San Jose State University Employee Reviews

Environment is not healthy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 17, 2018
In the maintenance department, you learn quickly who will spread your business around the yard. There is a lot of backstabbing. The people do know their trades, and most are very good. You just don't know who to trust. The pay is lower than other government agencies, but once you're in, it is difficult to be fired. The benefits are good. The pace is much slower than non government work.
Pros
Benefits, vacation and sick days.
Cons
Nonchalant work environment
student led
Account Lead - Guglielmo Winery (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 5, 2019
its as student led agency where most companies reap the students benefits for free i hate the fac tthat you're making me do this wtf indeed i ken not even
Quiet and calm work place
Stack Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 18, 2018
Working at MLK Library at San Jose State University is a treat for me since its so close to where I live and is right on my campus. Its a very calm work place environment since it is in a library. Depending on who you're working for it can be beneficial or it can suck. Overall its a great place to work if your are an SJSU student.
Pros
Good Breaks
Cons
No benefits
Fun Environment to work in
Sport Club Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 29, 2018
Surrounded by young minds on this college campus, the energy is great for a workplace environment.
SJSU has decent benefits for its full time employees
Sjsu
Chief Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 22, 2017
San Jose State has over 3,000 employees across many diverse departments. My experience has been in one of these departments only so it does not represent all of the departments. I have had great experiences at SJSU, but it has not been all glamorous. If you are looking for a steady career with great benefits, this is a great place to work. Since it is a governmental facility and many people have a say in the way things are done, it can be frustrating at times to get projects moving. This does not make it a bad place to work though, there are some great people doing great things that make things rewarding.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Slow pace
good benefits & variety of courses
lecturer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 11, 2018
best part of job was subject matter I taught and medical benefits. Pay too low, and university doesn't seem to put enough money to faculty; they care more about appearing politically correct. Frequently worried whether or not a course would fill; tired of competing for courses to teach.
Great Place to experience diversity and culture
Director of Operations- Women's Basketball Div (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 16, 2019
no work life balance. devotion is solely to the team and their success or lack there of. great way to travel and gain Division 1 coaching and operations experience
Very inspiring
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 7, 2018
I have worked here for a semester, and I feel incredibly proud to be assisting students with their academic and life skills. The team has such a positive energy, it inspires me to work harder.
Pros
Personal development
Cons
Specific class times
Productive and rewarding working with students
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 18, 2018
The Educational Opportunity Program at San Jose State University is a place where students have the opportunity to learn administrative work, team building, event planning, program coordination, student-mentoring, and most importantly, guiding students to a specific resource that would make their student experience easier.
Pros
Positive and motivating environment
Cons
Little hours and low salary
Good for what it was
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 2, 2018
I was a lowly student employee. I did not receive any paid time off or benefits. The pay was low, as to be expected. It was not a living wage nor is it meant to be.
Lovely house and warm, supportive people
House Director (Current Employee) –  408 South 8th Street San Jose, CA 95112January 23, 2018
Nice environment in which to work. Great, helpful alums plus polite and fun students. Low pay, few benefits. Management company does not advise employees when there are openings throughout the system.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Pay and benefits are not competitive
Fun working environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 1, 2019
I worked as student assistant for a professor two or three times a week. Even though, my major job regards student's docs, class exams and projects, I benefited from my professor's profound knowledge about corporation tax returns. Also, I learned how to be responsible for confidential documents and gained the trust from my supervisor.
Pros
This was an opportunity for learning about taxation.
Cons
Part-time job!
Extremely fun place to work and socialize
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 4, 2018
SJSU is a great university with many perks and benefits that are offered to students. Working while taking college courses can increase social bonds and lead to a better career in the future,
Pros
Great interaction with others
Cons
Conflict of ideas will be solved by the head of the team
Great workplace for students who are already on campus
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 19, 2018
I was able to help peers going through academic probation through their semester, with the goal to get them out of probation. Goal setting and accountability checks were done every time we met.
Pros
On campus, experience in counseling.
Cons
Management I worked under was not very receptive to suggestions
Working at own pace; allows for individual growth
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Clark HallJune 25, 2018
I worked as a writing tutor for 3 semesters. In my final semester, I worked as a graduate assistant to the online tutoring pilot program. My duties involved creating schedules, testing different video conferencing platforms, monitoring tests run by current writing tutors, compiling data, sending out announcements to pilot program participants, and creating training materials. This experience gave me insight into office work culture, and developed my abilities to multitask.
Excellent place to learn English
Full Time Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 4, 2019
International Gateways is a great way to learn English in a rapid well-paced style with very experienced English teachers. International Gateways also offers advising services for students interested in pursuing undergraduate and graduate studies in the U.S
Lack of job security, delayed payroll
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 4, 2017
Generally, the coworkers were friendly, depending on the department you work, and if lucky, you might receive a load as high as 7 classes per semester as an adjunct of associate professor. However, you have to work 3 consecutive semesters to receive any benefits beyond a mandated retired Savings Plus retirement program. If you work summers, there is a high probability that the departmental secretary will not submit the vouchers needed to ensure that you will get paid by the college because they will suddenly go on vacation of sudden sick leave and no one in Human Resources or the Union will have any idea that you are working. To make a long story short, CSU San Jose has a major problem with communication between departments, I learnt that they will not be available in any department when it comes to issues important to their employees. The culture is "you are on your own" and even after great evaluations, expect to have 2 semesters of work and be cut loose and expected to apply later on for more work. This habit is to restrict paying benefits, and the hardest part of the job ensuring that you get paid when promised and securing future work.
Pros
Positivie student participation and cooperation
Cons
Bureaucratic structure
Best Organization to Work For as a Student
Multimedia Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 29, 2018
Flexible hours, kind and caring, and constructive management. Who could ask for more? This is the best place to work as a student while trying to managing schoolwork and extracurricular activities.
Doing research in the laboratory
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 15, 2018
Schedule changes depending on the priority. Knocking out putative genes for siderophore synthesis in our organism is usually the foundation of the lab. Once the mutant is made and saved down, we run growth curves and promoter fusions to assess the importance of the gene in the presence of methanol and Lanthanides. Other times, lab maintenance and media making is required.
Pros
flexible, academically rewarding
Cons
long shifts, lots of things can potentially go wrong
Friendly but needs improvement
Admissions Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 3, 2017
The people are nice and friendly but it can be stressful under certain and limited resources and requirements. It is laid back but doesn't seem to have room for advancement.
Pros
Talk with professors
Cons
Low compensation