Safe Horizon Employee Reviews

This job served its purpose
Clinical Forensic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 13, 2018
This job served its purpose in my life at the time. I would recommend this job to others who are looking for exposure into a clinical row. This job is a great entry level position.
A good place to work and grow professionally
Supervising Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 22, 2018
The job was very fast-paced. It provides individuals/families the assistance they need while in crisis. The company provides many
training opportunities to grow professionally. The company also likes to promote staff from within the organization.
Pros
Continued Training for Professional growth
Cons
A fast paced environment
Working for Safe Horizon
Coordinator of Daily Task (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2018
Safe Horizon would be a better place to work if only they hired the correct managers. This is a company where most of their clients are minorities, but yet, most of their management are Caucasians from the mid west and not even the inner cities or just New York. How can management relate especially when their mission is "Moving Victims form Crisis to Confidence." Most don't have a clue about crisis and they turn their noses up at most of the clients.
Benefits
Cons
Pay Scale
Productive and Fun
Client Advocate Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 30, 2018
Typical day overall is very comfortable. It's a relaxed work environment with a lot of grounding activities for the employees to do during their shift at work.
safe horizon had a lot to offer
SUPERVISOR RESIDENTAL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2018
safe horizon have alot to offer this company helps you grow with your career. the only problem is the pay. the pay should be more with the amount of work we do.
Pros
you can grow
Cons
pay isn't that good
Very exciting place to work at.
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2018
Safe horizon was a nice place to work at. I enjoyed working there. If my hours could have been different I probably would still be there. I enjoyed every minute working there.
Professional Development
Shelter Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10027May 6, 2018
Great environment to learn and grow. Given autonomy to create the culture I preferred for my department. Overall worked with some amazing and dedicated staff.
I love my job
Domestic violence Victim Advocate (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 2, 2018
I love helping others. The work we do is important and I am elated to be giving back to society. Safe Horizon allowed me to do that through the work we do.
Productive and able to learn a lot
Senior Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2018
The day to day for me is pretty stressful. It can be very fast paced at times, depending on the number of clients I have. Hearing about abuse and trauma in itself is difficult, but it is expected working in this role. I feel as though Safe Horizon attempts to focus on "self care" a lot however I feel a lot is expected of staff that is not reflected in our salary. Most of the staff and higher ups are somewhat supportive, but there is also a great deal of micro managing and "because thats the way it is" answers. I have learned a lot but would not stay at Safe Horizon for too long.
Pros
understanding management when taking time off
Cons
lack of support, micromanaging, low salary
Agency is dedicated to help crime victims
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10007April 14, 2018
Worked in various programs at Safe Horizon's. The Domestic Violence Hotline the longest program I worked in, over 12 years. I had to work a 2nd job due to low salary, but otherwise I enjoyed my work at Safe Horizon.
Pros
Supportive management staff
Cons
Low salarie
Though I was not there for a long time, on the average it was a great place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2018
I believe if I had stayed there longer I would have had more opportunities for growth. Unfortunately the salary did not commensurate with my qualification at the time. However, their accounting system was fantastic which gave me added experience to excel after I have left. Safe Horizon had yearend activities at the time as well and were good at matching employee's contribution towards the 401K. Great.
Cons
Low salary
They care about their employees
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
Safe Horizon is a nice place to work. Staff is great and there is room to grow. The salary is disappointing, however it is good place for experience. They offer lots of trainings and different ways to help staff unwind from the hectic work life.
Pros
Amazing team, staff is understanding and over all a good environment
Cons
Can become a stressful environment, pay is discouraging
Great to be able to assist those in need.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2018
The best part of the job I had was the kids. Seeing there faces knowing that they were safe and they had a nice place to stay at. I developed a good relationship with those at HRA which always helped with my day to day duties.
Pros
Arranging the holiday activities for the clients.
Cons
Watching the clients leave.
Heavy work load with a lot of support
Senior Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 6, 2018
The Family Justice Center in Brooklyn has the highest volume of clients in the entire country. You are expected to see three new walk-in clients each day. You never close out cases, so your case load gets very large. There are so many different agencies and specialties at the Center, making servicing your clients easier.
The culture at the Family Justice Center in Brooklyn is somewhat like a family. We really look out for each other here. Unpredictable work can make the job stressful. Building meaningful working relationship with folks is priceless!
Pros
A lot of support
Cons
Crisis walk in center makes it very unpredictable
not a good place
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 8, 2018
safe horizon is not a good place to work they don't care about your heath or safe being they go against you in every way they can it is not a good place to work
Pros
Cons
all
Overall
DV Advocate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 26, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time at Safe Horizon. I had to move to another state. If they were open here, I would have stayed with Safe Horizon. You will enjoy the company.
I worked at the shelter on Staten Island, The Director is terrible!!!
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NY 10304January 18, 2018
I worked at the shelter on Staten Island, The Director is terrible!!! She is sexist and very incompetent. She is very bias and judgmental. There is an SRS there that is so unprofessional to staff and the clients. This shelter is in a position to help a lot of people there if some of the staff would just grow up and keep there personal life at home and not at work!!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything!!!
a good place to start
Senior Case Manager (Current Employee) –  BrooklynJanuary 10, 2018
Safe Horizon is a base to obtain experience while earning a degree. There is a lack of advancing in this organization. There is a lot of independent work since it lacks management.
Pros
easy/low paced environment
Cons
lack of advancement
The work environment is what you make it
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2018
You can benefit from the company if you take initial to learn all you can with the skill sets they offer. I have been working at Safe Horizon full-time. Pros. There are opportunities to grow within the agency, work with various agencies, and participate in ongoing training. Cons. The work environment can be negative at times and salaries are limited. Advice to Management. Have a positive and encouraging work environment.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
No pay increase to compensate great work ethic
productive work place
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2017
I learned so much at safe horizon. its a safe place to work. the co workers make it fun. the environment is awesome. the culture is well rounded . I work at safe horizon full time. I enjoyed my self