SAS Retail Services Employee Reviews

Don't waste your time
Retail Service Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  ColoradoMarch 16, 2019
forewarning: It requires sufficient staffing with trained individuals to do an outstanding job. This is not the place. My position covered Walmart stores, full time, 8 hours a day. Travel but no travel expense. No training provided except for approximately a day, with about 2 weeks worth needed to perform your job, let alone doing it well. Everything you do is reported through a computer system you don't receive training on, and if you state that you didn't get any training, you're told that the day and a half time spent with you WAS your training. Management spends just enough time with you to be sure you are able to sign into the system and that's about it. When you do what you can with what you've been provided, you don't receive any encouragement but plenty about what you did wrong. You're provided codes and pdf material to help explain the duties and expectations of your position, but management fails to tell you this material is to be covered while on your 40 hour shift even if it's your first day. So they send you out, totally not trained to perform the job, then attack you when you haven't done things right. The working atmosphere is terrible because Walmart employees regard your presence as a threat to their positions. Management turns an eye (attempting to display) little insight into the fact that you will spend your own sweet time dealing with work related issues, time you should be paid for but are not. I got total refusal of acknowledgement in that regard. I guess they expect a sacrifice to the work-life balance, at least that is what my superior clearly expected.  more... Display and POP material arrive at your place of residence constantly, and you'll just have to deal with it on your own time.  less
Pros
Cons
Read the review.
Lack of communication
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 14, 2019
Management was super bad at communicating with employees and the store. You would show up and have nothing to do some days, if there was someone to let you in the store at all. It is A LOT of stocking. 30 min of planogram and the rest was stocking if anything.

M6 team lead was awesome but the next supervisor was the horrendous one. Never would answer or respond back.
Work environment was fast paced, team players.
Reset Merchandiser - Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSMarch 13, 2019
Work environment was fast paced which I liked. It was a temporary job and co workers were friendly and team players. Supervisor was informative and gave good direction.
Okay
Reset Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 13, 2019
This workplace could be better if they hired better employees, some of the people I worked with were not personable. I went to work to do my job everyday.
Ruined my likeness of Merchandising, conducting re-sets
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMarch 11, 2019
Cheap, cheap company that has over-promised to the client and is trying to have their cake and eat it too. The re-sets grew to be problematic and exhausting after S.A.S received a Food Lion contract in the northeast (Hannaford's). Over-the-top changes, much needless, just so the buyers in the home offices could tinker with product however they felt- above and beyond the bidding for space that goes on with manufacturers now a days. After many months of feedback and nothing changing, it became obvious the buyers at corporate offices didn't give a hoot about the merchandisers (nor the shopper- see below). Not to mention, the same mistakes made on plan-o-grams because the corporate people wouldn't simply visit the stores once in a while and evaluate our feedback; the same errors were made on the plan-o-grams for the same sets months later using unreliable computer models.

Merchandisers began to get hurt- backs, knees, etc...- many of whom were in perfectly good physical shape. Too much time spent bent down on floors, and absurd shelf changes for sets that are already very lengthy such as revamping yogurt for the third time in less than a year. In many cases, the manufacturer wouldn't change where they were on the shelving, but rather flavors. Dumb and unnecessary.

Re-sets in many sections became so time consuming, I began to get comments from shoppers. Hopefully that will knock some sense into these buyers and SAS, who is all to happy to bow-tow to whatever the stores wanted, while trying to cut merchandisers' pay after they took over the contract, while offering no opportunity
  more... for raises, and lessening mileage reimbursement. Very frustrating to be stuck in an OJ section for example, by the early afternoon, and have half the product in the back cooler, because of the overwhelming change. Shoppers weren't all too happy. You think that would be the litmus test to where both SAS and the stores should say, "enough is enough". But guess not. We almost never got all sets done in a store and were always falling behind even with a full crew (this never was the case before SAS took over in the summer of 2018).

