SAFY Employee Reviews

I should have had a V8
Family Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 3, 2019
The training was non existent due to my supervisor being located 3 hours away. There was no set training process in place. The executive director was rude and didn't know how to communicate effectively. You ALWAYS work more than 40 hours per week yet you don't get paid OT. Instead they have something called flex time but it's at your supervisors discretion if you can use it so most of the time you were working without pay. Speaking of pay...it was garbage too
Pros
Cons
Low pay poor leadership time off
Relaxed and rewarding workplace
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 17, 2018
I would recommend this job to someone new to the child welfare career. The team and management is very friendly, helpful, and supportive. SAFY is very family based and has a good work life balance.
Excellent clinical experience, Horrible everything else
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhNovember 25, 2018
The problem with SAFY is that they recognize yet do not address the recurrent problems. The expectations are unreal and you will easily find yourself overworked, under paid, overwhelmed and unsupported by management.
The experience, for first time graduates, clinically can be amazing but dont expect real training or support from TDs. SAFY has so much potential but it is an absolute waste of great work.
Turnover is unprecedented. Mileage is below national average. The Foster Parents, clients and a handful of workers try to keep you motivated.
Pros
Clientele, work experience
Cons
Management, unrealistic utilization, lack of training, compensation, disconnect between management & those who actually perform the job
Good first time job straight out of college
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sidney, OHOctober 7, 2018
You worked too many long hours. Worked from home to try and keep up with notes, you had to keep up with files as well. Lots of driving. The supervisor did not support you. Would get written up for falling behind on paperwork. The management had favorites in the office.
Pros
gas mileage, flex time, good job for someone just out of college
Cons
too much paperwork, not being supported, a lot of staff leaving
The worst place to work
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 10, 2018
This place is awful in Montgomery, Al. The worst experience I have ever had in my entire life!! Management team treat the employees horrible and the foster parents!!! This place need to be shut down, extreme high turn over.........RUN FROM THIS PLACE DON'T GO NEAR!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Management is the worst!!!!!!
The most horrible experience of my professional career in social services.
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 21, 2018
SAFY is the most unprofessional, disorganized, and counterproductive place I have ever worked. The culture there is very negative. Employees constantly leave this place. The clients often complain about mistreatment from management. Foster parent generally leave the organization within the first 30 days. SAFY has lost its mission and is focused mostly on making money off the plight of its clients. SAFY has established unreasonable and unrealistic expectations for employees and foster parents. The company really needs to be revamped.
Pros
The clients are great people
Cons
Unprofessional, negative environment, unrealistic expectation, high turnover, no personal life
Apply If You're Just That Desperate
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 19, 2018
I can only speak for the Birmingham office. I interviewed for 1 position and was hired for a lower one. The ED is rude and doesn't know how to talk to her employees. I was a case coordinator. She has never held that role but insisted that she could tell me how to do the job. She does not have a good relationship with her staff nor the children and foster parents. The environment is hostile and we have been told that we shouldn't be laughing if files are not complete. I enjoyed most of my equal coworkers but overall, SAFY was an awful place to be employed.
Not my 1st choice
INVENTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 11, 2018
This company is for someone who has been in the field for a good period of time, not for someone who is fresh out of college. It is a very small high stress environment with little support.
Wouldn't work again
Therapist (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJune 8, 2018
There is a significant lack of communication. Rarely am told about what's going on within the company or matters in regards to the families. Will be told one thing and then expectations are another.
Pros
Employed
Cons
Communication
Ok job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 30, 2018
Laid back. Can occasionally work from home but it's difficult to acure time off or sick time. People had favorites but the team looked out for one another overall.
Pros
Wotk from home, flexible
Cons
Salary, hours

Want to know more about SAFY?

