SACRED HEART COMMUNITY SERVICE Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Amazing work gets done here!
Welcome Center Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 17, 2017
You get to work with amazing volunteers every day. Most of the clientele are the salt of the earth people, very humble and grateful for the many services Sacred Heart Community Service Provides. Co-workers pull together to get the job done.
Pros
Work along side people with big hearts and a can do attitude. Also, free snacks most of the time and free coffee all the time.
Cons
Free snacks most of the time.
Gratifying Place to work!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 27, 2016
I have been volunteering here weekly for several months and I love it! Initially it was required for a class but I am going to continue volunteering outside of school simply for the wonderful benefits! The benefits of being able to work with a vulnerable population and provide for their needs! You always go home feeling happy that you were able to help many people that day!
Great way to give back to the community and help those in need
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 3, 2015
Typical day at Sacred Heart comprised of sorting through produce and creating food bags of essential items (such as bread, milk, canned goods, etc...) for people in need. There was no formal management, it was just a group of people eager to help out. The most enjoyable part of the job was providing food to those that were hungry, and also to the smiling faces of family members who we assisted.
Pros
Help the community
Great Job
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 4, 2015
With the mission of impacting poverty and changing lives, my service years at Sacred Heart Community Service were some of the most fulfilling and meaningful times of my life. The children and adults who participated in our education programs demonstrated strength, resiliency and hope while dealing with difficult situations that both inspired me and helped me to be grateful for all that I have.
Great volunteer opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 22, 2014
It was a great way to help those less fortunate by providing food, clothing and other items.
Great work place,...
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 17, 2014
I really love to work here, they taught me a lot and how give back to others. And the atmosphere was very busy, But that was Great! every one was kind.
Pros
offer alot of free services
Cons
short term job
Great place and people to work with
Weatherization Services Technician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 27, 2014
Helping low income families with measures that would help them save energy.
Pros
Great place to work at
Cons
no place for growth
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 5, 2013
Would assist customers by retrieving food, clothing, and miscellaneous items from Sacred Heart's donation bank.

The main skill I learned at Sacred Heart is the value of multi-tasking. Working in a donation center, we would be working with customers while filing reports on what they received, and also organizing and inputting data on new donations.

Management was very relaxed. Being a volunteer based organization, the management was mainly there to just make sure we were reporting on what customers were receiving.

My co-workers were all very much like my self. A college student looking to fill my time with something more productive than hanging out with friends. All of them were very polite and courteous toward customers and my self even when I was the "new guy".

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with irate customers. Many customers were low-income families, and if we ran out of an item they needed (such as bread) it was a big problem for them. When they would get angry at us, we had to diffuse the situation unless a manager was present.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide services to low-income families in my area.
Pros
Helped low-income familes
Cons
Unorganized Management
Productive and Fun
Administrative Support (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 6, 2013
The day is always busy with volunteers and customers visiting the office. I learned to multi-task quicker than before. I manage to satisfy a customer's needs without help from co-workers. The hardest part of the job is being familiar with the agency's needs. I enjoyed interacting the volunteers and customers the most.
Pros
Meeting awesome and interesting people
Good place to work with good people.
Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 28, 2013
I love to work at Sacred Heart, I have met so many different people and learned a lot from each of them.