Safeway

United States13,695 reviews

Found 13,695 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,078 reviews
groceryunionstoreclerkdelicourtesycustomercart

Sterile, bland at best.

Compared to chains, grocery pharmacy's a walk in the park. Having said that, often times it becomes too bland. Ok for those who like that kind of pace

Pros

Relaxed environment. Lunch selection because grocery store.

Cons

Not enough staff help when needed.

Overworked, no staffing

The pay isn't bad and the union is good, but staffing is an absolute joke. They can't hire anyone to save their lives and you are expected to do the work of often 3+ people.

Safeway insights

Based on 6,400 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Great co workers. work together as a team. Gets very busy sometimes. Learn a lot about book keeping. Wages were low but overall the atmosphere was friendly.

Decent Place

Good hours, friendly coworkers, plenty of shifts available. occasional overtime or extra shifts when people got sick. no discounts and no special parking

Fun work place, bad career

It was a good job while I worked there. Good people and possibility to advance in the company. Average pay. Would not recommend as a career as managers and upper management get fired quickly.

served its purpose for the time being

overnight breaking down pallets is the hardest part and staying awake. culture was positive and management was weird but cool. pay was decent for the work

Not bad at all for the money

Had a good time picking those orders and riding the pallet jack just make sure you keep hydrated and keep a constant pace or else you're toast buddy 😂

Fast paced

There's plenty of work in the daily life of a Safeway employee. I don't mind the company, but I also put up with a lot and am very flexible. They have high expectations but the people are awesome.

Productive and fun workplace

I very much thoroughly enjoyed every minute that I spent at the Safeway in Lakewood getting to stock the shelves where the grocery items belong. It was a hoot and a holler

Good place ,flexible hours , paid holidays , Sunday premium pay,work towards paid time off and sick leave pay, employee discount,opportunities for advancement

Payroll and management

I was shorted on my hours on most checks and when I brought it up was made to work less hours . Then the following week wasn't even put on the schedule at all.

Produce

The company is not bad. I started as a bagger and worked my way up. If you don’t need the money or the hours. It is not a place to work for. The people are nice.

Very miscommunication, lacking of understanding

I feel like there has been a lack of respect and priority I asked for Sundays off and they were flexible with it but decided not to due to my religious beliefs they have also blown me off about my disability not working with me on the things that matter instead they told me to " get over it"

Pros

Prices are amazing

Cons

The lack of care

Toxic management

You won't find better coworkers than the Chewelah safeway, but wow, the store directors are terrible. They'll put employees through borderline inhumane conditions just to get their top dollar.

Stressful Work Environment

Coworkers were great to work with, but management wasn’t great. Management was constantly breaking the rules, and I constantly had to call the union on them.

unstable management and short staffing.

my Safeway store staffs the location very poorly they have two cashiers on busy days such as Fridays and manger is never to be found. this store always is poor stocked always short of many items. while a location 3 blocks alway in the hills is always fully stocked and clean and fully staffed.

Pros

big store

Cons

looks like a prison with bars

This place is horrible. Specifically where I work.

The managers at unorganized and unprofessional, everyone is non flexible and consistently gaslights their employees. It's dogshit for their employees.

Cons

Mean people, mean managers that don't care about anyone, God this place is horrible.

What is the best part of working at the company?Awful company! They do not care about their employees!!What is the most stressful part about working at the company?They dont care about hours, pay or insurance. Lower management bullies the employees What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Terrible & stressfull. They want everything from you but dont care about taking care of their employees. They are very understaff by the constant quitting of employees. They expect you to do the job of 3 people and endure the frustration of the customers being frustrated and angry!What is a typical day like for you at the company?Stressful & very high anxiety. Over worked and under appreciated.

What is the best part of working at the company?this company does not fallow their own precedes and fires great employees that make one mistake at the drop of a hat. without looking at the whole situation and then they keep the horrible employees that make that mistake on the daily.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?no one cares about the little man in the company you can complain about something tell your blue in the face, but they won't do anything about it. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?the people are great the compline not so much.What is a typical day like for you at the company?working open to close because no one is willing to do more than they have to for a company who doesn't care about you and your pursual life.

good work environment, poor hours

Coworkers and management are nice for the most part and are very chill, the benefits are good however there was a point where I would get very poor hours a week even as part time, mostly due to over staffing or poor scheduling.

toxic work environment

there are managers that are hands on managers. However, there was a lot of favoritism. People have been coming in at what ever time they want instead of their schedule. They will make you come in even if you are sick. some managers didn't treat some staff with respect that same way they respect customers. they over work you. Some employees acted like they the managers always wondering what others are doing instead of worrying about themselves.

Pros

they gave good hours

Cons

rarely any benefits, over work you, managers didn't really care about employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.2
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Safeway with

Safeway reviews by popular job title

• Safeway