San Diego Youth Services Employee Reviews

Great Non-profit to work for
Juvenile Recovery Specialist Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2018
Trauma informed culture that works on improving the lives of at-risk teens . The people who work there are incredibly passionate about their jobs. The company is managed by a great CEO who has developed a culture that makes employees proud to work there.
Productive and fun woirkplace, great atmosphere
Case Manager - SVECC Spring Valley (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 1, 2018
Great environment, and very resourceful. Had the chance to meet most of the superior staff, and CEO listens to employees' needs and wants throughout each quarter. Great staff appreciation and helpful.
Best place to Work
Juvenile Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kearny Mesa, CAMay 29, 2018
Love it here! The program managers are amazingly supportive. There are so many benefits and resources all employees can access regularly! They are the highest paying non-profit in San Deigo County!
Worth while
family support counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2018
This is a great place to work if you desire to experience working with clients that have trauma in their background. You will learn skills and develop in such a way that will prepare you to deal with other clients in a treatment setting. If you want a perspective on how to handle a fairly normal family dynamic as a therapist, start with these children who are dealing with the extremes of trauma.
Pros
Great team, worth while work
Cons
High Stress due to client trauma
San Diego Youth Services
Family Support Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 10, 2018
Great company to start off in the mental health field with many different programs available. Good work culture, very collaborative, but still difficult to move up if you aren't an MFT or SW.
Pros
Collaborative, Networking, flexible
Cons
Hard to move up
Great opportunity for learning
Program Manager Storefront Teen Emergency Shelter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 25, 2018
Great work done on behalf on high risk youth and their families, room for advancement, team work is a specialty. Flexible work hours and nice benefit packages.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
management hours can be long
Great agency to build network and learn skills
Youth Support Partner, Urban Beats (Current Employee) –  Golden Hill, San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2018
SDYS really takes trauma informed care to heart as an agency-wide philosophy.

Sometimes management is disconnected or not super present in daily activities of programs.

There are plenty of opportunities to grow and advance, but flexibility does vary greatly depending on the program.
Pros
amazing coworkers and teams, fair compensation, great range of benefits
Cons
sometimes poor/frustrating management
Great place to intern
Intake Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2018
Internship was great. I loved being in the atmosphere helping at risk youth. The staff was great and were excellent in helping this population of kids.
Positive Growth place
BILINGUAL FAMILY SUPPORT PARTNER/CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Spring Valley, CAOctober 9, 2017
The atmosphere is very positive and warm and there are many different departments in which you can be trained, work/grow and move on with wonderful experience.
very productive
Case Manger/ Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, CAOctober 3, 2017
If I wasn't answering phone calls creating appointments, I was facilitating school groups, managing personal families, creating new curriculum, assisting supervisor with administrative work.
Pros
flexibility, family work envirnment
Cons
no way to mve up
Great first/temporary job
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2017
This is a fun and educational position for a recent college graduate or intern but there is not room to move up and the day to day stays relatively the same over time so it is difficult to commit to the organization if looking to constantly learn and grow.
Best place I have ever worked at!
Family Advocate Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2017
Loved to work here! Great coworkers and supervisors. Only left because husband got transfer but when we go back to San Diego I will definitely apply at this company again.
Helping children for a better tomorrow
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2015
I attend three different locations; Metro, East County and South County. I am usually placed with the younger crowd (ages 2-8). We begin by giving them pizza and juice. Afterwards we have play time in the playground. We also do a craft with the children. At the end, a movie is played and snacks are given so they can enjoy the rest of the night. Throughout the time there is a lot of interaction with these children. Some have disabilities and are placed with more one-on-one time than others. The staff and other volunteer people are amazing. I enjoy every minute I spend with these kids because of the bond I built with them. The hardest part would be the day I stop volunteering because of schedule reasons, because I have enjoyed getting to each of them.
Pros
Ability to gain experience and knowledge, working with children, free pizza, fun extra circular activity
Fun, professional and caring environment.
Resident Counselor in Youth Emergency Shelter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 14, 2014
Comassionate and professional environment with people who really care for homeless children.
Pros
People who really care for homeless children.
Cons
low wages
Amazing place to work. Surrounded with co- workers who are truly dedicated to helping at- risk youth within the community.
Youth Support Partner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 3, 2014
Internship
Family Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2013
I did my practicum for my masters with SDYS. During this time there was a huge management transition and we were without a Site Supervisor for 4 months. I am unable to speak on the overall quality of the work place now that it has a new supervisor. However, it was unorganized, I wasn’t given the training I was mandated to have, and they had me working with the foster children before I had clearance from my background check.
Very rewarding work
Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2013
As a volunteer I do a lot of different things. Group facilitation is my favorite. I get to work with kids and do fun activities. I've also learned how to enter client data into the system. The case managers and program managers that I work with are very interesting and fun.
Committed to providing the best services!!!
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 14, 2013
Everyone works really hard to get the job done. Hard work, but at the end of the day, very rewarding to be making an impact in the lives of youth in the community.