This is a remedial job with remedial pay at best. Let's face it. SAS ruined a job I once enjoyed doing on the side. People who are also spouses looking for mom hours and semi-retirees have had almost enough of being used and bending over backwards for over-the-top re-sets, while having pay cut, mileage reimbursement cut, and being promised to have travel cut- only to intermittently having to in fact to travel more to be dictated to go to cover at stores even further away because SAS made no effort to have a hiring manager recruit new help in regions outside our designated territory. More over, the home offices don't even know the tax laws pertaining to payroll. No, you don't as a merchandiser get income tax withheld from a state you do not live in, simply because you drive to a store in that state to merchandise! I had to debate this point with two individuals at the home office, who had no clue about what was fact and fiction. I finally had the money reimbursed after much time spent not having this stuff followed thru with, being on hold forever on the phone, etc... . Funniest of all, they had no idea when and if I was in a state working outside of my residency in any given pay period. They just kept withholding a set percentage of my check each time. Total dog and pony show on all fronts!
Pros
Team members aided each other best as possible to get as much done as was possible.
Cons
Over-worked for remedial pay, pinching pennies, sketchy time keeping and reimbursement methods, mileage reimbursement reduced from the industry standard of 25 down to 15 cents/mile, catering way too much to corporate offices, over-promising what isn't sustainable over the long haul.
Fast paced job, collaborative, good supervision
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 10, 2019
Workplace culture is very collaborative and supervision is fair. Job is fast paced and the days go by quickly. Company has a team atmosphere and the schedule is a plus.
Pros
schedule, fast paced
Cons
ne benefits or paid time off
SAS is Great Company to work for
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALMarch 9, 2019
SAS is a great company for many reasons, Our Team is hard working, we get the job done, and we all work good together. Our DM is very fair, and easy to get along with. If theres ever a issue its corrected in a timely manner. Traveling is involved, I receive decent mileage, perdiem daily.
All in All I give SAS is a good review.
Pros
Perdiem, good management, traveling to different states
Good place
SAS Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMarch 9, 2019
Easy work, right pay for the specific job requirements. Good people that I personally worked with. My manager was good at her job. Traveled to other states to do jobs. All in all if the pay was what I'm looking for now I'd go back. Good place to work and I liked it
Pros
Shift, hours
Cons
Not many
Just Don't Do It
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  North Carolina/Virginia/South CarolinaMarch 8, 2019
Will suspend if your team more hours than they want. No advancement.Took money back out of our checks to keep budget. Favoritism, hard work-no reward.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Management, corporate, no raise
Horrible cultre in the market programs
MERCHANDISER/MARKET (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2019
Harrasment,unethical behavoir direct from managment,everything is swept under the rug
Retail sup
Program directors
Hr
Crooked and very unfair in opinion
Cons
Super poor managment, Unethical behaviour, Pay is a joke

Want to know more about SAS Retail Services?

Ask a question
Productive and fun
SAS Retail Merchandising Services (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 4, 2019
I loved working with this group of people because we had fun while we worked setting up displays and resetting products. Almost everyone worked as we were supposed to, only a few slackers. Our supervisor was the coolest ever and worked with us whenever we had issues or appointments! I LOVE KIM!
Pros
Benefits and unpaid time off, travel pay
Cons
Not many hours during the day mostly!
Do Not Work Here!!!
Merchandiser/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVMarch 1, 2019
They tell you that you will get 12 dollars an hour. But after you start, you actually get paid by the job.not hour. Example is resetting a plan o gram that takes 2 hours. should be 24 dollars. The job may be only 10 dollars. Some assignments are actually 1 dollar!!
I worked one week for 20 dollars and got paid 20 dollars..My manager who by the way, works from home and on the phone, said that my computer trail was not submitted and therefore, she would not pay me. I was smart enough to leave documents at every store that I copied, so I would have proof. The company ended up paying me a fraction of my check. This is the sorriest company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
all
Just say no to Sas!!!!
Lead (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 28, 2019
The job itself was fine . Upper management is where they go wrong they have a guy that works in the orange county office that’s a total jerk if they got rid of him all the merchandisers wouldn’t be quitting !!!
Pros
A job
Cons
Leo
Embarrassingly mismanaged, deceitful company
Reset Team Member (Former Employee) –  MaineFebruary 28, 2019
I tentatively accepted this position knowing that a lot of travel was involved, but the listed locations were all within 20 minutes of my home and I was willing to take the chance.

