San Joaquin Valley College Employee Reviews in Hesperia, CA

Management was great
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAJune 25, 2018
I had to relocate because of my child. If my child did not go away to college I would still be working at San Joaquin College. I had a fun time there and learn a lot from my manager.
chill
Student center assistant (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAAugust 21, 2017
easy place to sit and make money while being able to study. everyone is nice and helpful. management was on top of any potential problems before there was an actual problem.
Cultural Positon
Student worker (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAAugust 15, 2017
Working here i was able to be both a student and a worker. I was able to connect with students and teachers on a different level because of this position. I was able to learn and grow in my skill of typing, and teaching others.
Pros
Everything!!
Cons
Short breaks
Poorly Managed
Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAJuly 17, 2017
Poorly managed. Unrealistic expectations for the caseload you are assigned as well as the daily activities you are expected to complete. No support within the positions.
Job placement for students
Career Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAMarch 7, 2017
Worked with students and assisting them finding employment in their field of study. Rewarding position!! It was hard to place the number of students that the company required.
eventful and great educational experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAFebruary 2, 2017
the marketing department plans a lot of events throughout the year that the teens are allowed to attend or work which makes it fun and exciting. As far as the educational experience, the program provides CPR classes, meetings to talk among the teens about the pros and cons. Always working as a team and building as one.
Pros
Team building
Cons
Utilizes a lot of free time.
Love my hours and the people I work with
Pharmacy Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hesperia, CANovember 21, 2016
As a mom, having a schedule that you can come home at noon is the greatest thing ever. Also the management is VERY supportive! I love the people I work with. It makes each day fly bye :)
Potential to be a good employer
Adult Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Fun place to work with the excitement of students in a growing campus, Great new employee training program and great incentive rewards. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay out of the frequent office politics involving some employees and obvious favoritism. The enjoyable part of the job was the steady flow of students visiting my office to refer friends or update me on their progress.
Pros
Fun and exciting campus
Cons
Hard to get personal time off approved.
Very proactive and exceptional teaching
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Awesome experience. They know what they are doing and defiantly knows hands on experience. Very professional and organized
Pros
professional
Cons
short breaks
Graduated Full-Time Student SJVC
Full-Time Student (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAAugust 27, 2015
I enjoyed the hands-on training the most! I learned the basics of all listed on my resume. I would love to advance more in the billing and coding aspects of it all.
Pros
Hands-on Training
Cons
Everywhere requires work experience before job
Excellent place to work.
Pharmacy Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hesperia, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Enjoy working here. Great management team. Flexible schedule.
Great Values
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  Hesperia, CAOctober 28, 2013
Enjoyed working with students one on one. Managaging personal successes. Learned the value of financial aid awareness. Working with minimal management support.
Pros
Managing personal success
Cons
Management support
Had me alter my time sheet to not pay California Meal Penalty
HVAC Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAOctober 12, 2013
SJVC Hesperia Campus is all about the money. They fail to provide raises after the second year, and once when I subbed for three additional classes, and should have received two California Meal Penalties, I was told to "fix" my time card, which was fraudulent. Instructors in my department were allowing students to leave an hour early, watch the Thursday Night Football NFL game on the projector, and not teach the curriculum SLO for the mod, and when I asked for, and received permission to work a half schedule 6 months in advance, I was written up for taking this time off. SJVC is more concerned about Food in the Classroom, Dress Code and Student Attendance then they are about making sure students learn in the classroom what they need to be learning. SJVC employees are indeed lucky if they can make it past the two year mark. I did enjoy the positive attitudes that the students had, and will always wish them the best.
Pros
Positive Students, School Uniforms
Cons
Disingenuous Management, Organizational Priorities
Not a place I would ever recommend to be an employee or student....
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CANovember 25, 2012
San Joaquin Valley College is a great place to work if you enjoy working for a company that does not follow labor laws, will not relieve you for lunch breaks, and the management will break laws and perform illegal acts to try to get employess fired. There was nothing enjoyable about working for SJVC. I cannot imagine that any employee that works for them is happy, they only are working to collect a pay check. Everyday you go to work not knowing if you have a job so it is like working on egg shells each and every day. It is a very stressful work environment. The hardest part of the job is that the company is able to get students to enroll for $30,000+ for an education that will not get them a job they 'guarentee' nor are the units transferable to any university. I felt that I had to lie to students every day about how great the college was when really it was all lies. I am not sure how SJVC stays in business. I would hear the admissions advisors talking about smoking illicit drugs in the breakroom....SJVC does not drug test employees at hiring or at anytime. Therefore, they must encourage illegal drug use and were well aware of these employees drug use. Also, students and faculty had inappropriate relationships that crossed ethical boundaries. I am very surprised that SJVC Hesperia does not have a reputation in the community as of yet because of the extremly inappropriate relationships between faculty and students. Nice to know that I could be a female student and get in great favor with a male instructor and get an A in the class and it was perfectly acceptable. Management was  more... well aware of this and chose to ignore these major campus issues. Most instructors dont even have an education themselves, just a high school diploma/GED. How is it that they can be instructing students for higher education when they are not qualified. Also, many students dont even have a GED or high school diploma themselves which is a requirement to be enrolled in the school yet they still graduate with a 2-year degree.....hmmmm....wonder how that works and if it is even legitimate?!
Overall, there is SO many problems at SJVC Hesperia I would recommend to stay as far away as possible whether looking for future employment or for education.
Pros
you are able to collect a paycheck on time
Cons
there are no benefits to being an employee
Poor Management, no room for advancement.
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAOctober 2, 2012
Poor management team, no support, no room for advancement.