SAGA Innovations Employee Reviews

Great idea-Poor management
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 17, 2018
I would only recommend working for SAGA in a leadership capacity and even then, I would consider other options. The salary is excellent, but overall it is managed poorly.
Do Not Work Here
Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2018
They will underpay you and manipulate you. If you have bills to pay you will need a second job. If you want to be treated like a child and have your work devalued you will find that. All of the "benefits" they offer are useless. Look at their Glassdoor reviews. Do Not Work Here.
Pros
The Students Are Wonderful
Cons
Everything Else
Rewarding work in education
Tutor Fellow (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2018
The main goal of SAGA Innovations is to provide assistance to freshmen and sophomores who are in jeopardy of failing their math class. It is very rewarding work, but there are some difficulties that come along with the demographics with which we work. There were also a lot of discrepancies with information we were told before the job started, and how things actually worked once we were at our sites. There is also a lot of unknowns even once the job begins, which can be stressful for some people. I have learned a lot about myself, my capabilities, and my shortcomings, as well as how to handle other people. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my kids get excited about learning something new, or being trusted with sensitive information because they know how much I care about them.
Productive and fun workplace with great motives
Tutoring Fellow (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 17, 2017
Saga Innovations was a very fun job for me, and I loved the workplace culture due to its inclusiveness and goals. I gained a lot of experience in teaching math lessons to a very diverse group of students. The hardest part of the job was engaging students with very little interest in math to listen and complete their work, but overall it was a very valuable experience.
Overall productive for the kids
High School Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2017
While the environment is overall pretty relaxed, there is a lot of work required as a tutor (even though what you are doing is more like teaching). All in all, if you want to teach without having to work with a whole classroom then it is a great starter position for those wanting to wade into it. I would recommend another part time position if you're looking for sustainable income as they don't pay much.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, Consistent feedback
Cons
Short on pay and a lot of nepotism.
Excellent Gap Year Gig
SAGA Fellow (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2016
I took a job as a SAGA Fellow (aka math tutor) shortly after graduating undergrad. The idea was to figure out if I wanted to become a teacher before I committed to a graduate program.

Pros:
-Gives you a taste of classroom teaching
-Excellent feedback for work
-Patient supervisors
-Less stressful than Teach for America or Americorps
-Tight-knit teams/staff
-Highly-engaged executives
-Thorough training
-Resume-building workshops and team-building activities
-Extremely friendly workplace
-Perfect work-life balance (they do everything in their power to help you with self-care)

Cons:
-Disheartening setbacks when things are bad for your students at home
-Stipend is very low. You will need to moonlight if you pay rent.
-Management is disorganized at times.
-Healthcare premiums are pretty high, given that they don't provide great coverage, and especially given the salary.
-Promotions are limited unless you have a background in education or mathematics
-Inefficient professional development/training days. They're thorough, but they're also wayyyy longer than they need to be.

The organization is extremely young, which means that they're still figuring out how to make everything run smoothly. That said, the kindness of the staff, excellent mission, and good work-life balance make it a great pit-stop before you pursue the career you really want.
Good opportunity to make a difference in students' lives.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 7, 2016
Working with students and seeing them develop over a year is extremely rewarding. This is a job where you can make a difference. Some students are a challenge behaviorally and will test your patience. This job is particularly good experience for anyone planning to work in education. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement. Most tutors do not apply again after finishing year. This is the company's first year and management is not very organized. Very little job security since company offers one year contracts and nothing beyond that.
Pros
Health and Dental benefits. Opportunity to make a difference.
Cons
Job listed as stipend, but it is hourly minimum wage pay, short breaks, very little prep time.
Amazing Experience for those passionate about education
SAGA Tutor Fellow (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2016
My experience at SAGA was by far one of the most self-fulfilling experience. It was tough working at a failing school with kids that lag academically some basic skills but SAGA`s model of high dosage tutoring allowed us to successfully help kids. As a tutor, I was working every day with the same students over the academic year. The one on two ratios really helped the kids understand the material and allowed me to develop a mentorship relationship with them and their families. I also learned so much from them, I truly believe that I am better equipped to fight for educational policy reforms.
Pros
Loan forgiveness, Dynamic Co-workers, Stipend
Great Carreer for Experience in Teaching
Saga Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 11, 2015
Saga Innovations is a wonderful career for obtaining teaching experience. Here they grant you prepared lessons to teach, you get to work one on one with your students and you get to work with the parents in order to help better your students learning. The co-workers are amazingly wonderful, however the only downside would be the low pay of a stipend of $18,000 for 11 months of work.
Pros
Excellent Co-Workers
Cons
No breaks, Short Lunch, Low Pay

Want to know more about SAGA Innovations?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAGA Innovations. Our community is ready to answer.

SAGA Innovations Reviews by Job Title