Safeway Employee Reviews

A nice place provide opportunites for the emplyees
Casher and Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 20, 2018
It is not a difficul work to handle. Customers come form different backgroud. Being a casher, I am able to meet, talk and learn from different customers. Manager will value your work and respect each employees. I am promoted to be a customer service and learn to manage money in the bookkeeper office. Colleagues are from different culture and places, we respect each other and get along well too. I like to work with different people since I could learn a lot from them.
Pros
fair pay and benifit offered
Cons
night shift and unfixed schedule
terrible work place
Floral Manager (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COApril 20, 2018
They switch managers every 3 months and they treat their employees very poorly and the union is no help. They favor certain employees and the spread of rumors and hostility between employees is unbearable.
Pros
Cons
a lot
Very welcoming job
HBC/GM Manager (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAApril 20, 2018
If you're looking for a first or second job this is a wonder place to learn and grow from, there's plenty of departments that you can develop and grow in. There is a lot of potential from working here
Customer Service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZApril 19, 2018
fast pace
that customer service is very important
the management was helpful when needed
hardest part is making sure that you worked quickly but not to make mistakes
getting to know your day by day customers
Terrible management and very low pay.
Closing Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lincoln City, ORApril 19, 2018
We were always underpaid and short staff. Management was never around except to tell you that you were not good enough. Hours were very low and pay was bad. It was nearly impossible to get time off without them cutting your hours.
Pros
2 breaks
Cons
Everything from pay to management.
I'll never go back to this company
Bookkeeper and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 19, 2018
My first job and the last job I'll ever work with this company. Calling it "Slaveway" is an understatement. Horrible management, horrible corporate employees, horrible store conditions, horrible hours all for the lowest possible pay.
Pros
Tons of hours if you weren't a checker
Cons
Literally everything else
Rewarding but very stressful
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 19, 2018
Ever since the merger there has been a tremendous amount of work to do with very little support from senior leadership and backstage support. This is mostly due to extreme cost control measures and the elimination of many support positions which made the retailers job easier.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDApril 19, 2018
They will always find something for you to do.
Not a boring job.
If you are a good employee, and you wish to move to another department within the store they will work with you if they have any openings.
Detail And Productive
Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 19, 2018
Clock in,Check schule then check all departments then restock candy or isles start given breaks then jump on cash register then open doors for delervy drivers then report to customers services desk to do numbers or money orders,sell tobaco products do returns or exchanges then enter the cash office and count and report all money in vaults,etc
Pros
discounts, breaks, enviroment, location
Cons
no healthcare
Courtesy
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 19, 2018
Have to help customers with retail. A typical day is usually very busy. The store has a customers shopping. Some of them complain. Managers follow the policy of Customer is always right

Want to know more about Safeway?

Ask a question
Productive and fun work place.
Food Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 19, 2018
Very nice place to work. You will meet a lot of people. You must be energetic. Always keep a clear head because there will be times when the customer won’t be happy but it will be your job to make them happy and want to come back.
Wonderful employees and managment. Great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ketchikan, AKApril 18, 2018
Safeway was such a wonderful place to work. The employees were so helpful and kind. We all got along so great and worked well as a team. The store was always very clean and well stocked.
Pros
Reward points
Cons
Short breaks
Stressful and Fast
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAApril 18, 2018
start work at 615am, get off at 4pm.
load and unload totes into truck, do a vehicle inspection report, check gas and oil, check for damage, check lights and turn signals.
very fast paced environment, with no time to take a break or a lunch.
it was likely to depart from the store late, because groceries weren't picked.
I loved working here, loved my manager and learned alot from him.
General Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Chino Valley ArizonaApril 18, 2018
I was the general merchandise manager and in charge of 2 people and was in charge of orders, stocking, credits, inventory,modules, ans all the seasonal and holiday merchandise and placement of these items.I never had a bad inventory and attribute that to having a great manager that cared and was available for me to ask questions and resolve any problems that arose.
Pros
Ease of shopping and questions answered.
Never viewed as welcomed
JOURNEYMAN FOOD CLERK (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 18, 2018
Having to consistantly look over your shoulder because of coworkers or Management lack of role, it made for a horrible experience. I made several coworkers but met very few friends.
Pros
Close to my house
Cons
Management sucks top to bottom
Advancement
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COApril 18, 2018
The store allowed advancement but the union kept people in positions that should not be allow to be in those areas for safety, customer service and reliability that prevented advancement in several situations. Union protected the wrong people and could not opt out when they did not protect you as a newer employee vs one that had been there longer.
Pros
Discounts, pay, travel opportunity
Cons
Unfair work environment, confidential doesn't mean confidential
Horrible
Fuel Attendant (Former Employee) –  American Canyon, CAApril 18, 2018
Working there was bearable. There was no set schedule and I'd often get 2:15pm-11:15pm shifts that would line up with 11am-8pm shifts, and the time between those shifts is ridiculous. Coworkers are a pleasure to be around, minus one of them. Management doesn't understand the severity of situations and rarely ever communicates with the fuel station, unless they call us. Hardest part of the job is customer service. Long lines, impatient people, and complaints are frequent. The most enjoyable part is working with my coworkers.
Pros
small discounts
Cons
management, schedule, morale
Day to Day
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 18, 2018
It can be stressful and exciting at the same time. You have the opportunity to advance it just takes a long time and you have to ask about it constantly.
i loved working at safeway
Food Service Clerk/Deli Department (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDApril 18, 2018
this place has an union which comes in handy when you have problems with the managers so you wont have no problems the only problem is the 90 wait period.
Fast-paced, but managers do not care about you
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Apache Junction, AZApril 17, 2018
I worked here for almost two years. When I was going to college in the fall, they reduced my hours to 10 a week, and did not tell me I could transfer. The one time I needed money, and they cut my hours for the whole summer. The management did not care about you, unless they had a problem that they knew you could fix. But that was just at my store.
Pros
Work is easy
Cons
Bad management, and short breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K
42.7K
32.5K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

60out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Safeway.