San Diego State University

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

San Diego State University Employee Reviews

Job Security & Benefits
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 20, 2018
My truly and honest review, I have had multiple jobs working for the state of California. All of the previous state jobs have included great benefits and pay but sadly at SDSU the pay is terrible for the amount of work and quality of work the University expects.

Management can do a better job at helping the staff.

I have been working for 1 year and 9 months. We have been understaffed since i started my career there. We have 15 vacant positions that cannot be filled because management does not speed up the hiring process.

Nonetheless, my experience here has been good and bad. I do recommend working here but don't make it a place to stay for too long.It is a meritocracy. You wont get a raise for having more skills than required, people who have been working for longer have a priority in choosing their next career goals over the new employee.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management, bad HR, low pay, unrealistic expectations.
Good working environment with flexible hours
Student Assistant and Front Desk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 3, 2018
I was only a student assistant during my time as a student at San Diego State but the hours were flexible and I was able to take time off if I needed. The management and staff were super friendly and I had good relationships with everyone in the office. Obviously I didn't get any benefits or compensation nor was there much advancement as a student assistant but I did enjoy my time there.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Small pay raise
Multi-layered university with standard government culture
ACCOUNTANT II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2018
SDSU functions like other CA state government entities. All positions are open to the public so current employees have to apply and interview for any open jobs. Being an employee (or productive) does not guarantee you will be promoted or offered a higher paying job. The executive management and department managers will choose who they want and you will not know if you have an opportunity since no one will tell you about the hiring process in detail.

Pay and promoting opportunity depends on where you work and who you work with. Departments are not connected but they are very political in how they operate. Knowing the right people will make all the difference. Cash is limited so expect to be offered the lowest pay range despite your qualifications and experience.
Pros
CALPERS pension and vesting after 5 years
Cons
Non efficient, slow to change, government culture
Great Benefits
POWER PLANT OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 7, 2019
The most important thing is the job security and benefits received while working here. As a state employee, it was very secure. Management is what you would expect in a normal environment
Benefits
Cons
Low pay
Good for certain jobs
Instructional Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 27, 2018
If you're a student its a good place to gain experience. Management seemed to be a better option if someone is looking for a long term career. Overall it is a decent place to work.
Pros
Large campus with a lot of food options and many coffee spots.
Cons
Slow paced
A typical workplace with lots of meaningful interaction among peers and fellow students.
Teaching Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 9, 2018
Work in SDSU is meaningful as a Teacher's Assistant. My responsibilities for teaching 2 Biology labs for non-majors each week has provided me with ample experience in dealing with students and teaching skills. The weekly lectures that I provided for my students before their lab-work has helped me gain confidence in public speaking. This position also demanded adequate time management to balance with my time as a student, due to weekly grading duties. Fellow TAs are also sociable and help promote an lively work environment. The hardest part of the job usually boils down to two aspects: the grading of their experiment essay drafts and having to deal with problematic students on their demands/excuses. I do find the overall teaching of the labs and providing a fun learning experience for my students to be the most enjoyable part of the job.
productive
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Great place to work and great co-workers. Great benefits on top of everything else and a great place to start your career. Ample chances for outside training.
Fast paced environment working at a the University Level
Administrative Coordinator II- (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 25, 2018
If I did not need to relocate I would be employed with SDSU. I enjoyed my position very much, working with the students, staff and faculty, I was able to work with very little supervision in my duties and was able to learn quickly to new changes that were happening each semester. I don't think there was anything that I would consider hard, but a new challenge that I was always excited to tackle and gain valuable new knowledge. I enjoyed working with the staff in the office, as we were all in our positions held for over 10 years together,
Pros
Excellent benefits, time off, and working hours. Office environment was very comfortable and employees were a great team
Cons
No support or opportunity for growth in the position
Fun Workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 1, 2018
Great management and place to work at. The employees are nice and the company culture is awesome. Employees work events and are assigned different roles so there are opportunities for cross-training.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short hours
There is no equality at this organization - Academy for Professional Excellence
Information Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2018
Unfortunately, nepotism and friendships with leadership run this organization. They preach a great message about work-life balance and even use to follow it, however, that is no longer the case.
Pros
The goal of the organization and the vision.
Cons
Some of the staff
relax and supportive work environment
After School Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 4, 2018
worked part-time as an intern for after school tutoring program. flexible hours and supportive management. only worked there for a semester. graduated from college and relocated. good experience for college students and interns working with children and adolescents.
benefits are good
Senior System analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 20, 2018
University environment. Many opportunities to move about the organization. The benefits package and pension is very hard to beat anywhere. Raises are limited by union contract, skill level is not that important here, sadly.
Pros
University environment
Love sdsu
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 13, 2019
Go into the lab and handle the project you are working on.
Learned how to work autonomously.
Work Culture was amazing.
Hardest part was finding the time to finish work when projects went over time.
Ok
Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Work at SDSU depends on who your manager is and the way they run their employees. Other than that salary and time off is determined by California laws.
Great opportunity to supervise new teachers.
Student Teacher Supervising Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego City Schools, Lake Elsinore USD.May 7, 2018
Great opportunity to evaluate and improve student teachers as a Master Teacher. Constantly trying to praise and provide a means fro improvement that the student teacher will use over their long career.
Pros
Get to work with new fresh minds, new teachers.
Cons
Watching them make mistakes, and then correcting.
Amazing group of people in the athletic department but very competitive field and poor pay.
Student Athlete Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
I worked as an unpaid intern in the athletic department. Great group of people but in my experience it is a really competitive school to work at and the pay is very low, especially considering the cost of living.
All women team
Event Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2018
The main office is ran by all women. It has been wonderful having an all women team, minus the Chefs. Working with the college students have made a difference in my career path. They are our future! Through training and guidance, it made things easier running the different forms of events on and off campus.
Pros
$7.00/ work day meal, dental and medical insurance, tuition reimbursement
Cons
No flexibility regarding hours
State University
Administrative Support Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 9, 2018
Union, pay raises are difficult to obtain, there is no incentive to do a good job. People are nice. There have been a lot of recent changes, which always involve growing pains, but they have been numerous and often the training provided is confusing.
Easy to get the job difficult to stay on
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2018
It's easy enough to get a job on campus, but due to the hours available, the pay, and management it's hard to keep your desire for the job. Also, management is usually incompetent or understanding to emergency situations. Every manager will tell you to put school first, but will never allow you to actually prioritize school.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
sometimes incompetent management
enjoyable job with minimal stress
Parking Attendant & Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 12, 2018
learned how to manage money as a cashier, make sure people knew their way around the campus, and did my best to ensure the customer was happy. Management was good, and very willing to help schedule work around your busy school schedule