San Diego Humane Society Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Not Happy
Guest Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2018
The only joyful thing about SDHS were the animals, but the managers will work you to death. They expect top quality work but not enough pay. They expect you to work overtime but will frown upon you if you request a day off.
Excellent mission
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJune 8, 2018
Enjoyable job with emotional mission. Requires mental fortitude and ability to be nonjudgmental of people. Excellent place to nurture those in need. Spend time with animals caring for their needs and finding them new homes.
Compassionate
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAMay 6, 2018
It overall is a very compassionate workplace. Best part is seeing the animals, especially the once unhealthy, sick, emaciated ones, make a turn around and go to their forever homes. The only downside is the Oceanside campus is split in 2 so a lot of commuting back and forth and the hours are 5/8s and not 4/10s. It sometimes is hard to come back from having 2 days off with the amount of work that needs to be done. Workplace culture is good, however, there are still people that lack that friendly, communicative, respectful atmosphere. I do enjoy that we try every possible rescue/exit for Barn/feral, unhealthy/ untreatable animals in hope they will find homes versus opting them for euthanasia. It is a enjoyable place to work at.
Animals in Need
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2018
This was the most wonderful place to volunteer. I had the best experiences and was extremely impressed with the management. They deeply care about their animals and take such good care of them. They care about people and the animals going home as companions. I volunteered with cats and dogs and felt excited and content being there.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Excellent place to work.
Veterinary Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 28, 2018
Great colleagues. Fun atmosphere most of the time. Hardest part of the job, is the tough cases that end in euthanasia. But they are rare. Most cases are positive outcomes by far.
great place to work
Animal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAJanuary 8, 2018
great starting pay and benefits. only real downside is lack of advancement. does require a certain type of person who can handle the difficulties that come with this line of work
Great Place to be and work
ANIMAL CAREGIVER (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJanuary 1, 2018
loved the job loved the management team was like family working there everyone was incredible and amazing and put in great team efforts definitely would go back to working fir the organization
Pros
great environment
Cons
A feel-good workplace with amazing staff
Foster Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2017
Daily tasks involved the supervision of young foster animals along with cleanup and maintaining a record of health. The most enjoyable part of the job was working around animals and cooperating with friendly staff.
Pros
Helping creatures in need
volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Linda Vista, CASeptember 7, 2017
this is a volunteer position only . I did event set up helping load cars with pet supply. Also helping with the paws and claws event, cleaning up and setting up chairs. I am a dog companion an the San Diego county animal shelter next door too the Humane Society, cleaning kennels also. I also would like too be a cat companion.
Feeding kittens
Seasonal employee in the kittens neonatal unit (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2017
I would go in for the overnight shift and feed the baby kittens. It was really hard on my body. The management was terrible. The workplace was bad, We were in a warehouse and it was so cold out. the hardest part of the job is staying awake all night throughout the daytime without falling asleep.
Pros
Kittens
Cons
Nightshift

Want to know more about San Diego Humane Society?

Ask a question
Great people with which to work
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 14, 2017
Most employees here are very devoted to the work of saving and helping animals. Culture is very "YES" oriented in terms of problem solving. SDHS has been successful in reaching out to the community in terms of offering assistance.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Salaries are low
so fun
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 14, 2017
great job if you love dogs, management at the time was lacking. honestly this was years ago and i dont have one hundred and fifty characters to type about it
Rewarding job but low wages
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 27, 2017
You see the best and worst of animals and humanity. You become specialized in the care that you give but are inadequately compensated and most movement is lateral. SDHS is focused on expansion and great care of animals but fails to provide many employees with a living wage, albeit above minimum. It is a labor of love, and while most settle for that, it can be frustrating to see that the large amount of funds from generous donors does not go toward raising the wages of skilled and undervalued workers.
Pros
Ability to learn new skills from a variety of projects, reward of helping animals, hiring from within
Cons
Low pay, compassion fatigue
Prodcutive, Outgoing and organized and fun
Guest Service Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Typical day at work for a guest relations associate is knowing what today is going to hold because events and rescues and fundraisers are happening all the time. Informing the guest about the organization and delivering the best customer service is key. Also its heart warming when we get to see our animals find their forever home.
Pros
Tons of benefits
Cons
Bit of lack of communication
Fun and enjoyable but sometimes difficult
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2017
I socialize with the cats as a companion. That mean I play with them, pet them etc. I have learned patience and responsibility taking care of all the animals as well as maintaining a clean and decent work environment. The hardest part of this job in particular is watching all the animals not being adopted, watching them look all happy and excited when people come to see them but not having them leave. Another thing that is really hard to see is when the dogs/cats come back to the shelter after a few weeks or months.

Finally the most enjoyable part is seeing the animals happy and playful etc.
Meaningful job, great leadership, mission oriented
Data Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 31, 2016
The hardest part of the job is not being able to take all animals in need of a home with you each night. The San Diego Humane Society lets you bring your pet to work each day, they encourage you to excel in any other areas of work that you are interested in. Senior Staff is very involved in making the employee happy and helps each employee with their personal growth program. The only reason I left was because I was moving to Las Vegas.
Pros
Bring your Pet to Work, Free Medical benefits
Cons
Since it is a non profit the pay is not as high
organize the field.
Service Project Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 11, 2016
- help, organize and clean up the humane society in Escondido
- share your availability and energy with the society
- get the assigned task done
- work along with my team very well
- work outdoor
- see everyone sharing the smiles
Fun place to be!
Cat Buddy/Dog Buddy (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2016
I volunteered at the San Diego Humane Society in high school and college. Loved the staff and the animals! It was a great experience having the opportunity to volunteer there.
Pros
Direct interaction with the animals
Cons
Fur being shed on clothes frequently
Fun, Friendly, and Adorable workplace
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2016
My experience at the humane society was amazing, my goal in life is to become a vet so working here was a great experience. My typical day at work consisted of feeding, bathing, and playing with the animals. As well as washing and cleaning cages, blankets, toys, bottles, bowls, ect. Overall, i learned how much work it is to take care of so many animals, but i would do it again. I find it the best job ever. The management was pretty good, they always made sure everything was on point and efficient. As for co-workers,they were all friendly and nice. We were all there because we cared so much for animals. it wasn't just a typical job where you just work to get paid. Here you worked to help the animals and care for them. Id say the hardest part of the job was making sure all the animals ate. Some would be sick and it would be very hard to feed them. So we'd have to stay with them 24/7 trying to make them eat. The most enjoyable part of the job was just loving, caring, and playing with the animals. You can never geo wrong with that.
Pros
Working with cute animals!
Cons
Animals not wanting to eat
Fun, motivating and fulfilling place to work if you love animals and like helping people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Excellent employer if you desire to work in the animal welfare industry, great training and potential for growth and professional development. Wonderful to spend your day around all the animals.
Pros
passionate people who love their work and are dedicated to the cause and animals
Cons
compassion fatigue, long hours and lots of work to do

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

San Diego Humane Society Reviews by Location