San Ysidro Health Employee Reviews

Great Working Eniviroment
Certified Eligibility Specialist II- Float (Current Employee) –  San Diego CADecember 26, 2018
Granted dealing with sick patients is not easy. Management always finds a way to make you feel like you and your work matter. Fells good to know you're appreciated.
productive
Patient Access /Patient Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CADecember 5, 2018
a day at work Register new patients. Qualify Patients for Clinic Discount. Maintain Patient Demographic Information. Front Desk / Admit patients to their appointments. Follow up Patient Accounts, Appeal unpaid claims, I learned to appeal unpaid claims, management was good, work place culture classic, the hardest part of my job was my schedule, the most enjoyable part was to help patients
Pros
help patients
Cons
shift hours
January 2, 2019

Thank you for your feedback and for your commitment to San Ysidro Health.

PACE Utilization/Network Management
Utilization and Network Management (Current Employee) –  San Ysidro, CADecember 1, 2018
Currently overseeing the utilization and network management divisions, my experience is a direct contrast to the other review that is on this platform. Since my arrival, my direct superiors (medical and program directors) have given me the ability to build out the divisions to increase accessibility and the appropriate utilization for our health population. Senior leadership at San Ysidro Health also acknowledges and fosters those who want to excel/grow and have been given the opportunity to travel for national conferences. With new found knowledge, this has been disbursed to our local team.

The organization is in rapid expansion/growth and the utilization and network management divisions are restructuring and growing with new employment opportunities in the future. If you are looking to grow professionally and learn exponentially, this is a great place to be!
Pros
Benefits; Proactive approach
December 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and for your commitment to San Ysidro Health.

Great work environment
ACA Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CANovember 29, 2018
Was a great work environment for employees. The schedule was constantly changing and allowed travel to various other health centers. Ability to interact with patients.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
N/a
December 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback will help the organization continue to improve our work place.

PACE PROGRAM at SYH ONLY - Job Offer Did not match Agreement/Did not honor job offer
UM RN - Compliance Coordinator/Manager (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAOctober 2, 2018
I was hired to become the Manager for UM/UR/Compliance and the official job offer received from HR did not talk about anything regarding management. Also, all the "UM staff" I was suppose to train and manage was under the direct supervision of the PACE Administration, not under UM/UR or Compliance and it is hard to set priorities and schedule training when people are not under your supervision or management. Also I was non-exempt when all managers were exempt. However my badge says "manager" I did not have any of the managers same benefits or pay. The place is run as a health insurance but administration (non-medical and non-nursing) runs every UM/UR decision during grand rounds with the excuse that they know the patients. I felt they are looking out for dollars and wanted to wow me with a title that was not true but I came across some ethical issues that made me very uncomfortable to continue working there.
Pros
Potential to be a great place to work if administration has morals and ethics.
Cons
they dont have any morals or ethics.
Serious work environment
Administrative Assistant - En Casa Department (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 25, 2018
Busy from start to finish any day of the week.
Follow HIPPA always, and keep your self safe with all preventative measures at all times because you only have one body.
It is sad when people get turned away because they do not have benefits.

Good company
Business Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CASeptember 20, 2018
SYHC is a good company to work for. It has so many different options in job selections and opportunity. Pay is good for management but it is still a little behind with lay staff.

Good place to learn
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 17, 2018
You learn alot to become a better person ypu get aot of help fromt the RN’s and doctors to be able to get the correct answers in which your having issues with
Good
Cons
Short breaks
Good company
Referral Department Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAAugust 9, 2018
Very busy a lot of patients
learned a lot from the company
management was great
multicultural
it was easy job
was working with very great people that had a lot of patience in teaching the new hires
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
na
Advancement through sitting around.
Medical Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAAugust 3, 2018
This could be a great health center because of the mission, location and challenging patient population. Most of the staff however do not hold a bachelors, masters or doctorate degrees. There is a lot of disdain for people with advanced degrees and vast healthcare experience. Most people advance by sitting around at this organization and do not attain advanced education. Very few clinical managers have an MBA or MPH and have little respect or appreciation for employees with academic training/healthcare experience. If you are liked by the "powers that be" you do not have to develop any level of serious skills to advance within this organization. Being bilingual is an asset and a must with this organization because of the patient population. The average professional career at this health center is about 5-6 years and then most of the medical, Dental and talented administrative staff leave or end up being fired for upsetting the administration. This organization is large, formidable and comparable to any HMO or PPO but the interpersonal dynamics are very "meet me in the play ground after school"
Pros
Travel to most clinics and administrative offices is against traffic.
Cons
Disdain and disrespect for educated individuals.
Good for experience
Phlebotomist Intern (Current Employee) –  National City, CAJune 23, 2018
SYH is a good place to start and get your experience, the pay is not great but they do offer benefits for full time employment there are always openings.
Cons
Low pay management needs improvements
The perfect place to work
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAJune 11, 2018
When i was working for SYH I grew as a person and they thought me a lot about my job and my community to be of better service. Its a great place to work.
Pros
Flexibility
July 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your positive experience!

Great Services for Patients
Patient Access Representative Lead (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAApril 14, 2018
I loved working at SYHC. I loved the culture of the patients. SYHC offers a broad range of services to the community from Dental Services to Cardiologist. Company offered affordable medical and dental benefits. No 401 k
Pros
great Services to the community
Cons
no 401k
work day
Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CA 92173March 22, 2018
good day at work; positive feedback from supervisors, positive vibes, management is always there when you need them. busy day, but help is available if needed
Pros
lunch, breaks
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 14, 2018
Great place to work, it is great to have people who care about the job. The people want to be successful and it shows every day when they come to work.
Hectic
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San YsidroFebruary 11, 2018
Busy , unorganized. Favoritism is very evident. If you are liked its probably a great place to work if not it is not. Poor management and organization
February 19, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It is unfortunate that your experience was not optimal. The organization has not hired Administrative Assistants in quite some time, so you may have been employed with us during the period where we doubled in size in just a few years. Times like those are certainly challenging and we rely on those who can be flexible and wear a lot of hats. Thank you again for your feedback and for your commitment to San Ysidro Health.

the most enjoyable part of the job
Laboratory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAJanuary 11, 2018
Going home with the satisfaction that you have help so many people that come to the clinic when they feel sick. Knowing that you help put a smile on a patients face even though they feel sick or they received bad news.
July 11, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and share your positive experience with us. All the best!

Fast Paced
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92154January 11, 2018
Typical Day at San Ysidro Health would be set up vaccines needed for the day at the site i would be located, make sure to have all documents needed for the day.
Pros
great hours
Cons
poor staff communicaion
I love volunteering here
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 4, 2018
That's literally all I can say. Since I have to have a set amount of characters I will also say. I never knew they existed and now that I know they do. They have changed my life. I found another family. I wish to work for them some day.
Pros
Fun outgoing co-workers, meet new people, and help people in need
Cons
Only volunteering
Mission Oriented
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 29, 2017
No organization is perfect. That said, this organization is wonderful. Staying true to a mission for 50 years is impressive. Building from one tiny clinic to 14 clinics and dozens of program sites is very impressive. Like most organizations, San Ysidro Health has had its ups and downs over the years, but has never experienced one major layoff. Not even during the severe down economic times.

Current leadership is focused on expanding our reach, expanding our services, and making work life great for all employees. There are dozens of personal training classes I can take (paid) for free each year to improve my work skills and my life skills.
Pros
Medical Benefit Plan better than anything I've ever seen.
Cons
Slow to make changes in a rapidly changing field

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Ysidro Health. Our community is ready to answer.