Safety-Kleen Employee Reviews

Would never recommend someone to work for this company!
Branch Administrator (Current Employee) –  West Nyack, NYNovember 12, 2018
A typical day at Safety-Kleen. I was hired for Administrative, i now have the responsibilities of management work. Along with access for management computer work.; being that i am told my service management is overwhelmed. Not respected, paid very little. Not able to support my children and family on the salary. Some have gotten raised due to being told, they are a large asset to this company. I am not doing other people's job as they are entitled to raises and overtime, and i am told I am not. Never worked for a company in which i feel like a slave.
Cons
Terrible health insurance for employees, no raises in 5 years. No growth!
Clean Harbors
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95828October 17, 2018
I was not surprised when Clean Harbors bought Safety Clean, The branch in Sac is poorly run by the GM and they choose to down size the entire sales team and focus on the drives doing the selling. That did not last. Their driver work long hours and are Salary plus commission with no over time unless the GM approves it. But they work more then 10 hour days.
Pros
Good money
Cons
50-60 hour workweeks not OT
Not a very Retirement Friendly company to work for
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAJanuary 1, 2019
Although the actual work is not hard, the structure of the internal business makes it difficult to succeed as a company. The safety record is amazing and the employees attitudes are manageable.The pay is good but there are no above average retirement benefits.
Pros
Pay, Location, Attitude
Cons
Retirement Benefits, Mid Level Management
A good company to work for
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2018
I learned a lot about analyzing chemical waste. I developed organizational skills there. They offered a gym membership to employees. The company had a 401K for employees along with a percentage 3% match
Pros
Had a good work atmosphere
Cons
not much opportunity for advancement
Safe and rewarding place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCMay 15, 2018
My time at Safety Kleen was goal oriented. We would go to customers locations and sell and maintain our products and equipment.
I began on a route truck as a sales representative and worked my way up to manager in a three month period. They reward hard work and excellent sales. We were trained well in all aspects of the job and worked well together.
The hardest part of the job was working with someone who did not care about his work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help someone succeed and do well for himself, the company, and his family.
Pros
Health benefits, good managers, good trucks and equipment
Cons
Long hours, dealt with dangerous chemicals
Long Hours
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 17, 2018
Nobody leaves until all of the work is done. Unfortunately that can lead to very long days, sometimes 16+ hours a day. Majority of the employees are on salary so that means no extra pay for the long hours
Safety Kleen
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLSeptember 23, 2018
Safety Kleen is a great company to work for the salary is wonderful great hours and the perks and incentives are worth staying for. It is a company you can grow with.
Pros
Salary, Incentives
Cons
Hours
It was once a great company to work for.
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-BarreAugust 31, 2018
A Great company. Now it is a completely different company bc of Clean Harbors. SK cared about investing back into its employees Clean Harbors doesn’t
Pros
Work vacation balance
Cons
401 K and benefits are non existent
Great company
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 19, 2018
Safety-Kleen is a great company. Also is a fun place to work, has great benefits, hardworking employees, met a lot of friends. There was a lot of freedom.
Regional Plant Controller (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 23, 2018
Easy atmosphere to work with limited computer software applications. Moratorium on raises caused people like myself to leave and pursue other opportunities.
Pros
Job was easy
Cons
Software
Rutterless ship
Sales (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 14, 2018
Operations and Sales managements teams work in silos. One team doesn't care what the other team wants or needs. Often at 180' opposition of each other. Witnessed outright intimidation or bullying by office personnel and management did nothing after brought to their attention. I couldn't leave that place quick enough. Pay is way under market and bonuses are very small, if any. They only match 401k to $500 per year.
Pros
Health insurance.
Cons
Bad reputation in market, management, poor pay
Productive work
Facility technican (Current Employee) –  Dolton, ILJuly 25, 2018
Pay the workers more money you will get more quality work and happier workers and Pay Less on insurance and other benefits and fix the forklift and more equipment
Pros
They give you a job
Cons
Only lunch break
Terrible place to work
Market Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  USJune 25, 2018
Do not work here. Management has no concept of a life outside of work. Benefits are not worth the aggravation of working here. Unless you're part of the buddy system you will never get promoted.
Low Morale / Poor Workforce Management
Sr. Buyer - Logistics Support (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 11, 2018
SK was bought by Clean Harbors in 2012, and since that time work conditions have suffered. We haven't had raises in over 4 years. There is no 401k matching. Health & dental benefits are average. Little or no direction from upper management.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
No raises, no 401k matching
WAREHOUSE/ DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 4, 2018
You can get a lot of overtime at Safety-Kleen like 12-14 hour shift. They provide uniforms great benefits,fuel card, and work boots twice a year. Great discounts also.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Sometimes Saturday work
good place
General Clerk I (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 26, 2018
Fun workplace good benefits flexible work hours very productive nice place to work good training I enjoy working with people and helping them solve their problems and concerns
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
great place to work
Routing Manager (Former Employee) –  West MifflinOctober 9, 2018
Only left this job because I found something closer. Very good place to work, everyone works as a team. Management and Customer Service Reps are very respectful of support staff.

Good work/life balance, no weekends or holidays.
Pros
Paid well, friendly environment
Cons
too far away from my home
Lies and false promises!
Blended Oil Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 28, 2018
Safety-Kleen lures you in with false promises. January of each year Management changes the terms and conditions of your pay schedule. If you’re a sales person you have to work harder and make less money.
Exciting company- Never doing the same thing twice
Branch Manager III (Former Employee) –  South DakotaOctober 15, 2018
Excellent company to work hard for, your hard work will be rewarded with advancement opportunities. Good leadership team, to much focus on CRM tool in the sales division
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Big Brother is watching
Industry Leader With Lots To Offer
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Vinton, VAAugust 23, 2018
I liked working with my customers face-to-face the most. However, that type of interaction with the customer is no longer encouraged. Once the initial sale is made, we are to primarily use electronic communication. This company has a great line up of products and services and, as such, makes it easier for me to sell.

These days, there is a lack of leadership locally and the sales team is constantly being pulled away to help in the daily operations of the branch, which makes it more difficult to focus on sales.

The hardest part of the job is the intercompany struggle to get projects completed. There is a surprising level of competition between departments for revenue that make cooperation to accomplish a task near impossible. The company is way top heavy in management.
Pros
Top quality service and products in the industry.
Cons
Too much micro-management. Not allowed to be creative.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safety-Kleen. Our community is ready to answer.