San Diego State University Employee Reviews

This was ok
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 26, 2018
Unfortunately, graduate students are ignored here and paid a pittance for the work that is needed for them to do. Of course this has more to do with the admin than anything else.
There is no equality at this organization - Academy for Professional Excellence
Information Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2018
Unfortunately, nepotism and friendships with leadership run this organization. They preach a great message about work-life balance and even use to follow it, however, that is no longer the case.
Pros
The goal of the organization and the vision.
Cons
Some of the staff
Multi-layered university with standard government culture
ACCOUNTANT II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2018
SDSU functions like other CA state government entities. All positions are open to the public so current employees have to apply and interview for any open jobs. Being an employee (or productive) does not guarantee you will be promoted or offered a higher paying job. The executive management and department managers will choose who they want and you will not know if you have an opportunity since no one will tell you about the hiring process in detail.

Pay and promoting opportunity depends on where you work and who you work with. Departments are not connected but they are very political in how they operate. Knowing the right people will make all the difference. Cash is limited so expect to be offered the lowest pay range despite your qualifications and experience.
Pros
CALPERS pension and vesting after 5 years
Cons
Non efficient, slow to change, government culture
It was alright.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 3, 2018
It payed okay, but there were very few hours for my position. I had a student job so I don't really think that my review of the institution can be widely applied to the entire campus.
Good working environment with flexible hours
Student Assistant and Front Desk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 3, 2018
I was only a student assistant during my time as a student at San Diego State but the hours were flexible and I was able to take time off if I needed. The management and staff were super friendly and I had good relationships with everyone in the office. Obviously I didn't get any benefits or compensation nor was there much advancement as a student assistant but I did enjoy my time there.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Small pay raise
Fast paced environment working at a the University Level
Administrative Coordinator II- (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 25, 2018
If I did not need to relocate I would be employed with SDSU. I enjoyed my position very much, working with the students, staff and faculty, I was able to work with very little supervision in my duties and was able to learn quickly to new changes that were happening each semester. I don't think there was anything that I would consider hard, but a new challenge that I was always excited to tackle and gain valuable new knowledge. I enjoyed working with the staff in the office, as we were all in our positions held for over 10 years together,
Pros
Excellent benefits, time off, and working hours. Office environment was very comfortable and employees were a great team
Cons
No support or opportunity for growth in the position
Productive and easy going environment
Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2018
I love working at SDSU DUI program it gives me the flexibility of work hours and allows me to be a counselor with minimal supervision. I love working with everyone at SDSU DUI program and gives me extra income and experiences.
Job Security & Benefits
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 20, 2018
My truly and honest review, I have had multiple jobs working for the state of California. All of the previous state jobs have included great benefits and pay but sadly at SDSU the pay is terrible for the amount of work and quality of work the University expects.

Management can do a better job at helping the staff.

I have been working for 1 year and 9 months. We have been understaffed since i started my career there. We have 15 vacant positions that cannot be filled because management does not speed up the hiring process.

Nonetheless, my experience here has been good and bad. I do recommend working here but don't make it a place to stay for too long.It is a meritocracy. You wont get a raise for having more skills than required, people who have been working for longer have a priority in choosing their next career goals over the new employee.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management, bad HR, low pay, unrealistic expectations.
Not the most friendly place to work for.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 18, 2018
It seems to me that you need to know the Head TA to get the job. So if the student is lucky enough to know the head TA or a friend of friend of the Head TA, you are more likely to know the vacancy, and be able to secure the position
Amazing group of people in the athletic department but very competitive field and poor pay.
Student Athlete Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
I worked as an unpaid intern in the athletic department. Great group of people but in my experience it is a really competitive school to work at and the pay is very low, especially considering the cost of living.
My undergraduate research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2018
I graduated from San Diego State University with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry. I also have a lot of experience in lab, especially the chemistry lab. As a student at San Diego State University, I have maintained a 3.5 GPA and am always on good academic standing every semester. During semesters, beside major classes, I have done two research projects in Biochemistry. Through these projects, I learned how to work and solve the problems independently.
San Diego State Admissions
Graduate Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2018
Admissions Advisor position allowed for a flexible schedule with administrative tasks to help manage online graduate program. Communicating with prospective and current students to refer to program mission, procedures, and resources. Supportive work environment with responsive director and faculty members.
Pros
Generative learning of procedures and CSU systems
Cons
Healthcare, temporary employment
Dynamic campus
Visiting Professor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2018
i worked there a long time ago as visiting prof and graduate teaching assistant. This was a great experience, the campus is lively and it offers many interesting programs.
Pros
many cultural activities
Cons
very hard to get a full time job
Good opportunities for grad students
Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2018
There are many opportunities for grad students, positions such as Teaching Assistant or Graduate Student Reader.
Like many other academic institutions, pay isn't going to be spectacular, but will buy your groceries.
Fun Workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 1, 2018
Great management and place to work at. The employees are nice and the company culture is awesome. Employees work events and are assigned different roles so there are opportunities for cross-training.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short hours
SDSU student job approved
Grounds and Landscaping Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2018
I liked working the grounds department at SDSU during my college years. Hours are flexible and they will work around your colllege class schedule. Staff is great also.
All women team
Event Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2018
The main office is ran by all women. It has been wonderful having an all women team, minus the Chefs. Working with the college students have made a difference in my career path. They are our future! Through training and guidance, it made things easier running the different forms of events on and off campus.
Pros
$7.00/ work day meal, dental and medical insurance, tuition reimbursement
Cons
No flexibility regarding hours
A very friendly, competitive and supportive environment
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2018
I loved my experience as a graduate student at San Diego State. I enjoyed having intellectual discussions with colleagues and brainstorming on research topics.
San Diego State University
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2018
I loved attending this institution for school. It was a wonderful environment to work in and I enjoyed working and being involved in campus work. I really loved school.
Pros
Great environment
enjoyable job with minimal stress
Parking Attendant & Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 12, 2018
learned how to manage money as a cashier, make sure people knew their way around the campus, and did my best to ensure the customer was happy. Management was good, and very willing to help schedule work around your busy school schedule