Safeway Employee Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Retail just sucks
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 14, 2017
In this job, be expected to be worked hard. You'll be hating your job by the 1st month. Not a very rewarding job but work is work. Would highly not recommend working here.
I am applying with great interest for a challenging position that will enhance my growth both personally and professionally.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 2, 2017
My experience has included opening/closing of store, visual merchandising, receiving shipments, counting inventory and ordering weekly foods and supplies. I assist the store manager in implementing store operations and monitoring cost performance ensuring cost does not exceed the authorized funding. I also train staff, deploy coworkers and delegate tasks so that we can maintain a clean, safe and positive environment.
In addition, I have worked on various communities’ organizing and outreach projects in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have coordinated a variety of special projects, ranging from fundraisers for community projects to creating informational packets to recruit non-profits, youth and faith based organizations.
store manger at 667 is a controlling bully
Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 29, 2017
co-workers are wonderful i love the work i do, but our store manager is a controlling bully who has not only yelled at me on the work floor with customers around but all employees in our store. he talks down to everyone and has created a very stressful environment. we've only had this manger about a month and our store has crashed with him there, our old manager had the store and employees in great shape we were like one big close knit family that all worked together. theres a separation now from the negative manager.
done
Grocery Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA In the Fillmore districtJune 22, 2017
Load groceries deliver return unload totes. To work with others at the store or on the road. Didn't know manager well had 4 in the 5 years I was there. The work place great people I worked with at the store, at the dock, in dotcom area. No hard parts about the job. the most enjoyable were the guys / Drivers I worked with. Was hard to be there 4.5 years and new people come in starting pay the same as yours they should have fixed the pay with time served
Pros
friends made
Cons
non
Worked As a Courtesy Clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 20, 2017
Manager was mean but has since left. I swept floors and cleaned the bathrooms for very little money. In addition to this I cleaned up necessary aisles when there was a mess. I made minimum wage.
Very rude employees and managers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2017
Got fired after a few weeks learning how to bag and talk to customers. The manager was very rude because everyone else was gone and she wanted one courtesy clerk to do all the work.
Bad sportsmanship
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 17, 2017
they claim to be a team but no one there is team players , management is handled poorly , great benefits from working with them but unsafe , dangerous environments
Only for the incredibly patient
cashier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 21, 2017
If you want to work irregular work hours and suffer through endless rude customers, then Safeway is the place for you. But they do have pretty good benefits if you are a full time employee
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
short breaks, few employees, incredibly busy, rude customers
Well managed
Lead Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2017
First job in pharmacy. Management always encouraging, willing to help out. Learned a lot.
You take in orders, fill, and cashier. On occasion assist in medication aisle for otc products.
Productive fast paced delivery service
Online personal shopper (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 10, 2017
I enjoyed working in the delivery department , even though it is a very early shift, it is fast paced there is never a down time you are on your feet 24/7 .
Pros
Free lunch occasionally
Cons
early morning shift 4:30am, pay check to pay check.

Want to know more about Safeway?

Ask a question
productive
Butcher Apprentice (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 6, 2017
The work experience was fun but some of the employees weren't on point and kept up with their job productions witch made working there kinda bad cause there were problems left and right
Pros
butcher apprentice
Cons
not to orginized
Is this the state of most major grocery food chains?
Cashier and other service areas (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2017
It was one of the locations considered as one of the worst in the city.
Always understaffed and therefor we are chewed out by customers on a daily basis about long 15+ minute lines and a lack of carts, baskets and so on.
Oh of course I can't forget the insane amount of daily theft by homeless people, druggies and various other shady people.
Safeway needs to have more of a loss prevention security system or at least change things so that security crews can legally defend themselves if they get assaulted by the shadies.

Pretty much here if this will keep a roof over your head and dinner on the table.
Pros
Jobs with low level entry, sometimes free food.
Cons
Forever Understaffed, good luck getting 40 hours a week, annually worsening benefits.
More of a job than a career
Wine Steward (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Working at Safeway was nice but it was a grind. It was very physical and tiring work. I feel like my education and wine intelligence was not utilized in the position. I spent more time with loading and unloading product than hand selling to customers.
Pros
Security
Cons
Blue Collar work
Its easy in somedays.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 28, 2017
High risk in traffic and work load sometimes is over limit with many heavy items to cary. Meeting the time periods sometimes could be a problem because late on loading and catching a major traffic especially in downtown area of the city.
Pros
Out in the field
Cons
Heavy Labor, deadlines, unstable schedules
Cool Job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 15, 2016
Bag groceries for customers and assist customers with finding or retrieving items. Respond to all customers requests and giving them what they want. Hardest part of the job is that it is a lot of walking. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping out people all the time.
Pros
short break
Cons
short break
Supportive Co-Workers / Communication Needs Improvement
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 27, 2016
I worked 10-20 hours per week, based on the store's needs.

I became more familiar with different products and brands.

On my third month new managers that came in seemed to generate widespread uncertainty among coworkers. As a result, there was some changes made. I believe this created a need for improved communication, in my case some confusion on my weekly work schedule. To be fair, I should have been more proactive in communicating with management as well.

The hardest part of the job is some of our customers complained about things out of my control (i.e. a lack of available shopping carts). Also inpatient customers who were not willing to wait for you to help them.

The most enjoyable part of the job, I met some great people (coworkers and customers alike). When I first started, many of my fellow co-workers were supportive and helpful. Some regular customers were very friendly and fun to interact with.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Flexible Schedule, Supportive Co-Workers
Cons
Softer Handoffs Needed during Management Team Changes
Really unorganized at the time
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 25, 2016
I love getting groceries from Safeway, as far as working for them was a complete mess. Way to much favoritism, and unorganized as far as what duties is assigned or how long our breaks were and there was no training, just went in head first. Didn't really like the job.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Very unorganized in schedule and duties
good place to work
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2016
early shifts available, good training be the supervisor to help me know the job abd duties that I would be doing, Cross training was given to help learn more about the store and produce a good team building between the departments
Cons
transfers from one district to another not available
Ok
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 2, 2016
On a typical day i get to work and start out by trying to put as much produce out before the delivery truck comes in at night around 7. Then once the truck drops off the delivery I start working on it trying to put as much out.
It's a good place to make small amount of money for students. But if you have busy schedule and can work limited number of hours, it's not the place
File Maintenance Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 1, 2016
Pros:
relatively flexible schedule, most of my co-workers are very nice

Cons:
Low pay, irregular/short breaks--They offer breaks based on how busy the store is. Sometimes I got my break after I had been working for 3 hours.
You need to pay a lot to get in the union!! I worked less than 24 hours a week and yet, I still had to pay full amount $50+ per month. They are money sxxckers!
Poor benefit package

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.