SAFY

SAFY Employee Reviews

United States48 reviews
fast paced
Fast paced. interesting, interesting, interesting, ok. It was a good experience, I enjoyed working there, Long hours, difficulty with supervisor, lack of response
Pros
fast paced
Cons
fast paced
More than lip service
SAFY is a great organization that places the needs of the youth and the families they care for in our community, first. No organization is perfect yet our CEO personally strives to find creative ways to improve our working environment while not hurting the bottom line. He has a management team, that mirrors his perspective of ensuring that each individual's concern is heard. Working hours are based around a 9 - 5 schedule, however, there are times that in order to meet the needs of our clientele we must work outside that time frame. The hard part is the working hours, the heart-wrenching situations that children are in and keeping up with the demands of the position, as it changes daily. The enjoyable part is knowing that at the end of the day, we have contributed to making our community better, by placing a traumatized child into a loving home while that child is healing and hopefully will their parents are improving their situation. It is also working for an organization that truly cares about their staff just as much as they do about the clients they serve. At SAFY, it is not just lip service and a nice pat on the back, they don't mind placing it in our paycheck also.
Foster parent
I love doing what I do I'm a caregiver at heart. I love working with elderly however children give me joy in my heart. I wouldn't trade being a foster parent for anything else.
Pros
You get a lot of training that you don't get with your children when you have them.
Cons
You are dealing with a lot of different emotions and behaviors that can be very stressful at times.
SAFY is unethical. It does more harm than good. I wanted to help kids.
SAFY takes grant and Medicaid money primarily . I just spent so much time being pressured to trick parents into “ Safety Checks” and sign people up for services. We needed to do so much paperwork to bill for those services Dont get me wrong, some clients came to us needing the services we offered but many were not in need of the services most likely and we were pressured to force the issue because Child Services had kicked the case to us because it didn’t fit their criteria. And when you visit you could tell most of the time it was a bogus call that had come in SAFY sees opportunity for money though I saw that as nerve racking and detrimental to good families and their children while taking resources from who needed our help SAFY is a terrible organization and embodies everything wrong with the Foster System and supports today. After my experience I went back to school for a different career choice.
Pros
Services do help kids that genuinely need them
Cons
Hurting good families to make the org money is stressful.
Very horible management in Lima office, would not recommend a forward thinker apply. Young new female grad, definitely apply, you will get supervision
I cannot recommend a seasoned professional apply, your talent and strength will be appreciated at lip service only, unless you are a mind numb robot..
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Love the Company.... Not the state leadership
I thoroughly stand behind the mission of SAFY, but the leadership in Alabama, specifically the Executive Director sucks the joy and purpose out of this job. She has unreasonable expectations and sits on a pedestal that she feels entitles her to not have to get out and do the work. Instead, the leadership and staff are left to carry the weight of each other. And when her direct reports are drowning and asking for assistance or compensation for the extra work, she tells them to suck it up and do the job, while she goes home at 4pm every night and doesn't work on weekends.

Corporate knows the problems in Alabama, but, doesn't do anything about it. Staff are afraid to speak up about their concerns and problems with the ED because they know that she holds grudges and will eventually take it out on them.

She creates an environment that pits leaders against each other and creates drama. She uses fear and intimidation with staff. She does not genuinely care about the people that work for her, but cares only about the bottom line.

SAFY as a whole is a great organization and it's mission and values are things I fell in love with. At the end of the day, however, I could not continue to work under the ED of Alabama.
Pros
Mission and values
Cons
See above comments
Great Place to Work!
I've been with the agency in Findlay, Ohio for six years as a Family Development Specialist. The people I work with are dedicated and passionate about their jobs. Management at this office advocate for their staff and recognize hard work. It has been a wonderful experience thus far.
Adaptive and Empowering Team
Absolutely love SAFY of Louisville FPP team! I have an amazing work family that supports and empowers passionate clinically driven work to families. The job is flexible and versatile, with lots of guidance.
Incredibly helpful and kind staff. Great learning experience for first time social workers.
I have been at SAFY almost 9 months now. I knew very little coming in and i have managed to grow as not only a person but as a clinician. Working with this company has been an unforgettable experience that i hope to continue to be apart of. Working with the families and youth has been very eye opening and rewarding. If i ever need help there is always someone there to assist. The Findlay division continues to make progress, achieve goals and push their employees to be the best but while also encouraging self care and preventing burn out. As time has gone on SAFY as a whole and division wise have made strives to lift up their employees and help those in need in the best way that they can. With the right team and management your experience becomes how you make it. Findlay’s Division is highly recommended!
Pros
Open and accepting atmosphere
Cons
It is difficult to balance job & home life due too the many duties & responsibilities of the job
I enjoy working with our Foster families & the children. There are just so many regulations & pressure to get more homes licensed and services billed that you end up working many extra hours, which has lead to high turnover rates of coworkers which in turns adds more duties to those still there.
Run.
This was the most unprofessional place I have ever worked. The management treats each other poorly and the staff even worse. Management lacks common sense and basic empathy for others. They are constantly on a power trip and competing with one another. Management will bully and nitpick at workers they do not like in order to usher them out the door.

Foster parents can get away with so much because SAFY needs "bodies in beds" to make money. While there are many foster parents who genuinely care about the children and their emotional healing from trauma, many are just in it for the money. The agency has an overall poor reputation with CCDCFS, and rightfully so.

The most positive experience I had was with my coworkers and with the kids. Due to feeling like they are left to fend for themselves by management, coworkers support one another with navigating the copious amount of paperwork and strategies to make the job bearable. The kids can be very fun to work with and often have much potential to heal from their trauma.
Pros
Co-workers that care. Kids with much potential.
Cons
Extremely disorganized, unprofessional, and disrespectful management. Many money hungry and unprofessional foster parents.
Poor management and very high turn over
Poor leadership and often the supervisor is more worried about being friends that being professional. Very unprofessional work environment with NO support. Poor communication. Leadership ALWAYS changing.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Unethical, unprofessional environment, low pay and very long hours including nights and weekends.
work experience
enjoy my time working with the company it was a relaxed company to work for as everyone tends to work well as a team. this was a part time job which we for a short time
I should have had a V8
The training was non existent due to my supervisor being located 3 hours away. There was no set training process in place. The executive director was rude and didn't know how to communicate effectively. You ALWAYS work more than 40 hours per week yet you don't get paid OT. Instead they have something called flex time but it's at your supervisors discretion if you can use it so most of the time you were working without pay. Speaking of pay...it was garbage too
Pros
Cons
Low pay poor leadership time off
Relaxed and rewarding workplace
I would recommend this job to someone new to the child welfare career. The team and management is very friendly, helpful, and supportive. SAFY is very family based and has a good work life balance.
Tried to make it work
This job is very stressful. Peer reviews were time consuming and limited supervisors responsibility of oversight of case managers that were in need of training. This was a salaried position; there were no stipulations in the contract saying that there was a minimum number of hours to work each week, yet companty expected at least 40 hours. This is only an issue because there are weeks (most weeks) where 50 plus hours were required and I worked 7 days a week making visits and completing paperwork. The distribution of cases was unfair as those that were “less competent” had lower caseloads and were receiving the same amount of pay are their competent counterparts having much more cases to juggle at the same time. Manager was unfair during employee evaluation, raises were not given when they were supposed to be, it was nearly impossible to use flex time to help level off all the overtime needed to complete job to required standard (time frames, etc.). Paperwork for initial visits took hours to complete and were promptly due. Cases were assigned often and without regard to current caseload or obligations. This job was the embodiment of “overworked and underpaid”!
Pros
Coworkers were engaging, helpful, and supportive for the most part, 401k employer contribution, non-profit (student loan forgiveness)
Cons
punitive distribution of cases, low pay, salaried/no overtime, hard to flex time off, tons of miles on your car, poor work-life balance, high stress, heavy workload, unsupported by supervisor, no days off
Excellent clinical experience, Horrible everything else
The problem with SAFY is that they recognize yet do not address the recurrent problems. The expectations are unreal and you will easily find yourself overworked, under paid, overwhelmed and unsupported by management.
The experience, for first time graduates, clinically can be amazing but dont expect real training or support from TDs. SAFY has so much potential but it is an absolute waste of great work.

Turnover is unprecedented. Mileage is below national average. The Foster Parents, clients and a handful of workers try to keep you motivated.
Pros
Clientele, work experience
Cons
Management, unrealistic utilization, lack of training, compensation, disconnect between management & those who actually perform the job
Good first time job straight out of college
You worked too many long hours. Worked from home to try and keep up with notes, you had to keep up with files as well. Lots of driving. The supervisor did not support you. Would get written up for falling behind on paperwork. The management had favorites in the office.
Pros
gas mileage, flex time, good job for someone just out of college
Cons
too much paperwork, not being supported, a lot of staff leaving
The worst place to work
This place is awful in Montgomery, Al. The worst experience I have ever had in my entire life!! Management team treat the employees horrible and the foster parents!!! This place need to be shut down, extreme high turn over.........RUN FROM THIS PLACE DON'T GO NEAR!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Management is the worst!!!!!!
The most horrible experience of my professional career in social services.
SAFY is the most unprofessional, disorganized, and counterproductive place I have ever worked. The culture there is very negative. Employees constantly leave this place. The clients often complain about mistreatment from management. Foster parent generally leave the organization within the first 30 days. SAFY has lost its mission and is focused mostly on making money off the plight of its clients. SAFY has established unreasonable and unrealistic expectations for employees and foster parents. The company really needs to be revamped.
Pros
The clients are great people
Cons
Unprofessional, negative environment, unrealistic expectation, high turnover, no personal life
Apply If You're Just That Desperate
I can only speak for the Birmingham office. I interviewed for 1 position and was hired for a lower one. The ED is rude and doesn't know how to talk to her employees. I was a case coordinator. She has never held that role but insisted that she could tell me how to do the job. She does not have a good relationship with her staff nor the children and foster parents. The environment is hostile and we have been told that we shouldn't be laughing if files are not complete. I enjoyed most of my equal coworkers but overall, SAFY was an awful place to be employed.