Safeway
Coronavirus update
Information from Safeway:

Safeway Employee Reviews for Floral Designer

Floral Designer13 reviews
This company sold their 3 store locations, in Florida, to Publix, in July of 2018. They did offer severance pay to employees but did not offer relocation assistance to job locations outside of Florida, even though the company has a large number of stores all over the U.S. (Transfers were offered, but not relocation expenses!).
At first working for Vons was great. Now that Albertsons owns it, it has gone downhill.
The union is corrupt. They take your money but don’t back up the employee.

They are piling on more work. Don’t want to give raises.

Tired of the contract taking too long to agree to.
I lose sleep and I am miserable all the time due to this job hate it !!!! All they die is cut hours and make one person do the work of 3 people. Management is ungrateful never wish you a good morning nor a good evening when you go to them with an issue they are non compliant to your feelings or to the fact you’ve been with the company forever. They are very ungreatful of their aging staff and make them work as hard as a20 year old shame on you safeway -sobeys
Of their
Employees are treated fairly, fun atmosphere, Safeway provides a 10 percent discount on groceries to it's employees. Staff/Supervisors are friendly to each other.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
No advancement in position. Don't expect help in a department if you're overwhelmed. Lower management is nice, higher management is awful. Pay rates are incredibly poor and inconsistent between departments and employees. Ridiculous turn-over rate.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
I learned a lot... I was working in the floral department, i enjoyed learning the flowers, and how to cut them and process them properly. Management and co-workers made work enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was customers stealing. The most enjoyable part of the job was making arrangements.
I enjoy working at the store I work at right now however I can not make a living doing this job. There are a lot of changes with the company and it seems like there is always something that needs to be done differently.I am trying to move on to a new career. I have stayed with this job because of the medical benefits and I have been loyal to my co-workers when there is a lot to do.
I worked by myself in the floral department, and was able to create a lot of my own arrangements, as well as follow instructions per stores guidelines. Management wasn't great. Didn't follow through my my concerns to them. Hours were okay.
Pros
working alone-being able to create
Cons
bad management
cashing. making floral arrangements, oasis and vase and wet wraps. taking daily orders. helping customers with picking items to purchase. watering plants and cleaning them. the most fun part is making arrangements when we have the time. hardest part are on the holidays. so much work to be done and numerous customers to deal with.
Pros
no pros
Cons
bad uneven hours. do not have steady hours.
Pros:

Geographically desirable (close to home).

Enjoyed the creative aspect of working in the floral department.

Enjoyed helping customers.

Busy.

Decent training.

Career growth possibilities.

Cons:

No guaranteed hours so no guaranteed benefits. If employees work less than 20 hours per week they do not qualify for benefits like health insurance, and they have no control over the hours worked.

Management's main objective is to keep employee hours as low as possible, so the store was always working understaffed.

Punitive, fear based culture. Management uses fear tactics to ensure compliance, i.e. Fear of being written up for the smallest infraction (like your shirttail coming out, or working over your schedule even if you are helping customers); fear of loss of benefits; fear of loss of job; constant reminders that you are being watched at all times; huge department and store penalties if an accident occurs that requires an accident report; etc.

Low pay for skilled labor. Really terrible pay and virtually no benefits for part-time employees. And everyone was part-time except management. Safeway should be ashamed of the way it compensates it's hard working employees. Floral Clerks have the same job responsibilities and required skills as Floral Designers, plus cash, customer service, inventory, merchandizing, stock control, product maintenance and department maintenance responsibilities, but they are paid only slightly over minimum wage, with no guaranteed hours or guaranteed benefits.

Management has conflicting priorities and unrealistic expectations
 - more...
Pros
Creative (floral), busy, enjoyed helping customers, decent training, some career growth possible
Cons
Low pay, no guaranteed hours or benefits, punitive fear-based culture, conflicting priorities, poor management, nepotism and favoritism abound.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Safeway?
Typical day at work includes coming in, making phone calls for ordering supplies, making arrangements, customer service, cleaning, making displays for customers to see merchandice, being creative. I learned alot from this job, how to be creative, making ribbons, learning colors and making fabulous arrangements for customers. mamgement was great loved my manager. hardest part of the day was leaving at night because i had so many ideas. most enjoyable part was getting to know my customers and having them come back because of my designs.
Pros
feeling good about my job at the end of the day
Cons
competitors
I currently live in concord,ca but i am able to relocate if a job in the floral dept comes up.You may contact me via phone or email.I will be in the washington area between sept 7-21st.I could schedule an interview while I am there,if need be,thanks for your time in this matter.I am un-employed at the time and i am looking for work at this time.
I left the floral because of medical reasons and i had to unpack water and arrange flowers. my co-workers were nice the ones i would talk to more were the meat cutters. the hardest part of this job was the cold cooler. i enjoyed making arrangments.
Pros
lunch was an hour long, hours worked were close to full time
Cons
no help was basically the only one in the department