Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 8,699 reviews matching the search See all 10,080 reviews
Entry level job for teenagers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sammamish, WASeptember 21, 2018
Only recommend courtesy position for teenagers in or just out of high school. Possibly a college job. Under paid and no fixed schedules so can be highly unreliable.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Random Schedules
Working for Safeway
Online orders/deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CASeptember 21, 2018
A typical day at Safeway was fast pace very stressful. I learned that some people in management need to take classes to help them be a better manager and worked better with their employees. The workplace culture. The hardest part was being rush to complete customers orders. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people everyday and working with some nice co-workers
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
A very stressful environment
It was very stressful and management did not communicate
Deli attendant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 21, 2018
In my particular experience I found the area of the store I was placed in was very poorly managed and everyone knew it. Though the upper management tried to help with more people the department manager did not train, they did not seem knowledgeable of the department and how to create a less stressful environment for the employees, and the two shifts were quick to place blame on the other rather than try to work together to run the department more cohesively. Often the department was understaffed for the workload and it caused a obvious strain on the employees to stay on top of the tasks. Over all the workplace was quite negative. Though there were a few wonderful employees many that I dealt with were disgruntled to how management handled issues in the workplace.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
understaffed for the workload and poor management
Relaxed environment, untrained management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 20, 2018
I really enjoyed the job and the environment. I had hoped to continue my employment for many years. But a manager of a different department was promoted to the front end without being properly trained and did not appreciate the methods I had been taught. Overall, the company is great if their management is trained well.
Very calm nice working place with amazing employees!
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  East Wenatchee, WA 98802September 20, 2018
A typical day of work at Safeway can be fun or stressful but thats where your co-workers come in and help out and make everything better and its always fun days cause we would make jokes , laugh, and always help each other and always make work fun to go back to the next day!.

I learned a lot of good qualities from co-workers.

The management is always there when you need them and their always nice and can help fix your problem.!

Safeway is a great environment and is very friendly and every worker is there for you to help with anything.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers that wouldn't listen but eventually we would handle it properly and end up leaving happy.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know my co-workers and working with them it was really fun and relaxing!.
Pros
Management/customer service is great very nice.
Cons
days to request off is sometimes hard but not bad.
Safeway/Albertsons
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CASeptember 20, 2018
Safeway Inc was an excellent company while I was there. My position was eliminated when the Albertsons investment group took over Safeway and moved its headquarters to Idaho. Not sure how it is now under new ownership.
Stressful and poorly managed environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Woodburn, ORSeptember 20, 2018
Employer(s) are demanding, which creates a stressful workplace environment, hours are inconsistent, and there’s little to no chance of advancement within the company.
life at Safeway
Frozen Foods Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 20, 2018
working for Safeway is not challenging, It can be stressful at times when corporate come into the store. but overall very easy. I managed the frozen department, high expectations.
Pros
flexible
Cons
stressfull
inside the warehouse
Selector Helper (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 20, 2018
• Select merchandise for shipment and stack on pallet neatly by using a pallet jack or fork lift.
• Correctly label product so that label can be seen on the outside of the pallet.
• Use a headset or pick sheet to find out individual items inside warehouse.
• Recognize each pallet by route number and batch number.
• Carry out pre-shift checks of equipment.
• Perform vehicle safety inspections visually and operationally.
• Report any insecure vehicles to shift supervisor or maintenance staff.
• Breakdown and restack merchandise from pallets during random audits.
• Verify quantity of the products.
• Ensure items pick accurately and safely to prevent damage.
• Inform administrator of any difference in quantity or product description.
• Maintain a sanitary and safe work environment.
• Keep work area tidy by picking up scrap wood, paper, plastic wrappers, and broken pallets.
Toxic environment
Finance (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 20, 2018
If I ever regretted working at a place for so long, it would be this toxic company. At first it was ok, good benefits then it went down hill from there. Management was extremely bad with so many top level changes every 2-3 years at the division level. It was so stressful. They expected you to work 7 days a week for a paltry pay.

Racism, nepotism and overpaying unqualified employees is very common, genuine hard work is not appreciated but exploited to get favors and promotion from top management. I could be at church on a Sunday morning and I will be called to send reports that could wait til Monday. They overpaid their cronies who hardly did anything and ignored the "undesirables". Imagine a "manager" who can't add 2 cells together in Excel but getting 6 figures a year.

