Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 8,998 reviews matching the search See all 10,414 reviews
sumary
Cashier/Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 18, 2018
A typical work at Safeway will have its up's and downs you will never know what your day is going to be like until you clock in and work a whole shift.
Pros
some good peopel
Cons
short breaks
Their nickname is "Slaveway" for good reason.
Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 18, 2018
At Safeway (and I use "safe" loosely), I was thrown into the most stressful environment of my working career. While the law says you have the right to choose whether you work overtime or not, you aren't given much of a choice, you will either be guilt-tripped into staying with the classic; "Well that wouldn't be doing ME any favors..." line, or they will keep giving you more stuff to do so you don't have time to look at a clock. The managers are greedy snakes who will purposely leave Night Crew, or the Courtesy Clerks understaffed to boost their bonuses (so I'm told/rumors swirl).

While breaking down the grocery load, I have many times almost been seriously injured by collapsing pallets of product (due to poor construction). The backroom is a consistant maze of disorganization, and little is done about it. The scheduling is an absolute catastrophe of epic proportions, Night Crew's schedule frequently requires calculations in order to understand, and the whole system is frequently changed.

Do not work here. Do not degrade yourself by busting your behind for minimum wage while the other guy gets to play on his phone for 35 cents an hour more than you make. The store I work(ed) at is a sad joke, where the store manager will tell you how "we don't make much money", while he makes more than the average attorney in the state of Oregon. Leaving this company will be like being liberated from Germany in 1945.
Pros
Co-workers at night were nice to work with.
Cons
Toxic management, rampant disorganization, a few rude co-workers, obvious favoritism, employee handbook violations are common place, etc.
Productive and Cleaness
Home Shoppers (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVNovember 17, 2018
Fast pace environment with a lot of movement going on, customer service is very important as well as the dress code. Early morning start, home by night time to spend with your family.
Pros
early morning start
Cons
hourly pay for this position as well as hours
fun people to work with
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORNovember 16, 2018
my typical day at safeway was stressful sometimes when i would have to go outside and get carts off the lot in freezing hot or even rainy temperatures but when i was working inside it was pretty calm when i wasn't having a panic attack every now and then. i learned how to bag stock shelves work in produce or dairy putting items away or on the shelf and how to tag discount items. the mananagment was pretty okay but there where times when the employees where not okay with a few particular people including trans . the workplace culture was alright it was pretty busy a lot of times. the hardest part was having to go outside most of the day and gather carts as well as trying to manage my anxiety. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work in the back of the store where there was not a lot of people around
Pros
discounted food
Cons
short breaks
Safeway
Night Crew/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 16, 2018
A typical day inside of work at a Safeway is filled with drama. There's no better way to put it. I have learned how to manage my employees and seek out there differences in how they work and retain information to manage them fairly within reason. Trying to keep my employees happy as well as the customers can be a challenge at times but I feel like it just takes time. The hardest part of my job would have to be not becoming to invested in the whatever situation is when it doesn't feel the same back... But at the end of the day I enjoy most of my co workers and a lot of the regulars that come in daily! It makes it a little easier to make it through the day.
Pros
Paid lunch, Paid Vacations, Sick Time
Cons
Healthcare, Employees at times, Fair Wages
Wonderful atmosphere
Hands on training
Overall a GOOD Company
My experience
Meat cutter and meat manager (Former Employee) –  Tarzana, CANovember 15, 2018
There a lot of positive people at this company ,but they are a few that make it impossible for you to grow and value you only if you are a brown nose I'm not a brown nose I speak the truth and some people can handle the truth I do miss working with that company but dont miss the store managers always belittle the employees and not showing a lead by example.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not enough respect for people that are. Not managers not showing appreciation to the little people.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 15, 2018
Co-workers were great. I was able to learn new skills. Did training at another larger store. Flexible hours. The store I worked at was very small I wished I could have been in a larger store.
Ethics
Asset Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 15, 2018
This is the worst place of employement in my career. Management is all men and treat women differently. If you don't conform to their un-ehticial ways, they will find a reason to fire you.
Pros
Cons
A lot
Not worth your time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 14, 2018
I worked there for a year and it was fun at first...then tables turned when management changed over. Everyone was getting on each other nerves and friends that turn enemies. It not fun at all.
Pros
Nothing really...
Cons
management is bad, not very good benefit as part time, and low paying at that time.
Compliments to the cook
Deli Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WANovember 14, 2018
The job by itself was alright but the management wasn't that great due to always having issues and not a solid manager. Or regular store management would have conflicts with employees months after they've been hired.
Friendly place to work with friendly people and a friendly atmosphere.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 14, 2018
I was able to learn a lot while working at Safeway, I was told to complete various tasks and when it was slow I would ask if there's anything that I can do to spend my time to keep me busy. The managers and co workers I worked with are friendly and patient with me and if I wasn't sure how to do something they would always be around to help me complete my tasks. I learned how to bag groceries, talk to customers, complete various cleaning tasks and also complete grocery carry outs for customers. One of the great things about working at Safeway was when I was called at the customer service desk to help a blind lady shop and then escort her to the deli for her ride to come get her. A typical day at work for me consists of managing the recycling room, pushing carts and bringing them into the store, doing carry outs for customers, cleaning, taking cardboard and hand counts to the back and bagging groceries.
Pros
Long breaks, friendly co workers, friendly atmosphere.
Working at Safeway
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85048November 14, 2018
If you have autism spectrum disorder, this job may find this job stressful if more ways than others expect. If you have trouble socializing with people, they will not bother to try socializing with you. Since this is a job where you will be working with others, you may notice little groups or "factions" of employees who stick together as friends. If you have autism spectrum disorder, you mat not be a part of any of that; this may turn out to be a stressful, isolating and depressing work experience for you.
Pros
Some employees are nice
Cons
Social anxiety
productive nice environment
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Placerville, CANovember 14, 2018
job is not quite hard just alot of rembering codes and tabeling things correctly, often time flys working behind the counter. customer service is everything, customer is always right
Pros
hour lunchs
Cons
lack of team work
Long hours, low pay
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CaNovember 14, 2018
You can do better, even for this area. Same starting supervisor pay for 5 years. Not adjusting to the cost of living in the area. Always hiring...not a good sign.
Pros
Big employer in the area.
Cons
Long hours for low pay. Experience doesn’t matter.
Safeway is a good job
Day Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Junction City, ORNovember 13, 2018
Safeway is a good job with good employees some benefits and I would consider going back. They are flexible with hours and will fit your schedule to your lifestyle
Meh
Litany of Positions (Former Employee) –  Healdsburg, CANovember 13, 2018
Meh. Benefits were not really there. The union was required and in highschool i really didnt need that. Plus the union provided well... nothing until just recently. Although the union probabl;y was able to leverage power as Safeway was losing money and power.
Cooperation Driven
EMPLOYEE RELATIONS (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTNovember 13, 2018
It was hard to make decisions when you are bound by a corporation located in another state to give input on an area they didn't know much about. You were left waiting for answers on decisions that should be a quick turn around time on.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
management never seemed to get along, unions were difficult
Don’t work for SAFEWAY you will be sorry!
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2018
Safeway only offer you 14 hour a week. You cook,clean,customer service, dishwasher,pot and pans,ovens
Customer are very negative, Safeway works hard
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
You are on camera 24 hours a day
Love it
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 13, 2018
I met the love of my life working at Safeway. It is a friendly and loving environment. Safeway is a family and a community of friendly workers who care about their customer's needs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.5K
43.1K
32.9K
21.1K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Safeway.

Powered by Comparably