Ryerson Employee Reviews

terrible place to work in
Senior Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJanuary 22, 2019
You can not trust management. Management only thinks of themselves and cultivate an environment ob backstabbing and mistrust. Their human resources department does nothing to help employees.
Pros
Cons
backstabbing culture
Quality Analyst and Coach (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJanuary 11, 2019
great place to work and great people to work with.
Great place to start your career with great Management.
great work place culture
most enjoyable part of the job besides the people is that we were well fed.
Fun to work there
Account Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CAJanuary 3, 2019
Fun to work there. good management. allows you to thrive and to make good money. learned a lot from management and other workers. culture is one of all pulling together.
Love this place
Materials Handler/Saw Operator (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEDecember 11, 2018
I've worked here 3 times now. The crew is awesome, the supervisor is very friendly and helpful and the only reason I ever left was to make more money. And I still ended up going back as part time.
Fun Workplace
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GANovember 8, 2018
Ryerson is a fun place to work at. Their employees know what they're doing, converse with their customers about their specific orders and both parties have to make an agreement. I learned new things while covering for someone who is in maternity leave. Had the best experience.
Not good
Steel warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 25, 2018
They are cheap and the majority of their equipment is faulty and they tell u to just get the job done. They hire temps and promise advamcememt but they let u go imstead of hiring on because the difference between the two pay is 6 dollars so it makes sense why they wont hire anyone, why pay someone 22 to do a job that they can get someone to do for 16 a hr.
Not a place to be for growth and opportunity
Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJuly 7, 2018
when i started at Ryerson i thought i would love this job because i always wanted to work with heavy machines.My time at Ryerson i prove to management that i was the man for the job. I've learn how to operate a forklift, side-loader, and also a overhead crane within a month.
one day at ryerson i was shocked by this open line i hit with the fork lifted that they have not fixed before i start working there and nobody was notified.They said i was lucky to be alive and made fun of me of that matter but i kept my head up and kept working.
The workplace is horrible their are a lot of rumors that goes around including supervisors.
The hardest part is trying to get everyone to work as a team.
The most i enjoyed about the job was operating the heavy machinery.
i also worked thought them through a temp service
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
no benefits
Dirty,filthy warehouse, very physical work
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 12, 2018
Dirty,stressful very physical work, poor management, rude and crude co-workers Can be fast paced and they push you really hard to get it done. If you want to work in the steel industry go for it.
Crane Operator/Loader (Current Employee) –  Vernon, CAJune 10, 2018
Retrain Inc. is a great place to start your career but unfortunately the career advancement just isn’t there. I would definitely recommend starting here.
very hard work
machine blaster (Former Employee) –  Eldridge, IAMay 6, 2018
It is a very dirty job. It is fast- paced and involves a lot of heavy lifting. It wears you out. Your are constantly moving the product one place to another.
Fast paced and aggressive
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eldridge, IAApril 5, 2018
Aggressive production pace and requirements. Management needs training in employee relations and workflow processes. A lot of turn over of employees and tends to hire temp workers until they have to hire full time.
Good place to work for
Senior Cognos Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILMarch 31, 2018
Ryerson was a fine place to work for. The work load was fair and challenging. Enjoyed working with the team mates. Business interaction had been professional.
Pros
Good company
Great Team Environment
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMarch 7, 2018
It has been a long time since I have worked there but I really did enjoy working for Ryerson. My Boss was amazing and I learned the business there. Always super supportive.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
a little stressful
Ryerson
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 18, 2018
Took the job because I needed work not my choice for a career. If you want to work in the steel industry might be the place for you. Fast paced at times very physical work dirty enviroment
Pros
not bad pay
Cons
hours, enviroment, people
competitive
SAP Software Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 9, 2018
busy days, always new opportunities to investigate. all employees worked as a team.
a typical day at work was a busy day working with sales team to insure proper inventory to service customers.
Pros
good co-workers
Make your calls people!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXJanuary 17, 2018
If you are not afraid of making cold calls, dealing with customers who want their material NOW, and with starting low on the totem pole... then this is the position for you! but let me advise you that this definitely is a competitive and stressful job. You are forced to reach goals that are sometimes unattainable such as making X amount of calls, or x amount of sales, but the benefits and 401k is there and it does pay off. people that work there are good people, for the most part and in my experience at least. To move up you have to show dedication, knowledge in the product and process and be able to relocate. Good luck!
Pros
friendly people, 401k, friendly customers
Cons
management, outcalls
Stressful, backstabbing place all created by plant managment
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hickman, ARDecember 12, 2017
I was an employee at Ryerson Hickman for 11 1/2 years. During those years I gain a lot of experience. The experience I gain ranges from machine operating, maintenance, to supervising. The first five years were an exiting place to work. Once operating management were replaced things went down hill fast from there. The production was the first to go, then morale, teamwork, and safety. It was as if these people wanted this place to fail. There were theft of material, copper, parts, and equipment.
Demanding Company
Genral Plant Operation (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2017
I gave it my best for Ryerson. 29 years of hard work. It is shame to end that way. closing plant and say good bye to all your co-workers was one of the most difficult stage of closing a complex.
ordering
Order picker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2017
Assemble product according to orders. Loading and unloading trucks. I looked over shipping and receiving to make sure things were operating on time. Operating overhead crane.
work
Shipping & Receiving Clerk/AR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2017
this job the best job I ever had and work ethic was and the other employees where very great to me also the location felt very safe to work at and had great advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryerson. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss