San Joaquin County Office of Education Employee Reviews

Rewarding experience
Instructional Assistant for Special Education (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 17, 2018
Overall I love working for San Joaquin County. I feel appreciated for my work. This job is not for just anyone, you must be patient to work with students. It can be extremely stressful, but it is rewarding!
Pros
good pay
Cons
you will be stressed mentally
Great staff
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Linden, CAApril 21, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of group work with students during summer school. I learned about behavioral strategies. The hardest part of the job was reinforcing behavior.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 26, 2018
Its a good place to work, managing, phones, mail and directing, vendors, dealing with maintenance issues. Providing support to the Executive staff.
The culture is diverse. The most enjoyable was the many people you had the opportunity to meet.
Pros
good location
Cons
can be slow paced
Good place to wirk
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  SticktonMarch 24, 2018
I appreciated experience and the management team. They were supportive encouraging able to give direction. They were also appreciative And supporting the entire staff
Pros
They were supporting of the entire staff
Cons
No advancement
Excellent County Office of Education
Human Resource Technician II (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 14, 2018
Great Staff, great benefits, and great environment to work for. If you are a good worker there is job security. It is hard for advancements since the people stay and not leave until retirement.
Great place to work at.
Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Stockton caFebruary 28, 2018
Work for 15 years with a devirse of people awesome Departments. Managements is very supportive they support staff and provide great trainings to continue learning.
Pros
Close to freeway
Cons
Non
The schedule is greaat when you have kids in school
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAFebruary 20, 2018
I love working with the kids. I have had many of them touch my heart over the years. The hours are great and you get all the holidays off. It's a perfect schedule for any mother.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
As a sub you dont get paid holidays or pto
Could have been great....was NOT
Alternative Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Small school siteJanuary 26, 2018
As a teacher of alternative students with 28 years of successful experience, I lost my position at SJCOE within the first month after being observed for 30 minutes by a much younger and less experienced teacher/coordinator. I was reported as not using the right books, not teaching the right materials, and not being "organized" in the early part of a school term, it is especially important to build relationships with alternative students so that as the school year progresses, students will buy into the academic work. This is what I was doing while being observed by this younger professional. It so happened that several of these students were friends of other students I had previously taught and they reported regret at losing a teacher they were feeling was going to be able to help them progress in school. I later had frequent contact with two of the students and they expressed their disappointment at not having me as their teacher. They said the replacement was a real loser and they did not really get into the working the program as they wanted to do to graduate. To be judged inadequate for one's position after so many years of experiencing success was quite a downer for me, and I feel badly that I was not able to be there to help the kind of students that I have been very successful with in the past. Bummer!!

I believe I should have been allowed to show what I could do as a whole with alternative students rather than be "evaluated" by a much less-experienced individual. My effectiveness could much better be demonstrated by the many many students I have successfully mentored
  more... over the years....now public school teachers, highway patrolmen, small-town mayors, engineers, firemen, city policemen, professional musicians, artists, and others!!

I have never lost a position previously, and have had tenure of five years or more with three school districts. SJCOE blew it!!
Pros
a lot of great kids to work with
Cons
As above
Productive and collaborative
Migrant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CADecember 18, 2017
Make phone calls to parents and child to schedule meeting/tutoring times.

Served as a resource for the parents; if the parents needed food, clothing, dental or medical services I would refer them to the necessary people/ places.

Made lesson plans for students.

Tutored K-12 I students in Language Arts

Corrected and recorded information.

As a speech and debate teacher I coached students with speech and debate.

Scheduled and conducted staff meetings.

Contacted parents
Pros
Fun and Enjoyable environment and great staff and supervisor
Cons
Not a full time position
Relaxed easy going environment. Great co workers and great management.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CADecember 2, 2017
I recommend any position open for San Joaquin County Office of Education. Friendly people and everyone is so loving and easy going. Best company to work for.
Very well pleased
Internship (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 21, 2017
I was a student at this job always willing to learn new trades and never turned down a challenge I had a great experience and I do recomed to others thank you
Cons
I like working with families and educating them about there children and the way program set up too.
Parent Educator (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 17, 2017
day starts with drive over many hours every day. after checking in with my supervisor then off to go to my Home Visits. I learn that I am on my own and there is no help or assists me on my job. the Management are there not to encourage you at the time of need. In this work place there is no room to grow for other culture , and grow is for certain culture not all. hart pert of job is no one is unbiased to talk to or confined it with. So far losing so many staffs because of this conditions
Pros
work shops
Cons
compounded work schedule
Friendly Special Education Department
Technician (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 11, 2017
Position was quite demanding and there were other departments that had incredible amounts of down-time, while others were staying late and working over time in order to meet deadlines and complete tasks. Management was not very understanding of new employees needing time to learn and improve under such grueling deadlines.
Never boring
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAAugust 7, 2017
I had a great time working for SJCOE. I had the best team anybody could have asked for and the kids were a lot of fun. The only thing they need to really fix is their benefits.
Pros
Great pay, fast-paced, paid vacation
Benefits
fast pace
ERSEA Technician (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 31, 2017
daily data entry and monitoring data reports. I learn daily an effective way of presenting to managers. The most enjoyable part about my job I enjoy working with numbers and developing reports daily.
Pros
long term
Cons
a large amount out of check from county
Productive and good working atmosphere.
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 5, 2017
SJCOE provides a very positive work environment for their employees. The amazing personalities from the kids make work enjoyable and the talented staff has the credibility to overcome any tasks.
Pros
Weekends and holidays off
Cons
Unpaid vacations, no benefits
Start it
Educational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 20, 2017
Was hired to start an aviation and aeronautics based high school in Stockton California. With all the backing of superintendents and administrators SJOC has their employees back. Great place to work.
Pros
Great People
This agency is very flexible with work flow
Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 24, 2017
I enjoy working with all the different agencies that they vendor with.
The educators and specialist have very professional skills and provide great service to families.

The County Employees that hire me are always very professional.
Cons
No full time employment available
Working at SJCOE
Community Outreach Manager (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 16, 2017
The majority of the employees at SJCOE are very kind and helpful. People say Hello to you even if they do not know you. SJCOE pays their employees well. The only thing about SJCOE is that they force you to take their benefits even if you already have them with your spouse.
Fun. Great place to work.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 24, 2016
I worked there for 7 years. I had great supervisors and co-workers. My hours worked well with my school schedule and while I was a volunteer firefighter.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Part-time.