Ask a question
Low compensation but a great introduction to clinical social work
Case Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 24, 2018
SAFY lacks a company culture. The compensation is nowhere near what it should be for the work that is required. The paperwork is tedious and redundant. Upper management is disconnected with the support positions. The clinical aspect of the job is phenomenal and this is a great way to develop clinical skills and get training with various interventions. The job is not a 9-5 which was great for me.
Pros
Low salary, tedious paperwork, upper to lower management disconnect
Cons
Flexibility of work hours, clinical experience
Massive turnover, ridiculously low pay
Treatment Director (Former Employee) –  Northern Kentucky, KYJanuary 13, 2018
I was a Treatment Director. Staff turnover before I started was high. I came on board and more staff leave. Pay was ridiculously low for a director position. Recruiters scramble to find people who want to work for low pay and be stretched too thin.

I had several offers to work elsewhere and after initially saying no, within a few weeks of me starting and seeing first-hand how poorly the office and division was run, I chose to leave.
Pros
Some staff are good people
Cons
Pay, reputation, benefits
Don't waste your time
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 4, 2018
This company is unorganized with no support to Case Managers. The paperwork is overwhelming. No teamwork within the company. The position details were inaccurate.
Pros
Cons
Hours per week, poor leadership
Great learning experience for new social workers
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sidney, OHDecember 27, 2017
Safy was a great first job to get my feet wet. It can be stressful and very fast paced. The paperwork and amount of time traveling is very overwhelming and you never feel caught up. I loved working with the kids and genuinely felt that I was making a difference in their lives.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Stressful, work life balance is hard to maintain
Leaving for More Money
Divisional Office Manager (Former Employee) –  KYDecember 10, 2017
When I first accepted this job as DOM the job description was not to the real tasks this job requires.
You are actually doing 5 peoples jobs in one which is very very stressful.
I think the company needs to re-evaluate their pay scales. Never in my life have I seen a company utilize a person with such low pay.
I think management with this company needs some adjusting. Too many bad things happen and I seen it.
The way this company has this whole office set up is crazy.
I loved the work I did but too many issues everywhere else.
The turnover in this company has sky rocketed in 2017.
Colorado is a great place to work!
Clinician (Current Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 11, 2017
I love working here. The work is meaningful, challenging, and makes a difference. All supervisors seem invested in me and my satisfaction. There is a lot of driving, but they were transparent during my interviews about the realities of the job. Leadership is transparent and approachable, and I have great colleagues. I hope to grow at SAFY of CO.
Pros
Good culture, great colleagues, leadership, staff yoga
Cons
Driving
The Cleveland office is crumbling
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 24, 2017
The Cleveland office is crumbling around them.
10 people have resigned since 1/2017. Services are operating with a skeleton crew and all are over worked and unsupported. More staff are on their way out the door.
Recent management changes and philosophy states a teamwork mentality but the actual style in punitive and this creates an unsupportive work environment.
Staff are extremely overloaded with double and triple caseloads.
There have been no replacements for the more recent exodus of Case Coordinators and there are only 4 left out of the typical 8 positions. Staff are very stressed with none of the management stepping up to assist.
A lot can be said about the stability of an office with so many good staff leaving. There will be more staff leaving.
Trust me when I say this-you will regret accepting a job at the Cleveland office. What was once a respected agency in the community is now a disappointment to be a part of.
Pros
Coworker support, families and children served
Cons
Punitive management, lack of support, poor work/life balance due to 40-50 hr weeks
Felt like you were making a difference
Foster Parent Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 23, 2017
I learned so much during my time at SAFY due to my own self training. Management was lacking in every sense of the word. Training was non-existent. You are thrown in and left to figure the job out on your own with no direction what so ever. Hardest part of the job was learning about the children's backgrounds and why they were placed into foster care. You just want to take them all home with you. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the kids.
Independent work
FOSTER CARE CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 19, 2017
Work can be challenging case by case. Lots of case management, contacting workers, and travel for hours sometimes. Resources available are limited depending on community.
Pros
employee incentives
Cons
travel, pay
Divisional office culture is positive.
FAMILY YOUTH SPECIALIST / CASE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Delphos, OHJuly 31, 2017
Changes occur daily based on needs of youth and families. No day is the same. In meeting with clients, we provide case management and mental health services. We must complete documentation of all contacts.
Pros
Flexibile schedules
Cons
Current program of choice for documentation.