San Mateo County Community College District

San Mateo County Community College District Employee Reviews

United States20 reviews
This is a very interesting place in terms of its past, and it’s direction for the future maintaining a functioning department, and pandering to a liberal narrative of the higher ups.

There are some pros to this place, but also some real issues in today’s world in regards to running a Public Safety Department which is obviously a 24/7/365 deal

SMCCD decades ago was a real police department. It was disbanded due to political reasons. It was replaced with a lowly security staff that didn’t require any law enforcement background.

At some point as the years grinder on, the district changed course and required a Basic Police Academy to work there again to get better applicants. It remained a non sworn entity.

The pay stayed the same throughout the years (step level $28-$40 plus overtime) It looks good on paper, but San Mateo County is one of the most expensive areas to live in the USA, and you have to determine the commuter life, and sustainability of your situation if you apply here.

As the years went by, SMCCDs Public Safety started to get bad press due to officer safety issues, brought up a few times by a local Publication, The San Mateo Journal. This happened mainly because of the increase of school shootings throughout the nation.

Public Safety Officers at SMCCD are not armed. They do carry baton and pepper spray. Questions also arose with outdated equipment such as radios not working.

Years and years of politics and bureaucratic bumbling followed about what the department should look like moving forward .

A all encompassing department study ensued about the direction
 - more...
Pros
Pay, benefits, overtime, good staff
Cons
terrible politics, overly expensive area, unrealistic expectations
Working with SMCCD was great at first but there is so much drama behind the curtain and the district employees that are in higher positions are extremely immature and abuse their power to harrass and belittle other employees below them in the job structure until they find any excuse to fire you. Fair or not fair the politics here are too much and too childish. I loved my job but they ruined it.
Benefits
Cons
Coworkers
I was hired aug 26th 2018 and when I arrived to job to meet co workers I was only person not Hispanic decent. there was not nof English on job as advertised I have 13 year custodian experience. I was only trained one for 2 building to clean I was told I was doing a great job. bottom line I was terminated after 3 weeks with out a sure reason why I do not advise anyone to work here very racist job felt very uncomfortable in this position .I will follow up my review with a more serious company for the district.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
poor work enviroment
I was a part of one department and they helped me and taught me everything they could. They were very welcoming and supportive. At this job you can find a lot of friend and make new connections
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The cosmetology department lacks in team community. The staff is clickie and uninviting to new staff members. If you’re young, knowledgeable, and innovative be prepare to be a threat. The team will quickly find a way to give you bad reviews through your tenure tack process and create an unwelcoming environment for you.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Toxic work environment
Great place for an education as well as a career. SMCCCD believes in students success above all else. Equity driven, SMCCCD supports the students and employees with out of the box ideas and actions.
A typical day is interesting working with staff, faculty, administrators and serving students. The most enjoyable part of working in the San Mateo Community College District is the wonderful, committed people and the diverse workforce and student body. Excellent training is provided to support employees to be the best they can be by learning interpersonal and communications skills to be successful. I continue to learn more about collaboration and accepting and appreciating different viewpoints towards a common college mission. In the 11 years I have been with the District, I see the progress that has been made to be an inclusive workplace culture.
Pros
Supportive Working Environment with opportunity for advancement
Cons
San Mateo County in Silicon Valley Housing Costs are Prohibitive
San Mateo county community college district is a fair employer and has a diverse work environment with less pressure. I had the chance working under supervision of great mentors.
The other employees that I interacted with were all very kind and professional. The students were all respectful and open to learning and understanding their situation and how to improve on it. Staff members in the same department were supportive. Improvement could be had in communication and preparedness overall, but I suspect that will be addressed quickly. The staff are smart and logical.
Pros
View of the bay.
Cons
No benefits for part-time work
As a student you can set your own work hours that work with your class schedule, Help other student by mentoring as they navigate the community college system. Tutor other students in subjects are proficient in
Pros
willing to work around class times, job is on college campus
Great college with great people who care about thier students.
The amount of collaboration and communications it takes to get the student schedule is overwheling, but the deans and professors care about us students - They inspire us!
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
can get hectic.
Management is not good. Managers are telling people that evaluation will not exceed. It will only either meat criteria or under because we (deans) think everyone has a room for improvement. Actually they are doing BAD evaluations purposely so if they need to get rid of (FIRE) someone then that will not be a headache for district. So looks like the Deans & Directors are directed to put some thing in their employees files so they can easily FIRE them. This place has lot of money but no respect.

Think before accepting a position. Some of the Managers are not truest worthy. STAY AWAY...!
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bad Work Enviroment
It's important to get a mentor to help with your advancements and employment choices.
There is no typical day at work, working in the President's Office.

Management can be challenging.

Information not shared

The most enjoyable part of this job is working with the students and seeing them succeed
Plainly and simply the best public agency to work for especially if you work at the District office. You won't regret leaving your job to go work here.
i learned a lot, co-workers are very nice, they are very respectful from custodian to big boss, students & teachers are nice also, i enjoy working in this community, they treat you like a family
Going in to preform typical job duties. How to clean correctly interact with the job environment to get the job done. Management was very effective to get jobs done correctly. Cleaning up behind the student who made a mess on purpose for the custodian to clean. meeting and interacting with a diverse work force.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Nursing dept is struggling with accreditation problems. Workload too high as less full time faculty. No professor autonomy in most situations.
I enjoy going to work every day. the supervisors are supportive, and want to see you succeed. My coworkers are always there if you should need a hand, Some days it can be a pretty fast paced environment, but at the end of shift we always get it done
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Temp position
Very diverse environment comprised of students, employees, professors, and administrative personnel. The San Mateo Community College District is comprised of three college campuses with very unique college environments.
Pros
Funding and mission of service.
Cons
Short breaks
Planning, organizing, directing, and controlling the IT desktop, labs and server support. Including strategic planning of computer operations, systems, network and database administration.
Manage, training, supervise and evaluating the work of computer support technicians, media, and electronic technicians involved in diagnosis, repair, configuration, installation and maintenance of workstations and audio-visual equipment.

Planning, coordinating and allocating technology support resources, services and day-to-day activities.

Conferring with administrative, academic and classified staff regarding computer support requests and department needs, resolution of issues, and provision of technical assistance.

Ensuring the reliable and efficient operation of all workstations, audio-visual equipment, and security systems.

Assist in development of District and College policies and procedures for budget allocation, minimum technology standards, equipment replacement strategy, based on College and State-wide fiscal environment

Computer and Server hardware and software purchases; and, a variety of other related duties as assigned
Pros
stability, "family" environment
Cons
reached the top of the ladder within the education setting. time to find a new challenge