SAFY Employee Reviews

The most horrible experience of my professional career in social services.
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 21, 2018
SAFY is the most unprofessional, disorganized, and counterproductive place I have ever worked. The culture there is very negative. Employees constantly leave this place. The clients often complain about mistreatment from management. Foster parent generally leave the organization within the first 30 days. SAFY has lost its mission and is focused mostly on making money off the plight of its clients. SAFY has established unreasonable and unrealistic expectations for employees and foster parents. The company really needs to be revamped.
Pros
The clients are great people
Cons
Unprofessional, negative environment, unrealistic expectation, high turnover, no personal life
Apply If You're Just That Desperate
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 19, 2018
I can only speak for the Birmingham office. I interviewed for 1 position and was hired for a lower one. The ED is rude and doesn't know how to talk to her employees. I was a case coordinator. She has never held that role but insisted that she could tell me how to do the job. She does not have a good relationship with her staff nor the children and foster parents. The environment is hostile and we have been told that we shouldn't be laughing if files are not complete. I enjoyed most of my equal coworkers but overall, SAFY was an awful place to be employed.
Wouldn't work again
Therapist (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJune 8, 2018
There is a significant lack of communication. Rarely am told about what's going on within the company or matters in regards to the families. Will be told one thing and then expectations are another.
Pros
Employed
Cons
Communication
Ok job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 30, 2018
Laid back. Can occasionally work from home but it's difficult to acure time off or sick time. People had favorites but the team looked out for one another overall.
Pros
Wotk from home, flexible
Cons
Salary, hours
Low compensation but a great introduction to clinical social work
Case Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 24, 2018
SAFY lacks a company culture. The compensation is nowhere near what it should be for the work that is required. The paperwork is tedious and redundant. Upper management is disconnected with the support positions. The clinical aspect of the job is phenomenal and this is a great way to develop clinical skills and get training with various interventions. The job is not a 9-5 which was great for me.
Pros
Low salary, tedious paperwork, upper to lower management disconnect
Cons
Flexibility of work hours, clinical experience
Massive turnover, ridiculously low pay
Treatment Director (Former Employee) –  Northern Kentucky, KYJanuary 13, 2018
I was a Treatment Director. Staff turnover before I started was high. I came on board and more staff leave. Pay was ridiculously low for a director position. Recruiters scramble to find people who want to work for low pay and be stretched too thin.

I had several offers to work elsewhere and after initially saying no, within a few weeks of me starting and seeing first-hand how poorly the office and division was run, I chose to leave.
Pros
Some staff are good people
Cons
Pay, reputation, benefits
Don't waste your time
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 4, 2018
This company is unorganized with no support to Case Managers. The paperwork is overwhelming. No teamwork within the company. The position details were inaccurate.
Pros
Cons
Hours per week, poor leadership
Great learning experience for new social workers
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sidney, OHDecember 27, 2017
Safy was a great first job to get my feet wet. It can be stressful and very fast paced. The paperwork and amount of time traveling is very overwhelming and you never feel caught up. I loved working with the kids and genuinely felt that I was making a difference in their lives.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Stressful, work life balance is hard to maintain
Leaving for More Money
Divisional Office Manager (Former Employee) –  KYDecember 10, 2017
When I first accepted this job as DOM the job description was not to the real tasks this job requires.
You are actually doing 5 peoples jobs in one which is very very stressful.
I think the company needs to re-evaluate their pay scales. Never in my life have I seen a company utilize a person with such low pay.
I think management with this company needs some adjusting. Too many bad things happen and I seen it.
The way this company has this whole office set up is crazy.
I loved the work I did but too many issues everywhere else.
The turnover in this company has sky rocketed in 2017.
Colorado is a great place to work!
Clinician (Current Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 11, 2017
I love working here. The work is meaningful, challenging, and makes a difference. All supervisors seem invested in me and my satisfaction. There is a lot of driving, but they were transparent during my interviews about the realities of the job. Leadership is transparent and approachable, and I have great colleagues. I hope to grow at SAFY of CO.
Pros
Good culture, great colleagues, leadership, staff yoga
Cons
Driving
The Cleveland office is crumbling
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 24, 2017
The Cleveland office is crumbling around them.
