San Diego Housing Commission Employee Reviews

Meeting new people everyday
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2018
Involved doing interior and exterior inspections to all the sites on a monthly basis. Conducted interior inspections on different units 6 to 7 times a day 5 days a week. Supervised a great maintenance crew.
Pros
No lack of work
Cons
Lots of driving and paperwork
Great place to work.
Human Resources Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2017
I was a an intern for the HR department at the San Diego Housing Commission. It was a great place to work with a lot of room for advancement and learning.
Agency serving people in need - Very customer driven
Regional Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2017
I learned so much about diversity and communicating with people. Most assignments were challenging and support was provided. Good team work and employees helped each other.
Pros
Positive management, fun loving employees
Cons
Work environment, very regulation driven
Free coffee and all the sodas you can drink
Receptionist / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 22, 2017
A very busy office, setting up conference rooms, ordering lunches and making badges for incoming customers and clients, ordering and stocking office supplies, transferring incoming calls, distributing incoming mail, The hardest part of the job is just keeping up and prioritizing my daily tasks. I enjoy when I get positive feedback from customers of the experiences that had when they was in the office.
Pros
Free coffee and sodas
A Great Job To Have
Administrative Assistant/Imaging (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2017
It's a good company. I would recommend it. Very good benefits. The atmosphere was professional and modern, yet laid-back.
Very Productive and professional enjoyble place to work
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 1, 2017
A lot of Team Work, very Friendly Environment with a lot of Challenging opportunities that help you enhance your skills daily.
Everyone around you is very supported.
Pros
Break Room with all appliances needed to cook
Cons
N/a
Stable job, retirement benefits
Contracts and Procurement Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 28, 2016
An older workplace. People stay for the retirement benefits and job security. Inexperienced management but decent company given the public sector status.
Pros
Every other friday off. Secure job
Cons
Lower pay, clunky bureaucracy
Worst professional experience ever.
Payed Inmate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 27, 2016
If you're the motivated, proactive sort who strives for excellence and has a desire to create a positive change for the better in your work environment, this agency, and in particular life on the 5th floor, is not for you. Competency is viewed as a threat to management and if you're an accomplished professional with high expectations, you will likely be run out of the revolving door in an unpleasant and unprofessional manner.

The inflated salaries and exceptional benefits quickly lose their allure when you realize that no matter how efficient you are in completing your work during normal business hours, it will be purposely bottle-necked by management in order to manufacture excuses to hold personnel over after hours, sometimes even forcing them to come in on weekends. It would be one thing if it was actually necessary but it's all a charade designed to create the appearance of a heavy workload where none exists.

If you can handle an oppressive work environment and enjoy being micromanaged on a level that's the stuff of a network sit-com, go for it. If this isn't you, run in the other direction.
Pros
Exceptional pay and benefits.
Cons
Oppressive and dysfunctional work environment.
Don't fix what's not broken
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Housing DevelopmentMarch 17, 2016
Prior to 2007 It was a WONDERFUL place to work. New leadership and a group of hand picked subordinates took over and managed to destroy, what was once a healthy, happy and diverse place of employment. It became about who you knew, and not how well you did. Years of loyalty and commitment were thrown out the window, while new Management rose hire on the ladder of success. This is a company that knows first hand how to break the rules and not get caught.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Poor management beginning with CEO
A partner to the high octane performer who like to keep busy
Site Cleaner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 23, 2016
A company built on travel, customer service, commitment and prestige. Essential parts or ingredients necessary in satisfying the ever-changing needs and wants of travelers.
great staff
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2015
they are a great staff who strive for excellence. they meet the financial needs of every client in a timely and orderly manner and they're always willing to help
Pros
friendly, caring
Cons
An erratic, potentially uplifting workplace
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2015
SDHC used to be a superb, employee-friendly employer. But the culture has changed. Possibly irrevocably. It is a place where you need to watch what you say, and to whom you say it. Open dialogue, suggestions and transparency are welcomed at a cosmetic, superficial level. It is an autocratic system designed to reward submission and complicity.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Unclear business practices, employee profiling, adversarial labor/management dynamic
Great Place to Work
Housing Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2015
The San Diego Housing Commission is a great place to work. They proved ample training to their employees. Some of the workload can be a little stressful, but what job doesn't have its stressful days.
Pros
Company Benefits
Cons
Large workload
Great workplace and people
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 4, 2015
Great workplace, culture, and people
medium turnover
Good work life balance
Challenging work
Minimal overtime
Good compensation and benefits
worst job ive ever had
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2014
A typical day began with my excruciatingly inexperienced manager fumbling through work orders for what she deemed "important" work issues. Which was laughable because on several occasions she claimed to not have any maintenance knowledge as it pertains to property management and site upkeep.

I learned absolutely nothing while with the commission. It did serve to keep certain skills tight (mostly plumbing and electrical disasters) but on a whole there was no new knowledge to be gained there.

I feel its the perfect job for someone who knows how to hold a screwdriver, or just learned, and is older, hoping to cash out on a pension for a few years work. Very little skill is exhibited from what Ive seen. I'm not at a journey level but I try to do good work and not call vendors for everything. Or "Mickey Mouse" my labor.

My immediate supervisor had a very small knowledge base and extremely uneducated in property management and site management. That I feel is what caused my end. I could have educated her more but I know my delivery was unsavory. A good friend told me to "treat them like their stupid without saying it". I should have heeded his advice. She failed to listen when good info was distributed, seldom walked units for quality assurance and mostly seemed like a puppet for her acquaintances that bought her into this company.

Of course the worse part of the job was the roaches and "slum-like" conditions of these residences ran by a state ran program. In a 5 month span I stepped foot on about 14 different properties for the commission, all were extremely worn
  more... down and/or severely roach infested coming into this position I assumed that since it was a government deal I'd receive parts quicker, take care of more people and be of greater assistance, nothing could have been more false.

I cant readily comment on any enjoyable part of the job. Free food at monthly meetings? Any and all enjoyment was assumed before my first day. From that point on I was waiting to go.
Pros
i love the maintenance field in general and happy i got a chance to see the inside of this company.
Cons
most everything; lots of gossip amongst grown men, lack of integrity throughout.
Work for a place that makes a difference
PROJECT MANAGEMENT & ANALYSIS INTERN (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2014
As an intern that has gone through several jobs, I can honestly say SDHC has given me the most career advancement opportunities out of everyone. I have developed advanced skills in Excel, writing RFP's, and working closely with a team of talented executives and supervisors.
Pros
great pay for interns
Cons
lack of company culture
Too many politics
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San DiegoAugust 19, 2014
Have you ever heard of the saying "it's not what you know, It's who you know"? Well that saying certainly applies to this company.
The pay is excellent, however very little room for growth if you aren't favoritized.
Most of the Housing Assistant are over worked and not compesated enough.
Office Assistants will most likely get stuck in that position for a very long time.
All i have to say is if you are great at kissing up then i am sure you will get very far in this company.
Certainly not an employer of choice.
Pros
Bilingual pay
Cons
Healthcare/Too expensive/Can't cover family/no room for growth
Very good company
Clerk Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 15, 2014
Excellent company to work for, very friendly group of people
Exellent Company to work Whith, I learned a lot from SDHC
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 31, 2013
I started With this Company as a Help Desk Tech for 1 month Contract. After Assembling the the 1st Floor Lab which was composed for 32 PC's the company has been extending my contract until Jan 2013. My job duties ranged from End user support and Systems Support (Windows Server- Exchange, Cisco Call Manager and VSphere from VMware)
Pros
Great People, Exellent Job Culture, Great Supervisors
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2013
Busy typical day, daily reports,meetings, on call 24/7
learned Yardi software
Management always available
friendly co workers
repetitive reports
independent working
Pros
medical benefits