Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 8,221 reviews matching the search See all 9,529 reviews
ok
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2018
Managed and led a high performing sales floor of 90-100 sales agents and 6 Supervisors to meet/exceed performance in conversion, unit attainment, quality assurance, attendance and attrition.
Stressful
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJuly 15, 2018
Management need big improvement with appreciation of employees, they play favourites and there is a special group where you either belong or not. Change of management would be great.
Pros
Great co-workers for the most part.
Cons
management is not good at all
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Stevens, WAJuly 14, 2018
Safeway is only a good job if you cant find any other job to work at and or if you want to be treated like badly. They would rather save a few bucks then have someone help you on a shift. Would not recommend working there
Pros
its job
Cons
management and pay
Can be worth if you like your co workers
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 13, 2018
Typical day is stress full. Scheduling is whack. Department manager unable to set an example. Customers are nice. Hardest part was remaining optimistic.
Pros
good wage
Cons
neglectful department management
Good experience, but has its' flaws
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAJuly 13, 2018
My experience working for the Safeway company was, in itself, just fine. I did have some issues learning the skills at first but many of my co-workers were willing to assist me to get the order right and to make sure the customer was satisfied. However, I was not told of some complaints made about me; nor was I given a chance to rectify said complaints through my own actions.
Pros
Good experience, Helpful co-workers, Plenty to learn
Cons
Management lacks communication, Easy to make mistakes when rushed
Detail Oriented but fun
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAJuly 13, 2018
The workplace culture there was very comforting. when I worked there it felt like you were apart of a very big family which made it easier when conflicts came up because they were resolved immediately.
Pros
Flexible with schedules
Cons
Slow, but can be fast paced around the holidays.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJuly 13, 2018
I think Safeway was a great company to work for. I do also think that the managers have a lot to do with your success with the company. If you work hard and are dedicated for minimum wage, you will do great.
worked hard for nothing
Bristra, customer service (Former Employee) –  Guerneville, CAJuly 13, 2018
I liked it was close to home. the only down fall to the Guerneville store was the manager she didn't know what she was doing and she would promise you a job in the store but never follow through. she played a lot of mind games for my taste. She told me I was hired at 12.50 an hours and got paid 10.10 an hour. I complained but she always had a excuse n blamed corporate. I called corporate and talk to a lady in HR n she never did anything about it. she said she would call manager but it seemed like the way she talked her and manager were friends so I knew it wasn't going anywhere. I was there everyday on time and worked. I learnt all area of the different departments and told me by manager that I would become a night manager she needed one and that never came about so I got tired of it all the lies so I quit not knowing that she would quit about a few months later. if I had an idea she would quit I would of stuck it out.
just rating the Guerneville store no other Safeway store.
Pros
New management that has fresh look without influence from employees
Cons
Stop the politics in the work place
Safeway
Home Shopper (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAJuly 13, 2018
Very little work
Management is out for themselves will throw you under the bus
long working hours little pay
You are stuck in a position with no Advancement and you start out with the lowest pay and it literally takes years to make the max pay at 10c a year.
Pros
Cons
little pay, long hours
Fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZJuly 13, 2018
Would recommend someone there. It was not a very stressful job and enjoyed the time I was there. I would say the hardest part of the job was learning all the the different things we had to do but quickly caught along. Overall it was a great work experience.

Want to know more about Safeway?

Ask a question
Don't work here unless there are no other jobs.
Produce manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 13, 2018
If you want to be bullied and treated like you don't matter, then work for safeway. Management has no experience and has no people skills at all. Worst corporate team in American business.
Pros
Heath benefits, pension
Cons
Everything else
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 13, 2018
Great benefits, great people, fast paced, stressful, high standards for customer service and work product.

A typical day consists of breaking a load, putting product on the sales floor, rotating product, cleaning, helping customers, ordering more product, forecasting product needs, supervising employees.
Cheerful Customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rehoboth Beach, DEJuly 13, 2018
The customers were the best part of the job - I truly miss them. The management was the worst part of my job. I really liked my co-workers and enjoyed operating the register and even bagging.
Pros
10% off Signature brands
Cons
I had no healthcare.
Salaries low
PAYROLL UNION CONTRACT LEAD (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
Pretty busy place at the Employee Service Center. Payroll for union and nonunion employees. On line classes and easy going manager as long as the work was completed correctly and on time.
Pros
Good working environment
Stressful place to work
Manager 3rd Person (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, AZJuly 12, 2018
Willing to bump up quickly
Bad management
Display building and ordering
Family oriented
Good job
Cashier/ PIC (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 12, 2018
I was a little 18 year old girl going through tough times and they were there for me. I wish I wouldn't have left because I'd probably be in a management position by now.
Pros
The chicken in the deli area
Cons
The pay
Excellent work place to learn basic customer service.
Food Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAJuly 12, 2018
Anyone who wants to learn how to handle yourself in a customer service setting, Safeway is truly one of the most excellent places to learn so. Safeway is always providing their employees with training resources that can be taken with them should they decide to depart from the company. Customer service is an excellent skill to obtain and master.
Safeway
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 12, 2018
I learn a lot working on Safeway. Mostly in the deli. I now have strong customer service. I work in Other departments. Bakery meat produce and. Liquor. Thank you
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Schedule making
Good job
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYJuly 12, 2018
Paid the bills. Did mainly just grocery stocking. Was using it as just a stepping stone job to get to the next job. Recommend working if you are in school.
fast paced and busy enviroment
Front End Manager/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2018
Managed between 25-30 employees daily, wrote schedules for cashiers and courtesy clerks, hired and trained new employees. the most enjoyable part are the customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K
42.9K
32.6K

Diversity score

60out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Safeway.

Powered by Comparably