San Francisco Health Plan Employee Reviews

productive and fun work place
SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 10, 2019
cool team and happy to be worked with the team again. very productive organization and helpful. Learned so much from the team and from theorganization
SFHP = Wonderful Employer!
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 21, 2019
In 2011, I was very lucky to find this gem of a health insurance company when I was looking for a healthcare IT job in San Francisco. Great company mission and culture. I loved working here.
Happy Contractor
HEDIS Abstractor (Former Employee) –  Financial DistrictJuly 20, 2019
Was only there about 5 months as a HEDIS contractor, so not able to rate some aspects, but can absolutely say that everything I saw was top-notch. Good people working together to produce the best outcomes possible, would be proud to return for another HEDIS season!
Unproductive work place
Assisting members (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 9, 2018
This company has poor management (at least at the department where I work for). There is no team culture. It seems that employees here even working for more than a year in the company, they still does not feel comfortable. 2 supervisors, bickering on meetings in front of employees, the manager does not do anything about it. As a said, poor management. I work as a temp right now, and was told that will be hired on in 2 months. I 've been there for almost 3 months and nothing. I also heard that once hired, the benefits doesn't kick in until another 60 to 90 days.
I would recomend San Francisco Healthplan to most
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 30, 2018
A typical day at SFHP is very fast paste and competitive. I learned a lot at SFHP within my 4 years being there. They presented a lot of opportunity for me to extend my resume. Depending on who your management is, they may be fair or not. I enjoy their benefits most compare to all other companies I have worked for. The most enjoyable part of the job is open floor plans with adjustable standing desk. It is located in the heart of embarcadero area, walking distance from the ferry building.
Pros
great views, flexible work hours, pension plans, multiple options for medical benefits
Cons
no parking, area is expensive and can be costly for lunch outings.
Good
SQL BI Developer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 1, 2018
I love to work at the San Francisco health plan. People in SFHP are very helpful and encouraging towards my success at SFHP. SFHP is one of the good learning center
great place to work
Utilization Review Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2018
I loved working here I was contracted thru a temp agency my team was great we helped each other casual work environment. We had great potlucks just wonderful place to work
Pros
Staff meetings catered and prizes
Cons
Great company but zero career advancement in certain department
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 7, 2018
Great company but zero career advancement in a certain department.

Manager get displeases really easily, especially when you are asking about career advancement.

You can be in the department for 9 years, know everything inside out but you still do not get promoted.
Decent Place to work
Sr. Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 18, 2017
SFHP is a decent company to work for. Lack of career advancement and a little bit of favoritism sometimes bothers employees. As an IT employee, even if you are a high performer, you sometimes get over-looked during key decision making process.

Work life balance is a winner at SFHP and people are very friendly. They occasionally encourage employees to go to conferences and help them take courses and stuff.

Overall my experience was great and I would recommend this any friend that needs job security more than anything.
Pros
Work-Life-Balance, unstressful
Cons
occasional favoritism, lack of career advancement
Professional and like minded people
I loved working at SFHP. The employees are kind and motivated. The management always needs to be refined; however, the mission and the people I worked with are what I enjoyed most.
non-profit
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Nice co-workers. management policies can be difficult. Environment is nice, and people are generally very nice. The work tends to focus a lot on member registration.
Extremely Micromanaged
Enrollment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 12, 2016
I have seen this Department change in the last 2 years. Now the Department is extremely micromanaged. The current manager uses intimidation and does not encourage you. A horrible feeling to feel everyday.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Management does not know what they are doing
rewarding to see public you serve happy and insured
Enrollment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 27, 2016
Serving the San Francisco community is very rewarding .
But the department has changed significantly and it is very micro managed. Being harassed on a daily basis is a scary thing
A day at sfhp
ITS Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 6, 2016
I really enjoyed working at SFHP. Everyone is really friendly and the culture is very diverse. People who are here are passionate at what they do. They strive on growth and development here. If there's something new you want to do to building on your professional experience, the company is willing to assist you on this.
Member Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Great CEO, company mission, location, and benefits

Cons: Lack of employee appreciation, low company morale due to elimination of holiday and other special company events due to public funds scrutiny.
Financially driven Medicaid health plan
health services department (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 23, 2015
Small organization serving the poor of San Francisco. Management is paradoxically very money oriented. No opportunity for advancement. Turn over is in the 20%. Prob. bottom 20% of Medicaid health plans in California.
Pros
located in heart of financial district (no surprise there)
Cons
management that doesn't know anything about management
Great company to work for
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 26, 2015
Great company to work for
Great people
Management turn over rate is high
Job stability is base on government funding
Provide good training for his employees
Lots of opportunity for employees
Collaborative Environment
Practice Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 3, 2015
The organization's work environment allows for collaboration between many departments. Colleagues are very professional, mission-driven, and great company in general. There is a sense of family within the organization.
Production Support Specialist
Production Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2014
A typical day involved completing the scheduled tasks from the production runbook I was tasked with maintaining as well as triaging and closing bug tracking tickets. There were around 70 daily, weekly, and monthly tasks many of which were interdependent and time sensitive. This could consume anywhere from a third to three quarters of my day depending on which tasks were scheduled. Remaining time was allocated for meetings regarding ongoing projects, fixing, updating, and optimizing of processes for scheduled tasks, as well as fielding reporting and ad hoc data analysis queries from various departments within the organization. I obtained a broader knowledge of SQL concepts working with an enrollment population of 60,000 members as well valuable knowledge in excel for identifying duplicate records as well. Most of all, I learned how to manage my time and allocate blocks for specific tasks in order to complete a rather staggering workload. The most challenging aspect of the position was managing the sheer volume of work while constantly receiving new requests. The most satisfying aspect was completing a new report, or correcting an error in the database that restored a member's eligibility, thus allowing them to receive services.
Pros
Generous PTO and well located in SOMA
Cons
Extreme diversity of tasks that required a constant shifting of focus
SF Health Plan
Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 2, 2013
Initially we would obtain a patient list from the coordinators before arriving at the hospital. We counted the number of paper charts avail and determined what was missing. If we reviewed electronic records we kept track of what was missing for further discussion. When in the office, we reviewed the data we abstracted and entered the data into two tracking program -Sharepoint. We also reviewed electronic records from the Public Health Dept and entered our core measure data into Sharepoint. My core measures included HTN and Prenatal -Postpartum. I checked my e-mails, however, I spent more of my time abstracting and entering data. My fellow abstractors were supportive and both nurses. The Management team was not supportive and unprofessional at times. I enjoyed working in downtown San Francisco and visiting the major hospitals and clinics in SF. The hardest part of the job with coping with the disorganization of the project and determining what was expected for core measure abstraction.
Pros
Opportunity to utlizie various electronic records systems and enjoyed my fellow abstractors
Cons
Management was unbearable at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Francisco Health Plan. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

4.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

San Francisco Health Plan Reviews by Location