The onboarding agent lied to me about what locations I was to work at; half of the closest locations were not in my rotation and they were replaced by locations that were closer to a half hour away from my home.
I was not given a single moment of training, I had to ask another new hire how to access the schedule online to verify my hours were being correctly recorded.
My first day I was not told when I could take a break and worked nearly 8 hours start to finish without taking one. The team leader/manager was not at the same store as the team more days than she was, and when I asked for the contact information for the manager above her to reach out to her to discuss my concerns about the position, and I was given a number that was out of service.

Our team probably experienced three to four arguments and fights sparked by miscommunication a day, and I honestly have never worked in a work environment as toxic as this.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack of proper management, no training, miserable team attitude, directly misleading about job description
Never work here
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 27, 2019
Worst company to work for, do not do it you can find better. A bunch of dictators that micro manager and knows nothing of being in the field doing the actual work.
Pros
Cons
Managament dictates does not do anything to help out where needed most
Fast paced
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs National Park, ARFebruary 26, 2019
The driving wears out my car too quickly and I can't always find a manager to talk to at the various locations.
My supervisor is friendly and willing to work with you
poor management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2019
we worked at different store locations and took old products off the shelves and restocked them with new product. and set up new promotions and remodeling their stores.
Pros
short breaks
Cons
no lunch break
Erratic work environment
Reset Merchander (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 26, 2019
I've been with this company for a couple years and if you plan on getting on board from the NC area, you may want to think again.
Pay is decent but most coworkers are unprofessional $11-13/hour
Managers catch attitudes with employees and act like children
We are hired for 3rd shift (monday-friday)
Yet some weeks we will randomly be assigned to day time sets the next week so your sleep schedule will always be screwed.
Even worse is when you get accommodated to day time sets. Finish around afternoon Friday and drive home, to be told you are back on night shift next week. Which requires leaving and checking into your room by sunday. (1 day off??)
Prepare to put miles on your car and go 2 weeks without seeing your mileage reimbursement yet you are expected to travel out of town weekly....?
(2-8 hour drives)

The Manager releases you. You never know what time your getting off work, resets start at 9pm and can be over as soon as 3a.m or as late as 3pm the next day. Regardless how late you are released your expected to back to following night at 9p.m.

Advancement in this company is a joke. The team leaders make dollar more then entry level but they are required to work several more hours then everyone else a week. No work/Life balance whatsoever.

Last but not least the hotel rooms. Some of them are really nice but pray you get roomed with someone decent, because if your roomate is dirty, doing drugs or just a pain to be with, your stuck.

**If you need a job and have thick skin, get hired and stick it out. Use the money to get on your feet and find something better.
  more... Thats what 90% of employees do anyway.  less
Pros
Travel?? Regular $1, 000+ Bi weekly paycheck
Cons
THEY HIRE ANYBODY. Weekly travely/Bi weekly Pay. Childish managment, Graveyard shifts, Lack of supplies and organization
Very easy but fast pace learning job
SAS Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 25, 2019
SAS is a great job to have. You get to travel different places, they pay for your stay for the week if location is away from home. Also pays for mileage
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Being away from home if on travel team
Sas
Retail Merchandiser (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 16, 2019
Loved it incredible people extremely flexible and understanding always pay on time and give schedules in time to review gave me hours as well as time if needed
Pros
Great pay perks schedules
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAS Retail Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight