Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 9,415 reviews matching the search See all 10,891 reviews
Good Benefits Stressful environment
Service Deli Manager, bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  CAJanuary 22, 2019
Very stressful, after merger company expectected alot out of management and gave you less help. But ultimately I cant complain they provided for my family for a long time with excellent benefits at minimal cost at this day and age for me and my husband and our kids. The benefits are still better than most places even better than city or county benefits. Ultimately you are still just a number to them though and are disposable which is sad.
Safeway
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 23, 2019
I would start my shift by rounding up all the carts and bringing them back into the store, then I would bag groceries, help customers to their car, open the liquor case, or walk the customers to a certain item in the store. I would then do the sweep log, where I walk around the store and clean up any messes that I come across and then log it on a paper every 30 minutes. When I closed I would have to collect all the garbage, help restock and, tidy up any isles that look messy.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Short breaks, and on feet the whole day
If you are a Pharmacist in Colorado - RUN from Safeway!
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  COJanuary 24, 2019
Terrible culture. Mgmt is abysmal, they are checking boxes and have no interest in supporting the pharmacists and pharm techs. All DMs care about is how many flu shots you give. 14 hour + shifts are not unusual (you don't get lunch and pharmacists don't overlap) because you can't do it all in a 12 hour shift.

So when you do the math hourly comp is terrible. This grocery chain has no idea how to manage a pharmacy and in the end patients are affected. In summary, the level and prevalence of incompetence at Safeway is really staggering.
Pros
Met some good pharmacists and techs
Cons
Management - and literally everything else
Relaxed environment, the pace varies overtime
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VAJanuary 26, 2019
I work at night, the nights are usually slow paced, and very calm. I learned many different ways to deal with customers, and how to treat them respectively. What I also learned is how to deal with money in a faster pace. The workplace is just like any other grocery store except you have your own personal space. Which makes it a comfortable environment to work at too. Hardest part of the job is the fast pace with the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when things get really calm, and empty.
Not a Successful environment wth poor management
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Vista Blvd spsrksJanuary 27, 2019
At first they make you feel wanted and give you praise. Then they cut your hours, and state corporate forced them. Never know your schedule until Friday. Planning doctor appointments are nightmares due to inconsistency in days. No family time. To get promoted you must go to nights. The night crew manager is unbearable. She expects you to throw 40 cases an hour plus face an aisle in under 30 minutes. check customers out, dump trash, and clean the back room. We are human not machines. Was constantly written up for petty things. Gave two weeks and never looked back.
Pros
Cons
Worked to death, criticized, zero values, and no consistent day's and hours.
The job was fast paced and was stressful
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJanuary 31, 2019
A typical day at work would be me entering to the department and looking around and seeing what customer needs my help first. Then I would help in the back most of the time take out the trash or wash dishes will my usual time of work. Management wasn't bad its just the communication between the department manager and the manager of the store was terrible and everything was all over the place. Hardest part of the job would have to be carrying heavy loads of stuff . Enjoyable part was if you actually got respectable customers lol .
Pros
you get a discount
Cons
no communication between the departments and the manager
Good for a First Job
Starbucks Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2019
Worked off the one on Camino Del Sur Store #3323 and Sarah (the manager at the time I worked there) did a HORRIBLE job placing people in departments. The reason why we had horrible sales was because we did not have enough people equipped in each department making sure that customers are getting in and out in a timely manner. The only reason why I stayed so long was for my coworkers who were willing to step in and assist whenever I needed. Overall, would not recommend this job to anyone unless they are desperately seeking their first job as a high schooler but even then you are taken advantage of.
Pros
Discounts on items
Cons
Poor Management
Stable and secure job with no drive or motivation to succeed
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fortuna, CA 95540February 4, 2019
This is a job that doesn't require much of any real skills as most can be acquired while working, but although work became routine and so it became easy to go to work regardless of the early or late shifts i was working. Management was difficult to get things through such as vacation or time off, but overall friendly and semi professional workplace.
Pros
Hour lunch, stable employment.
Cons
Negative customers, no motivation to work well.
Consistent with stressful duties and sense of community
FOOD CLERK (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAFebruary 4, 2019
A grocery store goes through many phases throughout the day: the methodical yet fast-paced preparation, constant maintaining of products, waves of customers asking multiple things at once, the consistent cleaning. It all wears on a person's body and soul after awhile, if it weren't for the strong sense of community among fellow employees. We enjoy speaking about ourselves as we prepare products for customers, sharing laughs and encouragements throughout the day. The management does their best to be open-minded and understanding. Overall, the work itself is not easy, but we get through it every day just a little wiser.
10 years
Personnel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, waFebruary 4, 2019
I have been with safeway for 10 years and i do enjoy it but the management turnover is rough. some managers make you feel good about your work and others accuse you of things without proof. typical day at my store is super busy and usual not enough people on staff. during my union lunch i'm still expected to answer phones and help people. i get called and texted on my days off without pay
