Sacramento Municipal Utility District

Sacramento Municipal Utility District Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
This is a great company to work for which can lead to a career. They're many positions within the company. You can come in as a college student and work your way up. (They are willing to work around your schedule and accommodate you in anyway possible)
Great company
Wonderful place to work; employees and management are very-supportive. Great pay, benefits, and location. Large company with many opportunities for growth.
Don't go there
It is a very hostile environment to work in. They don't want you to sick up for yourself or see you as a threat. If they want to they will get rid of you using methods as positive discipline if you whistle blow. The only way you can get promoted is if you know someone. You are judged on your merits but how much you can kiss up. The later on that you get the job, your retirement benefits are reduced. I had way too many problems to name to put on this document.
Awful
I wish I had never accepted the job! The management cannot make a decision. Communication within the company is completely missing. Opportunity for advancement doesn’t exist. Goals and objectives from the executive team isn’t communicated.
Terrible Place to Work
Pay and benefits are good, but that's it. The management is horrible, and their discipline is always extremely excessive. Even if you do your job within policy, they will find a way to discipline you if they don't like you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Smud
Great benefits, culture, & peers in the department. Some departments have bad management, while others are good. Overall, the agency is great to work for.
Work days varied based upon conditions
Work in the power generation unit was dependent upon the rainy conditions because power was generated, in part, by the flow of water through the mountains of the Upper American River. Therefore, during periods of high rainfall, during rainy days I would spend approximately 100% of my time in the office, monitoring and analyzing data. On days when there was no rain, however, approximately 90% of my day would take place in the field where I performed tasks such as dam/spillway inspection, overseeing drilling operations for soil sample analysis, pump station inspection, and supervising roadway repairs.
Pros
Relaxed Work Environment
Cons
Job Site Was Far From Home
A typical day at work has to do with working on various projects as assigned. Very nice working environment. An environment in which the employer believes in work life balance. Management is very great as well as individual staff. It is a very great place to retire with Calpers and annual salary advancement.
The leadership in the organization has created a toxic culture work environment due to the political subculture that really runs everything
SOme incredibly talented, hard working people work there, very tuned into staying competitive in the energy generation and delivery marget with the projected advances in technology and chnages from regulatory agencies - some incredibly intelligent and talented people
Pros
good benefits
Cons
union environment and state employees create a "its not my job" mentality and a lack of trust
Money is the best part
Very political but great pay. Culture is very dated and focused on superficial qualities while hard work goes unnoticed. Much room for process improvement. Benefits are decent if you are ok with accepting discrimination in return.
Highly Recommend
Co-workers and management are friendly and helpful. Contractors are not left to feel excluded but are treated as true team members. Lots of process-driven work due to the nature of the industry but it comes with the territory. I did not encounter any micro-management and in fact, you are trusted to do your job. Casual dress, no treats unless someone brings them so if you're looking for food perks, this isn't the place for you. I've enjoyed my time there.
Interesting place to work
It is fine place to work with hands full project to work.
Working hours is 9.5 /per day

Need work as respect contractor

No sneak around because supervisor is watching.

Help as much as you can for the peer.

See problem work on and resolve as soon as possible,
Pros
manager will make the technical decision
Cons
environment is very loose allow cowoker took credit the work I have done
Great
Great Experience, Community-Oriented, and Benefits. Well managed and they adhere to their mission statement, you always feel apart of our team. The on boarding process was quick.
I am glad to work for this company
Great to be part of the smud. people in the company were really helpful and guide you in the right way. Enjoyed completing tasks on time with supporting staff.
Makes it hard to go back to Private Sector
The culture and work environment here at SMUD is rare and they make you not want to leave. Even when other companies, both Public and Private Sector, offer better pay the majority of SMUD's employees stay put!
Great work environment, family oriented
Never before have I worked for a company that truly valued its employees just as much as it does its customers. I truly landed a gem when I was hired at this company.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Slow movement being a government agency
Fun Atmosphere
Great place to work with great work life balance. Management is great and collaboration is encouraged. I highly recommend working here. SMUD has been excellent to my family.
Benefits
Cons
Good pay and benefits but Management is challenging.
Good pay and benefits but Management is challenging. No advancement opportunities in Facilities. The hardest part of the job is being managed by an individual from India; culture collision.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
A very fun working place if you know your deal.
Stable civil service job, above average pay and great benefits! HR is doing a good job caring for employees. Customer centric and community-minded, a company that really cares about employees and customers. Arguably one of the best companies in the entire Sacramento Area catered towards the development of employee growth.
Great company to work for
Nothing really to complain about.
Me personally, I was at the top of my position and there was no where else to go. Spent many years on lists for other positions and was never able to move.
Nice Place to Work, Good People
I research, design, review, evaluate and conduct NERC Continuous Education training to Power System Operations control room personnel and all other classifications mandated by NERC or other grid generation and operating standards regarding the operation, control and monitoring of the SMUD Balancing Authority and SMUD's generation, transmission and gas pipeline facilities.
As a NERC Continuing Education Provider, I design, develop and implement educational and training programs to meet NERC regulatory compliance and reliability standards. I design, develop and implement training solutions for improving human performance and operational reliability of the Power System Operators. I create, present and coordinate course instruction, classroom facilities, A/V equipment, computerized simulation systems and other training material. I record and document the Power System Operator competencies and task performance. I perform Power System Operator job task analysis. I maintain current and up-to-date on national, regional and company specific operating procedures for power system operators. I participate in Electric Industry Training forums. I represent the District and the District's position in external operating groups and other organizations.
Pros
Friendly, well educated, outgoing co-workers.
Cons
Get it done yesterday attitude