Safeway Employee Reviews

okay first time
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAApril 11, 2018
Amazing work culture / fun environment where you can position yourself for success and really grow within your career. Everyone is very helpful and knowledgable. It really is a great company to work for.
Good job if you love Customer service
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYApril 11, 2018
Training needs to be provided for individuals who move up into a higher position. Department Managers need to be able to discuss issues with the Company Manager without being told they are wasting time. The Company Manager should be willing to listen to a Department Managers issues without being told they are making excuses. A typical day is fast paced and can be stressful. Team work is a priority. Everyone has a set amount of work to be done but must also be able & willing to jump in and help out in any area of the department. It was nice to work in a relatively small department and I enjoyed the feeling of being part of the team. There did seem to be a high turn around rate, especially among the part time employees. Much of the work was repetitive but every day was different depending on what came up. It was nice to get to know some of the customers and know their preferences. We all strove to keep our customers happy and always tried very hard to correct anything that was unsatisfactory to adequately compensate the customer. The hardest part of the job was working in the freezer, trying to move pallets which were not very well stacked and very hard to move. The freezer was often unorganized and it was difficult to get to a certain departments products as they were all mixed together. I believe something should be done at the warehouse level to improve this condition.
Pros
Safeway is a Union store which can be helpful for employees
Cons
No overtime allowed and not enough employees to do a job in the time given.
Always working hard.
Helper Clerk (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 11, 2018
This company is a great company to start at and work yourself up. There is always a great number of people to help you with any questions if you are unsure about a product or trying to find it's location. I learned a lot about different hair products to different brands that customers usually come in for. The hardest thing for me at this company was finding a certain location for a item that was really it. The most enjoyable thing that I loved about working here was the customers if I was able to help out someone and just to see a smile on a customers face made me happy I love helping others.
Fun place to work
Fresh Foods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelso, WAApril 10, 2018
Fun place to work good people great pay and benefits understanding managment very fast paced enviroment and very competitive place to work and a great career oppurtunity
My experience wasn't that great
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 10, 2018
I think the only reason I enjoyed going to work at Safeway was because of the people that I worked with. The customers were nice too but I felt like I was basically a dog playing fetch for people's groceries.
Safeway Overall
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olney, MDApril 10, 2018
Safeway is a great job to learn how a retail company works and gives you great knowledge in products. I enjoyed interacting with customers and helping them.
Pros
Discount on items
Cons
Short breaks
I find the people great but limited hours and inadequate pay
Head Baker (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 10, 2018
I am a baker at Safeway and really enjoy the fast-paced, multi-tasking requirements of the work so I feel conflicted about offering a poor review. Safeway doesn't value their baker's and continues to cut hours at a pitiful pay rate.
Pros
Interacting with customer's
Cons
pay rate
Its ok I guess
Delivery Driver/ Customer service Rep (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAApril 9, 2018
To much favertisum so it makes it a bad place to work for . You have to be in good with there little click or else you will be the black sheep in the bunch .
fast pace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Monument, COApril 9, 2018
it was fast face with a lot of work to do at once to much for one person to handle. worked overtime way to much and got in trouble for working over time. always something new adding on to are jobs with less time. decent manager who worked there when I worked at the time. always do this do that by this time.
Pros
can try the samples
Cons
worked way to much for less money
Worked as closing as a Bakery Clerk
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams, AZApril 9, 2018
If you're looking for a job to fill a gap or something go ahead and apply here but honestly even if you apply for full time they'll probably give you full time, schedule you 1-3 days a week as needed and then hire someone else in your spot and cut your hours completely. As a Bakery Clerk on the night shift you basically work alone, you work on a very strict time frame expected to spend most of your day packaging leftover baked goods, baking new bread, and spending the last 2 hours of the day cleaning and closing everything in the area. clean all machines, all pans, sweep and mop floors, and even the dishwasher itself needs to be cleaned out every day. if there's a lot of packaging that needs to be done you're probably going to have to put most of it in storage for the morning shift to take care of otherwise you won't have time to finish cleaning procedures.
Cons
unpredicable schedule, stressful work enviorment, very strict and specific schedule.
As long as you can handle.
Night Crew Stocker (Current Employee) –  Factoria, WAApril 9, 2018