Pros
make good friends, discount on food, coffee, benefits
Cons
being asked to work during unpaid lunch and breaks, managers accusing of wrong doing without proof.
Pros and cons to everything
Deli Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Orchard, WAFebruary 9, 2019
While I worked my but off to get promoted in a short time frame, there hasn't been any where near enough people in my department and no repurcussions for the current employees continuoully doing a bad job. So while we have vocalized for months we need people, the job(s) and too much of the responsibility falls on my shoulders. Due to call outs and not near enough staffing, my shifts are typically 9-10 hours apart. Currently, I have no life outside of my job and that's no way to live.
Snake pit envirnoment.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Washington StateFebruary 13, 2019
Toxic/snake pit environment. It is not what you know or how you perform, but who you know and how well you kiss ___. Lots of favoritism. Poor upper management. Stand on your feet all day, rarely get breaks on time, understaffed, no reviews or chance for time related wage increases, theft, and rude customers to name a few.. Having to deal with rude customers daily that take advantage of the situation meaning that they know that you can not defend yourself due to the fact that you are at work.
Pros
Journeyman Pay
Cons
Glass Ceiling
Fast paced
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 19, 2019
A typical day at work was fast paced throughout the whole day (unless night shift). I learned how to work with various equipment and different types of foods. My first job with Safeway; the management was great! However, when I transferred, the management lacked a lot of things required to run a successful store. I never really paid attention to the work place culture, but it seemed balanced. The hardest part of my job was trying to keep up with all the closing tasks while trying to please the customers at the same time. The most enjoyable part of this job is pleasing the customers and having the feeling of happy satisfaction.
Just a job!
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 19, 2019
Working at Safeway was a daily struggle. My store was understaffed and poorly managed. Hours were frequently inconsistent, which made it difficult to manage my monthly expenses. Department managers were friendly and attentive to customer's needs. Store manager had ineffective customer and employee relations skills.
Pros
Department managers, holiday parties
Cons
low wages, inconsistent hours, refused to work around academic and other schedule constraints
extremely high stress with no support
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2019
constant negative attitude from all employees and managers that creates a depressing atmosphere. No wage increases, and a constant habit of trying to give more work without compensation. Learned how to work under pressure and how to communicate with customers and coworkers to resolve problems with very little support from coworkers/managers.
Pros
minor discounts and a flexible schedule
Cons
erratic work times, very little support from coworkers
Either abandon the use of subcontracted employees, or make them share in the overall customer service at the deli.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAFebruary 21, 2019
I can only speak for the operations of the Deli. One of the biggest problem areas is in the sub-contracted section of the deli, whose employees bare no responsibilities for the deli To the average customers, they look like they're standing around and ignoring them.
Why were they always calling for me to help ring up.their sales, if the subcontracted people couldn't help us, why should Safeway employees, be made to help them? There is also a language barrier within the deli.
Pros
The comedy of it all!
Quality Assurance Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 18, 2019
Union place. No chances for promotion unless you plan on spending 25 years doing night shift. promotions are based on seniority and not ability. good if you want to put in time and stay there. you will struggle for the first 10+ years. once you move up on the seniority list you will be ok. Management will say one thing and do another. always get everything in writing and be clear and concise on everything you do because you will be called out on it.
Terrible
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 15, 2019
In the first year of being at the store the company went through 3 managers that all wanted to try different things. So every single time a new manager started, everything changed. The only reason why I stayed there for so long was because of my coworkers. But most of memories of working there are filled with the manager and the assistant manager and how poor they were at trying to make keeping the store at its peak a team effort. Wouldn’t recommend to even my worst enemy.
Day at work
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2019
The day starts as soon as one clocks in & walks in the room in -while working issues to best resolve customer issues.
From start to finish it is a busy department.
The morale of the department could be better as praise is rarely given. We work best by learning to handle the customer/store by listening actively assisting as best one can. The least favorite part of the job is the lack of praise of a job well done. The most enjoyable part of the people I work with.
Pros
Grocery discount
Cons
Lack of staff, drive to work
Good First Job
COURTESY CLERK & CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJanuary 25, 2019
A typical day at work as a Courtesy Clerk, you will clock in, sweep twice every hour, clean the bathroom once each shift, clean deli area, bag, help customers and collect carts through out your shift.

A typical day at work as a Cashier you will help customers, check the out, apply coupons, handle money, this job is a lot more intense than a Courtesy Clerk.

Although one thing I wish they would change is the breaks, if you work 8 hours you get two 10 minute breaks, if you work 6-7 hours you get one 15 minute break and if you work 4 hours you get one 10 minute break. You get barely any time to eat, go to the bathroom and sit down.
Pros
5% off National Brands, 10% off Safeway Brands
Cons
Short breaks, Hard to get certain days off, Schedule not very flexible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.6K

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight