San Diego Metropolitan Transit System Employee Reviews

Team player
Transit Information and Trip Planning Clerk (Former Employee) –  Imperial Ave bus yardFebruary 7, 2019
Telephone and Transit Planning Infirmation Clerk great atmosphere and great co workers, location ( 16th & Imperial) sucks limited on property parking so you should use public transit and that is free as a benefit and they do need to get newer office equiment but if you are a giid people perso and have paitence with unhappy custonera then 8 hour day will go fast and night shifts are alot better to work
Pros
Hours pay co workers open door management
Place to work
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2019
I work there to receive free transportation. I enjoy not paying for gas. I learn you have to co-exist with people. I also learn walk away from a bad situation.
Demanding highly stressing
Student trolley operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 9, 2018
I was hired as a part time student train operator. The program is very short limited. Instructor expects you to learn all of the course in just 2 months. They scare you into studying and performing well if not they threthen to fire you. Way to stressful .
Pros
Good pay. Only part time hours
Cons
Not enough time to soak in all information for actual tests to come.
Good place to work with poor management
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 8, 2018
My job was excellent my mentor and shop foremen were all friendly and helpful. Once it came to the guys upstairs in charge of everything It seemed that they did not care about their employees. It seemed like employees were expendable to them.
Pros
Great benefits, unionized, Good immediate supervisors
Cons
poor company management
Low low pay
Flagger/switch tender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2018
I was a flagger /switch tender. Easy work. Boring work.The hours sucked. The pay was worse. I left in 2016 and the pay was $11.25 /hr
I would not recommend this job.
Pros
Cons
low pay, part time status, no advancement
Good middle-class position
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Kearny Mesa, CAMarch 20, 2018
If you like people and if you like driving this is the place for you if you do not then maybe this is not the place for you this place can provide a good middle-class living
Pros
Must like driving must like people it's Union and the pay is fair
Cons
The page is not quite keep up with the cost of living here in San Diego, you must like driving, dealing with people or else it'll make for a long day
grate environment to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 12, 2018
everyone is friendly very helpful supervisors assist as much as possible dress properly and you will be fine. drug free work place maintain professionalism at all times.
Pros
benefits 401 k.
Cons
long splits 3 to 4 hr splits.
A nice work environment with periods of slow and fast paced work
Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 31, 2017
A relaxed, easy going place to work. Office was usually quiet and easy to focus in. My bosses in particular were laid back and had a good sense of humor. I was able to work at my own pace for the most part.
Pros
No overtime, fairly relaxed office, nice lunches with my department
Cons
Office location is downright dangerous
Fun Atmosphere
Community Outreach Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2017
My only job was the community outreach part. So i would only deliver promotional items and information to transportation users. But it was a great way to inform MTS users since I ride the bus and trolley everyday.
No room for growth
Flag Person (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2017
I have worked for this organization for over 5 years, and administration does not promote growth or new educational opportunities that will promote growth. I would not recommend investing in this organization.
Good pay, no life balance, poor management, weak union
TRAIN OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 22, 2015
Good pay, no work/life balance, poor management, weak union, no benefits, good people/co-workers, beautiful area, split shifts.
Pros
Good pay, nice co-workers, family atmosphere
Cons
Poor benefits, weak union, split shifts, poor management, favoritism wins the day.
It was Ok
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2015
The management wasn't all there, the IT department was a full IT department. Everyone wore different hats for various tasks.
Pros
Benefits and pay. Thats it
Cons
Everything else
Working on the public transportation systems was rewarding.
Certified Electro Mechanic Lineman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2015
Working on the light rails was rewarding knowing my part of the job was done correctly so the public using the trandportation would get to their destinations safely.
Pros
being outside working with the public
Cons
the public would not follow direction which would result in tragedy.
tense work environment
Telephone information clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 16, 2013
It was a constant battle being a new employee at this place, most of the people working there had been doing so for many years, so most of the time you were feeling more unwelcome than welcome. It was a struggle because most of the time people were already divided in groups and apparently had made up their mind about the 'newcomer' before you even had the chance to branch out, so most of the time work was not something you looked forward to in your everyday life, and although the job was not that complicated everything around it made it so.
Pros
excellent benefits