San Diego Zoo

San Diego Zoo Employee Reviews

United States201 reviews
I liked how the management would actually take the time to listen to you and they would also make sure you were doing fine at work, they wouldn’t mind helping if you needed the help
The retail department of the zoo is severely lacking in professionalism. The entire management team is lack luster and has no problems negating any needs or concerns of the actually workers. Problems are over looked completely based on friendship to the employee and policys are constantly bypassed to allow friendships to continue. If your looking at working anywhere at the zoo, reframe from the retail department at all costs.
Pros
Some friendly people outside of management
Cons
Every part of the retail department
Every day is different. It was not just another job to have,
This is a great place to work. It is a very friendly, upbeat environment. The fellow employees are very kind and welcoming. It is a nonprofit so the compensation is rather low. It is difficult to get a full time position if your not specialized in zoology or other animal/horticultural major. I highly recommend this job for those who want to help end extinction and have the proper, higher level education.
Very cliquey environment, if you dont fit int with "the group" you'll be ignored or made fun of by peers, but if you make it into the "in" group you can advance quickly
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
I wish y’all the best of luck if you join. I had a fun time with all of my coworkers and they treated me like family. I feel sad that I left them but life moved on for me. I suggest whoever decides to work here to enjoy yourselves and gain whatever you can here because this will be a great step for you in becoming high tier workers seeking future employment.
great place to volunteer, everybody is friendly and the job is fun.
You have a chance to know a lot of people from different countries, and a chance to get to know a lot about all the animals they save from extintion.
Pros
Fun and relaxing
Cons
i dont know any
I liked that I didn’t have to work in one single place everyday , sometimes it’s be outside or at a different location in the zoo. It has a lot of benefits as well, you can go to the zoo whenever and you get free and discounted tickets.
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
Dress code
I had an incredible experience while volunteering at the safari park been able to work with guest relations and learn and work with animals and behavior.
Always welcoming and friendly surroundings. Nice area of work and positive attitude from coworkers and managers. Also very caring for their employees.
Company is very diverse and has a lot of different employees for various jobs. They take animals and their staffs well being very seriously. Seasonal staffing is treated as such.
I love working at the zoo. everyone is friendly everybody fits in and it's just an amazing experience to be able to work at the zoo. I honestly wish this was my first job.
Management is unwilling to listen to employees and sub management is unwilling to work most of the time I would have my lead go on smoke breaks every 15 minutes and expect me to run the restaurant in perfect condition in those 15 to 20 minutes while they were gone during rush hour and it put a lot of stress on me.
The only good thing about working at the SDZ Safari Park were the animals & like minded coworkers.
Forget about moving up, they only hire keepers with 20+ years of experience that are willing to jump through hoops & then they give them minimal hours.

Great place to work if you're retired.

Not a great place to work if you want to make it your career!

They don't care about their employees well being.

Good luck getting time off.

You'll work 6-7 days a week with 4-6 hour shifts.

Just enough hours to keep you living paycheck to paycheck, not enough to ever qualify for benefits.

Would not recommend.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else
I worked at the Safari Park. It is a competitive field and you'll definitely have to work weekends and holidays. The jobs though are fun, and the atmosphere and the care of the animals is phenomenal. It definitely is one of the best zoos to work for, just don't expect a full-time job. I was there for over 3 years and worked into different positions but never made it to full-time before I left.

Getting time off is competitive, too. If you're at the bottom of the chain, you have to wait until everyone else fills out the leave calendar, and you most likely will not get all the days you want... and you'll have to know in advance when you want off. It is difficult to get weekends and holidays off.

The hourly pay is actually great for tour guides, keepers, handlers, exhibit attendants and trainers, but again, not full-time for most, so it breaks even.

You do get discounts and free tickets to the Zoo and Safari Park, and they used to do SeaWorld too, not sure if they still do.

The animals are definitely the best part of your day. You are there to make a difference, so it is rewarding. Just not financially.
I Loved being at the zoo. Great location and friendly staff to work with. I don;t think i work there long enough to fully grasp all that it had to offer.
All San Diego Zoo Global cares about is the bottom line. They will strip you of your very personality to turn you into a corporate robot and then make you think you like it there.
Work was generally self directed, but when needed, supervisors provided adequate and accurate information to complete tasks. Hardest part of the job was ensuring that reports were kept to a specific format using software that was somewhat difficult to use.
They had favorites and weren't afried to show it. And management was lazy! And never helped. People would be high or drunk on the job and no one cared!
Pros
Paid time off, and free entry to zoo and Balboa part museums
Cons
Favoritism, rude managers, lazy bosses, stressfull.
Working here can be physically challenging due to lots of walking and physical labor, as well as intense heat. Overall it is enjoyable because you can meet a lot of people and learn a lot about conservation and animals. Overall I feel like you have quite a bit of freedom to work the way that is most efficient for you personally, and as long as you work hard, you can earn a lot of trust from management.
Pros
You get to see animals!
Cons
Intense heat
My boss was racist and definitely showed favoritism, I was scared to even talk to her about a situation without thinking I was going to get fired. I would be stressed out when I would leave work with what was going on at the job.