San Diego Unified School District Employee Reviews

Great opportunity to make positive impact on health and wellbeing of future generations
REGISTERED CREDENTIALED SCHOOL NURSE (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2019
District is operated at the pleasure of the board. This makes for much transition and minimal sense of job security. For my first year in the district I was paid at the rate of a nurse with no experience and limited education. All because the HR person repeatedly requested my former employer provide verification of my experience as a TEACHER-and I am a NURSE.
Endless hours, but fair pay...
Confidential Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 23, 2019
This is not a 9-5 by any means, but the healthcare is 100% paid by the District for you and your family - very rare and generous. Pay is quite fair as well...just a lot of hours.
Cohesive family environment
Special Education Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 15, 2019
A typical day as an SEA in the district is always changing. New challenges every day while instructing and assisting children with disabilities. I have always found it rewarding and my job as a para-educator prompted me to return to school to become an Occupational Therapy.
It was a fun job
General Staff/Administrative (Former Employee) –  San DiegoApril 15, 2019
This was a great job for me at the time because my son went to this school. I enjoyed working with the teachers and the students. The staff was amazing to work with
professional place to work
Front Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 8, 2019
i really enjoyed working at SDUSD. I enyoyed my job title as clerk, the problem are the work hours. Sometimes I would work 8hrs in one school, then after a few months I would get transfer and only work 4 hours.
Pros
I liked all of my supervisors very helpful
Cons
hours varied too much
Fun place
Special Ed Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 5, 2019
Super fun place to work if you truly enjoy working and helping children from all sorts of different backgrounds! Most of the teachers are very happy that you are assisting them and it is a job that is more rewarding internally than financially.
PE teacher
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 5, 2019
I enjoyed teaching PE to students in a low socioeconomic neighborhood.

The hardest part of my job was classroom management

I enjoyed coaching after school sports

I enjoyed starting up a Hip Hop dance club
Pros
Was able to coach basketball and flag football
Too big to manage effectively
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2019
This district is too big to effectively manage its schools. Teachers are bound to continue teaching by tenure and principals fight to keep long term control of their jobs at the same sites which doesn't benefit anyone. Principals should have a maximum tenure of 4 years at any particular school and not be under so much pressure for performance that drains teachers of motivation. This can currently seen at La Jolla High and Mann Middle or Crawford, both ends of the demographic spectrums, lots of teacher frustration with administration and district policies.
Pros
steady paycheck for 10 months
Cons
same archaic way of running schools since school was invented
San Diego Unified School district was a great learning environment and creative.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2019
I enjoyed working with San Diego Unified School District. While I was working with the students, I was able to see them learn and use the skills I taught them. For me it was extremely rewarding when the students become independent through out the year. Working with children with Autism was an honor for me. Each student was different and everyday was full of adventure. I feel that not only was I able to teach the students, but they taught me as well.
Pros
Benefits and the joy children bring to you everyday.
Cons
Short breaks and short staffed
Easy job
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 2, 2019
This was a fairly easy job with great benefits and great time off. Unfortunately furlough days are included which brings your salary down. It is time for the district to invest in a new building (Ed Center) as it is very outdated.
As is schools
Classified Substitute (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2019
As many know the school culture is having its time of distress, as an students aid I am there for the students not the teachers. I volunteer after school to help.
Pros
Felxible work hours
Cons
influenced by teachers
Substitute teaching was different every time I did it.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2019
The School district would call me the day before I was to substitute. Often, it was different school every time.
If the teacher was organized it made it a better experience for the students and myself to understand what the teacher expected.
Pros
Following the teachers instruction as to what they wanted their students to learn.
Cons
Different day different students, getting to know them was hard.
Commissioning Agent (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2019
Wonderful culture, lots of great people. Huge opportunity to gain knowledge and contacts. friendly staff and great place to share engineering knowledge and trouble shooting skills
Pros
great people
Cons
lots of free donuts
Productive work place
Noon Duty Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 6, 2019
The most enjoyable part that I have enjoyed working with SDUSD is see the students engage and seeing how they have grew and learned from the first day of school to the last day of the school year.
Pros
The smiles of the students. Healthy lunch
Cons
Bathroom for students are dirty
Instructional Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 30, 2018
Good place to work. Good company culture. Limited advancement, but good job security. Management is good depending what department and/or who is manager.
Porudctive and fun work place
Substitute teacher for k-12 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 26, 2018
Great kids and great school district. Would definitely recommend any aspiring teacher to sub there. Fortunately there are many schools to choose from so you're never out of work.
Great
School Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 26, 2018
The school district is the best. Employees are very dedicated. i would definitely recommend them. Great employer. Consider them in your job search today.
Each school has different student cultures
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 23, 2018
I work with a lot of special needs classes in San Diego. Mild to moderate. Sometimes moderate to severe. The hardest part of the job is trying to instill enthusiasm in the general education classes. Many of the students are ESL and have a hard time keeping up with the day to day curriculum.
Pros
Office staff are generally pleasant and helpful
Cons
Some schools have early check in times 7am
A fun working environment
Second Language Assessor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 23, 2018
Job had lots of ups and downs, Met a lot of people helped many students with their development, enjoyed meeting parents. Learned many things and no stress involved with job.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Traffic to get to job.
Horrible District
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 18, 2018
This is the worst district I have ever worked for! The are unprofessional and can't manage their money as a district. What ever you do don't go work at Lincoln High School.