San Diego State University Employee Reviews

enjoyable job with minimal stress
Parking Attendant & Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 12, 2018
learned how to manage money as a cashier, make sure people knew their way around the campus, and did my best to ensure the customer was happy. Management was good, and very willing to help schedule work around your busy school schedule
Boring place but has easy work
Project Manager, Small Business Consulting (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2018
Everyone does there own job. It can be lonely at times and bored real fast. If you are an introvert then you will not mind it. People in office are kind
Pros
free time
Cons
boring
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2018
I learned a lot about the field i majored in. I learned more technical aspects of the job while working. It is a great place to work based on my experience.
Good work place for students
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2018
Great place to work for students, the pay is a bit low but they are flexible with the hours so that the work doesn't interfere with out school schedule
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay
benefits are good
Senior System analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 20, 2018
University environment. Many opportunities to move about the organization. The benefits package and pension is very hard to beat anywhere. Raises are limited by union contract, skill level is not that important here, sadly.
Pros
University environment
Excellent Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 12, 2018
This internship helped drive me towards my career goals and develop me professionally. I was afforded many great learning opportunities to grow my skills.
Great experience for grad students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CAJune 5, 2018
Working at SDSU as a teaching assistant was a positive experience because I was able to improve my public speaking skills whenever I helped students with the class material. Professors are helpful, thoughtful, and mostly provide enough guidelines for TA's to have meaningful section meetings, while also leaving enough room for TA's to adapt their own teaching style.
Easy to get the job difficult to stay on
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2018
It's easy enough to get a job on campus, but due to the hours available, the pay, and management it's hard to keep your desire for the job. Also, management is usually incompetent or understanding to emergency situations. Every manager will tell you to put school first, but will never allow you to actually prioritize school.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
sometimes incompetent management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2018
Try not to treat employees like they are disposable and replaceable. It would help save money on training if they actually treated their employees right and the employees wanted to stay there. Most of the time the employees don't seem to care much about the job at hand because they don't feel appreciated.
Productive and fun work place.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San DiegoMay 30, 2018
Provided great learning experience within the classroom as well as in the laboratory. All of the research departments were extremely helpful and enjoyable.
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San DiegoMay 30, 2018
Working at San Diego State University was a great experience. I was provided with a lot of resources, and I felt that although I was just a research assistant I had a lot of freedom in the lab.
pretty laid back place to work
SDSU Residence Hall Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 22, 2018
My job was pretty laid back except for the the busy times of the day. Had to deal with a bunch of drunk college students because I had the night shifts during the weekend.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Support Assistant I/II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 18, 2018
The SDSU was a good employment opportunity. I had just moved back to San Diego and didn't really know what I was going to do. A friend recommended applying to the positions and fro here, things started to brighten up for me.
Great place to work as a student
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 17, 2018
Great place to work as a student. Flexible hours and an understanding manager made it easy to balance working, interning, and going to school full time.
Pros
Flexible hours
Part time - Productive
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service/Stock (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 15, 2018
Relaxed job environment, unless it is the start or end of the semester. Get to work with multiple people in your own department and interact with other people in other departments. Good sales associate work experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, discounts on books and merchandise
Cons
No benefits
Did not work for the university
Athletes in Action Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 15, 2018
I worked for a separate organization that operated on San Diego State's campus. It was a gorgeous university with plenty of diversity and innovation. Fun place to be.
Used to be a fun environment
Prep/Cook (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 15, 2018
Not all manager can manage, and not all leaders can lead. You have to prepare the ingredients, clean cookware, and deal with a lot of freshman. At the same time dealing with an unappreciated boss.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
management
A great way to put educational skills into practice
Tutor/After-School Program Leader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 15, 2018
This was an excellent place to work for those interested in education. Working with non-native English speakers is extremely rewarding, and much of what you do here is geared towards that.
Productive and balanced work
Research Methods Teaching Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2018
Psychology Master's at SDSU is a great program, they have much more financial support than other Master's program. Professors and Supervisors are super nice and provide tons of support.
Pros
Professors
Cons
You have to leave eventually
State University
Administrative Support Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 9, 2018
Union, pay raises are difficult to obtain, there is no incentive to do a good job. People are nice. There have been a lot of recent changes, which always involve growing pains, but they have been numerous and often the training provided is confusing.