San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

Productive classroom work
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAOctober 29, 2018
Instructors are friendly and supportive students' needs and interests.
The classroom environment is relaxed and supportive for students to work hard.
Many students enjoy the vibe in the classroom.
Pros
There are a lot of places for lunch and dinner, Student's shuttle is a useful service, Excellent advising and career development centers, Excellent library services, The online learning system works well.
Cons
Student avoid Friday afternoon classes to meet personal reasons.
A great place to study graduate Physics
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoAugust 19, 2018
I had a great experience working as a graduate Teaching assistant at SF State. The biggest benefits were the experience I gained in teaching advanced topics in physics to undergraduates in engineering and other stem fields, and having the opportunity to be a member of a very competitive and accomplished physics department. In addition, I still had the time needed to complete my Master's Thesis and do advanced research in Machine Learning and its application to Galaxy Evolution.
Pros
Nice Campus, advanced training
Cons
low pay by Bay Area Standards
Hard Work Not Rewarded
Systems Analyst/Applications Programmer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 26, 2018
It does not matter how hard you work. Hard work is NOT rewarded.
Working above and beyond what is expected is NOT compensated. Management is horrible. Even if you belong to the Union there is NO job security. Years of dedicated service means nothing to Management.
Pros
Health Care
Cons
No compensation for working above and beyond what is expected.
Review
DEANS STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 27, 2018
I was able to get a job through work study. Working in the Graduate Studies Office was very informative and helpful. My duties were to help students understand the steps to achieving their post-grad. goals. Simultaneously, I was the Dean's assistant and had to ensure appointments were confirmed, forms were delivered, and emails/phones were answered. The management was very attentive and patient.
old school and unchangable
Fiscal Affairs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 3, 2019
If you can break the barrier of entry after one year of probate and competing against union protected internal candidates and eventually become a permanent employee and you are satisfied with the current culture and willing to make no change or challenge the existing system to attempt to improve operation efficiency, then it is a place worth fighting for.
Easy going/great university culture
Buyer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 30, 2018
The university is becoming more collaborative with its employees. Since i have started my Buyer position full time I have seen the initiatives being put into place to try and better the campus community. Health and retirement benefits are good. What I like most is that my job allows me to go to school/take classes at a really discounted rate as a full time employee.
Pros
Tuition discount and health benefits
Not the best
Development (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 2, 2018
Very misleading when I was offered the job and not a lot of help doing it. Management is very poor. There isn't a lot of room to advance in your career and promotions are given by likeability. Its never merit or skill based. Women are treated very unfairly and never acknowledged.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Toxic workplace
Highly political place
Administrative Analyst/Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2018
Lack of management trainings and orientation in their role as management personnel and not enough proper training for staff. Without the union contract salary increases is difficult to request.
Cons
training of staff during orientation and training is not enough
Fun place to work as a student
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2018
It's a fun place to work at with a lot of opportunity to transfer between departments due to being a small campus with most management on a first name basis with management from other departments.
Cool student gig
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 2, 2018
Worked as a student worker. It was fine, but obviously little pay with management not making the best of decisions on the best ways to cater to the needs of students
fun place to work and gain manager experience
Wellness Student Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2018
great place to receive a good education and gain real world experience. I worked at the new wellness center as a student manager and applying to other job opportunities is a straight forward process.
Fun workplace with amazing staff
Digital Marketing Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 20, 2018
I can't say enough good things about the University of Communications Department. They are very clear about their expectations and communicate thoroughly and regularly. The staff maintains a positive working environment that includes office lunches and work parties. They are very easy to work with. The position was maintainable while also helping me learn new things everyday.
Pros
free lunches, flexible hours, office parties
Totally depends on the role/department
Senior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2018
This is a huge employer, so the satisfaction definitely depends on the role you have and the department. Overall, it is filled with smart, kind, folks who do their best.
Pros
good people, good benefits
Cons
lack of funding
SF State is a mess. Don't work there.
Director of Marketing and Engagement (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 29, 2018
This school is a joke, I wouldn't recommend anyone work there. Pay is abysmal, I was hiring people at $40k starting salaries in San Francisco! That's just not enough for the area where a six figure income is considered low income. Leadership throughout the institution is also the worst. We've all wondered why they choose the solutions they do for such important issues.
Student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 28, 2018
All my psychology classes were great
My lab I worked in, I got to work with families and go to homes with my group and take care of the children and watch therapy sessions
Everyone was very helpful when I went to offices and needed anything
I learned about coding with statistics
Great work place!
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 3, 2018
SFSU has some fo the greatest people in the the world who challenge you to learn more about the world! Everyday, I met people who make me love my job and feel like I am doing great!
Great Artists to Work With But Little Pay
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 23, 2018
If you're an artist or art professor you know that this cannot be your only job, unless you have Tenure and are successful. Everyone that works there is great but the teaching system in this country is terrible and San Francisco is unaffordable with this job alone.
Good place to work.
Telecommunications Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 6, 2018
Good place to work and improve your career. Lots of projects to work on and management supports these initiative; friendly environment and the campus is nice and pleasant as well.
Pros
Good place to work.
Cons
Fun workplace that allows you to exercise teaching strategies
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 11, 2018
This was and AMAZING place to work at. The staff is great, and they are always willing to bounce ideas off of each other. I always felt welcomed and at ease when inputting my ideas and methods into the classroom
Fun working enviroment
Intramural Sports Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 14, 2018
The beginning of each semester required the most work. the pace slows down once the leagues are running. and then can pick up slightly at the end of each semester.