San Diego State University Employee Reviews

Job Security & Benefits
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 20, 2018
My truly and honest review, I have had multiple jobs working for the state of California. All of the previous state jobs have included great benefits and pay but sadly at SDSU the pay is terrible for the amount of work and quality of work the University expects.

Management can do a better job at helping the staff.

I have been working for 1 year and 9 months. We have been understaffed since i started my career there. We have 15 vacant positions that cannot be filled because management does not speed up the hiring process.

Nonetheless, my experience here has been good and bad. I do recommend working here but don't make it a place to stay for too long.It is a meritocracy. You wont get a raise for having more skills than required, people who have been working for longer have a priority in choosing their next career goals over the new employee.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management, bad HR, low pay, unrealistic expectations.
Not the most friendly place to work for.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 18, 2018
It seems to me that you need to know the Head TA to get the job. So if the student is lucky enough to know the head TA or a friend of friend of the Head TA, you are more likely to know the vacancy, and be able to secure the position
Amazing group of people in the athletic department but very competitive field and poor pay.
Student Athlete Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
I worked as an unpaid intern in the athletic department. Great group of people but in my experience it is a really competitive school to work at and the pay is very low, especially considering the cost of living.
My undergraduate research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2018
I graduated from San Diego State University with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry. I also have a lot of experience in lab, especially the chemistry lab. As a student at San Diego State University, I have maintained a 3.5 GPA and am always on good academic standing every semester. During semesters, beside major classes, I have done two research projects in Biochemistry. Through these projects, I learned how to work and solve the problems independently.
San Diego State Admissions
Graduate Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2018
Admissions Advisor position allowed for a flexible schedule with administrative tasks to help manage online graduate program. Communicating with prospective and current students to refer to program mission, procedures, and resources. Supportive work environment with responsive director and faculty members.
Pros
Generative learning of procedures and CSU systems
Cons
Healthcare, temporary employment
Dynamic campus
Visiting Professor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2018
i worked there a long time ago as visiting prof and graduate teaching assistant. This was a great experience, the campus is lively and it offers many interesting programs.
Pros
many cultural activities
Cons
very hard to get a full time job
Good opportunities for grad students
Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2018
There are many opportunities for grad students, positions such as Teaching Assistant or Graduate Student Reader.
Like many other academic institutions, pay isn't going to be spectacular, but will buy your groceries.
Fun Workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 1, 2018
Great management and place to work at. The employees are nice and the company culture is awesome. Employees work events and are assigned different roles so there are opportunities for cross-training.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short hours
SDSU student job approved
Grounds and Landscaping Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2018
I liked working the grounds department at SDSU during my college years. Hours are flexible and they will work around your colllege class schedule. Staff is great also.
All women team
Event Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2018
The main office is ran by all women. It has been wonderful having an all women team, minus the Chefs. Working with the college students have made a difference in my career path. They are our future! Through training and guidance, it made things easier running the different forms of events on and off campus.
Pros
$7.00/ work day meal, dental and medical insurance, tuition reimbursement
Cons
No flexibility regarding hours
A very friendly, competitive and supportive environment
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2018
I loved my experience as a graduate student at San Diego State. I enjoyed having intellectual discussions with colleagues and brainstorming on research topics.
San Diego State University
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2018
I loved attending this institution for school. It was a wonderful environment to work in and I enjoyed working and being involved in campus work. I really loved school.
Pros
Great environment
enjoyable job with minimal stress
Parking Attendant & Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 12, 2018
learned how to manage money as a cashier, make sure people knew their way around the campus, and did my best to ensure the customer was happy. Management was good, and very willing to help schedule work around your busy school schedule
Boring place but has easy work
Project Manager, Small Business Consulting (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2018
Everyone does there own job. It can be lonely at times and bored real fast. If you are an introvert then you will not mind it. People in office are kind
Pros
free time
Cons
boring
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2018
I learned a lot about the field i majored in. I learned more technical aspects of the job while working. It is a great place to work based on my experience.
Good work place for students
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2018
Great place to work for students, the pay is a bit low but they are flexible with the hours so that the work doesn't interfere with out school schedule
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay
benefits are good
Senior System analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 20, 2018
University environment. Many opportunities to move about the organization. The benefits package and pension is very hard to beat anywhere. Raises are limited by union contract, skill level is not that important here, sadly.
Pros
University environment
Excellent Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 12, 2018
This internship helped drive me towards my career goals and develop me professionally. I was afforded many great learning opportunities to grow my skills.
Great experience for grad students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CAJune 5, 2018
Working at SDSU as a teaching assistant was a positive experience because I was able to improve my public speaking skills whenever I helped students with the class material. Professors are helpful, thoughtful, and mostly provide enough guidelines for TA's to have meaningful section meetings, while also leaving enough room for TA's to adapt their own teaching style.
Easy to get the job difficult to stay on
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2018
It's easy enough to get a job on campus, but due to the hours available, the pay, and management it's hard to keep your desire for the job. Also, management is usually incompetent or understanding to emergency situations. Every manager will tell you to put school first, but will never allow you to actually prioritize school.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
sometimes incompetent management