Saddleback Valley Unified School District Employee Reviews

My SVUSD experience
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER/INSTRUCTIONAL AIDE (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAAugust 4, 2018
I enjoyed substitute teaching at the various Junior High Schools in the school district. I was always welcome at the different schools and had great support from fellow teachers and the administration.
Pros
Great facilities
Cons
No paid ben
Great place to work with Great People
Substitute Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJune 28, 2018
I was in temporary position. I covered positions that were vacant due to illness, vacation or leave. Wonderful way to learn many different job skills. I could be a Principal's Secretary one day or an Office Assistant the next day.
Pros
Varied job responsibilites
Cons
It was a temporary position.
Great school district
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAMay 7, 2018
I loved my job working with special education preschool age children. Great staff, and great benefits. Lots of support and training. Great family support from the community.
Productive work day with my kiddos
Instructional Assistant (28hr/wk) (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 22, 2018
Each day at work was very different and threw many challenges which is why I enjoy it so much. I am always on my toes and these kids deserve the world. I started off working 3.7 hours a day and quickly went up to 5.7 hours a day. I asstisted a child in daily activities which implementing lessons that the teacher selected. From 8-11:30 I was a 1-1 with a kiddo and from 11:30-2 I assisted the teacher with managing behaviors of the students in the classroom. There is a total of 21 students in the class all across the spectrum. I love working with these kiddos and I learn something everyday because of them.
Pros
Working and hanging out with the kiddos everyday. They make each day better
Cons
N/a
Saddleback Is Awesome!
Elementary School Teacher Gifted and Talented (Current Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CAFebruary 16, 2018
I love my position as a teacher for SVUSD. Collaborative environment. I have received countless hours of free training during my tenure with SVUSD. Every administrator I have worked with has been outstanding.
Forward thinking district
Instructional Assistant-N/S Special Day Class (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJanuary 2, 2018
Great teachers & administrators. A very collaborative environment for students, both general education and special education. Fun, quick paced environment with good potential for growth.
Meaningful and fulfilling work with lots of days off.
Instructional Assistant Special Education (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CADecember 8, 2017
Working with special needs children is both challenging and rewarding. Every day is different and you get lots of hugs. You also get lots of days off. The downside is as an Aide you can only get part time.
Former Effective District
Educator (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 10, 2017
This used to be a great district before they starting building up their reserves and taking compensation away from teachers and classified staff. The middle high schools and high schools are in a state of decay. Would recommend IUSD or CVUSD over SVUSD.
Kids are lovely, management is mediocre.
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAAugust 7, 2017
I worked summer and school year at The Learning Connection. It was a really great time with the kids, but the communication between the district and the sites is poor. We were very frequently understaffed. There's a high turnover of employees and they cut spots instead of refilling the spots they desperately need.

New management did not understand how difficult it is to run such a program while so understaffed. In the summer, to ease our issues with understaffing, they decided to no longer give us lunch breaks. If we had any break, it would be scheduled for the first fifteen minutes of our shift so it wasn't truly a break. I frequently worked ten hour shifts without having a minute to myself.

During the summer you are doing twice the amount of work that you do during the school year while recieving no pay raise or incentive to do so, so many staff just find other summer jobs.

The management needs to understand that many schools have more than twenty kids. It is much easier to work a small site than it is to work a site with 180+ children. It seems like they forgot how different the experiences between small and big are, thereby leading to tons of problems for the larger sites.
Pros
Kids are the best, nice coworkers, fun job
Cons
Low pay for work done, bad communication from district, little to no breaks, stressful, not a lot of upward growth
Enjoyable Depending on Placement
Substitute Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJune 8, 2017
It is extremely difficult to make enough money to make a living in this district. They have recently hired a new superintendent that looks very promising, however their past management has been notoriously subpar and unorganized. Most of the teachers are great to work with depending on where you're placed. Every school has a different environment. A lot of the instructional assistants are very nice, but don't keep a close enough eye on the kids when they are not being directly supervised themselves which can irk the aids that do.
Pros
Friendly immediate staff (teachers, principals), easy to work with your schedule
Cons
Awful organization in the district, and very low pay
District childcare program-The Learning Connection
Senior Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rancho Santa Margarita, CAJune 5, 2017
Well run before and after school program, very structured. Children's ages are 4-12 years old. The program is known for its kindergarten program, and the schools turn into summer camps in summer.
Amazing opportunity to start my own clinic
clinical Director (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAMay 15, 2017
I was given complete freedom, creatively, financially, educationally, clinically, etc, to design and run my own intensive behavioral intervention clinic form children with ASD for a school district. It was extremely challenging but even more successful. My proudest achievement to date.
Cons
I had to resign because I gave birth to my daughter in San Diego and could no longer commute
Overall work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAAugust 13, 2016
A typical day at work had me working the registers, re-stock food items in the lines, and re-stock food in the back kitchen. I learned better people skills and how to efficiently move/work when there is a lot of people.The people I worked with were incredible and very accepting. I would say the hardest part of the job would be to quickly and efficiently count the money and give exact change back with no help from the computer. The most enjoyable part was the people I was allowed to work with.
Pros
Free lunches, work experience
Cons
given being a student, I barely had enough time to work there(Only during the snack break and lunch break)
professional development
ELEMENTARY TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Rancho Santa Margarita, CAJuly 12, 2016
many opportunities offered for professional development of teachers. I enjoyed working closely with other teachers, collaborating and sharing ideas.
Cons
many disgruntled teachers due to districts unwillingness to settle pay increase
Fun place to work.
Playground Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAMarch 14, 2016
A typical day involves keeping the children safe, following rules and having fun. My co-workers are great. The best part of the job is being with so many great kids and getting to know them.
Cons
No chance for advancement. No chance for extra hours.
Great Place to work
Child Care Leader (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch Elementary SchoolJuly 23, 2015
Fun work environment that teaches you a lot about life and yourself. Lots of room to grow and move up and improve within the company.
Great school district and work place.
Special Education Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Mission ViejoMay 26, 2015
I worked for Saddleback Unified District for almost 3 years. In that time I was able to grow as a professional and as a person with the support of the great staff. Working in the school environment was such a rewarding job and I truly enjoyed helping the students further their education.
Great Organization
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAJune 14, 2014
Interfaced directly with staff and management.
Constant creativity required.
Site lead/ office assistant
Site Lead (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJune 12, 2014
During the day I would do office work which included, ordering crafts, buying supplies, snacks, putting together the site bags, creating month activities. Helped coordinate community events, such as easter hunt, christmas, halloween haunt, and summer days. On the school site I would lead my after school program from the ages of 5-11. It was a recreational program, but I did allow some homework time before and after the program activities start. I would have crafts, sport games, competitions, obstacle courses, parties, water days, field trips, etc. I had a blast with my kids!!
Pros
The kids were great, I grew as a leader and developed so many students in many ways.
Cons
Not consistent, not enough pay and management was not run well.
Typical public sector job
Paraprofesional Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAMarch 22, 2014
Typical public sector job. Very little opportunity for advancement of career goals.