Basically, it's a bunch of high school graduates who got upward mobility via the wrong ways so they feel threatened by anyone with higher education so they suppress them. There's nothing new to learn, the work is boring and routine and upward mobility is reserved for family members or cronies.
Pros
A job
Cons
Everything else other than a paycheck
Safeway
Food Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 20, 2018
I started at Safeway when I was 17 years old when I was in High School. I started out as a Courtesy Clerk/Sacker then worked my up as a Food Clerk/ Cashier.
Pros
Hours varied every week.
Cons
Pay was good.
Coworkers and customers are great people to work with!!!
Front End Checker (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 20, 2018
I enjoy working at Safeway, sometimes you have to lift heavy items and that can put a strain on your body. Also standing for hours on end can be tough. Sometimes the best part about going to work is knowing that I get to talk to people all day, you eventually build a relationship with each customer and you feel like your part of their family.
Pros
In the summer the hours are slim alot of the time as it's a slower season.
Cons
Manager is so nice!!!
Great Place to Work
Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, CASeptember 19, 2018
I would love to keep working at Safeway/Albertsons company until I retire. I like the grocery store setting, where the customers just come in and shop around while their prescriptions are filled. Also a huge plus is the lack of drive-thru (it may not be every store).
.com was very fast work witch I liked
Home Shopping Personal Shopper - Dot Com (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VASeptember 19, 2018
I like to come in a job and already know what to do as soon as you come in and don't even notice the time go thru the day is very busy at all times that's a good thing
Pros
5%discount
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDSeptember 19, 2018
- Gets bust at certain hours of the day.
- Learned how to properly bag groceries.
- Managemement was fun to be around.
- Hardest part about the job: dealing with mean customers on the job.
- Most enjoyable part about the job: bagging groceries and visiting with customers.
Pros
Easy money.
Cons
No benefits.
Safeway is a good company
Journeyman Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 19, 2018
Some responsibilities were to greet customers when entering and leaving the establishment, handle cash, credit or check transactions, issue change receipts, refunds, redeem stamps and coupons. Customer service was my favorite part of the job.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Short breaks
Deadend job
Slave (Current Employee) –  SeattleSeptember 19, 2018
This is one of the worst companies to work for, if you want to work here for 13 years and live below the proverty level then apply. The back of the house is unorganized and dirty. That is were they store your food. 90% of the employees don't care about the customers, they care about just having a job. Poor management, poor quality and poor judgment . Try another merger to bale you out of this deadbeat business.
Pros
Good Produce
Cons
Stressful, Dirty employee lunchroom, bathroom
the slow paced work place
Courtesy Associate (Former Employee) –  Edgewater, MDSeptember 19, 2018
a typical day in safeway I would make sure all trash was taken out from the shift before mine, make sure the restrooms were clean, retrieve carts from the the parking lot, clean up any spills in the store, and work any shop backs.
My experience working at safeway.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2018
My typical day at work was usually unorganized. Being as though things were not always not complete on shifts before mine. I would have to finish or pick up after an earlier shift over all it was pretty smooth. I learned how to multi task , triple task at times when it was busy. Also made me better with my time management and people skills. Management was leiniant on their shifts sometimes inconsistent. Usually it was a well managed day they managers were there if you needed help or was confused on a certain task. Work culture was pretty consistent the environment was well managed the employees were nice and they seemed pretty focuesd on thier job. The hardest part of the job was dealing with an customer who was out of control and saying things that were not too nice and not telling the truth to others. The most enjoyable part of my job was going in and seeing the smile on the customers face when u interact with them. Even informing them on some information was pleasing on a dail basis.
Pros
High energy customers & employees
Cons
Short slow days, Cleaning up after others who didnt complete their job
Not good.
Courtesy clerk (Former Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CASeptember 19, 2018
I disliked this job. The manangers were alright. It’s a great store it just didn’t suit me personally. Managers weren’t always cooperative at times. But other than that it was fine
Pros
Cons
Manger wasbad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.4K
43K
32.8K
21.1K

See reviews about

Diversity score

60out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Safeway.

Powered by Comparably