San Francisco State University

San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

United States416 reviews

franciscosanstudentuniversityprofessorcampusstategraduate

Great flexibility

Great way to start off and gain experience as a student. Manager was always there to help and my coworkers made my days easier. I definitely suggest working here.

Okay part time job for students

pretty solitary work for the most part especially if you’re scheduled for night shifts at the village or for UPN and UPS. worst thing to deal with: unreliable coworkers and first year students living at the dorms. the job training was a joke, you’re just being taught by those who also just started working there recently.

San Francisco State University insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Exceptional training and excellent pay for employment

I really appreciate and enjoy working here even though it’s a seasonal opportunity. I wish I would be hired permanently and be offered a sponsorship into the teamsters union 2010

Job Security

Great benefits decent pay. Industry is changing to more corporate. Easy work environment but understaffed due to lower pay in an expensive area. Job security.

Pros

Great mission and people.

Cons

Industry changing

Fun school to be apart of.

Good culture with an underrated campus. Professors are thoughtful and caring (for the most part). I've enjoyed my time here and I would recommend it to everyone.

Diversity

Driving from East Bay is long commute because of traffic. Being at this school I learned about cultural competence and diversity. Management is supportive and takes time to have office hours to listen to ideas from students and how to best serve them. The hardest part is commuting.

Pros

diversity

Cons

traffic from east bay

Passed out test tubes and explained the COVID test tubes. Also scanned COVID test tubes.

It was a an easy job but wasn’t given all the hours I provided after a while of working there. I liked that my coworkers were friendly and welcoming.

Flexible schedule to students

You'll be mentoring students in the subject that you are majoring in. Feel helpful to students since you are teaching them what you wish you were taught when you were going through the program.

It was good as a college student.

Overall wish management was more thorough from the department I worked in. There were definite office biases towards other students, but it wasn't necessarily unbearable.

Great work environment

I have learned a lot about Facilities Maintenance Manager & from all trades. SFSU allows you to work with your personal schedule for family. Every day there is a new issue to address & learn from

Great job but short term

Working at SFSU was great and the department I worked in respects me as a person, but due to COVID I had a short term working there and couldn’t be hired again.

Do not work here if you have a choice

Despite the potential, this is the worst place I've worked at. The worst management and terrible leadership. Chaotic processes and no training. The pay is way under market rate, but the university has no problems piling on the work. Don't work here if you have options.

It's a great place for students, especially if you already go here. I've never had a problem with staff here, everyone is very inclusive and kind. I've enjoyed my time here.

College Radio KSFS

Wasn't actually employed by SFSU, but was considered Staff at KSFS Radio on campus through class. Had a great time, loved working on the Events Team.

Pros

Live radio, fun events

Cons

Not an actual employee so no pay, but class credit.

Incredible faculty dedicated to students

Many faculty put in long hard hours to prepare instruction, support students and attend department meetings. It is challenging for new instructors to get enough courses to make a living, better to have another full time job while trying to build seniority to get classes. Pay is low and teaching 5 courses to be considered full time is a ridiculous standard!

Pros

Meaningful work

Cons

Low pay

Fine

It's an okay place to work. I do not work full time so I do not know the benefits that are provided. From experience it is a good place for advancement.

Nothing special

Worked as a student assistant and it was pretty boring. The pay is low but you aren’t doing any real work anyway. I could usually get all my tasks done by the first two hours and use the rest of the time to get homework done.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Low pay

Good Experience

I worked in the dining room. The students are the number one customer, make them happy and you will love working there. management is super supportive and allows you a degree of freedom to manage independently.

Pros

Great Management

Cons

no down time, always moving

Vast amount of knowledge, incredible supervisor

I worked at the poetry center and it was a lot of fun. My supervisor gave me free-range when it came to creativity. Gaining knowledge on previous poets, writers was very fulfilling. It taught me to be patient, to read between the lines and be grateful to all forms of art. Transcribing old audio clips were fun!

Pros

On campus, schedule, great management

Cons

Not enough staff!

Fun workplace with diversity

It was a fun workplace with lots of diversity. Had lots of fun here. Everyone was so welcoming and you really were able to learn as well. Loved meeting new and different people.

Lack of Funds

Sad to see they laid off 100+ employees with little transition from union and the University itself. Poorly ran and outdated. Everyone looks out for themselves only but the people themselves can be nice..

Common questions about San Francisco State University

Answered by current and former employees at San Francisco State University

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Francisco State University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight
  • San Francisco State University
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?