Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op

Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op Employee Reviews

United States15 reviews
A typical day at work you go in, prepare your area for opening. Management are not really there for their employees, like it's fake or really forced. The culture has drastically changed, which once was a place people have shopped for decades. Now it seems to be more about making money rather then quality or connection with their shoppers. Customers will show you that they will get their way, even if they're out of line. You will get in trouble for sicking up for yourself.
Pros
15% employee discount
Cons
Very hostile
I had a terrible time there. The work was easy but it seemed so difficult for many or simply that no one cared. Management was terrible. Issues were rarely resolved when brought to their attention, Employees were not held accountable for not meeting expectations and slack was picked up by the few employees who were working for their pay. We had pretty lame work equipment and the order machines were always broken or lost or dead. No training guidelines or daily expectations listed so often many normal grocery practices are neglected. Very poor communication even though there is email and message boards. Overall, it was one of the worst jobs I’ve held. I was constantly stressed, sore, and upset to see my fellow employees being treated like robots. They seem much more concerned with having a certain look and making as much money off the community. They have switched up a lot since they moved to the new building and it was not for the better. They may have been great to work for at one time but they have forgotten their mission and follow what seems to feel like a corporate path.
Pros
Interesting coworkers and customers, great selection of organic foods/local products/sustainable products
Cons
Management! Lack of communication, no accountability, Didn’t feel safe after dark, parking
I enjoyed my time at the Co-Op, but that was almost entirely due to the camaraderie I felt with my peers. Management in every department was (to my understanding), pretty bad. There's no room to move up in the food chain, so you'll find yourself getting burned out pretty quickly. Some customers are great, some are horrible. If you're looking for something short-term with some good people, I say go for it. But don't expect to ever build any type of career here.
The Coop says it cares about the community and does, focusing on community outreach and local farmers. It does not care about it's employees. The employees who have worked there for more than 20 years are all pushed out, leaving or are treated very poorly and without raises. They just want to get employees that will not know there low standards for care of employees and pay them less. They are not acting as a coop but as a corporation. The employees although they are friendly with each other are not happy. So many unhappy employees. They do not get what they want, raises, promotions, benefits etc. They are not happy with management who says they will listen and help but don't. There is a huge gap between the Management, operation office staff and employees. They don't take care of pregnant, injured or sick employees fairly, they just want to make money. They have a very strict late and absent policy where they can fire you quickly. They do not want to work around peoples requests for time off or schedules unless you are in school. They do not tolerate time off for spirituality. Most people must work Sundays. The cashier position is only full time and they are not flexible with this. The members, shoppers are not happy, with low benefits to them, continually taken away and not being listened to. This makes the shoppers very disgruntled. It is unionized but seems that the union can not do much to help employees. It is also expensive to join the union and pay monthly dues. There is only parking that is payed by employees, otherwise poor parking around the building where you get - more...
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
This place is a joke. They charge 14.99 for a sandwich because they can and are try to gouge out every penny of their production as possible. They have a rotating staff of managers all to whom worked at whole foods and are trying to adopt their management pracrtices and its terrible and it shows. I am truly and utterly dissapointed to have called this place a job
Great culture. Everyone has a job and they do it. It is hard to advance unless the managers personally like you. You meet a lot of great people. Even though I don't work there anymore I'm still friends with lots of former and current employees.
Pros
Good pay, great management, working in a great environment
Cons
Parking is terrible for employees
May 7, 2019
It's great to hear you enjoyed working here and made lasting friendships! Thank you for all of your hard work.
I've learned about how to help the environment, people of our surrounding community, and reduce waste. They donate some profits to several charities and provide discounts for those whose income is very low.
May 7, 2019
Thank you for your comment. It's great to hear that you have learned valuable things, and it is important for us to serve our community, reduce waste, and support local charities and individuals with low income. Thanks again!
I'm a float clerk. Typical day starts with figuring out what department of the store will need support for the day. My day is break into 2-hours, 4 sections, and I would spend the specify amount of time in grocery, produce, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is being about to work with great coworkers. The culture is focused on giving an excellent customer service to all.
Pros
Free products and foods.
Cons
Scheduling.
May 7, 2019
Thanks for your thoughts! It's always good to hear what a typical day looks like and what you enjoy.
The Co-op perpetuates a culture of reinforcing greedy behavior in its customers, so that demanding, rude people are rewarded for acting rude. The hours are retail hours, for the most part; unless employees are fortunate enough to get a rare mid-shift, they arrive at 5 or 6 AM and work for 8 hours, or arrive around 2 or 3 and work for 8 hours--you either have to get up super early or stay up super late. There are plenty of nice customers, of course, but a disproportionate amount of time is spent helping people who are almost definitely suffering from a severe disorder listed in the DSM-V. They are convinced they know everything about why they can't have the tomatoes in a salad, and ask that you avoid them; they ask if foods are "free range" without knowing what "free range" means; people have even brought in stool samples to ask wellness clerks, who are paid around $13/hour, to get a diagnosis. The redeeming factor of the Co-op is the workers, most of whom are kind, have lots of personality, are unique and quirky, and often quite intelligent.
Pros
Sometimes free food, fun co-workers, good products to sell
Cons
Expensive, not enough compensation to live in Sacramento, no parking
July 17, 2018
Thank you for your input. We're happy to serve a wide variety of customers and it's important that everyone who works here are genuine individuals!
Love the location and produce. Play by the rules, don't challenge or offer improvements and all will be wonderful. Truly enjoy the reach out to local farmers and offering their product first.
July 17, 2018
Thank you for your feedback on your experience with the Co-op. We are fortunate to have such a great location and to have worked with local farmers for generations to bring great local and organic food to our community.
The Co-op may have been a good place to work in the past, but not since they moved to their current location on R street. They have gotten away from the philosophy that they originated with, namely collective teaching about and sharing the benefits of healthful eating and sustainable, environmentally friendly production of foods and health and beauty products.

Now, with their whip cracking and cut-throat employment practices (they have fired people left and right since their grand opening, often for little or nothing) they might as well be Walmart.

One good thing that I can say about the place was that for the most part, I worked with a very friendly and helpful group of people.
Pros
The offer a lot of useful information about natural foods, really liked my co-workers.
Cons
no employee parking, management constantly spying on employees through surveillance cameras.
July 17, 2018
Thank you, it's good to know about your experience at the Co-op. We are happy to have such a positive team committed to working somewhere that aligns with their values in service of our community.
I enjoyed my time at the co-op. I had a great manager, and the benefits were quite good. However it's a tough place to get in and out of, they also had no employee parking. Overall, it was a good place to work.
I loved my time at SNFC. It is for the most part a casual, comfortable place to work. Department managers have a lot on their plate but the typical employee is given pretty clear job duties and the work is relatively easy and nicely paced. The pay could be better but it is a small store. HR goes above and beyond to let the employees know how appreciated they are.
Pros
Great people, pretty decent benifits/ discounts
Cons
The culture is not for everyone. Can be a little too comfortable
Counting my till, going out to get started, walking through produce to see it anything was knew, keep my work area clean, helped the customer witch was great they were all happy.
I learned how to to do tar wait on the jars. My co-works were Great all free spirited. Hardest part was having to see customer not get what they wanted if we were out of produce or discontinued product.

most enjoyable part was the customers.
Pros
I lived very close to my work, an work was a happy place
Cons
Trying to relaxe on lunch
the food is great and the knoledge is widely available. there is plenty of room for advancement, free massage.
Pros
three free massages a year gainshare, and benefits are awsome.
Cons
hours are iffy