San Francisco Chronicle Employee Reviews

It was a diverse group of individuals, which was great
Resident Controller (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 19, 2018
It was such a diverse group and most of us got along very well. There were a few individuals who thought the world revolved around them but they were mainly in the sales department (which I thought was cutthroat). The job actually became easier and easier as the years went by. I made a total of 11 1/2 years.
fine for a freelancer
Contributing Writer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 6, 2018
I was a contributor and not full time staff, cannot comment on perks or benefits. Managing editor was an efficient and swift communicator and I enjoyed working with her.
my summary
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 8, 2018
the type of job it was very great the only thing i did not like about the job was it was temp an so you never know when the assignment is going to end so when you have bills to pay that's not a good type of job to be having because i have seven kids and dealing with temps that's not making a honest living.
I wish I can still work for San Francisco Chronicle but they laid off 70% of the drivers since everything went online
Circulation warehouseman (Former Employee) –  California san franciscoSeptember 28, 2017
I worked as a driver delivering papers to all the BART stations in San Francisco Unfortunately they laid us off due to newspaper going online so they laid many of us off.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Night shift
Enjoyable place to work with good people and a excellent delivery area
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 30, 2017
We picked our papers at warehouse. Then we went and delivered the papers. Our management was excellent. Most enjoyable part was working at night where is was peaceful and tranquil.
Pros
work in peaceful environment
Cons
working everyday unless you had a substitue.
Interesting, talented and intelligent coworkers.
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2017
A lively and challenging place to work. Some of the hardest working people I've ever had the privilege to learn from. Dealing with deadline pressures helped me to prioritize and triage breaking stories.
Pros
An incredible resource and the best education one could have.
Cons
People began to use digital news sources and left print media to die.
fun
Door - to - Door Saleswoman (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 2, 2017
It was fun working here when you get many sales. The days that I didn't meet sales were sad days because you spend all your day working and don't get paid.
Pros
good commisson
Cons
work all day
SF Chronicle
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 1, 2016
Not a very up to date office. Uses very old systems, there is no workflow, very manual processes which makes way for errors.
Site to start and good skills
Newspaper Delivery (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAMay 22, 2016
You get skill to deliver and to learn address.

The company is interesting but demand to work all night and all days.

You can get skills to customer service.
Pros
Tips
Cons
All days
A decent place to work
Online Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 21, 2016
A nice working environment. People are nice to work with. Competitive benefits. The hardest part of the job is to report on something that the system is not able to provide. The deadlines given are reasonable making my worklife less stressful.
Pros
Free newspaper
Cons
no partitions between desks

Want to know more about San Francisco Chronicle?

Ask a question
Excellent company to work for
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 25, 2016
This is an excellent company to work for, management and employees are easy to interact with and the work is very interesting. Collaboration is highly encouraged, and communication is frequent.
I enjoyed my time with this company
PAPER DELIVERY (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAApril 23, 2015
They did disappoint me.
This was good job.
Always paid on time
They always deliverd
My co-workers were all nice
The hardest part of the job was delivering in the rain.
Productive great leadership
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 23, 2015
The most enjoyable was working for a company that allowed you to manage yourself. They had no problem in teaching you there in house data systems.
The SF Chronicle is a trailblazer for othet newspapers in the Bay Area.
Retail Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 4, 2015
The largest & #1 Newspaper & media Company in the Bay area.

The SF Chronicle is a trailblazer for other local newspapers & mediums in the Bay Area.

A Fun place to work, never a boring day. On going training & opportunities.

There are a lot of advantages for working for this newspaper.

Just the name along, carries credibility & a lot of weight.

The newspaper has been around over 100 years, the Hearst Family owns just about every entity you can think of from Television/radio stations, magazines, newspapers, search engines....you name it they probably own it or are partners with other companies.

They have deep pockets & love to stay abreast of the latest technologies, creative advertising programs, and ideas to market their products.
Pros
From time to time employees would get FREE lunches, tickets to the Baseball, Basketball games with & without our clientsl! Bonuses and Perks - gas cards, cash money or checks, trips to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Reno, Tahoe, dinner cards, Napa Wine Train events.
Cons
Healthcare, Life Insurance, 401K, Expense reimbursement, Pension Plans etc.
Circulation department in downtown San Francisco
Temporary Assignment (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2014
A regular day at the San Francisco Chronicle consists of many different tasks and performances every day. I start my day by checking the Circulation messages, documenting each customer and complaint and then capture that information in a shared Google drive. I then proceed to call back each customer. Once these callbacks are completed, I also call any escalated complaints from one of several newspaper companies that we deliver papers for.

When all of the callbacks are done, I input various customer requests, such as placement requests and vacation holds. As well as documenting complaints such as missed deliveries and misplaced deliveries. I also start accounts that have come in through promotional mail services. In between all of this, I answer the live customer phone lines and resolve any issues they might be having.

All of the management and co-workers are very intelligent and nice people to work with. Everyone knows what they need to be doing, and works together as a team to help each other out if needed. Questions and meetings to discuss ways to improve are highly encouraged.

The hardest part of my job is handling aggravated customers that have outstanding delivery issues. This is caused by our services being overwhelmed with more deliveries than certain carriers can handle and there is not a set plan in place to have it resolved in a timely manor. This means I have to find new ways of compensating customers, without a direct solution, which can be very difficult at times.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the people around me. Everyone
  more... is professional and respectful towards one another. This makes the work environment calming and encouraging even at stressful moments.  less
Pros
Make your own hours as long as you work a full day
Cons
Stressful at times
Friendly Management
Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 6, 2014
Daily responsibility is deliver newspaper, ranging anywhere from 10 to a few hundred. It's a 7 days per week job that started around 3 to 4 in the morning. I learned to follow and remember direction well just based off paper navigation. The hardest part of the job was to look for house addresses that are faded because it is very dark during early morning. What i enjoy is the freedom to work without being supervise and being on the road listening to my favorite songs while making people' morning a bit brighter.
A Sinking Ship
Advertising Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 27, 2014
Management has a "plan". They don't.

This place is stuck in the 1980's. Everyone builds a walled garden and sticks to it. People are not eager to learn new ways of doing things. Poor Performers are not held accountable for their performance. Sales Management is willing to look everywhere but at themselves.
Pros
...
Cons
Where do I begin?
Provides a challenging professional experience while navigated the evolving media landscape
Operations & Production Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 9, 2013
Working at The Chronicle has proven to be an invaluable experience that requires its employees to adapt and grow as the media industry evolves to meet the needs of it customers and advertisers.
Mailer Insert Operator
Mailer Insert Operator (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAOctober 4, 2013
Following directions and instructions provided by the production supervisor on all production releases. Pulled pallets of insert materials from receiving using various Big Joe manual and motorized pallet trucks. Checked for proper guide set-ups and proper alignment of insert materials. Removed paper jams and notified production supervisor and service technician of mechanical service required or machine malfunctions. Maintained an organized, safe and clean work area.
Very Productive, Fun work place. Outstanding employees
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CASeptember 30, 2013
I loved this work place, it was thee best and most fun place to work in and the people that worked there are fantastic and so positive loved this place I would enjoy working there.