10 people have resigned since 1/2017. Services are operating with a skeleton crew and all are over worked and unsupported. More staff are on their way out the door.
Recent management changes and philosophy states a teamwork mentality but the actual style in punitive and this creates an unsupportive work environment.
Staff are extremely overloaded with double and triple caseloads.
There have been no replacements for the more recent exodus of Case Coordinators and there are only 4 left out of the typical 8 positions. Staff are very stressed with none of the management stepping up to assist.
A lot can be said about the stability of an office with so many good staff leaving. There will be more staff leaving.
Trust me when I say this-you will regret accepting a job at the Cleveland office. What was once a respected agency in the community is now a disappointment to be a part of.
Pros
Coworker support, families and children served
Cons
Punitive management, lack of support, poor work/life balance due to 40-50 hr weeks
Felt like you were making a difference
Foster Parent Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 23, 2017
I learned so much during my time at SAFY due to my own self training. Management was lacking in every sense of the word. Training was non-existent. You are thrown in and left to figure the job out on your own with no direction what so ever. Hardest part of the job was learning about the children's backgrounds and why they were placed into foster care. You just want to take them all home with you. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the kids.
Independent work
FOSTER CARE CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 19, 2017
Work can be challenging case by case. Lots of case management, contacting workers, and travel for hours sometimes. Resources available are limited depending on community.
Pros
employee incentives
Cons
travel, pay
Divisional office culture is positive.
FAMILY YOUTH SPECIALIST / CASE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Delphos, OHJuly 31, 2017
Changes occur daily based on needs of youth and families. No day is the same. In meeting with clients, we provide case management and mental health services. We must complete documentation of all contacts.
Pros
Flexibile schedules
Cons
Current program of choice for documentation.
SAFY of Colorado is a joke
Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJuly 17, 2017
SAFY of Colorado is an absolute joke. It is 2 women who decided that they can start their own program with the backing of SAFY America's money. Their programming has no evidenced based practices. They gain all of their "trauma" knowledge from a couple of books that they ask new employees to read, which is considered "training." One of the start up directors had not even completed her master and was acting as a clinical supervisor. Both directors were rude, unprofessional, and seemingly bit off way more than they can chew. They truly have NO idea what they are doing. There is so much turnover at the agency, more than what is expected for home based therapy positions. You basically "wing it" as an unlicensed therapist or social worker, with little to no support from the directors. They lie upfront in the interview process to sell you on the program.
Pros
Cons
stressful, expect you to work 50+ hours a week, horrible pay, poor management
Great place to start and advance
Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 25, 2017
This company is a well rounded company that keeps your work life and personal life separate. They are willing to work with you to ensure that you are as educated as you could be, and also are always there when you need help. The hardest part of this job is seeing kids leave foster care to go back into a home they should not be going back to. The most enjoyable part is being able to work with the youth, but also having the freedom to work from home from time to time.
The culture of the workplace is phenomanal!
Recruiting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 6, 2017
Specialized Alternative for Families and youth is a great company to work for. They provide great benefits and wonderful incentives. They have variety of remote position that foster growth and development for an individual!
Stressful and Hostile work envirnoment
Division Treatment Director (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 16, 2017
The executive director of the state creates a hostile work environment for her staff and management in general does not respect or adhere to any grievances process.
SAFY is a great company!
Family Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KY 40207July 30, 2016
I transferred from SAFY of Kentucky to SAFY of Colorado in December 2014. SAFY primarily works as a Family Preservation Program and recently began Treatment Foster Care Program in Colorado. A typical day means two or more hours driving to home visits while managing cases via phone. The management positions, titles and supervisory expectations change significantly in short periods of time. My co-workers are amazing! We are a great team with great communication skills and extremely client focused. The hardest part of my job is the inordinate amount of time I spend driving. The most enjoyable part of my job is the direct clinical service that I am able to provide to my families.
Pros
Staff Yoga, Staff Kickball, Self-care Club are the pros of working for SAFY.
Cons
Participating in a start-up division, driving
I love safy
Full-time position, Therapeutic Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 4, 2016
I LOVE working there and making a different in families lives. I will not work any where else full time. I would and have referred therapist to work there. There is love and support.