San Joaquin Valley College Employee Reviews

Substandard work environment and education
student (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 8, 2019
The worst working environment ever. The President has personal issues that she lets control her decision-making process Unfortunately, she also chooses to overindulge in alcohol with her faculty and staff which also increases her insecurity and ability to make intelligent decisions.
Unfortunately, the students are receiving a very substandard education at the Lancaster location. All the Great quality educators leave within a couple of months.
Really cool job
FINANCIAL AID OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 26, 2019
The job itself is very demanding, there is always something to do. You must be organized. Overal I enjoyed going to work. It is great work experience.
productive and fun work environment
Coll Admissions Community Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 18, 2019
Great place to work faulty staff as well as all the students make for a great experience. the education the students receive make it great to attend work everyday.
Pros
Employees
Cons
non
At will
Lvn Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 18, 2019
They are at will employer and will let you go for any reason they won’t talk to you about it but lie and said they did No paperwork to back it up they don’t let you defend yourself and are told to be quiet when trying to speak when being let go no compassion no heart if they don’t like you, you are out of a job !!
Pros
Cons
All of it
Sjvc
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMay 22, 2019
Great for vocational and academic study.
Compassionate Instructors
Compassionate Counselors
Team Leadership
Professional Environment
Changing lives
Teaching marketable skills.
Ok
MEIDCAL ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAApril 22, 2019
the stafffing was amazing and they are well involved with the students, the class size was a little big and a bit overwhelming to monitor and be hands on with all, when doing labs they all need eyes on them, over all experience was good.
Great people to work with.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  CAApril 4, 2019
While the pay and opportunity leave a lot to be desired, the people are good to work with. The fact that the pay is so low, is probably the reason they can not fill vacant positions.
Pros
fairly light schedule
Cons
the pay is not equitable for all.
Hostile working environment
Career Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 1, 2019
I dread coming to work everyday. I have attempted to reach out and report an individual for creating a hostile work environment for me, but nothing has been done. No sympathy for the personal lives of their workers.
Mediocre place to work
Adjunct Online Instructor/Course Developer (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CA 93291March 23, 2019
As an instructor for SJVC, I loved the students and my immediate supervisor, but administration changed so often, and eventually the visionary in charge envisioned me out of wanting to work for SJVC.
Pros
Wonderful students and peers
Cons
Low pay and micromanaged
High expectations and Poor Management
Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 14, 2019
They have high expectations on career services advisors and don’t even provide qualified students to place. I saw more employees go, then actually stay. I was the only advisor on the campus and dealt with all the students in professionally developing them and preparing them to get hired in their field. I would also work with all the employers to set up from 12-20 externs every 5 weeks, while having to place at least 12-15graduates every 5 weeks. While doing the other million things they’ll add on. They stretched me and that didn’t stop me, because I’m up for the challenge. But they never made an effort to assist, they just stood on the side lines and passed down indirect threats from senior management. Asked for additional and always brought up budget and said the campus wasn’t big enough. They seem to sale their programs so highly, but are not even providing the students with the proper training to work in the field. I was there and invested into putting the school on the map in Lancaster. Most employers that I worked with directly, felt that SJVC grads were not ready to work in the field. Maybe that’s because half of the people teaching don’t even have a proper education. They let me go, after being amongst the top performers in all the campuses in many occasions. No explanation when I asked for one. Just a response, that management had already made the decision. Good luck, to them on getting accredited again.
Great Place!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Salida, CAMarch 4, 2019
At the Modesto campus everyone really is a team. Management is great, lots of communication, lots of support! I feel they try very hard to work with people and management understands the daily struggles of working with so many students. Students can be difficult at times, and there is a lot expected in reaching out to students, and putting in extra work to help them pass. Can be frustrating because some students just do not care, and instructors can not make them.
Pay could be better, especially when you have degrees...
Pros
Great management, great team
Cons
Students can be difficult, causing more work for instructor
I liked Instructing here
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 26, 2018
Overall, the hours were great and worked for me as I had another career position during the day. I taught evening classes here. We were paid for prep time above and beyond the 5 hour evening class.
Work environment is great. Management was excellent.
Very Rewarding Company to Work With
Medical Office Administration Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 10, 2018
Teaching SJVC students was a great joy, and it was made that much more enjoyable by the support I received from campus staff, including my direct manager, the campus president, the various deans, and support staff.
Great employees/ Horrible Management
Business Administration Professor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 9, 2018
Your fellow co workers are just like you, they want to advance, or at least success in what their field is.
Management is terrible.
You are only going to promote if you know management personally or make one BANG of an impression.
The environment is very biased, and childish.
Management is unclear as far as hierarchy goes. Every manager in each division crosses over and acts as your boss and makes changes that could get you in trouble with your original boss.
They are accommodating to sick days and vacation, however when you are actively working there are days they treat you like a door mat throwing tasks/ students/ calls/ meetings/entries at you.
Cons
No lunch breaks sometimes
Was happy there
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salida, CASeptember 23, 2018
Good company to work for . they are good with their work hours and work with you when something happens that need your attention. Always made me feel like a part of something amazing .
Poor advancement
INSTRUCTOR, General Education & Business (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CASeptember 22, 2018
Advancement is based on who you know, not on qualifications for the position. Most positions are given to those that management knows, in lieu of seeking truly qualified individuals.
learning new medical terms
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 19, 2018
I was a working student - at the same time held at 3.9
grade point average. there was nothing hard about this job very easy and became somewhat boring at the end
Pros
learning new terms
Cons
not enough hours
A bit of bad with the good
anonymous (Former Employee) –  anonymousSeptember 17, 2018
SJVC is a great place to be when things are going well. But if there aren't enough students coming through the door the tension can be cut with a knife. The wholesome family-owned private JC that cares branding is at odds with the "butts in the seat" meet your budget or else culture. SJVC may be a big fish in Visalia but not in SoCal. Definitely not when competing with multi-million dollar marketing budget heavy hitters. That said the school has a unique market positioning and a lot to offer its students. The programs are outstanding in quality and most importantly, regionally accredited.
Pros
accreditation, staff, programs, students
Cons
stress culture
See below
Respiratory Therapy Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 31, 2018
I enjoyed working with the students, many of the other instructors were very supportive and helpful. Most of management was very supportive and helpful, one in particular was manipulative, condescending, arrogant and pretentious to students and other staff alike. The faculty lounge was great, and quiet with ample space to complete grading or prepare for lecture. I'd probably still be there if the compensation was appropriate for the amount of education required to teach. I would consider working for the college in the future once again.
Pros
Flexible schedule, most of mangement was pleasant and supportive
Cons
low pay, long hours.
Sjvc
General Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 6, 2018
This was a very unorganized place of work. They do not support their employees or the students. It is a for-profit organization and that is the priority- MONEY

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Joaquin Valley College. Our community is ready to answer.