San Juan Unified School District Employee Reviews

Job security but low pay.
Project Planner/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 9, 2018
Unfortunately, the pay is not commensurate with what's required for the job. We juggle millions of dollars worth of projects, but we're paid less than the contractor's lowest seniority laborer at prevailing wage. This will continue being a problem for the District in the retention of good employees.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Pay
Outstanding Place to Work
Administrative Assistant III Confidential (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAApril 3, 2018
I had quite a lengthy career with San Juan Unified School District. I found the culture to be very supportive and everyone worked together to see that all children, parents and staff succeeded.
Pros
Security
Great environment
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Carmichael, CAMarch 24, 2018
Sometimes it can be hectic but it is all worth it. The kids and the staff are great and they make it all worth while. Sometimes there can be a little hiccups in the communication but all in all it's smoothly ran.
Student learning environment
Instructional Aide, Yard Aud (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAMarch 7, 2018
Each day was something new with students. When you see their eyes light because they understand what you are teaching them was my reward. Teaching students from Kindergarten up to 6th grade kept me on my toes and I enjoyed each and every day.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Not full time
Productiveness
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Orangevale, CAFebruary 25, 2018
Loved working here with the staff and the kids. Everyone was very helpful and polite, the hours were great for anyone with school aged kids! I just needed something in the afternoon once I started school
Working with Youth
Head Coach, Cross Country, Track & Field (Current Employee) –  Carmichael, CAFebruary 6, 2018
It's not for everyone but rewarding if you like working with today's youth. Management is supportive and while challenging to get support of youth and parents it's a nice environment.
Work
Substitute Instructional Assistant II/III (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAJanuary 23, 2018
Yes, it is a stressful job as the kids you work with are often unpredictable and it can be dangerous at times. I love my students and my coworkers where always there when I needed them.
not too bad if you can manage to get thru. being a sub. once permanent at a school, its great.
Substitute Custodian (Former Employee) –  Sacramento County, CAJanuary 17, 2018
I enjoyed doing the work, and found it easy to get along with the staff members at all the different locations, and felt that the work load at each place to be manageable and was looking forward to becoming a permanent member of just about any of the locations i had subbed for. The only reason I'm not still with this job, is due to the inadequate way a newly appointed supervisor managed a situation resulting in my Wrongful termination.
Pretty Good, but getting full time is difficult.
Substitute School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 25, 2017
Pretty Good, but getting full time is difficult. You start out as part time/fill in and bounce from route to route on a day in day out basis.

Kids are a pain when the know that you are a sub.
Pros
Black on yellow is a decent color scheme.
Cons
Black on yellow 'aint that good
I would play basket ball and I got free lunch
Night Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CANovember 14, 2017
I had 18 rooms to trash daily 12 to clean daily 5 restroom plus keep the parking lot and play ground soccer ground clean with the MPR or multi purpose Room the lunch, basketball, and stage room with rest rooms clean every other day.
Pros
always on call off every Holiday worked alone trusted by others some time worked overtime
Cons
short breaks
Very low stress, no pressure fun work environment. Good co worker relationships.
Recreational Aide (Former Employee) –  Pasedena preschoolNovember 8, 2017
Job security is a great part. If your willing to do the work how you advance in the district is up to you. Supervisors, are easy to talk to. You can take personal days when your kids are sick or something comes up. Overall just a real nice place to work.
Fast paced environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CANovember 3, 2017
This position required food preparation, cleaning, assisting cook with prep, checking temps and using a Point Of Sale system for breakfast and lunch at a High School. Washing dishes, checking deliveries, and cashiering were daily activities.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Not always a chance for advancement to obtain benefits.
Professional Setting
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carmichael, CAOctober 3, 2017
I learn something new everyday. Working with kids is not easy it's very stressful some days. Just knowing that you are able to make a difference in a child.s life or help a parent is the best feeling ever.
Fast paced teaching situation
SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CASeptember 22, 2017
Taught and supported students and teachers, and included students with severe disabilities in grades seven through twelve +. Students were on the Autistic Spec- trum or had some related disability and could benefit from supervised inclusion in general education and special education situations. Developed program lesson plans, prepared IEPs for meetings and invited staff, Regional Center managers, and partnered with parents. Developed Peer Support Program for increased opportuni- ties with general education students. Trained and directed up to six Instructional As- sistants.
Pros
Rewarding profession
Cons
Short breaks, little time for planning.
Exciting and fun upbeat work place.
Sacramento - Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 29, 2017
I liked coming to work everyday. I worked well with my coworkers. I enjoyed making connections with the Student's. I wouldn't mind going back to work for them.
Pros
I liked it all.
Cons
Their were none.
not applicable
Member of the Leadership Team (Current Employee) –  Carmichael, CAAugust 25, 2017
Work is safe and people are nice. Teachers are hard workers. Families are dedicated and continue to attend class. Salary is fair. Support is ongoing and encouraged.
File clerk
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAAugust 11, 2017
I was an intern here for a class in high school. I learned a lot about how to organize, by filing thousands of documents. I enjoyed working here for the little time that I did.
Great place to work in the education field.
Instructional Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAAugust 2, 2017
I worked as an Instructional Assistant. My duties consisted of helping students with disabilities in their day to day tasks such as class assignments and tutoring. I also assisted with mobility assistance for some students with mobility issues and worked on fine motor functions as well as adaptive behavior for many students.
Pros
Short days and great benefits
Cons
not year round work.
Persons with disabilities are often not accomodated.
Instructional Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 26, 2017
SJUSD policies re. accommodations for persons with disability (eg. must use a walker) were non-existent, at least when that is the case regarding an instructional Assistant. This was not just at one school but was a district policy
Pros
Working with handicapped students was interesting and enjoyable.
Cons
Payrate should be increased.
Excellent program of child care and education.
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CA 95608July 26, 2017
I worked a split shift as the School-age teacher that sometimes was difficult. The other Teachers made my days enjoyable and were always quick to be helpful if I needed it. The school district had always kept us up to date on the newest ECE trends. The management was always approachable and professional as well as willing to answer any questions the teachers might have.
Pros
Excelent benefits and retirement plan, good people work there.