San Joaquin Valley College Employee Reviews in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Good part time job
Defensive Tactics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 12, 2018
Good part time job. Working with young adults is always a gratifying notion. Dealing with multiple student personalities is always a challenge. Watching your students graduate is also a treat.
An excellent place for students and employees alike.
Construction Management Program instructor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CADecember 7, 2017
I enjoyed helping students understand what they were studying and answering any and all questions they would ask.
I learned what it takes to encourage, support and motivate students to do their very best in all subjects.
There was no hardest part of my job as I loved helping students.
The most enjoyable part was looking in their eyes and seeing their "Eureka" moments, as well as seeing them at Graduation with that biggest of smiles lighting up their personality.
Pros
Smiles and seeing their total comprehension in their eyes.
Cons
Seeing them depart after each class.
Ok place to work
Respiratory Therapy (RT) Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 4, 2017
During my time at SJVC, my immediate supervisor and co-workers are amazing and supportive. They guided me to be an effective educator. The environment was pleasant and it was fun to work everyday.
Pros
Co-workers, students
Cons
For-profit school even though it is registered as a non-profit company
Wonderful Caring Employees and Management
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJuly 4, 2016
Management allowed me to create a library for the Rancho Cucamonga location from scratch. A father of one of the Dental Hygiene students donated his entire collection of decades of bound dental journals which allowed us to open this new location with a new library with decades of bound journals in dentistry.

The same year, we opened a program in Respiratory Therapy with a fantastic faculty that were adored by the students. I still have an illustrated cup with drawings of the professors that was made by a student.

The library director at the home campus in Visalia, CA called me one day and asked my birthday because she said, when she talked to me she felt like she was talking to herself. I told her I didn't believe in things like horoscopes, but my birthday was February 25 and I asked when hers was. She replied, "February 26."

The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Pros
Coworkers and management
Cons
leaving the physical campus for online
Job Description
Federal Work Study Skills Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAFebruary 4, 2015
I would be responsible for logging in all new students and assisting them in the entrance exam. I would also monitor the computer lab and assist students. Also I would have private tutoring sessions with students to help with homework or projects.
I enjoyed working in a well diversed environment. I enjoyed the day to day challenges of assisting new students where to park their vehichles.
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 3, 2014
A typical day at work starts with patroling the college perimeter, student, staff and faculty parking lots. Patroling all the campus buildings, assist in planning upcoming events, writing reports and breifing other security officers.While working in a diversified environment, one of the main points that I learned and appreciated is that you can not take good or bad interaction with students, staff or faculty personal. The management team was very focused and committed in keeping their promise to the students; education and job placement. My co-workers and I worked side by side on a daily basis to accomplish core values and goals for the students. I had a good report with my co-workers. Because I like for tasks to be done right the first time, the hardest part of the job is delegating. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing the students get their education and jobs placed in their fields of expertse.
Pros
Open campus. I was allowed to make necessary changes to security guards performance and parking
Cons
no advancement
Volunteer  (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJune 25, 2013
I volunteer this is not a paid position. great experience wokring with present and former law enforcement officers.
Pros
fun
Cons
fun
Terrible place to work
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rancho CucamongaMay 18, 2013
(Former Admissions Advisor) the pay is good but the split shift for the recruitment team makes no sense. Poor management, I worked at other for profit colleges and by far this is the worst. Management do not care and the training is a joke! Very high turnover because the so called family business owners are profit driven and are ruthless and will fire you if you cannot meet the unrealistic goals. The co-workers and students are the only bright spot at this college. If you want job security then this job is not for you. Terrible place to work!!! They say they are downsizing is the reason for laying you off but they are opening new campuses. They fire people and say California is a at will state and they use this as fear tactic. They fire you with no notice thinking the next person will be a superstar for production. There are no superstars in this industry because the leads are terrible and you can only hope they change their business model. I am not a bitter person, so please take my advice stay away from this school!!!
Pros
Great co-workers, great students
Cons
Poor management, Poor retention, hostile working environment, no real training, and no upward mobility.
Open Door Policy
Learning Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAOctober 7, 2012
* Assisted students on a regular basis
* How to handle processing data more diligently
* Self-monitored
* Great people
* Being able to assist every student that had a problem
* Working with the students
Pros
pay, benefits, 1 hour lunch (at least for my department)
i love working here.
Federal Work Study Librarian (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 18, 2012
i manage the library from the hours of 5 pm to 10 pm. my boss and the rest of the faculty here is amazing. my co workers are really friendly and i can relate to them because they are all in college trying to succeed aswell. there isnt anything hard about my job just the fact that i get home at about 11:00. i love the peace and quiet.
Terrible place to work. So unusual as the Spector of termination is used to attempt to motivate.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rancho CucamongaAugust 18, 2012
This is by far, the worst job that I ever had! I was a divisional Director there and I or each team member is ├╝ber scripted and each utterance micromanaged. I have been to their inside management meetings and although owned by a family, they are not family oriented. Once, the Corporate(btw, they are distant, disconnected and ruthless and do NOT like to be called "corporate") Vice Prez told a group of mature managers, " there are two ways to manage by carrot or crop, I'm not much the carrot type ' I worked 54 hours a week and produced amazing results. I was fired caught in the crosshairs of a schoolyard brawl between departments. To this day, my ex-boss, who was very nice with a compassionate heart, marvels at the shenanigans at CORPORATE. Never have a seen a company that operates out of such fear! Beyond that, if you are rating a school by placement rates, how many people find work after graduating, this school rates very low. Most proprietary schools have better placement rates. Their Medical Assisstant program starts people at minimum wage after spending 30k on a two year degree. You do not need this degree to get a M.A. Job, yet this remains their flagship program! It is not about the student a SJVC! I promise you, here are the two main objectives, : bodies in seats and cover our tracks! I regret my time spent there and hope that the Gov't Office of Accountability, whom regulate much of this, sanction them, sue them, and shut them down!
Pros
pay is good for directors
Cons
people are expendable and everybody, and there are several, that i talk to have zero job security and tenure does not exist!