Safeway Culture reviews

21K
Found 1,524 reviews matching the search See all 9,766 reviews
productive workplace
Food Handler (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAAugust 17, 2018
They have working environment and culture. We get to met different people every day. However, there's is a need to improve on customer service and management .
No Loyalty...Laid off after 25 years
Corporate HR (Former Employee) –  PleasantonAugust 16, 2018
Gone are the days of a company with integrity. I started in the 80's and the culture was...every employee mattered. When a long time employee became seriously ill...we all bonded together and gave up a day or two of our own sick pay to help. That employee could stay out much longer to heal and return to work. That is loyalty and the return on that investment can be measured by very low turnover, excellence attendance records and working earnestly. Safeway today is cutthroat and de-valuing of employees.
A caring company
Driver aide (Former Employee) –  New HampshireAugust 15, 2018
I worked at Safeway as a part time transportation monitor. It was a nice tight knit place to work and they had many long time employees. The culture ther was such that you go to management, whom you saw daily, with any issue or concern and it was addressed in a manner that left you feeling valued.
Pros
Small company
Cons
Not able to give FT or benefits
A good place for your first job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kenmore, WAAugust 14, 2018
It was a nice place with really fun and genial people. The work itself was not very amusing. One of the errands you had was to pick the trash and I definitely was not a fan.
productive and very relaxed and complex dealing with customers
verastile clerk (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 14, 2018
I been working with retail since I was 16 and I have a great experience working with people and helping them as well and putting a smile on their faces with great customer service and been getting alone with everyone I work with in the pass years I have work with this company and with management as well and the workplace culture is great working with good employees and treating me with respect
Great teamwork
Barista (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAAugust 11, 2018
Working at Safeway is a fun and relaxing place to be, friends can be made easily and everyone will always be there for each other. Teamwork is one of the most important rule that we follow.
Pros
Cheap meals
family atmosphere
Assistant Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAAugust 10, 2018
a typical day is busy at first until customers come in.management is a rare site in departments.its fun knowing your customers through out the years of employment.
Pros
union
Cons
too much theft
Great Culture
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAAugust 8, 2018
Great people worked there and had an amazing culture. Many people come from different backgrounds and was able to relate with many workers. Training and assignments were challenging.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Understaffed
Good Company to work for
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 3, 2018
Safeway is a really good company to work for. Competitive wages and excellent benefits. I worked in the Produce area. Facility is very well maintained for ias long as its been there. Management wesn't the best though.
Poor Management
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Steamboat Springs, COJuly 31, 2018
There was a culture of favoritism at the store that I worked at. The store manager was Latin, as was the Deli department's manager and assistant manager. They were prejudiced against non-Latins.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
People that I worked for.
had lockers to hold stuff and the timeclock does not always work
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  840 village rdJuly 30, 2018
i liked my fellow department co workers but the head of the operation the main manage meant were very against women and treated us poorly and many did not want to speak up so i left.
Pros
benifits
Cons
some coworkers
Good pay, well-negotiated benefits. Poor management.
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Federal Heights, COJuly 30, 2018
This used to be a great job. The pay is worthwhile, but constant staffing issues and a lack of business, along with a severe morale problem in almost every store, makes Safeway a difficult place to work. Management seems like they are not only hostile but also just don’t care to solve issues. I think this permeates to the corporate level as well. After working at various stores for nearly a decade I can say that these issues have just become more and more prevalent. I still would have stayed, because the pay and benefits, as I stated earlier, are well worth it, but I’m not confident the company will remain solvent for the next ten years.
Pros
Good pay. Good benefits. Fun to interact with customers
Cons
Hostile management and coworkers, negative corporate culture.
It was a fast-paced organization to work in, yet there wasn’t a lot of room to progress to a higher level.
Starbucks Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redondo, WAJuly 30, 2018
It was fast paced, and competitive but it was also met with a lot of laziness and poor management. Not a lot of opportunities to grow as an employee, and too many expectations to work under different titles with little change in pay.
I really liked working at Safeway and learned alot.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 29, 2018
Safeway was a great place to work and I learned so much about interacting with people. I met some really good friends there that I will always keep in touch with.
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
Hot weather challenging when moving carts from parking lot to inside.
Good money if you know how to brown nose
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 28, 2018
The job culture in safeway Is a little cutthroat but the meat department was more so. The money is good but be careful of ur coworkers because they will mess up and tell everyone it was you who did it.
Fun but serious working environment
PRODUCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJuly 27, 2018
My coworkers were cooperative yet serious about their job, it was a comfortable setting. My work area was very spacious. My team that I worked with kept a tight ship at all times.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
The discounts were the same for workers and customers
good part-time place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAJuly 26, 2018
4 store managers within few months
learned to keep to yourself
hardest part is dealing with difficult customers who dont listen
mast enjoyable part is going home and leaving work behind
Pros
10% discounts
Cons
benefits, short breaks
Fun and productive
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAJuly 24, 2018
Bakery manager was nice but there are times when he thinks that because he’s a boss he can do what he wants with my schedule last minute. Other than that I enjoyed working as part of the team
Not too bad
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJuly 24, 2018
Over all I had an amazing time working for Safeway. The management could have used a bit of work but the atmosphere was amazing and the people I worked with were fantastic.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Unpaid lunch
Great company to work for and they notice your hard work quickly.
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CAJuly 23, 2018
Loved working for Safeway. Hours were great, co workers and managers were great. Started out as a personal shopper and within a few months I was training for price changer. Great benefits, awesome company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

60out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Safeway.

Powered by Comparably