San Joaquin Valley College Employee Reviews

Maybe not the best employment choice
Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAApril 10, 2016
Low pay for job duties, minimal on the job training from manager. The hardest part was learning how they get their high graduation rates and having to assist students/graduates in interviewing and landing jobs they were not qualified for because they did not have a proper education.
interesting, and short staffed with qualified instructors
Supervisor Barry Westling (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CA 93291March 31, 2016
1.respiratory program lacking in management
2.Program lacking in qualified instructors.
3. Culture was stressing
4. Not sure who would call in, and others had to cover
5. my coworkers who were qualified left,
Great company but needs clear direction and organization.
Online Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMarch 28, 2016
People are enjoyable and working with students brought fulfillment. The management needs to have clear direction of the organization and continue to develop processes and procedures that are clear and defined.
Loved My Students
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 18, 2016
SJVC provided me with an excellent experience of professional development, awesome dedicated coworkers, and an awesome group of diverse students who wanted to learn!
Management was a little to conservative and didn't take the real time to learn what "We" as instructors really did in the classroom! Credit was never given when should of. Fortunately, my students learning and advancements acknowledged that I taught them well!
Hardest part of the job: having to work with a young manager with no people skills.
Most enjoyable part of the job: my students faces when they had that "aha" moment! Best thing ever!
Potential to be a good employer
Adult Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Fun place to work with the excitement of students in a growing campus, Great new employee training program and great incentive rewards. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay out of the frequent office politics involving some employees and obvious favoritism. The enjoyable part of the job was the steady flow of students visiting my office to refer friends or update me on their progress.
Pros
Fun and exciting campus
Cons
Hard to get personal time off approved.
Very proactive and exceptional teaching
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Awesome experience. They know what they are doing and defiantly knows hands on experience. Very professional and organized
Pros
professional
Cons
short breaks
Sjvc
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 11, 2015
Employees are great to work with. However the work load is extremely demanding for the pay rate. I would not recommend this Location unless you are ready to work more than what you are expecting.
Graduated Full-Time Student SJVC
Full-Time Student (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAAugust 27, 2015
I enjoyed the hands-on training the most! I learned the basics of all listed on my resume. I would love to advance more in the billing and coding aspects of it all.
Pros
Hands-on Training
Cons
Everywhere requires work experience before job
San Joaquin Valley College
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 24, 2015
This company is a great company. I have learned and gained many successful skills for my future career and it will only be a great stepping stone for myself.
39% employee turnover and lack of management leadership
Admissions (Former Employee) –  OntarioAugust 18, 2015
Lack of leadership has led the organization to experience major lay offs of teachers, staff and admissions team. The management does not provide teachers, staff and admissions team with the proper tools to ensure student success. The hardest part of the work is to follow antiquated business strategies and the clear lack of innovation. The marketing department does a poor job at advertising and promoting the school including social media. Overall is a good this is a good work environment only if the managers are your friends, as nepotism is highly implemented. Students are considered "butts in seats" and meeting budget is the most important thing and not the quality of the curriculum. The most enjoyable part of the job is the students and some staff.
Cool place to work
Online Rep (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJuly 28, 2015
This is a great place to work and gain a lot of knowledge about education. The work environment is very laid back as long as you do your job. Management really take your concerns into consideration.
Pros
Free lunches, Anaheim angle games, Gift Cards
Demanding accelerated programs
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Salida, CAJuly 7, 2015
It's been a challenging but very supporting place to work. Being a massage therapist/instructor is always a battle to be taken seriously. Since I got hired there, the other instructors and I had to prove our professionalism as a viable "Health Program". Eventually we earned the respect due to the knowledge content required to be a California Certified Massage Therapist. My co-workers are the best kind of people. We support each other when we don't always get positive feedback from management. We love what we teach and deal with the negativities of living up to "the data". The most enjoyable part is I get to teach what I'm passionate about. Sharing the incredible aspects of massage to a new generation, and watching the students "get it" to share this gift with others. The hardest part has been the constant changes in the programs we use to record all the learning outcomes and grades.
