Sage Publishing Employee Reviews

Relationship focused work place with lots of support
IT PROGRAM MANAGER (CONSULTANT) (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 25, 2018
If you have good relationships, it is a great place to work, to learn a great deal and progress your career. If you have good relationships you will have good support as well as autonomy in managing your work.
Pros
Company provided lunch every Friday, great benefits
Cons
pay is a little on the low side but environment is suportive
Fast paced, high stress workplace
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 22, 2018
There is an incredibly high turnover rate when it comes to these assistant positions, and it's mainly because there is very little standardization of processes across the different lists in College Books and thus the assistant training is lacking. The overall mission of the company is wonderful and the company is very charitable. Middle management is great, but the highest level of management is very out of touch with the what assistants are doing on any given day and will pile on extra work whenever someone else is feeling stressed. High levels of dissatisfaction at the assistant level.
Great people and work but high-stress
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAJuly 12, 2018
Wonderful coworkers who are passionate working on product they believe in.

Too much emphasis on fast growth without equal resources to timely updating system to the systems and tools required for day-to-day functions or increasing headcount
Pros
Free lunch on Friday for all CA offices, good benefits
Cons
Pressure to grow the business too fast without additional support infrastructure
SAGE is a great company to work for!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CASeptember 22, 2017
Working at SAGE is great. I like working for an organization with a strong mission that is doing good in the world. My colleagues are friendly and professional. My job is challenging and I think I have lots of opportunities to learn and develop professionally. I've been promoted multiple times while I've worked here.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, good colleagues, pleasant working environment
Good employer if you like working in cults
Copy editor (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJune 27, 2017
In my 45 years as a writer and author, I have never met a more disagreeable bunch. The cultist mentality is alive and well there, especially at the Thousand Oaks office -- if you do gain employment, be prepared to toe the line as the cliques intend.
Cons
The cubicles is the last place you'll find leadership.
Very Family Oriented Place to work
Senior Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAMay 2, 2017
Great place, great benefits, great employees
Learned XML edited and encoding
Learned a lot about journals publishing
Great culture
Loved going to work everyday
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, paid education
Cons
Don't have any really
SAGE is an excellent place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Thousand OaksAugust 30, 2016
SAGE is an example of the best of both worlds: a growing company that is large enough to matter in the industry, but is privately held and still feels like working for a small company that cares about its employees and customers. SAGE has a clear vision and values, and employees are regularly kept informed of how SAGE is performing within the ever-changing academic publishing industry. The SAGE culture is one of consideration and kindness, and employees generally treat each other with respect. Most people at SAGE feel they are doing meaningful work for a company that cares about its employees.

SAGE has grown considerably over the past 10+ years, and as a result, the pace of work and change at SAGE is fast. SAGE is a great place for those who like to be a part of a growing and evolving organization.
Pros
Excellent benefits, free lunch Fridays, paid anniversary trips
Cons
Very busy, changing environment
Pleasant collaborative work environment
Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 4, 2016
SAGE is an exceptional company with a professional work environment. The employees are passionate about the quality of the higher education content that produces.
Pros
SAGE offers an amazing benefits package.
Editorial Intern Experience
Editorial Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2016
I worked as an editorial intern and really liked that I was thrown in head first. I learned a lot during my six months. My supervisor was very understanding, informative and willing to teach me as much as I wanted to learn. When I told her that I was interested in learning more so I can apply to some full time roles she gladly started to include me in meetings and other trainings. Hours were a good balance with home life. I came in earlier than most so I could leave earlier to be home on time to pick up my kid. I liked that they are flexible with hours. I would have loved if I could've gotten a full time position, but unfortunately they tend to move slowly when it comes to interviewing and hiring. Other than that, great company and great people. Wish I could have stayed!
Pros
Flexible hours, friendly management, great culture, free meals during company editorial meetings
Cons
As an intern seeking to become full time, they tend to move very slowly when it comes to interviewing after they post open positions, internship pay is only $12 hour
Toxic work environment
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAMay 22, 2015
This company is a direct reflection of what's wrong with this country, in my opinion. The top 3% are being paid for doing nothing but wreaking havoc on the other 97%. The special people can do as they please, work as they please, when they please and how they please. There is no investment in the rest of the employees. A free lunch doesn't make up for the lack of professionalism and support for those doing most of the work. Senior management is deluded. They see themselves as better than in reality. It's an environment of privilege, where there is none. The narcissists prevail in this company because they hire each other into management positions.

Toxic environment, but you'd never know it from the outside.
Pros
Cons
Work environment. Lack of support.

Want to know more about Sage Publishing?

Ask a question