San Francisco State University logo

San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

San Francisco State University insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

It's a great place for students, especially if you already go here. I've never had a problem with staff here, everyone is very inclusive and kind. I've enjoyed my time here.

College Radio KSFS

Wasn't actually employed by SFSU, but was considered Staff at KSFS Radio on campus through class. Had a great time, loved working on the Events Team.

Pros

Live radio, fun events

Cons

Not an actual employee so no pay, but class credit.

Incredible faculty dedicated to students

Many faculty put in long hard hours to prepare instruction, support students and attend department meetings. It is challenging for new instructors to get enough courses to make a living, better to have another full time job while trying to build seniority to get classes. Pay is low and teaching 5 courses to be considered full time is a ridiculous standard!

Pros

Meaningful work

Cons

Low pay

Fine

It's an okay place to work. I do not work full time so I do not know the benefits that are provided. From experience it is a good place for advancement.

Nothing special

Worked as a student assistant and it was pretty boring. The pay is low but you aren’t doing any real work anyway. I could usually get all my tasks done by the first two hours and use the rest of the time to get homework done.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Low pay

Good Experience

I worked in the dining room. The students are the number one customer, make them happy and you will love working there. management is super supportive and allows you a degree of freedom to manage independently.

Pros

Great Management

Cons

no down time, always moving

Vast amount of knowledge, incredible supervisor

I worked at the poetry center and it was a lot of fun. My supervisor gave me free-range when it came to creativity. Gaining knowledge on previous poets, writers was very fulfilling. It taught me to be patient, to read between the lines and be grateful to all forms of art. Transcribing old audio clips were fun!

Pros

On campus, schedule, great management

Cons

Not enough staff!

Fun workplace with diversity

It was a fun workplace with lots of diversity. Had lots of fun here. Everyone was so welcoming and you really were able to learn as well. Loved meeting new and different people.

Lack of Funds

Sad to see they laid off 100+ employees with little transition from union and the University itself. Poorly ran and outdated. Everyone looks out for themselves only but the people themselves can be nice..

Work life balance workplace

I worked here as a software engineering research internship. Since it involves of research, I have quite amount of academic paper to read at first. After finished the intern, I realized how much industry knowledge I lack of. This job gave me the chance to see what area of skill I need to work on.

Pros

No pressure, friendly peers

Cons

Not much compensation

Jobs at San Francisco State University

See more jobs

Good community atmosphere

management was messy and they expected us to do a lot as full-time students, but i would recommend working on campus especially if you are new to SFSU or are seeking a community.

Pros

free housing

Cons

no pay, many hours, many expectations

Fun, friendly environment but lack of improvement in the system the use

Friendly and fun place for first time job experienced. But the system need improvement so accounting can go smoothly. The accounting system was having an error when I get hired so the first 3 months I got paid for doing nothing. It’s kinda boring. Then the supervisor left for another job, she said she was sorry that she has to leave partly of the system problem, but she continue keep in touch with us even until today. The management need to be improved. It seemed that they didn’t want to fix the problem. Even after we have another accounting system, it didn’t solve the problem and I have a problem reconciled the vendor accounts because of that. After a while I got bored because I have nothing to learn anymore so I quit.

Pros

Free tuition if I can get at least C in the course I take

Cons

Lack of learning in the company

Low compensation and lack of movement

San Francisco State has great benefits but the pay is terrible. Not much upward movement or sense of fulfillment in my current job. The people I work with and management are not qualified in the roles that they have.

Benefits

Cons

Short breaks, lack of independence, unqualified employees and managers

Relaxed environment for an assistant

Supervisors are generally kind, caring, and helpful toward those further down the career ladder, though, like any bureaucracy, the job comes with some involvement in menial tasks, scattered management, and uncertain purpose.

fun place to work

I’ve never done it, but I’ve worked with plenty of people who do that commute every day. Very few of them like it. It doesn’t matter if they are taking the tech bus, Caltrain or car, they tend to hate it. SF is a big place, so many people who do take the tech bus or transportation have to walk, Uber or take another bus to get to the bus stop or Caltrain station.

It is always so much fun to work on dance course works at San Francisco State University.

The dancers tell us why they love their job. “I feel that I am working with professionals that I can learn from and that they will push me to take on new and challenging opportunities which are enjoyable.” “I am treated with respect, given daily encouragement, and paid well.” “I feel respected and valued for what I bring to the dance room floor area. “Professors, success is what motivates me to do a good job, but the hardest part of the job is to leave the students they are just like family members to the Professors . Knowing the fact that my hard work and perseverance will help me achieve greater professional success is what keeps me going. I feel that aligning the company's vision and values with my own is one way to achieve that.

Pros

Lunch is for about one hour you have plenty of amount of time to enjoy lunch.

Cons

Breaks are at your leisure to spend about an half and hour to just be restful.

Educational environment to grow and hone your skills

The typical day working for San Francisco State University was great. You come in and know exactly what you need to accomplish for the day. I was able to learn more about customer service and how to better assist people

Great experience

I enjoyed my time teaching at SFSU. The pay could be better given the cost of living, but that seems to be out of my departments control. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my time as a student and would certainly recommend being a GTA.

Pros

Culture, experience, and the students.

Cons

Pay

Productive and fun workplace

I enjoyed studying and working at SFSU. SFSU has great work atmosphere, management, job security, and life balance. I was a part time Graduate assistant during the time i was working on M.S degree in Engineering.

fun

To recognize academically outstanding undergraduate and graduate students with demonstrated financial need pursuing a degree in the department of Humanities.

Wonderful school to work.

SFSU is a great school with many opportunities for both part time and full time work. The fact that the managers and employers are there with flexible hours and helps to promote growth is amazing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Francisco State University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight