Ryder Employee Reviews

Professional Well Organized Workplace
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIMay 25, 2018
I worked 16 years at Ryder. It wasn't always perfect, but I almost always looked forward to going to work each day. Ryder has top flight benefits and pay, they encourage advancement from within, and the management style is casual but productive. It's good place to work.
Good job for somebody desperate
Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2018
Work for Ryder and you may not get paid on time. OK if your in bad need of a job. Your work hours and off days can be changed at a days notice. It took 2 months for them to get my pay right and set up my direct deposit.
Great culture full of great employees.
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 21, 2018
As a summer intern they did a great job of making me feel welcomed and part of the team. It was not the typical clock in and clock out mindset. The employees loved their work and were passionate about the business. It is no surprise to me that Ryder is so successful as everyone I worked with there loves their job and knows they are critical to the entire system. I gained exposure to a lot of things such as business meeting and the gathering and analysis of data.
Stressful Enivronment
Assist customers (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAMay 19, 2018
A typical day consist of 20-25 phone calls at the most. 10-15 calls are made for every one call you take. Management is unorganized and do not communicate well. Hardest part of job is environment.
Unique...that's for sure
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAMay 18, 2018
Management is terrible. If you have something fall over they will just drive by and not help. Look and laugh. They stay in office all day and use office as a frat house yet whine about numbers but hardly do anything to help out. Favortitism is heavy. Some always get easy work and some always get stuck with the hard stuff. If you're a smoker you have to walk clean to the road to smoke a cigarette. They have 8 bathrooms there but only 2 open. Management hardly take their job seriously....until numbers are getting bad then its an issue. Rumors galore. Health insurance isn't very good.
Pros
learned how to run a clamp. pay is good
Cons
pretty much everything else
IT Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INMay 17, 2018
It was nice to work in fast paced environment with No other IT Support..It was my first job as IT in this workplace with mixed employees. Engineers and Warehouse associates
Great job with variety and training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 17, 2018
I would still be there if I didn't have to move for my husband's job. If there were a Ryder location near me, I'd apply in a heartbeat. There is opportunity for advancement and training available.
Pros
Paid holidays, overtime, vacation time, sick time.
Cons
Long commute
Busy workplace
warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYMay 17, 2018
employee concerns slow to be heard, hot/cold working conditions. Yearly pay raises minimal. Some managers very helpful, others too overworked to hear concerns.
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2018
Ryder is a great company only bad thing I can say is the lack of advancement. Once you come on as a Tech 2 you will never move up unless your friends with the supervisors. Was told to take all the recommended classes to move up to a Tech 3 as I completed all the recommended classes was given every excuse why I could not get promoted but on the other hand friends of the supervisor got the positions without taking the recommended classes first. You had to threaten to quit or transfer to get a raise.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Lack of advancement
great company, good benefits, friendly environment
Executive Assistant, Senior Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 16, 2018
Working at Ryder is demanding, energetic and stressful. Within each department, upper management does their best to create a healthy work/life balance.
ryder
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 16, 2018
it was a okay place to work the job training was not all that great.The work was difficult cause they would always move you around when you have not had proper training in that area.
Pros
longer lunches
Cons
shorter breaks
Not A Good Fit
SUPPLY CHAIN ENGINEER V (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDMay 15, 2018
Ryder is a very successful company, but they are like Amazon in that there is not a good work life balance which I firmly believe in. Ryder is also a very segmented company, meaning that internal business units are very isolated from each other. If you like an environment like this, then you will excel at a company such as Ryder. Otherwise, stay as far away as possible.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Former Logistics Manager
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  PAMay 14, 2018
Where to start? Ryder was a great place to work when I first started. The focus was on drivers and driver safety, as well as ensuring that drivers had a home life. After working for Ryder on an account that was likely one of the most difficult customers they have on the books, I learned very quickly that as a manager it is our job to ensure the customer was always right, even if that meant driving around in circles all day and doubling back over the route already driven to deliver product to a customer costing 2x the amount in fuel surcharges. As a manager you will be required also to sit on about 3-5 meetings a day (while you are supposed to keep track of routing, customer concerns, invoicing, payroll, disciplinary actions and driver evaluations). The time spent on calls alone is enough to warrant needing an assistant, which in many cases you do not have. After transferring to another team, life became much easier as the customer change seemed to help a bit. Same amount of responsibility but a customer that more understood the purpose of a logistics manager. What it all boils down to at Ryder when looking at the Logistics Manager positions, is what account are you on?
Pros
Comparable compensation, benefits, management (depending on team), promotion availability
Cons
No "off work hours", some terrible customer accounts, whining drivers who know it all (10% of the time), responsible for all actions of those on your team, babysitter for grown adults
Productive and a fun place to work
Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 14, 2018
I enjoyed working for Ryder.The hours were flexible but but I needed something closer to home.if things ever changed and I lived closer I would most certainly come back.
monthly award for drivers with on time deliveries for a month
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 10, 2018
delivering to three to five stores with a manual pallet jack, hardest part of the job is having to pull a full pallet of water off the truck, completing all deliveries is the best part. The job is fast pace and demanding.
Pros
you get to sleep in hotel for layovers
Cons
not having a set work schedule
Workplace
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Dayville, CTMay 10, 2018
Its all about satifying the customers needs and employees feel and get treated like just another number. Employees don't feel safe and continues to be over worked.
Pros
Cons
Camera installed to watch your every move
Excellent Empolyer
Rental Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 10, 2018
Leaving was a mistake. Great company, great atmosphere. Pride is common among employees. People who leave often return and you commonly find people who have parents and children who also work for the company.
Pros
Great team atmosphere
Cons
may be required to relocate to advance
N/a
Shipping Team Leader/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2018
I did not enjoy working here over time. this place does not value its employees. the shifts aren't compatible for a person that has a family. I give this job 5 thumbs down.
Good training program
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 8, 2018
Not a bad place to work just remember what they sale is customer service so it feels like you have more than one boss to answer to. I guess overall it's a good company to work for.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
short lunches
Management / Pay
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIMay 7, 2018
Management was lack luster, expected you to do more and more everyday. Caught the manager playing games on his computer while the shop was busy or everyone else was. Manager would never take responsibility for things and never properly explain or provide leadership.
Pros
Not a difficult job
Cons
Inventory was a joke, nothing ever charged out correctly, no personal accounting for anything. Always fell on the coordinator, management will never take responsibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryder. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.5Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight