San Joaquin Valley College Employee Reviews

It's all about who you know!!
Career services manager (Former Employee) –  Visalia caDecember 11, 2012
Even if your numbers are higher then your co-workers they will let you go and give you a dumb excuse!! Every week they fire people it's a horrible environment to work for! Sad to go to work in fear hoping you don't get fired!! There's been so many different managers none last!!
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad turnovers!!!
Not a place I would ever recommend to be an employee or student....
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CANovember 25, 2012
San Joaquin Valley College is a great place to work if you enjoy working for a company that does not follow labor laws, will not relieve you for lunch breaks, and the management will break laws and perform illegal acts to try to get employess fired. There was nothing enjoyable about working for SJVC. I cannot imagine that any employee that works for them is happy, they only are working to collect a pay check. Everyday you go to work not knowing if you have a job so it is like working on egg shells each and every day. It is a very stressful work environment. The hardest part of the job is that the company is able to get students to enroll for $30,000+ for an education that will not get them a job they 'guarentee' nor are the units transferable to any university. I felt that I had to lie to students every day about how great the college was when really it was all lies. I am not sure how SJVC stays in business. I would hear the admissions advisors talking about smoking illicit drugs in the breakroom....SJVC does not drug test employees at hiring or at anytime. Therefore, they must encourage illegal drug use and were well aware of these employees drug use. Also, students and faculty had inappropriate relationships that crossed ethical boundaries. I am very surprised that SJVC Hesperia does not have a reputation in the community as of yet because of the extremly inappropriate relationships between faculty and students. Nice to know that I could be a female student and get in great favor with a male instructor and get an A in the class and it was perfectly acceptable. Management was  more... well aware of this and chose to ignore these major campus issues. Most instructors dont even have an education themselves, just a high school diploma/GED. How is it that they can be instructing students for higher education when they are not qualified. Also, many students dont even have a GED or high school diploma themselves which is a requirement to be enrolled in the school yet they still graduate with a 2-year degree.....hmmmm....wonder how that works and if it is even legitimate?!
Overall, there is SO many problems at SJVC Hesperia I would recommend to stay as far away as possible whether looking for future employment or for education.
Pros
you are able to collect a paycheck on time
Cons
there are no benefits to being an employee
Open Door Policy
Learning Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAOctober 7, 2012
* Assisted students on a regular basis
* How to handle processing data more diligently
* Self-monitored
* Great people
* Being able to assist every student that had a problem
* Working with the students
Pros
pay, benefits, 1 hour lunch (at least for my department)
Poor Management, no room for advancement.
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAOctober 2, 2012
Poor management team, no support, no room for advancement.
Over all good place for students and employees to be for school and work
HVACR Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 22, 2012
I enjoyed working here, they are very student care driven.
Good work environment. Co-workers are good to work with.
Hardest part of job was aquiring equipment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was in the classroom teaching my students.
i love working here.
Federal Work Study Librarian (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 18, 2012
i manage the library from the hours of 5 pm to 10 pm. my boss and the rest of the faculty here is amazing. my co workers are really friendly and i can relate to them because they are all in college trying to succeed aswell. there isnt anything hard about my job just the fact that i get home at about 11:00. i love the peace and quiet.
Great quality students!
Financial Aid Officer/First Contact (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 7, 2012
Employed for 6 years and saw many changes! Some for the best others not so much.
Terrible place to work. So unusual as the Spector of termination is used to attempt to motivate.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rancho CucamongaAugust 18, 2012
This is by far, the worst job that I ever had! I was a divisional Director there and I or each team member is ├╝ber scripted and each utterance micromanaged. I have been to their inside management meetings and although owned by a family, they are not family oriented. Once, the Corporate(btw, they are distant, disconnected and ruthless and do NOT like to be called "corporate") Vice Prez told a group of mature managers, " there are two ways to manage by carrot or crop, I'm not much the carrot type ' I worked 54 hours a week and produced amazing results. I was fired caught in the crosshairs of a schoolyard brawl between departments. To this day, my ex-boss, who was very nice with a compassionate heart, marvels at the shenanigans at CORPORATE. Never have a seen a company that operates out of such fear! Beyond that, if you are rating a school by placement rates, how many people find work after graduating, this school rates very low. Most proprietary schools have better placement rates. Their Medical Assisstant program starts people at minimum wage after spending 30k on a two year degree. You do not need this degree to get a M.A. Job, yet this remains their flagship program! It is not about the student a SJVC! I promise you, here are the two main objectives, : bodies in seats and cover our tracks! I regret my time spent there and hope that the Gov't Office of Accountability, whom regulate much of this, sanction them, sue them, and shut them down!
Pros
pay is good for directors
Cons
people are expendable and everybody, and there are several, that i talk to have zero job security and tenure does not exist!
Disappointing
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAAugust 17, 2012
If you can make it 2 years at this company you will have completed what seems to be impossible. Company States Downsize, yet they open two new colleges. Focus is not based on Students or customer service, it is based on numbers.
Pros
great pay
Cons
low morale, super low retension
Worst place to work.
Career Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Online - VisaliaJuly 31, 2012
I received 2 four hour training secessions on the computer and than told now you do it. No instruction from my supervisor. I learn more from my co-workers then anyone else. This is the last place you would want to work at.
Productive and fun place to work
Career Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 24, 2012
Really enjoyed working with the Career Services Team at SJVC, they were the top team across the company.
Pros
getting graduates employed
Cons
not making 85%
Tutoring
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 9, 2012
I would tutor people with their Math and English. I would just walk around and help one to one with students. I would also help decorate the office.
Great experience teaching.
Lead Therapeutic Massage Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 1, 2012
I taught classes of 5 to 15 students 4 days a week. It was a very fun experience. I created lesson plans for each class as it was a new program. I invented fun and interesting ways to get the learning material across to my students. I planned field trips and special events to help my students get more hands on experience. I learned new and vaulable skills through teacher training seminars to help with classroom management. I think the hardest part of the job was maybe fitting so much material into a week class. The most enjoyable part was helping prepare students for a rewarding career and future that will help them succeed.
SJVC is one big happy family.
First Contact (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CaApril 23, 2012
Wheather you are a student there or part of the faculty, you are part of the SJVC family. They do their best to include everyone in upcoming school events, and respect each and every individual that comes onto campus. I learned a lot from all of the staff there, they really take their time to listen to their employees and train the properly.
Pros
a lot of room for advancement, respectful environment.
challenging, encourages professional growth
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAMarch 31, 2012
I enjoy teaching at San Joaquin Valley College. I love the variety of experiences.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Joaquin Valley College. Our community is ready to answer.