San Antonio Water System Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very poor management.
Senior Web Developer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2018
Management is very poor. Most managers can't code. Rarely know what any developer is talking about. They demand projects to be completed without any requirements. They profess to be an agile shop, yet our scrums last over an hour, on average.
Pros
Gym on site, covered parking
Cons
Poor management
at first it was fun working there but it started getting bad.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 21, 2018
i learn a lot of thing in which how to fix water break and sewer breaks and take safely classes. and help me with my cdl in which i have to drive because you have to drive a dump truck.
Pros
good benefits when in my time.
Cons
no morale in the team.
Not so good to work
Field Operations Rep (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 17, 2018
They only hire within positions that are coming up are already filled even before they get to the part where anyone can apply they just put the position posted because they have to. No advancement unless you know someone or someone there is family or friends.
benefits
Cons
everything else
depends on department
n/a (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 13, 2017
Depending on the department and management individuals; it might be an EXCEPTIONALLY awesome place. On the other hand, there are bosses that will make your time there miserable to the point of forcing you out/ make you want to quit.
Pros
various work hours
Cons
too many politics & brown nosing
Learned a whole bunch while working there.
Control Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2017
Working for the city was very satisfying. While on call, knowing that I was the only one responsible for the whole city was very gratifying. My actions and efforts affected the whole city.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Wages controlled by Rate Payers
hard working fast paced
Field Service line Technician/meter Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 13, 2017
if you never work hard you will this job is fast paced lots of public contact so watching you language is a must you,ll how to repair water pipes from 3/4 to 48" street repair concrete repair you.ll have to work in all kinds of weather you dont quit cause it,s raining you get the pump out
Pros
it kept a roof over my family
Cons
you work in all kinds of weather
Excellent place to be promoted
Manager of Maintenance Services (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 19, 2017
Started as an Electrician and was promoted immediately upon receiving recognition or acquiring licenses. Was recognized on several occasions and received numerous awards.
Pros
travel to many other states
Cons
Expensive insurance
Easy workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2017
Really easy work place, management can be a little more friendly and the advancement is not as available (due to small call center) as other companies but overall... good to work for.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Advancement
Business Analyst -Former Employee
Business Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 12, 2017
I would not recommend working for this organization if you have family members in private businesses who hold contracts with SAWS. This organization takes relationships to private companies very literally. If have family that may do business with SAWS, look for another job. Although you may not have any dealings with your family members company, you will still be judged on those relationships.
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
Management is not responsible
Horrible workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2017
Horrible, prejudice place to work and please don't be hospitalized or injured in an auto accident as they have no heart. They have you working while you have bronchitis and strep throat. Heartless, careless people who state in training the only people that they want working for their company. Don't let the pay fool you, you are never respected and they are dishonest.
Pros
Benefits and cafeteria with lunch deals
Cons
Management, training, racism
Little advancement
Technical Field Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 14, 2017
Company provided little advancement and management was lack luster. Training was pieced together by department and never give clear list or description of job responsibilities. Management failed to provide consistent expectations of all employees.
benefits
Cons
Pay and lack of advancement.
Horrible Organization
Water Plant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 23, 2017
This is a renegade public utility. They do not feel that the rules ,regulations and laws of the State or Federal government apply to them.
They employ managers who have little or no understanding of the jobs they are tasked to do. They only care about self promotion and maintaining the status quo. They will allow unsafe conditions to persist and punish employees who point them out.
Pros
Pay, benefits.
Cons
Culture of fear. It motivates all managers.
Wouldnt waste your time
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2017
To say working for my city was an advantage, it rolls off the tongue and i was very proud. However it took me by surprise to actually find out SAWS is disorganized, the management purposely tries to come off intimidating and they do the opposite of taking good care of their employees. Not to mention before being hired on as permanent, they treated us "temps" with disrespect - as if we did not deserve the same respect as the actual permanent employees. Also there are more than plenty of departments to transfer to however there is no room for advancement
Workday in the Call Center
Supervisor Call Center (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2016
Access operating/application systems for start of day, generate cash drawers, review emails/calendar, review attendance report, ensure associates have logged into operating/application ready to take calls at 8:00am. Monitor CSA's hourly work, answer questions relating to customer inquiries; provide feedback to csa's. Report staffing data; answer/resolve escalated issues. Schedule attendance, training, lunch/break times for csa's. Interact/communicate with various departments within SAWS to ensure adherence to procedures. Document processes and procedures and validate for accuracy. Process stat reports and provide weekly information to management and employees. Process time keeping records, administration of time off requests. Meet with management to discuss daily stats, issues and overall key performance indicators. Address additional issues that may arise daily.
Pros
The diverse employees I work with and mentor.
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities.
Long term career based business
Permit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2016
Being one of the nations largest water utility, San Antonio Water Systems (SAWS) is a employee driven workplace. The compensation and benefits are impressive. The career advancement is a huge benefactor, because it allows this company to retain the employees and the knowledge they contribute.
San Antonio Water System GIS Department
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2016
Typical day: Management was very supportive and empowering in our work activities. They understood our abilities and allowed us to make meaningful contributions and offer insights into their projects.

Learned: Geographical Database creation and maintenance.

Management: Can't say enough about these fine individuals and the way they identified our strengths and allowed us the freedom to enhance their projects.

Co-workers: Have rarely experienced better people to work with, we all made the work easier to perform by coordinating, and both seeking and offering insights at all levels of our assignments.

Hardest part: this was a 6 month term position and I was unable to accept their offer for a full-time position at the conclusion.

Most enjoyable: My best friend from my Masters Program was hired as well and we were able to accomplish a lot.
Pros
Management very interested in our ideas.
Cons
Only a 6 month term position
Good place to work alot.
System Business Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2016
A lot of work and need better management .

It does make the day go faster.

A lot of micro-management in the departments.

Benefits are better than other places.
Benefits
Cons
Micro Management
Serving The Community
Senior Environmental Lab Chemist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2015
Love to serve the community of San Antonio. There is a lot of red tape and politics, but service is the number one goal. Enjoy working with other departments to get the job done. Management is scarce and non-efficient if present at all.
Pros
Salary and freedom
Cons
Lack of growth and limited future
laid back environment for any employee
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  san antonioMay 14, 2015
Being an intern was enjoyable but must be self starter! Most of the EIT or PE had work for you but you needed to stretch it out. Most of the work could be done in an hour or so. I got a lot of experience with city ordinances, state, & federal regulations. Unfortunately, no modeling in my department.
Pros
approachable management, freedom to come and go
Cons
no modeling, could not work over 29hrs, limited experience
Easy and Fun if you like a fast pace work atmosphere
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 21, 2015
A typical day of being a San Antonio Water System employee would be waking up at 6:30 every morning and getting your job assignments for the day before 7 am. As a meter reader you work rain or shine. Typically you as a meter reader have to read at least 600 house a day to met the standards. On the plus side of this is that the faster you work the faster you get to go home and still get paid. Overall SAWS is a great company to work for no matter what job you have.
Pros
paid holidays, sick leave, overtime
Cons
working in any weather conditions