SAGE Dining Services Employee Reviews

Not as from scratch as they claim
FSD (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 7, 2019
Upper management is responsible for creating budgets for accounts. Many accounts are understaffed within that budget. Many empty promises with this company.
I Really Liked The Job
Prep Cook/Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 6, 2019
The job wasn't too hard, free meal every day, sick time and vacation time that you accumulate, and management was great. The job did not feel stressful most times which was a plus and the hours were great.
Pros
free lunch, management
Cons
not able to work all year
Upper management was terrible, little training
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 2, 2019
I received little training and had 2 district managers each giving me different directives and then upset no matter what I did since I couldn't please them both. They offer healthy food with lots of choices but that also created an incredible amount of waste. Understaffed, so I worked 10+ hours daily. It was a new account for them so plenty of people were sent "to help" but they mostly hung out and went out partying at night while the school paid for their hotel and meals while providing little actual assistance or training. This was the worst company I have ever worked for. However, the school - teachers and students were very nice and complimentary.
Pros
Free lunch, school environment
Cons
Horrible upper management, company culture, food waste
Laid back yet productive
Line/ Prep/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 17, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of arrving at around 10-11 am and getting off at 7:15. Reduced to help others since a set station didn't need much. It was nice.
Pros
Free lunches, good prep time, good people
Cons
Set second shift, no weekends off.
Was a nice place
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Front Royal, VANovember 15, 2018
Very nice and chill environment. It was quick paced but working with the other team members was very fun but yet demanding because we always had to satisfy our customers quickly.
Good place
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 14, 2018
How are they gonna be in town for the rest in the morning but I'm not going back home yet again I have a new one of my favorite place from the first time
They lore you in with great pay and benefits but......
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 13, 2018
Once you get into the door, you will meet some great people but People don't quit bad jobs they quit bad management.

We all understand management has to follow procedures of a corporation but some are out for themselves holding back employees from moving up into the company, so they don't lose them or just plain skipping them over.
I've watched so many employees get moved around like boxes on a shipping truck. Forced to take the same job with an longer commute at another location for less money.
If you are a Chef stay away from this company unless you become a salary manager because that is the only way to get taken care of or be heard.
Pros
Pto, Some holiday pay, Paid sick leave, more family time
Cons
Health insurance is the worst, spend more time watching videos and taking HACCP test, You cant be inspirational here, if its not in the bad recipes you cant put it in there, Salt pepper oil is the SAGE way
All around ok environment with shady people
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2018
Sage dining was a very interesting experience since it was my first job. The amount of life lessons and problem solving methods I learned is something I take away from my time here. An average day at work is some what easy with the occasional late arrives of students who may have not received there food for various reasons.
Pros
good food paid vactions
Cons
poor mangement
Good people that can work together
Lead Cook (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 4, 2018
Great company to work for always giving people opportunities in life to travel around the world meet new people.
They give the opportunity to meet new people to go around the world to make better choices with their life to be able to go back to school and help themselves
It was always busy never a slow day
Assistant Chef (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 4, 2018
The company was a good company to work for the client we worked
for was a very busy one serving 500 students a day. The chef was a little hard to work for at times but serving the students was great.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
low pay
Good company to work for
FSD (Former Employee) –  Bryn Mawr, PAOctober 29, 2018
Good benefits. Some nights, some weekends. Great support from DM. Decent pay. Great recipe data base. Great support from dietary department. If you are offered a job, take it.
Pros
Free lunch, good hours.
Cons
More vacation for long time employees
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 29, 2018
SAGE is focused on being the largest independent school food service program. The hardest part of the job was convincing the school Business Officer that the yearly changes SAGE made to display items was necessary. The most enjoyable part was working with the client.
Great place to Work.
Prep Cook/ Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAOctober 22, 2018
I worked at Greater Atlanta Christian Academy preping dishes for grades PreK thru Fifth. I also ran the commercial dishwasher. I also received and stocked according to First In First Out.(FIFO).I loved working with my co-workers, but I was not able to obtain health insurance and if I stayed, I was going to lose my husband's health insurance.
Pros
Free lunches, great people.
Cons
Distance I had to drive, no insurance
Haphazard sometimes caotic.
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 7, 2018
This job appears to be good for cooks and prep cooks, but not for dishwashers and stockers which seemed to be doing a lot of work all the time. I noticed a lot of conversations/talking while I was working.
I had to many bosses. No chain of command..
Minimum wage job
Server, Food (Former Employee) –  Thompson, CTOctober 3, 2018
I worked here about a year and a half, constant look over by the manager, he would constantly tell the staff that if you don’t like it here there’s the door, at every meeting
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Management constantly harping on staff
Sage
District Manager (LA, AR) (Current Employee) –  Lutherville, MDSeptember 28, 2018
SAGE is a quality company with high standards and a great business model. They pay well and are fair with their benefit package. The position is better than past ones because the standards never change and management is fair and follows the rules. I wish I would have found out about SAGE 10 years ago.
Make u work 12 hours a day 6 days week
FSD (Current Employee) –  Milton, MASeptember 7, 2018
Lack of support low wage scale for salary employees. Make you take vacation time during shutdown. Start at 6:00 am leave at 8:30 pm
DMs are fine owners are getting greedy
Pros
Some locations are good to work
Cons
Long hours low pay
Not worth the stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 3, 2018
Management was not good.The manager does not know how to separate business from friendship. I had numerous task and was on getting paid for one. There is no team work. Very petty and stressful environment.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
underpaid
A good place to work
Admin (Current Employee) –  Lutherville-Timonium, MDAugust 9, 2018
There can be issues like any company, but it's an overall nice place with good company culture. People get promoted all the time, and for the industry, the hours are awesome
Pros
Company culture, events
Cons
Bad communication
Cool place
Preparer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 6, 2018
I enjoyed this company with my many coworkers that I had over 16 years. Anyone who would like to work here is making the right decision and I would back them up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAGE Dining Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

1.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight