San Francisco State University

San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

United States385 reviews
Wonderful school to work.
SFSU is a great school with many opportunities for both part time and full time work. The fact that the managers and employers are there with flexible hours and helps to promote growth is amazing.
Graduate teaching assistant
I enjoyed working for San Francisco state university especially in the philosophy department. My advisor provided me with great encouragement and shows me important skills.
Great people and wonderful management.
I would start my day and would greet each and everyone who I happened to be working with. Each person was wonderful and friendly. My supervisors were wonderful people to be around and were the epitome of supportive. The customers sucked, but every so often, there was one that made my day.
Rewarding Place to Work
Rewarding work. Little pay, not unexpected. It's a state school. Constantly learning about education and student needs. Great workplace culture and community.
Pros
Community, Experience, Rewarding
Cons
No benefits
Pay your employees
Pay your people. I worked a lot of extra hours for this place. We were only allowed to be paid for 2.3 hours per week, but definitely couldn't fit in tutoring and grading. not worth it
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
research and Innovation
Got to play around with real survey data for analysis and presentation. Professor with whom I worked on the research project was very kind, helping and supportive.
Affordable Degree
I think some of the curriculum could be improved here, but if you just need a degree without the crazy expensive education, this is your place. Also very nice diversity.
Great research lab to work in and get good laboratory experience
Consisted of synthesis, extraction, purification, and analysis in an organic chemistry research lab. learned different extraction methods and lots of purifying through column chromatography and analyzation through NMR
Great place to study and teach
The English department at SFState offers amazing programs where students are able not only to learn but practice a variety of skills, and get a lot of support and encouragement from professors. Even if you are a non-native English speaker, your skills and abilities will be equally valued and respected by professor and fellow students.
Good for in-between classes
Grading assignments was manageable with the workload only because it can be done between classes and in downtime, but you have to be good at managing your time, or it will seem to be overwhelming.
Fun place to work.
I have learned a variety of equipment and participated in many roles. I have been given an opportunity to build a great asset to the university. The night shift has its challenges but we can get so much more accomplished.
Bad Incompetent management
Poor Management. Work Cultural was slow and sad. Not able to use any creativity. Authoritative Management Style from the 50’s.

Has great benefits but the compensation is very low for the Bay Area market.
The community of philosophers is a wonderful group of deep thinkers.
My experience has been great here. However, the effectiveness of teaching rather depends on how much I put into it and therefore, there is always room for improvement.
Fun and Diverse environment
Fair job
Diverse culture

Great coworkers

Amazing staff

Easy to maintain however the pay you will receive is not much when compared to how much the cost of living is in San Francisco
Productive work place
I enjoy being a scholar and working on research that interests me. the work is independent as long as I work on my task I was okay to leave. There wasn't anything hard about this job. It was an amazing experience to have.
Teacher assistant work is just that
Working with a professor is as rewarding as you allow it to be. Working with the right professor can help both parties with professional goals. Overall great experience for students
Not a lot of support from management regarding staff
There's an air of distrust from management and staff. Not much support coming from the administration for the betterment of staff. Staff is hardworking people, know more than their managers in most cases.
Excellent Teaching Experience
Working as a graduate teaching assistant taught me a lot. I learned better time management skills, I learned how to plan and deliver a lecture, and how to work with diverse groups. The monthly pedagogical seminars were extremely helpful and my supervisor was supportive.
Great students
Great students and a university committed to students of all income backgrounds. Many students work so it's hard to get them fully engaged always in the classes
Go Gators!
I had an internship at SFSU. It was awesome. I worked in the Kinesiology department. I would highly recommend working there in the lab. The faculty are supportive, inviting, and will help you learn.
Great place to work and get your career in sports started.
I worked at this place as a seasonal worker and learned a lot about the organization and the sports industry. People are very knowledgeable
and willing to share with others.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Francisco State University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight