Saginaw Control and Engineering Employee Reviews

great work environment
Mechanical Engineer Internship (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMarch 13, 2019
my boss was great to get along with, work with, and great as a mentor. other than the long hours I really enjoyed my time there and would recommend any engineer to work there.
Pros
on site lunhc center
Cons
long hours, 10 hour days
Poor work environment
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMarch 8, 2019
Do yourself a favor and don't get trapped in a place like this. Terrible management, low pay, poor work culture. If you want to move up you have to kiss ***.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
poor management, toxic culture, low pay
Find something else
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 30, 2019
The management is so poor, HR is also horrible. Find something else, do not ruin your life or waste your time with this company. The only good thing is the benefits and you can find another place with the same.
Pros
Made some friends
Cons
Management, Hr, No appreciation
Great Career - With Great Benefits
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 29, 2019
I love working at SCE! I'm so grateful I found a job with great benefits before I even graduated from college. The free health insurance is a big bonus to me. Especially since I'm about to start a family.
Good secure Job with opportunities
Sales (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 28, 2019
I have been with SCE for over three years. I started in entry level position and with any job in this world, you show up when you are suppose to, you work on learning your job and keep improving at it, you keep a positive attitude and show that you are an asset you will advance in this company. I had no experience in manufacturing before I started here. And doing the things I just listed above I have advanced through this company into new positions with more responsibilities and more income. From what I've seen written on these reviews, I have never witnessed an employee being let go without numerous chances on fixing the issue they had. Employee retention is key to this organization. There are many things this organization does to try and keep employees happy along with many incentives. Yearly raises, employee review raises, company picnics, weekends off, nice vacation plan, 100% employer paid healthcare!!, cheap dental plan offered, 4% matching 401 retirement plan, along with many other incentives I can't think of at this time. They will invest thousands of dollars on training new hires and current ones that are learning new positions. I can agree that there are some coordinators and supervisors that could use some extra help on leading their people (which you get anywhere you work) but I can say that the majority of these coordinators and supervisors are great to work for. I highly recommending working at SCE. The experience has been great for me.
Pros
what i had listed in my review
Great Atmosphere
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 28, 2019
I have been an employee with SCE for just over two years. In this short time, I have found that if you are willing to bust your butt and go above what they ask of you, you will be rewarded ten fold. I started in powder and it was fast paced, fun and easy. I like how everything is merit based. This creates a much better environment in my opinion, because you are paid for your knowledge and work ethic instead of who's butt you kiss. Paid health care is an absolute wonderful thing. I was paying over $780+ a month at a previous employer. HR and the managers are fair and listen to your requests.
Tons of advancement opportunities
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MINovember 12, 2018
Working here has changed my life. Having stared a family young, SCE gave me an opportunity to provide for them. If you come to work with a positive attitude and are willing to work, you will succeed here and make good money. The benefits alone are worth it.
Pros
Benefits, pay, growth
Not Recomended
Weld Finisher (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MISeptember 26, 2018
Very stressful environment, poor management, expected to set up and clean up before and after shifts start/end.
Poor communication with management, little to know help or guidance after poor training.
Stressful and fast paced job
Welder/Robot Operator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MISeptember 13, 2018
Tough work and unpredictable hours and hot work environment made this place difficult to work at. The people I worked with were great but management was not so good.
Great place to build a career
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 10, 2018
I’ve spent 8 years with SCE and expect many more. I enjoy the work I do and the people I work with. Managers are fair and the company has outstanding benefits. I’ve watched the company grow and make improvements in technology, production equipment and training. I’m happy to work for a company where my feedback and suggestions can make an impact and I can go home feeling proud of an honest days work.

Although SCE is nationwide and a leader in the industry, it’s still a small family run company. Everyone has to pull their weight in order for the company to succeed. I like that the company recognizes hard work and holds everyone accountable for their actions. If you do good quality work and are a reliable person, you’re rewarded with raises and advancement.

One of the best things at SCE is that it promotes from within and trains employees. I started in an entry level position and worked my way up. They gave me a chance to prove myself and build new skills. I know that as my interests change or positions become available, I’ll be able to move around the company as I build my career. The company is big enough to offer opportunities in every area of business, both in the shop and in the office.

My job supports my family well and provides excellent benefits. In 8 years, I’ve never paid a premium for health insurance. No weekly deductions for health coverage for me and my family, plus the coverage is excellent. With the merit based pay and outstanding benefits package, I’ll be at SCE for many, many more years to come.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, Advancement Opportunities, Good raises, Positive work culture
Good place to make a career if you dont mind work
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 9, 2018
I went to SCE to restart my career after being laid off from another employer. One thing I can say; SCE takes care of their people. They expect you to work, not just come to work. If you do, they hook you up. I got 3 raises in my first 6 months.

