San Francisco State University
Here to help
Coronavirus update

San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

United States391 reviews
I’ve never done it, but I’ve worked with plenty of people who do that commute every day. Very few of them like it. It doesn’t matter if they are taking the tech bus, Caltrain or car, they tend to hate it. SF is a big place, so many people who do take the tech bus or transportation have to walk, Uber or take another bus to get to the bus stop or Caltrain station.
The dancers tell us why they love their job. “I feel that I am working with professionals that I can learn from and that they will push me to take on new and challenging opportunities which are enjoyable.” “I am treated with respect, given daily encouragement, and paid well.” “I feel respected and valued for what I bring to the dance room floor area. “Professors, success is what motivates me to do a good job, but the hardest part of the job is to leave the students they are just like family members to the Professors . Knowing the fact that my hard work and perseverance will help me achieve greater professional success is what keeps me going. I feel that aligning the company's vision and values with my own is one way to achieve that.
Pros
Lunch is for about one hour you have plenty of amount of time to enjoy lunch.
Cons
Breaks are at your leisure to spend about an half and hour to just be restful.
The typical day working for San Francisco State University was great. You come in and know exactly what you need to accomplish for the day. I was able to learn more about customer service and how to better assist people
I enjoyed my time teaching at SFSU. The pay could be better given the cost of living, but that seems to be out of my departments control. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my time as a student and would certainly recommend being a GTA.
Pros
Culture, experience, and the students.
Cons
Pay
I enjoyed studying and working at SFSU. SFSU has great work atmosphere, management, job security, and life balance. I was a part time Graduate assistant during the time i was working on M.S degree in Engineering.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
To recognize academically outstanding undergraduate and graduate students with demonstrated financial need pursuing a degree in the department of Humanities.
SFSU is a great school with many opportunities for both part time and full time work. The fact that the managers and employers are there with flexible hours and helps to promote growth is amazing.
I enjoyed working for San Francisco state university especially in the philosophy department. My advisor provided me with great encouragement and shows me important skills.
I would start my day and would greet each and everyone who I happened to be working with. Each person was wonderful and friendly. My supervisors were wonderful people to be around and were the epitome of supportive. The customers sucked, but every so often, there was one that made my day.
Rewarding work. Little pay, not unexpected. It's a state school. Constantly learning about education and student needs. Great workplace culture and community.
Pros
Community, Experience, Rewarding
Cons
No benefits
Pay your people. I worked a lot of extra hours for this place. We were only allowed to be paid for 2.3 hours per week, but definitely couldn't fit in tutoring and grading. not worth it
Got to play around with real survey data for analysis and presentation. Professor with whom I worked on the research project was very kind, helping and supportive.
I think some of the curriculum could be improved here, but if you just need a degree without the crazy expensive education, this is your place. Also very nice diversity.
Consisted of synthesis, extraction, purification, and analysis in an organic chemistry research lab. learned different extraction methods and lots of purifying through column chromatography and analyzation through NMR
The English department at SFState offers amazing programs where students are able not only to learn but practice a variety of skills, and get a lot of support and encouragement from professors. Even if you are a non-native English speaker, your skills and abilities will be equally valued and respected by professor and fellow students.
Grading assignments was manageable with the workload only because it can be done between classes and in downtime, but you have to be good at managing your time, or it will seem to be overwhelming.
I have learned a variety of equipment and participated in many roles. I have been given an opportunity to build a great asset to the university. The night shift has its challenges but we can get so much more accomplished.
Poor Management. Work Cultural was slow and sad. Not able to use any creativity. Authoritative Management Style from the 50’s.

Has great benefits but the compensation is very low for the Bay Area market.
My experience has been great here. However, the effectiveness of teaching rather depends on how much I put into it and therefore, there is always room for improvement.
Fair job
Diverse culture

Great coworkers

Amazing staff

Easy to maintain however the pay you will receive is not much when compared to how much the cost of living is in San Francisco
I enjoy being a scholar and working on research that interests me. the work is independent as long as I work on my task I was okay to leave. There wasn't anything hard about this job. It was an amazing experience to have.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Francisco State University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight