San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

If you like disorganized and angry people work here
Student Programing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 31, 2019
Very disorganized no one cares or knows anything. They are prejudice and purposely took money out my paycheck when reported no one did anything. They are a scam. They do not want to improve this school or make spirit.
work
Administrative (Customer) Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2019
regret leaving this place, I wish I would have stayed at this establishment. Good workplace, nice people, the workload was decent. office area was next to the mall. wish I could work back there.
Great environment, not enough pay.
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 5, 2019
I loved working at SFSU. I felt supported by my direct department, but as usual, educational bureaucracy is a problem. The SF/Bay area is just impossible to live in due to high cost, so I had to leave.
Pros
supportive, inclusive
Cons
pay
Sfsu
Executive Assistant for Department Chair (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 5, 2019
This university gave me access to many ideas and avenues I did not even see on my future's radar. Introduction to ethnic studies, gave me a road to finding my passion.
Fun
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 2, 2019
It was fun and tough. Really good team of people and friendly staff. Really easy for students to work there and get experience necessary. Would recommend.
Work environment not great
Veterans Assistant to students (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 25, 2019
Place of work was okay. The managers I had at this time were horrible. They would talk about firing people in front of them while giggling about it, they would give new workers important paperwork without enough training which would mess up benefits for Vets. The boss was never there and rarely available, which made a riot out of students who needed their money and their paperwork signed off by him to receive their money to live. You get paid every 15 hours you work but only when the manager has time to send it out and then you still have to wait between a week-month to receive your checks. It is overall ridiculous. The pay is 10.50$ an hour too , where minimum wage in SF is 15$ per hour.
Great part time job
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CAJune 24, 2019
Working in the Student Center was fun. I got to meet a lot of fellow students and enjoyed the part-time work. I also enjoyed being able to do homework during breaks.
Great opportunity
Disability Programs & Resource Center Aide (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2019
There was no such thing as a typical day. Every day was different. I learned how to talk to and work with many different kinds of people. I learned a lot about health and how to educate effectively. Management was good and supportive, but sparse.
Typical Day
Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 7, 2019
A normal day would consist of coming into the store and working on the floor including the following: Cashier duties, maintaining the floor and helping customers as followed. The bookstore environment is a great area.
No benefits
Director of Finance & Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2019
Compensations wasn't as what you would expect.
Typical day at work is very chill, helping out the students was really fun, but sometimes it could be very boring on some of the tasks at work.
friendly atmoshere
Current Student (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 29, 2019
I'm about to go into my Junior year at San Francisco State and I can honestly say this a good school because not only did I enjoy talking to the lovely students but also I like the teachers.
Low compensation but good pension if you stay on
Project Manager, Capital Planning (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2019
You will not make a fortune here but job security and the CalPERS pension can make it worth it it if you are ON to being in lowere middle class. Politics at a state University can make the the job great and then suddenly take a downturn. Most eomplyees tough it it out to get their years of service.
A great environment for thinking deeply about matters.
Lecturer / Primary Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2019
There are no typical days at work.When teaching, Just as current events change by day,The substance of discussion changes with it. Professors typically hold meetings at various times through the day. There's usually somebody around to help out with questions one might have.
Pros
If you're passionate about teaching, it is fun to be at work.
Cons
Cost-of-living in San Francisco is higher than the wages.
Working for professor = get on their good side
Rapid Prototyping Lab Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2019
It's always a good idea to work for your professor, especially if it means getting on their good side. They are an important part of getting references for future jobs. They want to see you succeed.
Pros
good experience teaching undergrads how to do proper research
Cons
low pay
good college
Assistant Programmer (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2019
a good culture and have strong foundation, have a good program for engineering. professors motivate students to do their best and not settle for less. good campus
great
ACADEMIC ADVISOR/GRADUATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  CAApril 22, 2019
Job was amazing to have. I regret to leave, solely on a relocating basis. The people and students are great, room for growth and there is so much flexibility in what you can do
It was fine first job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 4, 2019
This job was nothing really special. I got the job around the same time i got my other job, and often found myself comparing the two.

The work itself was running the register in the San Francisco State University Bookstore, which was what it was. Nothing really special stuck out
Pros
Discounts on supplies
Cons
Temporary position
Good place to learn
Chair (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2019
learned a lot while my time there, and was able to apply all my knowledge to what I was doing. Not much training was offered, but support was available.
Great School
University Track Coach (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 21, 2019
Coaching is a competition, and there is a lot of people who would have loved to have the opportunity I was given by SFSU. We work hard there, and I loved the opportunity they provided for me.

Great School, and great people.
Student Researcher
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 8, 2019
I have learned many things during my time as a student researcher in the department of Mathematics. I am very grateful for the opportunity to have accessible and supportive colleagues, professors and mentors, and I feel that I have also developed communication and presentation skills.