Rutter Mills, LLP Employee Reviews

Positive Enviroment to Work
Pre-Litigation Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 18, 2019
A typical day at Rutter Mills includes handling multiple files, heavy client contact, contact with medical providers and insurance adjusters. The office is fast paced but not so fast that it is impossible to get the work done. Management is amazing! They look for innovative ways to help an employee succeed and keep morale high. Management is open to ideas from employees to create an easy flow of work. Management is constantly striving to keep up to date on current technology. For example, the use of Legal Monkeys for retrieving medical records and medical bills. This alone helps the pre-litigation paralegal maintain many files and move the files to a demand stage without having to write to every medical provider. Training sessions are offered for all employees, and a productivity coach comes to the office several times throughout the year. All the attorneys are approachable and willing to share their knowledge and experiences which helps the employee create a better work product.. Sometimes life throws a monkey wrench and management is willing to work with the employee. The people who work at Rutter Mills are the best, and go to all lengths to make sure everyone feels apart of the team. Some departments offer incentives. This works for several reasons: 1. keeps files moving 2. gauge how the employee handles certain aspects of their job 3.when weaknesses are identified individual department managers can help the employee overcome and re-organize and move their files on a better track.
The management recognizes the stresses that come with working with injured people who
  more... may have never been in an accident, and to show their appreciation, they hold out of office outings. For example, going to a Tides Game, a hockey game, and the famous holiday party in December, just to name a few.
If you are looking for an employer who truly cares about the employee and his/her success apply to Rutter Mills. You won't be disappointed.
Pros
Employee Incentives, lunches paid for from time to time, free parking, attorneys treat employees with respect
Cons
Short Lunch Break
Everything is a BIG FRONT
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 4, 2019
I thought this was the perfect job for me, until I was laid off for NO legit reason! The Women there are very catty and two faced they all talk about each other and smile in each other’s faces. They want you to WORK the way they work and criticize the stupidest things. They give you free flowers and food when you first start which makes you think wow these people really love their employees
Until you go to HR and express a concern you have then 1 hour later you’re being told it will not work and you are terminated! Worst decision in my life coming to this place!
Cons
Short breaks
Overworked & Underpaid
Paralegal/Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 24, 2018
Great company at the beginning.....All a facade. It’s a great company to learn from and take those skills to a better job. Most employees are overworked which in turn creates an environment of rude staff members. Not the best place for advancement, they make it very clear of who is “in” by the way they communicate to and about people. If you really need the job, take it , learn as much as you can, keep your mouth shut and be applying for other positions! Never seen behavior from people who was so old before in my life! Environment of many people that acts as though they dread to be there.
Pros
They give flowers for everything
Cons
Everything else
Great Environment & Place to Work
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 15, 2018
I appreciate the Rutter Mills culture and drive to exceed client expectations. Colleagues are very friendly and genuinely care about clients and each other. The management team is organized and transparent. I highly recommend this fast paced progressive organization.
Pros
Staff lunches, paid time off including holidays
Great Place to Work
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 16, 2018
Rutter Mills is a great place to work. Management follows the philosophy that if you take care of your people, your people will take great care of your clients. I've never enjoyed my time at a company more than I enjoy being part of the Rutter Mills team.
Not good.
Legal Assistant/Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 10, 2018
Very political, very much full of drama. Very catty, not genuine. There are a lot of things that go on behind closed doors. And then the next day you suddenly don't have a job.
Seems amazing in the interview but...
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 4, 2018
This place seemed like it would be the perfect fit based on my interview but I have thoroughly not enjoyed my time here. The people are nice for the most part, although there is high turnover. The pay is terrible and management tries to make up for it with purses for Christmas. They also give out a lot of free food and flowers. But after a couple of years, the novelty wears off and I can definitely say I wish they would just give people a decent salary instead.

I can't reiterate enough how kind my coworkers are. Truly a great staff that takes care of their clients. I would definitely hire the firm to work on my behalf but I wish they would treat their people a little better. Not overwork the staff as much and hire some more folks to help out.
Pros
Nice coworkers, free coffee/drinks, great location
Cons
Low wages, work on federal/state holidays
Best employer I've ever worked for
Pre-Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 2, 2018
I worked for this firm several years ago, but it is still truly the best work experience I have had. Management had an open door policy and was very supportive of their staff both professionally and personally. The culture was not stressful, everyone had respect for each other, and staff always helped each other out. At the time I worked there, they offered monetary bonus incentives for productivity and were very generous with holiday bonuses as well. The partners of the firm are extremely intelligent and knowledgeable (yet personable) and always eager to educate/mentor anyone who is interested in learning more.
Pros
Workplace Culture, Supportive Management, Bonuses, etc...
Cons
None I can think of
Overworked
Operations Manager / Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2018
The environment has become very hectic and stressful. You compete for your job every day and the demands for your work production are unreasonable and the expectations are absurd.
Newcomers are not welcome to the corporate culture
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 27, 2017
I worked here for 6 months before being laid off/terminated in 2013 due to decreased revenues in the worker's compensation practice. When I realized there was a decrease in revenue in January I asked whether I should start looking for another job but was assured that "Rutter Mills was a family that took care of its employees." That was not my experience. I was laid off/terminated in August with only two weeks severance.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Small firm not much flexilibity.
Large Plaintiff's Firm
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 15, 2017
Pleasant firm, treating employees well. All plaintiff's cases, and good system in place to handle such cases expediently. Compensation and bonuses are top notch.
Favorite Job to date
Litigation Paralegal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VaJuly 27, 2015
Fun place to work, challenging every day, learned about the power of 'the exhibit'. Quickly moved up from entry level position to Paralegal Assistant. I would work there again.
Pros
Fair amount of employee support
Cons
Wasn't there long enough
cared about employees
Paralegal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 9, 2014
Management cared about their employees and always had incentives to work your hardest and rewarded their employees around the holidays with fun parties and different perks.
Very polite staff to work with.
Personal Injury Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2013
I would typically arrive at 7:00 each morning, which was two hours earlier than my shift began. I would prepare for the day preparing documents, reviewing deadlines, checking appointments for myself and my attorney. I supervised a paralegal assistant so I would plan her day with daily tasks. Received intake phone calls for new business, met with clients, managed scheduling order, filed court documents with the court, Attended trial when necessary.
Pros
Coach handbags at Christmas
Cons
Short lunch breaks