San Diego Blood Bank Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Lab Technician/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2018
I enjoyed working there, being on the mobile buses going to different companies having blood donation from all the patients. Working in the labs was an learning experience.
Pros
I learn a lot.
Cons
low pay
Night Data Crew
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2018
Come in at 7 pm. Get paid 12/hour. Only guaranteed 4 hours a night. Total of 4 people when I was working there. Generally, a great place to start none-the-less especially if you are in school for anything. There is no room for advancement though.
Pros
Easy-going
Cons
No Upward Movement
Positive mission with significant impact on patient lives
Clinical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 23, 2018
San Diego Blood Bank has many good people to work with and offers a lot to learn. It is a fast-paced work environment with no tolerance for mistakes. Management seems disconnected to daily front line operations.
Awesome Place to Work
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2018
The department I worked in was amazing, they nurtured career growth and allowed me to wear as many different hats as I could bear. I really enjoyed my time there, and if it wasn't for my wife being transferred, I would have stayed with them.
it was a great cmpany to work for.
Tele-recruiter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 21, 2018
it wasn't just a company it was a family. everyone demenstraighted a high work ethic and had the desire to do there best to help others and ensure all propper steps were taked to up hold rules and regulations.
Management was very supportive
LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2018
Support from other employees and from different departments. Amazing leadership and everyone worked together to accomplish the daily tasks. The job was not hard at all.
Great place to work. Great company
Donor Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2017
Great place to work. Less stressful, fun co workers and supportive managers. Best job for someone looking to start career. Great benefits. Salary below market average.
I learned a lot there.
Phlebotomist/ Laboratory Technical 1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 9, 2017
the San Diego Blood Bank is an Important job.
The job gives you a bigger feeling in the community.
It is a place where you always have a daily reminder
that, you are an important element in the health of
your city.
None more than the day of 9/11.
I worked that day for about 16 hours or so.
I was inspired by all the donors who wrapped around
the streets in line to donate.
the donations of the local food company's fed everyone.
That sense of community is rare in any job.
Pros
Community Unity
Cons
I cant think of any
Quick paced, fun,
Blood Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 5, 2017
Good starting job to accumulate phlebotomy experience, customer relations, and good work ethic. It can be fast paced, yet your co-workers are laid back,and create a fun environment to be in. The job can be a bit unorganized with how big the company is, communication lacks between different centers/mobile teams and headquarters/administration. Management find different ways to make their employee's happy with providing free snacks, and food as well as appreciation events.
Pros
Laid back, good management
Cons
Bad communication causing stress, and unprofessional-ism between yourself and the donors.
Working hard as Data Entry
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 21, 2017
My typical day at work are multitasking by computer. I learned medical details and social management on the job. I enjoyed the phone communication through the videophone with the customers and co-workers. The workplace are good environment.
Pros
Free Lunches from supervisor, excersie for fifteen minutes, and Health Care
na
Donor Recruitment Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2017
I was knot working there for very long, i had extensive health issues, that limited my ability to continue working there I enjoyed my co-workers and the flexibility
good people
RN (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 22, 2017
I enjoy the employees and the donors. The people are friendly and it's nice to know that I'm helping save lives. The training is wonderful and I enjoy learning about research opportunities.
Work hours varies
Blood Collection Specialist/Phlebotomist/Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 8, 2016
Float in between mobiles and fixed sites. Can be moved to one or the other within 24hrs. You can know what your eight hours are but do not know exactly when your day will be over. Depends on the location of the mobile or if there is any traffic. It is cool to travel \. You get to know San Diego very well but be in at work as early 430 or late as 12 is not fun at all
Relaxed environment with enjoyable team members
Intern-Cell Theray (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2015
Management was very helpful and always able to talk. Receptive to questions and thoughts. Loved chit chatting with co-workers and actually looked forward to going into work. Amazing learning experience!
Nice place to work
Registered Nurse - Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAMay 12, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job is the donors!
Management is OK.
Co-workers are hard working people.
Some days are very busy, need more staff. Other days are slow.
Pros
Nice mission
Cons
Not as challenging as other RN careers
Has possibilities
Telerecruiter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2015
Call center isn't managed by professionals. Makes it awkward for those recruiting donors. Lots of unnecessary stress placed on callers and donors alike. Too many calls to donors who have requested not be called or have ignored calls for years but can't get off the list. The cause is important, their system is atrocious. Needs someone to take the system apart and put it together again so the stats can't be manipulated and the results aren't fabricated. The donors and callers are incredible people.
Pros
New CEO. Appears to be a strong leader.
Cons
Motivation should be enhanced, fear and intimidation eliminated.
stressful and unrewarding work place
Components Lab (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2014
Low salaries. Multiple lay offs in the last 2-3 years. Communication issues between different department managers. Disrespect and attitude from top to bottom. Old management style. No opportunity for growth. It's a stressful environment. Staff are expected to work really hard and there is no incentive based on performance. HR department is corrupted but nobody can do anything about it. This company is a sinking ship. I would not recommend to anyone to work here or even donate blood or money. Hundreds of units of blood are being thrown out weekly due to errors and bad management of the inventory. This place is a black hole! Good thing the ARC is still around!
good job
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 4, 2014
fun people to work with. i love this job knowing that everyday a person comes n just to give blood to help save a life. they get nothing in return other then knowing that one day they may need the help.. life changing job
Pros
great benefits
Cons
na
To be a part of helping save a life and to see the difference you make in the lives of others makes this company worth working for
Blood Collection Specialist (PT) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2014
Being a part of Mobile Collections for almost Nine years was a fun experience for me. I would have to say that mobile staff is great and I'm so grateful to have been a part of the unity that we all had together as a whole. I was lucky to have had the best team and co-workers. Mobile collections was always a new adventure, a different place each day which gave me the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people and see so many different places in our community. To work on mobiles you have to be extremely flexible in the hours you work and the environment you work as well. The best part of this job was knowing that I was able to help save lives and get to know the patients and families of the lives I was helping to save. Truly the most rewarding job I have had.
Pros
traveling all over the comunity and having the oppertunity to meet so many great people, Knowing that we were welcomed back to places we have been before and treated very well
Cons
The hours and no competive wages
A great place to work!
Registered Nurse, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 8, 2014
The San Diego Blood Bank was my place of work for nearly 17 years. I made many friends along the way and I was sad to leave.
I loved working with blood donors all day as they are some of the nicest people anywhere. We were busy almost every day and there were many challenges.
I really enjoyed working in apheresis and as a trainer. There were always challenges with the automated process and troubleshooting machines and difficult human situations was my specialty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Blood Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

San Diego Blood Bank Reviews by Location