Pros
My co-workers, students, division manager and support personnel
Cons
Very expensive health care
Terrific place to work
Instructor (Current Employee) –  CAJuly 5, 2015
Staff all gets along. Everyone is on the same team, and everyone is there to help the students learn the material an send them out in the field ready, confident, and prepared
Making a difference
Lead Medical Assisting & Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fresno, californiaJune 10, 2015
I love the students here. I truly make a difference and the students appreciate it. Small school big impact in the community.
Great place, good structure
Pharmacy Technician Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fresno caMay 28, 2015
The students are wonderful. The program is very up to date.
the students get a realistic overview or training for their future
Rewarding in a big way!
CMA Instructor (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 25, 2015
A typical day begins with organizing my classroom and being prepared for students, greeting students, and starting the lesson I have prepared. Many classes are labs and I supervise students as they practice various medical skills.
I have learned how to prepare a lesson plan, how to use the computer program for our facility, and various methods of managing a classroom.
Management was helpful and knowledgeable.
My co-workers came form varied backgrounds. All had the common goal of educating our particular population.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours lesson planning and grading.
The most enjoyable part was the "ah ha" moment when the light when on in the student's eyes.
Pros
Working with great people.
Cons
Lots ofhours of prep time.
High stress and low pay. Was not happy working there let alone helping students finance going there
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 24, 2015
Very low job satisfaction. Poor management and training. Organization and student account management is far outdated and causes delinquent data reporting
Pros
loved working with students
Simple Truth
Instructor (Former Employee) –  FresnoMarch 13, 2015
The truth about working at SJVC is simple enough to determine. Look at the want ads, they are always hiring for the same jobs over and over again. You will be hard pressed to fin a teacher or a program director that has more than 2-3 years. If it is such a great and wonderful place to work, then the question would be, why are they losing so many employees? Do not let them tell you its because they are expanding the school, the attendance at this school is in a free fall, the family has exploited the workers, fired them with little cause, made outrageous demands of them for Walmart like pay. Teachers with master degrees command about 22.00 dollars an hour. If you are lucky enough to get full time (which is actually worst) they make you sign a paper that in the event you discover or invent something while working for them (they own it) so make sure you don't do any side work to better yourself. I worked for them in hopes of adding to my resume, but it was a mistake, after a year and half, I realized it hurt my resume, and i have spent the last year cleaning it up. If your hope is to work at a good honest community college someday, be warned (WORKING HERE WILL HURT NOT HELP YOUR CHANCES) they fired about one employee a month (or more) while a I worked at Fresno, Ca. So stay clear, get a good job like shelf stacking at Walmart, a good work history is better than having this monkey on your back. They are concerned about the Kids (biggest lie at the campus) they are concerned about the kids money (period). If the kid missis a payment (out) if not enough students for the class (self  more... study). Money is first all else is unimportant. The Fresno campus last Program Director for CJ, was fired from his previous two jobs, harassed the female students, didn't even have an AA degree (oh he was working on an SJVC AA degree online) he had taught there years before with a paper only fake degree. So be warned, do not work for this college, stay away, do something else!  less
Pros
Good people work there
Cons
Pay, Loyalty, Turnover, and Lies
Respiratory Care Faculty and Students treated like Children
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rancho CordovaMarch 12, 2015
As an instructor, core management treated faculty like children, even yelling at instructors. Concern was not for improving the quality of teaching skills. Core management team backed each other up instead of hearing the complaints of students. A few of the instructors actually had excellent respiratory care experience; however, most are recently out of school or have little to no clinical (hospital experience) yet they are teaching advanced mechanical ventilation and other basic respiratory therapy concepts.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of support by the management team. The most enjoyable part was inspiring adult learners to excel.
Pros
Interaction with the students
Cons
Lack of true management support
A productive and fun place with room for advancement
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAFebruary 24, 2015
This job was the term of my schooling. By working the Student Center I learned how to work a point of sale system, I learned how to check inventory, cashiering, stock, customer service, and marketing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Joaquin Valley College. Our community is ready to answer.