San Antonio Military Medical Center Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Long Hardwork
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78234May 5, 2018
If you like long days and even longer nights then SAMMC is for you. It offers a lot of opportunity to learn patient care but the hours are very long.
Productive hospital plenty of cases to gain knowledge
Primary Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 29, 2018
An amazing work place , 28 OR rooms , it is a training facility therefore you're gaining knowledge with every case. There are family oriented shifts as well as school schedule accommodating shifts. Great staff of course it is mostly military . Multiple food courts monthly events and activities for employees. 1 of 2 trauma hospitals in the great city of San Antonio
busy place to work
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2018
busy place to work, lots of micromanagement; learned a lot from the patient diverse population. constantly changing leadership being a military place to work
the place to be
Clinical Nurse, Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXMarch 19, 2018
The work hours aren't bad, the people are great to work with, but at times it can be stressful as far as the requirements go. l But if you're invested and are a GS employee it may be worth your while to stay and retire.
Pros
Pto
Good place to start
Cardiology Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 17, 2018
It was my first civilian job and it wasn’t a bad place to start. Like any place it can be stressful but overall not a bad time working there. I would give it a shot to start out
excellent job without risk of getting called off due to low census
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  FortMarch 13, 2018
Typical day at work for each nurse is very busy taking care of up to 6 patients and managed, supervised, and assisted nursing staff as Charge Nurse. We worked well together in our own unit; helped each other out to get work done. The hardest part of the job is the poor relationship between labor and delivery, antepartum, and postpartum nurses. This only became an issue when the units (labor and delivery, antepartum, and postpartum) separated. Before then we all worked well together in LDRP. Another hard part of the job is having to complete multiple training requirements on a monthly basis and expected to do this while on duty. It is not conducive to learning. However, despite all these, I still highly recommend working for SAMMC (or BAMC). Each facility has its own issues and I still rate working for Department of Defense as the best experience I have had as a nurse, both as an active duty and as a civilian. I am only searching for a new job to get out of in-patient care, work regular hours, and be off weekends and holidays.
Great team on my unit.
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2018
Your experiences will depend on your leadership, which rotates out every 2 to 3 years. Otherwise a great place to work. I loved the team I worked with - fantastic nurses that will come together and help you through just about anything.
Fun place to work
LVN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXFebruary 19, 2018
Good job with benefits. Federal benefits, Good retirement. Short hours. Good parking. Friendly. Provide great patient care. Good food at a low price.
Pros
good pay
Cons
slow advancement
World Class Facility
INTENSIVE CARE UNIT LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2018
I worked at this wonderful establishment for 4 1/2 years. I loved it here. There were always opportunities for advancement and there was the best medical care that coould be provided to civilians and active duty personnel.
good
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 7, 2018
a typical day was teaching students. so you always had a student with you. i enjoy spending time with my patients. i enjoy one on one time. teaching my patients how to breastfeed their babies. that is hard to do when you have to teach students the computer system and everything else. i understand this has to be done. i understand that is a teaching hospital but it never ends.
Pros
time off
Cons
breaks
Productive and a fun workplace to grow.
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2018
Productive and a fun workplace to grow but you have to be a person with integrity, intelligence and energy. And if you don't have the first the other two things you will not be successful.
Pros
Opportunity to grow
Cons
unable to be unsuccessful
Typical workday
Health Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2018
A typical workday for me begins at 7:00 AM and ends at 4:00 PM. Time management is done by the employee. You set up a time to see patients regarding their medical board and when not seeing patients you are doing paperwork and making calls. The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing a soldier leave your office happy with the benefits they will receive from the DOD and VA.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Can be busy
does not apply
ECMO Specialist (Current Employee) –  ICUDecember 17, 2017
does not apply, I am a active reservist, so my pay and time does not reflect what an actual nurse or NP would make. I work essentially 3/4 time and self schedule
Nice Environment
Surgical Intermediate Care Unit RN (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 24, 2017
They should spend more money on hiring more staff to help out, vital sign machines that actually work, telemetry monitors that work, hire bed coordinators that know how to place patients.
Pros
awesome diner
Cons
complacent leaders
Challenging and rewarding
Critical Care RN (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78234October 3, 2017
great team work within the units, always can count on a helping hand. challenging situations and patients offering the opportunity to always improve your professional and personal role in and out of work.
Pros
lunch
Cons
not enough breaks
Sammc
Health Systems Specialist GS-0671 (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 20, 2017
The atmosphere was generally very nice and laid back. I enjoyed my work and was always busy. Always had enough work as we were understaffed but we also worked in groups to accomplish the work and everyone worked as a team.
Pros
benefitw, education
Cons
poor leadership
Well organized and true professionals.
J &J Worldwide Services - Generator Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2017
We always had workloads that filled the day, most employees would be willing to help with management support. I don't fell that, unless there was an emergency, we were ever overloaded.
Pros
Benefits and Family support.
Cons
Strict rules to follow.
Decent Place to Work
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 28, 2017
San Antonio Military Medical Center is a good place to learn about Army medicine. They perform an important mission. Biggest drawback is that it is government work, which ends up almost like being contract work since the budget fight comes up every year and puts a lot of stress on the staff. Such a shame considering that these people are responsible for taking care of young men and women who have been serving the US overseas in the longest period of conflict in the Nation's history..
Career long type of place
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 23, 2017
Very much enjoy the nursing aspect of SAMMC. Adequate staffing is a huge bonus which allows the nursing staff to adequately care for people to the best of their ability. I intend on staying here fora long time! Everyone works hard and the best part is they have pride in the work they do.
Pros
Staffing, teamwork, pay, benefits
Cons
Traffic to work!
Hospital
Clinical Administration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
Power struggle between branches. Overworked employees, Cutthroat leadership, backstabbing, hiding truth against employees, struggle with moral, and hard to keep employees.