Working at night can be busy and stressful. My store is 24 hours. Stocking up the shelves at night and covering the register is basically our night. Management could always be better, dishonest and rude for the most part besides asking for time off it was alright. All the time we are hustling to get stuff done, no time for breaks, heck even lunch sometimes, we are that busy without the required help, trying to get an extra body for even half a shift is pulling teeth but we do not have enough people or the hours, so we roll on. There was a period of time where I worked almost a year straight for six days, very unpleasant. With so few people on the crew, you are lucky to get one day off a week. Days off are split, so it feels like you do not get any rest and because of the night crew schedule, it involves lots of sleeping and little time to enjoy life. Trying to play security to prevent theft is a huge burden. As mentioned before we are 24 hours, so we do get the crazies that come in sometimes. We have so much work to do and they are a distraction if we have to keep watching them encase they steal. Our safety is very iffy because of this. If someone one night decides to crazy and has a weapon, well...may be to late to call 911 or security by that time, even if they fairly close to us in the mall.
Pros
Coworkers, customers
Cons
Limited time, open 24/7, theft, managment, lack of help
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 9, 2018
very relaxed job except on busy days. if you like working in customer service this would be a good job for you. make friends very easily. you need to help the checkers with store items.
Very productive
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 9, 2018
I learned how to work in a team environment and also to take directions as well as give. The typical day in deli was customer service first but varied I had to receive and stock foods and drinks.
My management was very helpful very cool but also expected the very best from all employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unpleasant customers at times, I most enjoyed having a team of like minded people working with me
Pros
Lunch Discounts
Cons
flexible schedule
We're just a pharmacy department in a supermarket, not a "real" pharmacy
Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaApril 9, 2018
Lately the labor pinch is tightening and I have to work more hours alone or with limited help, especially on weekends. This is stressful for any pharmacist. Whether your pharmacy is low or high volume doesn't matter when you factor in that all pharmacies have the same basic set of tasks to complete as required by the company.
The company doesn't have enough staffing to cover illnesses and vacations. If your tech calls out sick, do not count on a replacement.
We have had to make due time and time again.
One change I really dislike when we were taken over by Albertsons is that we have no control over order points. We USED to be able to adjust them. Now, many medications that people take routinely forever have a -1 order point. This means the system won't order it until an Rx is processed for it, which means pretty much you're having to tell your customer you need to order the item every single time. If the company ever ponders why it gets bad YELP reviews, this is a big reason! "They never have the medication in stock." Sound familiar? I guess that's what world-class service has become. Just empty promises.
Pros
If I don't pack a lunch, I don't have to go far
Cons
Reduced labor hours, high demands
Fun and Challenging work-place with a fast-paced day
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chehalis, WAApril 8, 2018
This is a fun place to work but can also be stressful during rushes. It is very fast-paced and there is always something to do so my shifts usually go by pretty fast. Its great to work with others and help customers and has a very friendly atmosphere. Through this job I have learned to be more confident about myself and have learned how to work with others while providing customer service.
work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAApril 8, 2018
I went to work and did my job...that's it
I did what was expected of me and never missed a day at work...worked over if needed, came when others didn't!
Good company to work for
Pharmacist Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 8, 2018
My first years with this company were excellent. The pace was reasonable and as low on stress as it is possible in a pharmacy. I managed the employees, handle the paperwork required of a Manager, filled prescriptions, counseled the customers. I completely enjoyed the position until a new manager was hired and he did not like female managers. This was my reason for quitting.
Fast paced
Bookkeeper District Cash Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montecito, CAApril 7, 2018
customer service, competitive pricing, versatile work atmosphere. Flexible hours. Good employee support. Clean stores and large variety of products..
Pros
local
Cons
shift hours
First job
Courtesy Clerk, cashier, deli clerk, bakery clerk (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORApril 7, 2018
During the period of time that I worked for Safeway the management was not the best, I was frequently yelled at in front of our customers who felt sorry for me afterwords. The jobs that I did were not difficult but due to lack of staff there was more pressure put on those of us who were there. The best part of the job was the customers; they were also the worst part of the job. There were a lot of changes going while I was there which led to people being trained inconsistently or not at all which may have also led to lack of customer satisfaction.
Pros
Discounts on safeway products
Cons
lack of direction, consistency, and proper staffing for breaks/lunches
Mixed
Night Crew Clerk (Current Employee) –  Manteca, CAApril 6, 2018
The company is going through changes, schedules are always changing the is no work/ life balance. The night shift workers are occasionally overloaded, due to lack of management.
Pros
Decent Pay and Benifits
Cons
Shifting schedule, little advancement opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K

2.3

1.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight