Safeway Culture reviews

Found 1,583 reviews matching the search See all 10,267 reviews
Good place, but only for social people
Courtesy Clerk- Part-time (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, OR 97838October 19, 2018
Great place to work for, but you rarely see management and the supervisors are biased. More women are hired compared to men, sometimes they give you less hours, and have you try to do three things at once. The workplace culture is great, but they never prepare you for the seasons, and the people you meet are great people
Pros
Great lunch breaks, work locker, great people, help when you need it
Cons
poor management and supervisors, gender discrimination, poor wages
You work as you go
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 17, 2018
The hardest part of the job was cleaning the bathrooms, that wasn't really me but i did it. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
N/a
Labor Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 17, 2018
Provide human resource related support to retail employees and retail/district management for 36 unionized and non-union Safeway stores. The Human Resources Representative supports Safeway's culture of diversity and balanced work force initiative. The Human Resources Representative is responsible for protecting the assets of the company in matters related to discrimination complaints and other legal issues. Safeway Human Resources Representatives are responsible for completing the following job duties:
Fun work place
Cashier/register (Former Employee) –  Willcox, AZOctober 16, 2018
Loved working for safeway was great for secondary job 10 to 28 hours a week. However they try to keep everyone frim full time so there are no benifts to part time
Pros
Offer part time hours
Cons
No bennifits for part time
CASHIER/CUSTOMER SERVICE/PHARMACY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Sweet Home, OROctober 16, 2018
It was a fun environment to work. Customers were interesting. Management was usually understanding. The uniforms have become much more lax since I worked there.
Productive and fun co-workers
APC (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2018
Learned patience,Management some are ok, workplace is great. Hardest is difficult Customers, most enjoyable is conversing with the regular Customers and co-workers
Pros
Customers and co-workers
Cons
breaks, hours
Fast paced, lots of work, low pay, unsafe environment
Combo Clerk (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAOctober 12, 2018
Working as a combo clerk for Vons was a very stressful environment with unfriendly employees and an uncooperative management. I love to be challenged and take upon any job that offers competitive pay. I'm a very determined, motivated, and a very hard worker. This position at Vons nearly killed me though with stress and low pay, not being able to pay for bills or buy myself food. I was told to do things outside of my certification and job description which not only violated OSHA, but the companies policies as well. I did not receive pay for clocking over to higher paying positions nor did I receive any help from the cooperate offices for Safeway. I had to contact HR just to have some things made different at Vons.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, unfriendly staff, uncooperative management, unsafe environment
Mostly Positive Place to Work
Assistant Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynden, WAOctober 12, 2018
With any job, there are pros and cons.
Pros
- Good workplace culture, family atmosphere
- Very good benefits
- Pay is ok if you put in 5-6 years
- Management can be good to work with
- Develop a lot a friendships with coworkers and customers (small town)
- The opportunities for increasing EQ are endless

Cons
- Less than ideal scheduling: only get a few days advanced noticed, times of day worked and overall hours can vary greatly, this makes planning a life difficult
- Usually work weekends, holidays, and evenings (in fairness this is when many of the customers shop)
Always changing in new and fun ways
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Fountain Hills, AZOctober 11, 2018
*Average day was different from the next
*I learned great communicative skills and be able to set up boundaries with customers while still having a great attitude
*Management was hard on their employees to make sure we succeeded
*The best part of the job was being able to make intimate relationships with customers
Typical retail experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 11, 2018
Coworkers and immediate management worked well together. Company culture not positive, employees were treated as disposable and corporate seemed out of touch.
ok place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MarylandOctober 7, 2018
In the administrative part, of my job, answer calls, pull files set up conference rooms, set interviews, file type. Learned how Human Resources work. My supervisor was a hands on person, a good trainer. Workplace culture was very good and fun at times. There was no really hard part of the job. Good part of the job got to volunteer for a lot of events, that would not have had access to.
Pros
volunteering
Cons
Friendly and calm work environment
Starbucks Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CAOctober 5, 2018
It is a nice environment to work at because, my co-workers and all of our employees, in general, are nice and caring and friendly. It's fun to work together with others and interact with many customers.
It pays the bills
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTOctober 5, 2018
Safeway is a steady and often fast paced work environment that is union supported. You start at the bottom and have opportunities to work your way up into different positions but it is entirely dependant on management who are often unreliable, unreasonable or play favorites and discriminate both against races or persons.
Pros
good paying, union that DOES help when they can, benefits better than many others
Cons
Management is random and normally not very reasonable because of the corperate culture, management plays games and will often file writups even if you prove you did not do somthing, management can be eager to get you introuble if you get their friends in trouble
workplace
Cashier and Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 5, 2018
it is a great work place. i just believe their needs to be better management and team work. i enjoy what i do and like the customers. i also like the fact i get paid every week.
I enjoyed the delivery dot com department.
Personal Shopper Back Up (Asst Mgr) (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 5, 2018
For the most part I had a great crew. Communication with my team was productive. I was consistently in the top three producers and so set the example. They were competitive and that made for a better team. Store management backed us up and were helpful when needed. I miss working there.
Pros
Working atmosphere, healthcare, close to home, teamwork
Cons
Sometimes days more than 12 hours due to extra delivery orders, Drivers not showing up and have to let customers know there orders not coming
IT Retail Support
IT Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2018
Learned through experiences in retail and in information technology and working with customers on a day to day basis. I was team lead member whom assisted other team colleagues on improving support tasks to have optimal results within our infrastructure.
Great Work Environment
Bakery Cook (Former Employee) –  Parker, AZOctober 4, 2018
All the managers are helpful and encourage you to do your best and are always available if you have questions. The hours were pretty flexible when I was working there. I enjoyed everyone I worked alongside.
Typical day at Safeway
PC Technician 3 (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MD 20706October 4, 2018
I would start the day at a nearby Safeway store, clock in, and access a computer to look at my current repair order tickets. I learned a lot about retail environment and the IT equipment used. The culture was a busy workplace environment, but respectful. The hardest part of the job was prioritizing repair tickets with the distance between Safeway stores. Management is always busy but responsive to my inquiries.
Pros
Traveling. Not having to physically be at one office each day
Cons
Having to work oncall and weekends because of retail environment
Safeway
Recruiter/Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 4, 2018
Nice place to work. Friendly people. Great customers. Friendly people. Nice place to work. Great customers. Great customers. Nice place to work. Friendly people.
Fun place to work
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 3, 2018
Fun and productive place to work. Customers were great and the people I worked with are a amazing. Other than the wage and hours given I would have stayed there longer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.5K

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight