San Joaquin Valley College Employee Reviews in Visalia, CA

Mediocre place to work
Adjunct Online Instructor/Course Developer (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CA 93291March 23, 2019
As an instructor for SJVC, I loved the students and my immediate supervisor, but administration changed so often, and eventually the visionary in charge envisioned me out of wanting to work for SJVC.
Pros
Wonderful students and peers
Cons
Low pay and micromanaged
Great employees/ Horrible Management
Business Administration Professor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 9, 2018
Your fellow co workers are just like you, they want to advance, or at least success in what their field is.
Management is terrible.
You are only going to promote if you know management personally or make one BANG of an impression.
The environment is very biased, and childish.
Management is unclear as far as hierarchy goes. Every manager in each division crosses over and acts as your boss and makes changes that could get you in trouble with your original boss.
They are accommodating to sick days and vacation, however when you are actively working there are days they treat you like a door mat throwing tasks/ students/ calls/ meetings/entries at you.
Cons
No lunch breaks sometimes
Poor advancement
INSTRUCTOR, General Education & Business (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CASeptember 22, 2018
Advancement is based on who you know, not on qualifications for the position. Most positions are given to those that management knows, in lieu of seeking truly qualified individuals.
Productive workplace
Student Services Secretary (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 15, 2018
I learned a lot and was able to advance and move up quickly. My supervisor let me move around and learn multiple departments. After my 90 day evaluation my work was acknowledged and I was able to have more freedom with my job.
Pros
Paid lunches every 5th week
Cons
Healthcare
Not the place to be.
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAMay 23, 2018
San Joaquin Valley College isn’t even a productive learning environment and provide more a disservice to the hopeful students spending exorbitant amounts for an education. The communities these campuses are in would be better served by public and government funded higher educational facilities. Even through they say students first, the students are dead last. The poor management and lack of education and experience of the staff make it difficult for anyone who is career minded to succeed. If you are the sole provider for your family and depend on your income to survive please do yourself a favor and apply elsewhere.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Everything else
Disappointing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Management is not concern with the students. Everything is personal and the manage the campus by intimidation. The overall mood is very depressing. The only enjoyable part of working there would be changing lives of the students for the better.
Poor management
Medical Assisting Instructor (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Bad experiences all the way around... Should have never applied with this place. Seems like they get rid of the good employees and keep the bad ones with no people skills what so ever
A good stepping off place
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CADecember 5, 2017
Corporate culture rules. You are not special or a valued asset. Salaries are not set nor is it allowable to discuss them. Raises are a maximum of three percent - if you can meet the very high standards that are purely subjective.
Pros
Working with eager students and genuine teachers that care
Cons
Corporate Culture
Private College
LVN Clinical Instructor San Joaquin Valley College (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CASeptember 6, 2017
On-site clinical mentoring of LVN students. Assisted with skills lab including IV therapy. Assisted with professional development of students on campus as needed. Critiqued care plans and other student assignments. Lead post-clinical conferences.
Wonderful Place to Work
eLearning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAJuly 6, 2017
Although we have 5 week cycles and they go by quickly, it is a joy to work at this place. This school really cares, not only for the employees, but for the students' success.
Summary
General Education and Business Instructor (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAJanuary 4, 2017
My typical work day begins with prepping the classroom, lecture, activities, and facilitating with students. I have day to day interaction with students as well as one on one when needed. There is quite a bit of prep work before and after each course taught.
Pros
Enjoy my relationship with students
Cons
Difficult schedules at times
Awesome Place To work
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 26, 2016
I have been with the Online Campus since January of 2016 and I have enjoyed the whole process, staff, and students. They remember you on special occasions by sending you video messages and little gifts in the mail. They are consistent and reliable.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
None at this time
Excellent place to work. Flexible schedules, great teamwork
Executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAAugust 21, 2016
Zero micro managing. Love the autonomy. It's a very family oriented place to work and pays well. Perks include free ballgames, concerts and other sporting events.
Pros
Perks (ballgames/concerts) and schedule flexibility
Cons
Upper management communication could be better
Love!
Online Faculty and Course Developer (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAJuly 1, 2016
I love every moment of working here. The co-workers, students, and supervisors are the greatest people ever. The most enjoyable part of the job is the students!
Cons
interesting, and short staffed with qualified instructors
Supervisor Barry Westling (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CA 93291March 31, 2016
1.respiratory program lacking in management
2.Program lacking in qualified instructors.
3. Culture was stressing
4. Not sure who would call in, and others had to cover
5. my coworkers who were qualified left,
Cool place to work
Online Rep (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJuly 28, 2015
This is a great place to work and gain a lot of knowledge about education. The work environment is very laid back as long as you do your job. Management really take your concerns into consideration.
Pros
Free lunches, Anaheim angle games, Gift Cards
Very nice place to work
Part Time Instructor (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAFebruary 2, 2015
This is a very good job. I enjoy teaching the classes because of the way that they are fast paced. New classes every five weeks.
Pros
The classes are well structured.
Cons
Only able to work part -time.
Productive, fun, positive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 21, 2014
I went to school for business administration at San Joaquin Valley College and during my time I volunteered for activities. It was a great experience to get involved with all the different programs students were going for and to help the community be a better place.
Pros
Experience
Enjoyable place to work
Health Care Administration Instructor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 7, 2014
I really enjoyed this job, it was always changing! The other instructors were a joy to work with and were always willing to help if necessary. The hardest part of the job, was the fact that I was part-time, so I was never guaranteed a class schedule. However there were always an opportunity to substitute for other instructors. I also enjoyed the variety of students that came to my classes, they were always fun and made the time fly! If I had an opportunity to go back to teach I would.
Pros
Time schedules were nice.
Cons
Part-time, never guaranteed a class schedule
Problem solver and great interpersonal skills.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CaliforniaDecember 4, 2013
I am a self-starter and motivated by working in each position as if it was my business so that I care about each detail and the overall goals and focus of the business I work in. In addition I bring great communication skills whether written or spoken and listening.
I am known to be honest with a great work ethic and integrity and that is how I work and interact with all in the workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Joaquin Valley College. Our community is ready to answer.