I used to be a brick layer now I am running a machine. I like that they brought me on and taught me the basics. Heard some guys complain about the heat.. go lay bricks for 10 hours then get back to me. Fact is, SCE is pretty comfortable as factories go. Overall pretty happy here. Clean environment, frequent pay increases and paid training. The medical is great too . Good place to work if you actually work.
Pros
Raises come fast, good benifits, stable
Cons
Not really a con but its hard work. I knew that going in.
SCE does NOT deserve you!
Packaging Worker (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 4, 2018
I will not recommend SCE to anyone anymore. There was a time where I thought it was a good job, but over my three years of employment with this company I realized that we were nothing but numbers and machines to them that could all be replaced at a moment's notice. You have no job security there, they can literally pull you aside one day and terminate you without giving you a legit explanation. This job had decent pay, but money isn't everything. I was not happy working there. I had to force myself to stay positive everyday. The job is stressful, you don't feel valued (despite what they say), they will make you work mandatory over time, which is great at first, but you will miss having a life after almost two years straight of it. But worst of all, just simply knowing that your employment could end at any time without warning does not help at all either and makes the job even more stressful. Stay away from this company, it's not worth it and they don't deserve you. Take it from me, everyone I know that has quit or been fired from this job was happier in the long run for it.
Pros
Decent Pay, Good Benefits, Lots of Overtime
Cons
Poor Management, No Job Security, Mandatory Overtime, Stressful Work Environment
Unbeatable Health insurance, Below average job
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, OHAugust 2, 2018
The health insurance is paid 100% by the company. If that is worth a lot to you the job may be worth it.

The management is poor. Will not address legitimate concerns. Many instances of unprofessional and disrespectful behavior.

The work is boring but all in all is fine. Operating a forklift and computers 80%-90% of the time. Physical labor the other 10%-20%.

Small raises every 6 months based on performance of 40 or 50 cents.

No schedule flexibility and regular forced overtime.

A culture of us against them. (management vs employees, distribution center vs production facility, etc)
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Poor long term work environment
Good people poor time management
Assembly (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 21, 2018
The title says it all the people that work with you there are a great group of guys, unfortunately there is a disconnect between management and the general laborers there when it comes to the importance of something called morale. The low morale of the workforce there is caused by the lack of understanding by management to properly use the time that have to workers there. Which includes the fact that although during the interview process you are told that they try to work 8 hour days there, unfortunately we have not worked 8 hours in over 2 years that I have been employed there, and it seems daily management is scrabbling to find/make-up work so that we stay 10 hours everyday.
Take what you can get
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 19, 2018
Working here was really great when I was a new employee. The longer I worked there I realized there is a lot of favoritism. If you’re not in the “click” then you won’t get anywhere. Supervision will huddle up and talk about lots of nonwork related things while bad mouthing the employees they don’t like or feel aren’t as “good” as they are. Supervision is lazy and not interactive unless it’s talking about non work things. But will be the first to yell at you if you stop for even. Second to talk to the guy next to you, even if it’s work related.
Pros
Great Bennifts
Cons
Management no room to advance
Good place to build a career
Welder (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMay 29, 2018
I have been with the SCE for 9 years. There have been a number of improvements since I started. SCE is continually bringing in new equipment and updating the department and the company overall. The shop is very clean and organized. When I give feedback I can see results from my suggestions.

The work is physical and it is very fast paced. Summer can be hot. They spent 2 weeks training me before I started welding and then once I started welding there were people that were available to help when I need it. The majority of my first few months were spent grinding, but I was able to work my way up to a position that involved more welding.

The company covers the cost of health insurance, no money comes out of my pay check.
productive work place.
Assembly (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMarch 19, 2018
Report for work at 6 am, work 10 hour shift and go home. Very fast paced, 2 10 minute breaks and 30 minute unpaid lunch. Very little on the job training before thrown into the mix.
not awful
welder (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 9, 2018
hours suck, sweat shop like work enviroment, very fast paced. will be stuck at same spot forever. cordinators and management stand around and watch you work
good for first time welders
Welder/Fabricator/Robot Operator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 19, 2017
Saginaw control and engineering Is a great place for a first time entry level welder. long hours and weekends were required. management Is not very understanding.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
horrible managment
Great people, hard work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 18, 2017
You have to be there early enough to get your own business done and get to your work station before the bell rings for the shift to start. You learn to work fast and hard. The management wasn't perfect, but they were fair. As an employee you need to understand how they are trying to help you and work with them, and they will work with you. The people are good to work with, everyone is trying to succeed. The hardest part of the job is when multiple areas require immediate attention from supervisors and production slows temporarily. The job was satisfying and enjoyable knowing that you were working hard. Other than that it was just hard work plain and simple.
Pros
access to wide variety of vending foods, fair pay, and great benefits
Cons
hard work, hot environment, miscommunication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saginaw Control and Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.

Saginaw Control and Engineering Reviews by Location