San Juan College Employee Reviews

College Work Study
Work Study Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMarch 4, 2019
Relaxed hours that I chose. Able to study and do some organization in the school music department. Hardest part of the job was making sure that I had some work to do around the department. Enjoyable was music that I heard while working around the college.
Pros
Music. Choir puppies. Orchestra. Theater.
Cons
Departments needed minimal help. Ran out of stuff to do.
Insulting
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMFebruary 5, 2019
I never got an interview, instead i received a letter stating they were going in a different direction. They then sent mean invitation to attend a job skills class to have them help me find a job. I found that insulting. Not only did i receive BOTH my degrees from them, they then denied me a job and offer to teach me how to be more desirable to jobs.
Bullies Abound
professional staff (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 13, 2019
You might notice that there is a wide difference between those who rate SJC as a good place to work and those who do not. I attribute the difference to this: If an employee is a member of the support staff, a student worker, or in an entry level position, it is more likely (s)he will rate the college highly. This is because people in those positions often work in a task-oriented, collaborative environment, protected from upper management by their supervisors. However, their supervisors--- the professional staff-- have to deal with upper management-- administrators-- on a regular basis. The experience of professional staff is therefore much less pleasant. The standard mode of operation for administrators is to make professional staff fear for their jobs through subtle intimidation and overt bullying, or by pitting employees (including faculty members) against one another. The human resources department was supposed to handle such problems, but because it reported directly to college administration, the department was unable to overcome, and indeed subject to, this bullying culture. The only bulwarks against destruction of one's self-esteem and willingness to continue lay in positive connections with other staff, and in reminding one's self that the greater good of helping students was worth the pain. Working at San Juan College was by far the worst experience of my professional life. I stayed as long as I did only because my family's support depended on me, and escaped as soon as I could.
Pros
benefits, colleagues, beauty of campus, service to students, quality of faculty
Cons
so many things....
Great Place to Work and Gain office experience
STUDENT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 11, 2019
Whilw working at San Juan College - Community Learning Center, the work load was moderate, the staff were always helpful to the student employees and especially costumers, the manager was excellent, and the environment was welcoming and fun. The manager was always understanding and flexible with our class schedule. One thing I enjoyed most about the job was interacting and helping the senior students find classes they like and helping them register.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Only being allowed 20 hours a week.
Fun work place
Shipping and receiving, mailroom clerk, grounds (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMDecember 18, 2018
It was a fun experience because you can work and go to school at the time. The people and the students were really great all the time and many opportunities to advance.
Pros
Friendly environment
Great colleagues
Adjunct Sociology, Special Education Professor (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMDecember 7, 2018
There was a recent shake-up based on rules by the Higher Learning Commission.
Many passionate instructors had to leave the subject that they had taught for years based solely on what their Masters' degree major was.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
adjunct pay
Productive and fun work environment
Web Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMOctober 25, 2018
Maintained the public facing San Juan College web site and the internal MySJC portal. Web services is responsible for updating San Juan College web pages, setting website priorities, managing website development resources, overseeing Content Managers in maintaining institutional web pages, ensuring a consistent look and feel throughout the website and granting access to the web management tools.
Pros
Great atmosphere to work in
Cons
Not enough hours and pay not greatest
Great fist job
Lead fitness aid (Current Employee) –  HHPCJune 8, 2018
Great first job for a part time job, cant work more that 29 hours a week but management is great an people who work here are great. Easy job and only 4 or 5 hour shifts a day.
A wonderful place to grow professionally
Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMApril 24, 2018
A very professional atmosphere. I love working there and seeing how much they care for students and their families. In a place where employment is scarce, the fact I got to work there and help others really impacted my drive and dedication.
Great Place to Work and study
Adjunct faculty Instructor Cosmetology Program (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMMarch 21, 2018
San Juan College provides all tools to success. They respect your culture,values and opinion. Working and studying at San Juan College I have found encouragement, joy and everyday is a good day!
Pros
Awesome place to work and study, opportunities, great environment
Cons
no cons
Very Helpful, Productive and Educational
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 9, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning how much thought and organization went into the library. The employees were very helpful and always had a smile on their face. The supervisors were awesome and understanding.
Pros
Employees, Books, smiles
Cons
Locating lost books
Easy to do for a College Student
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NM 87402January 8, 2018
This is an easy job and fun. You can be relaxed and do your homework at the same time. You help a lot of students when they need the help. Management is very good and helpful.
Pros
Fresh faces, hours work with college
Cons
Advancement, Pay
work study job.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMNovember 2, 2017
Good employment for full-time college student, who needs to do homework while at work. Very descent pay for the amount of work required. first place, i got paid to drive a golf cart around and get paid for it.
Pros
Got to finish homework.
Cons
Made me extremely lazy.
Overall Fine Place To Work
RETENTION OFFICE SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMOctober 11, 2017
It's a good place to work if you are a student needed a side job for some extra cash. My personal experience may not be the same in every department however.
Child & development
Instructional Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMSeptember 22, 2017
I worked as an associate teacher in the infant and toddler classrooms. The staff are very caring and very attentive to the needs and concerns of the child and the family.
Pros
Caring staff
Cons
Hired new manager
Hostile work environment
Custodian ISSA Certified (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMSeptember 19, 2017
I never been so terrified to report to work. Management constantly screamed, used profanity and even threatened. The job itself was not difficult, I actually enjoyed the work but I was unable to continue working there due to the extremely hostile management. There is no positive feedback, management was always negative. They treated us like little children and we were not allowed to be seen in public areas and we were unable to leave for lunch. I lasted almost for 4 years because of my loyalty and dedication but when they finally threatened me I had no choice but to put my 2 weeks in.
I have even reported this treatment of custodians to their HR department and they would do nothing about it which proved unto me that they accept this behavior.
Pros
Vacation hours
Cons
Hostile treatment
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMSeptember 15, 2017
I loved my job there. There were a ton of benefits. The only problem was the director of my department was terrible. She became very angry when I got pregnant and tried to push me out of my job.
Productive, Fast Paced, Fun.
Work Study Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMSeptember 12, 2017
Amazing place to work, Management was present and caring, Teachers were friendly & intelligent, overall I enjoyed my time at San Juan College. Every inch of the school and offices were clean and organized.
Pros
Help is easily accessible
Cons
No cons
enjoyable
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMAugust 6, 2017
adjunct faculty so worked part time. great staff and working environment. Enjoyed the different pace and the learning atmosphere, and the positive environment
positive environment
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJuly 5, 2017
From student to adjunct faculty - San Juan College was one of the best decisions I ever made. Everyone was friendly and encouraging. There's something for everyone as I still take classes today!