San Bernardino County

Clear
3.7Pay & Benefits

countysanpublicdepartmentsupervisorretirementofficecase

Good career choice

Good job I am happy working here. I would definitely recommend this position. I work by myself and I am not supervised. The hours are good and I am happy.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Days are long as there is no work to do. Coworkers are conniving.

Way too much politics for entry level jobs. Management is like dictators and they have no experience to manage subordinates. Everyone is in everybody else’s business. No respect to others values and or personal space and religion. Forced to celebrate even if you opt not to. Poor guidance and no sense of liability. Coworkers too busy trying to make others look bad to gain dilutions of grand standing and belittle others. Toxic work environment and HR could care less. No retirement until after 20 years of service.

Pros

Cons

Short breaks, Healthcare and benefits are expensive and ridiculously priced, minimum wage

San Bernardino County insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Over worked due to staffing issues

It seems we never have enough people and we are constantly trying to hire. The low pay is definitely an issue. With rising costs of living, people want to be paid more. Management has been responsive to COVID and given employees more flexibility.

poor management from the top trickles down to us the workers, They are not worth having us great skilled experienced workers there!

Not a retirement job at all with San Bernardino County, there are much better jobs out there that will appreciate our working skills and years of experience with a better salary pay, job security, appreciation, and benefits package.

Pros

None that I can think of at all, no pros with San Bernardino county

Cons

Everything is a con with San Bernardino county, nothing good happens there. they need to make many changes from the top first.

Good

The county has excellent benefits and opportunities for promotion. The county also focuses on service and purpose. I liked all my coworkers. Good time off.

Benefits

Cons

High work load

Nice

Nice to put on your resume but long term the pay isn’t enough. Encourages promotion if you have the qualifications. Offers a 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off.

Pros

9/80, Retirement

Cons

Pay

Great Benefits

County jobs have great benefits and perks. Lacks management skills. People are comfortable in their position and care more about the money than the job itself.

Pros

Benefit packages

Cons

It's who you know that will get you where you want to go.

love it here! it’s a great place to work

i love working here. nice people, fair and sweet. there awesome here! the work load is fairly distributed amongst everyone and the pay is also fair as well

Pros

job security, competitive pay

Cons

stressful

Underpaid understaffed

Undervalued, not worth it for the benefits. Depending on the dept and management you'd be in a good place in the long run. Beware of TAD, it's a tough stepping stone if you don't have a strong network.

Please run

Over worked and under paid. A lot of your money goes to Union dues, pension, health , vision and dental insurance. The Delta dental is horrible. The job is stressful some days you leave with no energy for family. The whole system is based off numbers and not helping the people as I thought it was about. Customere do expect you to go above and beyond when they are fully fuctioning adults. If you have other options don't waste your time.

Pros

Helping customers in need

Cons

Hours, managers, pay, work load

Great benefits but low wages. Some of the positions should be reclassified as they are very underpaid.

Great environment but management isn’t the best. The job would be more enjoyable if there was more team work and the job paid better. The pay is terrible considering you’re working for the county.

Pros

Flexible schedules

Cons

Underpaid

i guess is good for experience

I worked for the preschool services. The hours are horrible and no good benefits. They just keep adding more and more kids with very little time for paperwork to get finished. If you love children and want to get experience i guess this can be a start.

Pros

get holiday's off with pay

Cons

not very helpful

There is always a place to move to if you are not a fit in your department so there is a place for everyone. The hours are good and even though you work a fixed schedule it is also flexible due to the 9/80 you are able to work.

Personal Fulfillment

Great for experience and having a meaningful job. Schedule is flexible depending on where you work. Opportunities for advancement. Pay is decent. Union is a plus.

Bleh

It’s an ok job if you are not interested in work all you to is sit down and work sometimes. Pretty easy job no complaints. They could do a little better with management.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

No comment

Stressful

Low pay high stress . I work in a specific sector and the training there is non existent. I would have thought that for the pay, it would be a lot less stressful.

Stressful

Lack of communication. Not really team oriented. Workplace morale isn’t good. Management should do something to improve workplace culture to provide better assistance to the public.

Pros

Holidays off and benefits

Cons

Management, caseload

Challenging Clientele/Stressful Job

Although excellent pay and benefits, working for a government agency is very challenging. Many rules and regulations make job tough. Management is very punitive.

Pros

Salary and benefits

Cons

Challenging clientele; unsupportive management

Fun workplace with good schedule

Workplace is fun and coworkers are nice and easy to get along with. Benefits are good but the pay could be better. Some departments offer a 4/10 or 9/80 schedule which is nice.

Pros

Benefits, fun workplace, coworkers are nice

Cons

Low pay

Nice spring board

It is a great place to start out with however the pay and benefits could be a lot better. Caseloads are High with no signs of decreasing anytime soon

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay

Generally okay

There’s a lot of job security. You generally get a good amount of time off, accruing vacation at 2 weeks per year and sick time around the same. Generally a more conservative county org to work for

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Bernardino County. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare San Bernardino County with

• San Bernardino County
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?