San Diego Zoo Employee Reviews

basic job
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Spring Valley, CAJanuary 14, 2019
a typical day at work, usually the same thing everyday. at least in the gift shops it is. you come in, ring on the registers and stock the shelves..typical retail just in a fun environment
learning and fast paced environment
Food Service and Merchandise Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 13, 2019
The job was good overall, on a typical day you go in and go to your expected workstation. You either work inside the restaurant or outside at one of the stands. When you know where, you go there and start helping out your co-workers. Unless you open then you prepare the restaurant/stand for the day. Management was great, leads were nice and well instructed. Asking for help wasn't a problem because everyone inside was helpful.
Pros
discounts, flexible schedule especially for those in school
Cons
favoritism within leads and other employees, working holidays, only 6 or 8 hour shifts
Boring during afternoons
Food and Merchandise Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego Zoo, CADecember 6, 2018
The zoo was a great place to work. Make sure you have comfortable shoes because you don't sit for 8 hours. Mostly cleaning is what you'll be doing. Nice
Experiences.
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2018
There are multiple opportunities to create great working experiences. Is a perfect job to create customer service skills. It is a fun place to work, as you walk to your work area you can appreciate multiple animals.
Not the best place to work at
Full Time Jobs (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92101November 23, 2018
When school started in September, they cut my hours down to zero. They can't give me any hours since. They had to save up on labor as summer was over. It is not cheap living in San Diego. I wouldn't recommend working at San Diego Zoo as they are just going to lay you off.
The funnest job ever
Culinary Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 1, 2018
First of all, I got to walk into work everyday and see giraffes and rhinos! What more can you ask for. I really enjoyed being able to work alot of hours and save money.
Fun people to work with and guests are nice
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  San diego, CaOctober 30, 2018
My experience for working at the zoo was 50/50. One thing I did not enjoy working at the zoo, is what I felt was what it was like being back in high school.. Most employees that worked there always had secrets and gossip way too much. The good thing about working for the zoo was of course the discounts on food. I highly recommend not to apply for this job.
Pros
%50 discounts on food when working %20 off merchandise
Cons
Low pay, not many hours given
Zoo
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2018
Good Place to work for students part time employment, close to bus lines very upbeat positive environment. Opportunity to advance within the organization.
Summer
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 28, 2018
This company is a good company of you are looking for a summer job. The zoo is somewhere that is only busy during the summer other then that it is very slow and only people whom have seniority are guaranteed hours
Saving Extinction
Photographer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 26, 2018
They care about saving animals. They are an equal opportunity employer. They have a lot of charitable parties. They care about how the world views them. They believe in making a difference.
Working in San Diego Zoo is
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2018
I like this place, especially the manager. People are really friendly and nice
The most enjoyable part of the job is: you can see a lot of children who coming to the zoo
Pros
Flexibale hour
Very fast pace work environment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2018
The work environment was very efficient with many dishwashers in one shift making it easier during busy time. Breaks were 15 minutes long with a 30 min lunch break. Typically works weekends fri sat sun 8 hours a day. Had to work holidays which were very stressful.
Pros
free lunch and walking out of the zoo at night was the best part of the day
Cons
my back and feet were always sore afterward for a couple hours and got back home late
Best place in San diego to work
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2018
The most enjoyable aspect of is working with the applicants and clients and servicing their needs. This position teaches humility, hard work and patience.
Wouldn't Reccomend
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2018
When I was hired to work at the zoo, throughout the hiring process I felt very uncomfortable. I have tattoos (that are coverable) and was asked to show my tattoos. One of the three women told me that they weren't supposed to hire anyone with tattoos, one of the other women flat out said that wasnt true. During this time, I had another job which I made them aware of. They told me that working at the zoo requires me to be fully dedicated to them instead of my other job, which I was willing to do. I was hired to work in one of the food areas around the zoo. During the short time I worked there, my schedule was changed three times within two days. My manager then texted me and harassed me (the woman who made me show her my tattoos). The job itself wasnt bad, but my coworkers would talk in Spanish 80% of the time, leaving me out of the loop. Also, you're given a time you're supposed to be there, but not a time that you're supposed to leave at, as well as having on call days. When I did leave the zoo (due to inconsistent scheduling) I was sent an exit interview where I voiced all my concerns. I never heard from them again, leading me to believe they don't care about employee input.
Pros
Working at the zoo, employee parking, discounts at local attractions as well as in the zoo
Cons
Don't know how long you're working, cant speak for managment as its different in different areas of the park
I was a vendor, I did not work for the zoo
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2018
I did not work for the Zoo. Everyone I met there was very kind, and it is a pretty amazing place to get to spend your days. I cannot speak to the zoo management.
Temp Job
Photographer/Greeter/Sales (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2018
Temp job for the summer. I wish it was permanent and full time. The place was great to work. Free admission to the zoo. Only for the employee, not any guest
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, temp job
Productive and fun environment
Food service associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 17, 2018
There was always a rush hour, which meant working fast-paced and team work. I learned to cashier, work efficiently and interact with guests. Management was okay for the most part. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with friendly guests and being able to see the animals every day, while the worst part was the uniform and occasional rude coworker or customer.
Pros
discounted food and merchandise, free entrance to the zoo
Cons
No dyed hair, visible piercings or tattoos
Great place to be!
San Diego Zoo (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 28, 2018
People are friendly, lots of great discounts, and you are able to work in a fun, and safe environment . It was a great experience to be able to work with great and friendly people.
Pros
Free Admission to Zoo
Excellent Experience
Behavior Ecology Fellow (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 22, 2018
Overall great opportunity to learn how to work in a real lab setting regarding endocrinology. Staff was very helpful and I gained so much practical knowledge while there.
fast pace and fun
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 14, 2018
The zoo was a great place to work at. Some days were extremely busy and overwhelming, but the staff made work enjoyable and worthwhile. I love what the San Diego Zoo stands for, and the employees carry out the mission and values with a smile on their face.
Pros
free zoo visits
Cons
strict personal appearance rules

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.

San Diego Zoo Reviews by Location