SAFEbuilt Employee Reviews

2.7
Ratings breakdown
Growing company with an outstanding value proposition
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIMay 31, 2018
SAFEbuilt is an exciting company to work for and they afforded me a lot freedom to do my job. As a business development manager I was able todeliver customized solutions that fit our customers needs.
Fun place to work with and in transition to create a more positive and enriching work place.
Business Development Rep (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 15, 2018
SAFEbulilt has tried to change our work culture and empower people to obtain new certifications and expand their education. They stated as a small company and have been growing ever since.
Pros
Bought Books for emolpoyees
Cons
Large company getting larger, loosing the small company feel and communication.
This company is terrible at taking care of their people
Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  ColoradoMarch 8, 2018
Look, management is terrible, their policies are made at the drop of a hat, and the communication flat out sucks. They expect you to take a heavier work load and just be a card signer. I was told that I need to do what I have to do to help them keep their contract. Total bs, lots of promises and nothing to back it up. I left a great city to work for this private company for money, oh and they will pay, but there is no true value in what I lost leaving a jurisdiction that values the person. Please be aware of that warning, they throw you money and feed you to the wolves, there is NO structure. And no value in their good employees. The office I was in went through 11 people in a short amount of time, turn over is high. Like I said they promise the moon and stars but interoffice management is more concerned about how they look versus how well they take care of their department and the city they work for. Just a bad company all around. And hey if you have no experience that’s your one stop shop, they have people inspecting for trades they aren’t certified to do so. Especially ELECTRICAL AND PLUMBING. Well at least Colorado. Hope this finds you well.
Pros
Vehicle
Cons
Everything else
Great Culture
Chief Building Official (Former Employee) –  Lincoln park, MIMarch 4, 2018
Served the community. Worked with the city personnel. Worked with architects. Worked with engineers. Worked with developers. Developed a rental program.
Terrible place to work
Unappreciated laborer (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COFebruary 1, 2018
Big hiring wave followed by new CEO who is a hatchet-man. Minorities not hired here. Women are at a disadvantage, with skill and input either being dismissed or outwardly mocked in meetings. The best people are steadily leaving. The writing is on the wall for this company; pass up any opportunity.

Very much a "good old boys" club environment. Bloated promotions without education or skill set--it's who you know, not what you know.

I started working here under the founder. It was a different company and environment then--very collaborative and more of a family. Progressively poorer and poorer management created silos among departments. Management is also divisive--pitting department against department and playing "good cop/bad cop."

It's really sad to see a company tank so spectacularly and so quickly. I would never recommend working here and am actively looking take my educational and specialized skills and jump ship, as are many.
Pros
Flexible schedule for some departments--certainly not all.
Cons
Management, management, management.
Permit Tech
Permit Technician (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GASeptember 6, 2017
This company does not back you up. They will not train you correctly and expect you to know things they never taught you. It is a hostile work environment. The worst job that I've ever had.

Please do not go with this company, they are corrupt to the core.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management, distrust, benefits, environment
Growing company
Building Inspector (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 22, 2016
Company is growing at a very fast pace. If you can deal with some growing pains, it is a great place to work. Good support from supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Car, gas
Racist Company !!!
Code Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAAugust 1, 2016
If you are a minority please pass on this company. Racist company !!
Very poor managers in the Safebuilt Roswell office. Also the Regional manager for Georgia has created this culture.
Cons
"A TERRIBLE company to work for"
Code Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 9, 2016
Safebuilt code enforcement supervisors have terrible management skills and definitely should not be in the positions they hold!!!!They lack professionalism and people skills. They discuss your personal business with other employees on a regular basis. Neither of which know how to provide you with proper guidance and feedback in order to help you become more efficient/effective in conducting your job duties. They treat employees and some clients with little to no respect!!! Your day depends on the mood of your supervisor and your opinion as an employee DOES NOT MATTER!!!! Directives on how to do something changes day to day. Communication is horrible, especially when you are in the field and need guidance on a situation...they never seem to be available. The supervisors seem to thrive off of tearing people down!!!! One code enforcement supervisor in particular has worked in two jurisdictions;both of which no longer have a contract with Safebuilt.

Upper management is not much better!!!!!!!!!!!!! They support the supervisors whether wrong or right!!!!!!!! This organization is very unorganized and poorly ran when it comes to code enforcement!
I DO NOT recommend this company for employment!!!!!!
Pros
take home vehicle, I pad, and cell phone
Cons
poor management
A hovering and distrusting management
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COApril 16, 2016
This is a company that went from providing its employees with autonomy in a trusting environment to demanding accountability for everything they did in a rigid and top-down environment. It used to be a fun, team first kind of place and now everyone shows there, keeps their head down and hopes they don't get picked on or kicked out for something. Talented co-workers want to do great work, but the toxic environment keeps everyone to themselves. The CEO is the one good management person left in the building.
Pros
Company car and other great tools like an iPad.
Cons
No breaks due to the nature of the work
Poor management on the employee level.
Employee (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 12, 2016
The company suffers from a severe communication problem. Majority of feedback from immediate supervisors was only negative. The management style was erratic, angry and most times dictatorial. Prior experience and differing opinions of employees was met with "we don't do it that way".The mood in the office differed from day - to -day and sometimes hour - to -hour. Double standards were commonplace. Little to no room for advancement and a definite hierarchy based on time in service vs. experience and qualifications. Lack of support for employees and a runs down hill application of blame coupled with a I/my department accomplished this.
Very good place to work.
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIAugust 10, 2015
Inspect buildings for code compliance. Demographics of some places can be a challenge.
The best part of the job is the many people you throughout our day.
Pros
Many perks; take home vehicle, cell phone, Ipads
Cons
Work load