Safeway Culture reviews

Found 1,649 reviews matching the search See all 10,694 reviews
Its ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MD 21234January 11, 2019
Job is great for beginners. I enjoyed having flexible hours for I could work any shift available. Very straightforward and fun atmosphere. Could use a vending machine in employee rest room.
Booth Cashier file maint (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CA 95521January 10, 2019
none available. I do not want to write a review other than my coworkers are wonderful people and I miss working with all of them. That is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Overall good job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 9, 2019
There were good and bad things about working for Safeway. It was a union job so a lot of the problems we had were mainly the union and not Safeway itself. It was a great first time job for anyone. Management wasn't very helpful in situations about disagreements. There was a lot of favoritism. The workplace culture was very diverse. The hardest part of the job was the fact that we were always so busy and under staffed that we never got our full breaks or breaks at all. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly staff and great customers.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Never got breaks on time or full breaks
It was an nice workplace without the favoritisms and managers not doing their jobs right
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 8, 2019
Safeway is an nice environment a very good place to work but some managers are not in control of their situation they do favoritisms their not caring for orhers
Pros
Favoritisms, no caring, curses, make fun of peoples
Fun
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJanuary 8, 2019
People their made it fun met some new friends and everyone was nice to me helping me out so not only I’d be able to leave but they would as well I loved it
A good place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJanuary 5, 2019
For the pay and experience gained, it's worth working here. Safeway is affiliated with the union, so you get 2 breaks and a minimum 30-minute lunch every day, as well as benefits after working there long enough. There's opportunity to transfer departments, and the store is fast-paced and competitive, so it's a great place to learn and grow if you're new to food handling and looking for a place to build your resume and range of skills.
Pros
Breaks and lunch, good pay, benefits
Cons
Can potentially be high-stress
Decent work place but Corporation does not care for employees
Courtesy Clerk/Grocery Clerk/ Person in charge (Former Employee) –  Enterprise, ORJanuary 4, 2019
A typical day is you show up to work do your best and get complained at for things you could not do. What did i learn lots of things customer service, handling money, physical endurance and how to learn with little to no training. Management was decent as long as you stayed on their good side. The culture was disappointing. the hardest part of the job was dealing with employees who did not want to work.
Pros
its a job
Cons
stressful work environment
Fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 31, 2018
Fun workplace great place to work. Lots of new learning experience. Met new people every day. Learn new things everyday. Every on that you work with are supportive and caring.
Way to gain money with a good social environment.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 29, 2018
A typical day at work is checking for carts, cleaning trash, and bagging groceries. I learned how to clean. The managers are demanding but fair. Excellent people to talk with and talk to. The hardest part of the job is tackling the challenges of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is the comraderie.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Work conditions
Fun place for young people
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 22, 2018
Working at SafeWay is fun but the pay is just not enough to live off of. The other staff is nice and I enjoyed working there. I enjoyed enteracting with the customers.
Productive and Customer friendly.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94611December 21, 2018
This was an environment that was great with customers and employees were friendly. I would recommend people there to do their daily shopping there everyday.
No flexibility in management and lack of training for employees
Night Manager/Head Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chico, CADecember 18, 2018
Schedule varies depending on availability and department.
Management is largely incompetent and poorly trained.
Workplace culture is stressful.
Hardest part of the job is dealing with the overhead and policies set in place which are consistently violated.
Enjoyment came from weekly pay once topped out at pay.
Cons
Incompetent management, qualifications are not considered in advancement
Nice relaxing time
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brandywine, MDDecember 15, 2018
Everything pretty fair and the work environment it excellent with Teamwork. A typical day at work would usually go by slow but a lot could be done in the amount of time. The Mangers are great love to work with you as one.
Pros
Hours
Cons
customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 11, 2018
Great customer service and great employees and management learned a lot while i was working with safeway the hours are great the pay was great working as a cashier was fun and easy to do working in the bakery was great loved it
Safe Way was fine
Night stocker, freezer stocker and cashier (Former Employee) –  Springerville, AZDecember 5, 2018
Safe Way was a fine place to work at. It was very friendly but had terrible communication management and employees. And it was a joy working with my coworkers.
Pros
its a job
Cons
management
Okay pay, terrible culture
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burke, VADecember 3, 2018
The pay is minimum wage and the hours usually get cut and are inconsistent. It's difficult to ask for time off, but the work/life balance is decent. The culture is super stressful because management is mean.
The single worst experience, but only the deli
Seafood, meat, and deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 2, 2018
The deli manager is an incompetent, lazy slob that takes little to no initiative, or responsibility for his faults and jobs.
The department was in terrible shape and horribly ran, only because of my care for my coworkers did i stay as long as i did. My meat department was amazing, the quality of product and the professionalism showed was incredible. my bosses and co-workers were all supportive and helpful and I miss working with them
Great co-workers
Customer Service/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZNovember 30, 2018
Safeway was a great part time job while I was in school. Great co-workers, but always seemed short-handed. I was a bookkeeper and sometimes checked to get the store caught up'
Pros
Staff
Cons
Busy
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2018
Management is poor, but other than that it is a fun place to work at, great co- workers, great customers, etc...............................................
Rough
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZNovember 19, 2018
Busy all day.
Grocery's.
Some day okay.
Handling customers that are upset and not wanting to deal with any one who is working.
There really isn't any enjoyable parts of the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.6K

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

30%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

43%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss