Safe Harbor Crisis Center

Working at Safe Harbor Crisis Center: 29 Reviews

United States29 reviews

supportteammanagementjobworkharborgreatclient

Amazing job, great to build your skills

I love it. Still work there. Gives you the training you need to help patients during a difficult time and situation. The training and education opportunities are endless.

Great for building experience, but...

There are a lot of great things about Safe Harbor, but a lot of room for improvement. The agency touts that it takes care of its employees, but actually does very little to do so. Understandably, social work is an underpaying field, and such is the case with Safe Harbor. But for the workload, the pay is dismal. The way grants are distributed made it so some advocates had a 60-70 client load while others only had 15. Employees are given 2 wellness hours per month, but the parameters for what these can be used for are quite strict which can make the time difficult to use. Travel is seldom reimbursed, and with the agency having two campuses, travel is nearly inevitable. Middle management was wonderful; however, upper management was inaccessible. My team really only heard from her when we were doing something wrong, which harmed morale significantly. Most of the time it felt as though the wellbeing of the advocates came second to saving face and preserving the image of the agency. My supervisor was always so supportive of their team; however, it was obvious the undue pressure that middle management was under impacted their day-to-day functioning as well. Safe Harbor only offers unpaid lunch breaks and is even very stingy about the 15 minute breaks that employees are legally allowed to take. There is little opportunity for advancement and the pay raises are miniscule. I learned quickly that the way to share ideas and advocate for change is not to do it; there is always some grant or political reason it can't be done. Throughout my time there it became obvious that "problem children" -

Safe Harbor Crisis Center insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Maybe would be great for someone else, but not for me.

Safe Harbor had it's pro's and con's. They really wanted to implement having a balanced job/work life so you would not get so burnout on all of the caseload you would have. They also made it a priority that we took care of ourselves the best we could due to burnout. It was easy to ask for day's off at LPC, even if you are honest and said that you needed a mental health day they were really good about giving it to you. Although, there are some con's. I was eventually notified, since they are funded by grants, that mine was expiring, so my job position would dissolve (I guess this happens quite frequently). They said maybe there would be a job opening for me but they were not sure. I got my old job back and put in my two weeks because I did not want to wait and find out at the last moment to see if I had a job still or not. Once you put in your two weeks you can't use your PTO or Sick leave. I also saw how they treated some of their employee's and it put a bad taste in my mouth even though I did not get the treatment first hand. I feel like if you are a hard worker and do your part they will work with you the best they can. Also, I feel like you have to have a certain personality to work there and to fit in with others, but that may be just me.

Pros

Flexible, good Job/Life balance, supportive supervisor

Cons

Job position stability, beware when you put your 2 weeks in

Supportive place to work

Organization supports self care to work in a trauma based environment. They are also proactive for succession planning. Able to identify areas of growth and participate in opportunities to support goals

Amazing Company

Trauma informed and open to everyone! Wonderful management and training. I learned more in the short time I was with them than the last 3 years of work. The only thing that should improve is compensation. You are dealing with vicarious trauma and stress constantly.

Pros

Management, Self care, Rewarding work

Cons

pay

Terrible management and toxic work environment

Absolutely love the job itself and the client base, which is why it is so sad that it’s a toxic work environment. Would have stayed long term if not for the toxic work environment. Management was deplorable and HR wasn’t of much help with that at all.

Pros

Amazing job itself, good benefits, incredible client base.

Cons

Management. Lack of support. Toxic work environment. Lack of HR intervention.

High school mean girl management with horrible benefits

As low of a score as I gave, I did enjoy working there when I did. There were some incredible staff, the work we did was important, and overall it was very rewarding. The management on the other hand could be incredibly cliche-ish and if you weren’t one of the favorites, they would find any reason to put you down. There’s a lot of drama that went on that just became exhausting and boiled down to inflated egos. The pay is actually horrendous compared to other nearby agencies, and they just don’t have it together as an agency.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Bad management, low pay

Crisis work is difficult but rewarding.

I learned so much as an employee here and was given opportunities to grow and learn new skills. Fast paced, extremely rewarding, but vicarious trauma is common, and the organization encourages self care. Safe Harbor is an excellent place to work and they care about their employees.

Pros

Flexible schedule, room for growth, rewarding

Cons

Paperwork and high case load

Safe harbor

Safe harbor is a great place to work that offers a wide range of opportunities and experiences. The wellness program is amazing and helps make the hard days easier. Management is supportive and the teams are so helpful. Highly recommended!

Pros

Flexibility, meaningful work, training opportunities

Cons

Lower pay

Education focused supportive culture with individual autonomy

Within the last year Safe Harbor has made huge shifts with their leadership team, new hire onboarding, staffing overlap and expansion in the future. I am a self starter and have thrived getting so much trust and autonomy for my innovation ideas. Although like all no-profits they're rules by ever changing grant requirements, my leadership team has helped get creative with me to figure out ways that I can implement different ideas while still being in alignment with our requirements. Working within this topic of work can be heavy, so your self care, healing, and wellness needs to be a top priority to not burn out. I feel like I've made a real impact in my clients lives which is rewarding, and it's taught me invaluable lessons about letting go of the outcomes that are outside of my control.

Pros

Options to work in office and home when needed, Support in your independence with regular check-ins with leadership, A phenomenal staff and educational trainings.

Cons

Lower pay so you have to find fulfillment from the work.

Terrible

Not going to lie, the management here was terrible. This place is terribly high school clique-like and pretty mormony. Hired me then dissolved my position and made me interview AGAIN. I didn't want to kiss their feet either because...for what? The work crew bureocracy was kind of crazy considering how low they pay, BARELY a living wage. Also they overworked the shelter manager who was working a 3 person job. I get that this is a non-profit but there is PLENTY of grants to make a job like this a more valuable asset to the Davis County community. In other words, stay away from this place.

Positive hard-working environment.

I absolutely love the people at Safe Harbor and I feel so privileged to have worked with them. The Board and employees worked together to make a difference in the lives of at-risk youth.

Safe Harbor Experience

The team at Safe Harbor is very supportive and welcoming. The team cares about the clients they serve and about their employees. I have never worked at a place that promotes such a great work environment in addition to a wonderful work-life balance. This team takes a unique client-based approach and it is obvious that all staff members pride themselves in their advocacy skills and ability to support clients. It has been an amazing experience! I love that I can stand behind a positive mission statement that has such a great impact on the world. The organization supports additional training and for staff to learn and grow as an employee and a person.

n/a

The best part of the job is helping to support clients. Coworkers are supportive and there are opportunities for training and to grow different skill sets.

Safe Harbor Review

It is wonderful to be able to work with survivors of trauma and to help them with their goals. The staff is great and works as a team as we strive to improve everyday to provide the best care for those who come. The best part of the job is to see people become empowered in their decisions as they overcome their barriers and move forward. The hard part is still seeing people struggle as you strive to support them in the best way that you can.

Positive and Encouraging Culture

The positive and encouraging culture here is amazing! Everyone supports each other. Management, although extremely busy, is readily available and willing to discuss any issues or concerns, and to cheer you for your achievements!

Dream Job

I have been working here for a few months as a Resident Support Advocate and this is 100% a dream job. Management is great, hours are reliable and steady, the atmosphere is amazing, and the job is beyond rewarding, it is fulfilling! Lots of opportunities for advancement and growth!

Wonderful business

Great environment and great people. I felt like part of the team right away and valued as both an employee and as an individual. I highly recommend this place.

Company Review

Working for Safe Harbor has been one of the hardest and most rewarding places I have ever worked. The culture of the current staff and management is fantastic. Safe Harbor truly functions on a team basis and everyone pulling together to get the best outcomes for clients.

My number on choice

I love that everyone here has made me feel welcome. They have a very strong and amazing team here. I love that they give monthly supervision meetings so that I know where I need to improve. Overall I just absolutely love my job here. I plan to stay as long as they will have me. I hope I can move up within the company. In a typical day I do intakes and phone calls, I help with life skills classes, and client advocacy. I have learned so many things, especially how to be better trauma informed to give my best to clients. The hardest part of my job is when I want to help someone, but I just can't. Meaning we might be a capacity at shelter, or the client just doesn't want to aid in helping themselves. The best part of the job is when that client comes in and works hard to be the survivor they are and gets themselves to a better place that is safe and healthy.

Great Organization

Safe Harbor Crisis center is an organization with high levels of commitment to their mission with integrity and the community in which it works. Also, there is a high level of employee appreciation. The CEO and Directors want their subordinates to progress and grow alongside the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safe Harbor Crisis Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits