San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

Fun workplace that allows you to exercise teaching strategies
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 11, 2018
This was and AMAZING place to work at. The staff is great, and they are always willing to bounce ideas off of each other. I always felt welcomed and at ease when inputting my ideas and methods into the classroom
Great Place
Academic Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 7, 2018
Great job to get within your department to work and go to school. Environment was great and productive. You are allowed to study when you need the time.
fun place to work and gain manager experience
Wellness Student Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2018
great place to receive a good education and gain real world experience. I worked at the new wellness center as a student manager and applying to other job opportunities is a straight forward process.
Cool student gig
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 2, 2018
Worked as a student worker. It was fine, but obviously little pay with management not making the best of decisions on the best ways to cater to the needs of students
Stressful but rewarding
Gallery Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 19, 2018
Once I got a jist of things, I understood what I needed to do and excelled as well as gaining new experience that I have never had. Still, it was somewhat stressful as I had to balance it with my studies and multitask.
Pros
Calm, fair lunch break time, and not alone.
SF State is a mess. Don't work there.
Director of Marketing and Engagement (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 29, 2018
This school is a joke, I wouldn't recommend anyone work there. Pay is abysmal, I was hiring people at $40k starting salaries in San Francisco! That's just not enough for the area where a six figure income is considered low income. Leadership throughout the institution is also the worst. We've all wondered why they choose the solutions they do for such important issues.
Teacher/Director
Teacher-Professor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 28, 2018
Supervisorial support was excellent.
The students were cooperative.
The material was engaging.
The systems were helpful and generally user-friendly.
The subject material was stimulating.
Fun program that tends to your growth and development.
INTERN, Health Education Department (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 24, 2018
This internship promoted my growth and development as a health educator allowing me to positively impact my immediate SFSU community. It also allowed me to implement my health education program in order to address health disparities particular to the student body.
Fun workplace with amazing staff
Digital Marketing Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 20, 2018
I can't say enough good things about the University of Communications Department. They are very clear about their expectations and communicate thoroughly and regularly. The staff maintains a positive working environment that includes office lunches and work parties. They are very easy to work with. The position was maintainable while also helping me learn new things everyday.
Pros
free lunches, flexible hours, office parties
A great place to study graduate Physics
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoAugust 19, 2018
I had a great experience working as a graduate Teaching assistant at SF State. The biggest benefits were the experience I gained in teaching advanced topics in physics to undergraduates in engineering and other stem fields, and having the opportunity to be a member of a very competitive and accomplished physics department. In addition, I still had the time needed to complete my Master's Thesis and do advanced research in Machine Learning and its application to Galaxy Evolution.
Pros
Nice Campus, advanced training
Cons
low pay by Bay Area Standards
Great Opportunity for College Students
Office Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 23, 2018
Positions at SFSU are perfect when you are a student as you can stay close to campus in order to complete student work while staying employed. Be sure to ask supervisors for growth opportunities.
Instruction and leadership skills
Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 20, 2018
As an instructor at SFSU I gained valuable experience in teaching as well as hands-on experience with developing course materials including lecture slides, assignments, exams and extra credit. This position also improved my ability to teach in a way that is interactive, clear, and engaging.
Pros
Lead instructor
Cons
Short term position
Not the best
Development (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 2, 2018
Very misleading when I was offered the job and not a lot of help doing it. Management is very poor. There isn't a lot of room to advance in your career and promotions are given by likeability. Its never merit or skill based. Women are treated very unfairly and never acknowledged.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Toxic workplace
Highly political place
Administrative Analyst/Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2018
Lack of management trainings and orientation in their role as management personnel and not enough proper training for staff. Without the union contract salary increases is difficult to request.
Cons
training of staff during orientation and training is not enough
Teaching assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 18, 2018
sometime there are a lot of work to do. Other time there are no work to assign.
I have learned how make adjust myself to feed work schedule.
I learn communication is very important that can maximize yourself potential including people around you.
Keep open minded and keep learning new technology.
Don't be boss oriented or self oriented. Be customer oriented:)
Pros
time flexible, people are very friendly, can work remotely.
Cons
sometime that are a lot of work. Sometime there is no work
Great School
Student Sports Reporter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2018
It's great being a student working on personal projects at this school. For me, it was sports reporting. I was able to develop skills for basketball, soccer, and volleyball games.
Totally depends on the role/department
Senior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2018
This is a huge employer, so the satisfaction definitely depends on the role you have and the department. Overall, it is filled with smart, kind, folks who do their best.
Pros
good people, good benefits
Cons
lack of funding
TA and Tutoring
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94132June 2, 2018
I took course credit for my work as a graduate student, and I learned how to work one-on-one with students. I loved working with flexible leaders in education.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No pay
Networking Intern
Network Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 28, 2018
I interned at SFSU for one semester. Overall, the environment was relaxed, people were good at their jobs, and cared about their work. It was a great experience that helped me prepare for the real working world. They were flexible with my needs.
Pros
Cons
Government work
good working enviroment
Biochemistry Laboratory Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 11, 2018
good work study environment, that helped ,me get hands on and practical experience with what was taught in lecture. easy access to the principal investigator of the lab
Pros
good working environment
Cons
low wages for students