Saint Joseph's University Employee Reviews

Preventative Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 27, 2018
Wonderful place to work for, great benefits. Atmosphere is relaxed and everyone is willing to help out when needed. Free tuition remission program is well worth it
Overall nice experience
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2018
SJU has great benefits but lacks in job growth and advancement for a majority of employees. Their salary pool is biased and unfair but they make up for it in healthcare benefits and tuition reimbursement if you choose to go that route.
Pros
Friday's off in the summer
Cons
Poor management
Productive and fun working atmosphere. Talented co-workers
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF ALUMNI PROGRAMS (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time at SJU but like most things after awhile, it was time for it to come to an end and for me to experience something more.
The work life balance has gotten better at SJU in the alumni and development office since I worked there.
Great experience working as an RA
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 3, 2018
Working as an RA at SJU was a wonderful experience. This job provided the perfect environment to develop skills such as crisis management and time management!
Okay job
Receptionist /Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 27, 2018
This job was just and internship through my school and it was only for a month. My coworker and my boss loved me. I had to start college so I had to leave them
Pros
Good pay, good environment
Cons
Need new software and computers
I like that is different nationalities is a fun place to work with and respectful place to work with
Prep Cook line cook (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 26, 2018
Overall I like the fact that the fear 2 the workers I like the fact that they work with you I like the hospitality I like the benefit package that they have an overall I like the students getting to learn them For that 4 year of college.
Pros
I do like the fact that we can eat lunch there for free
Cons
We do get a half an hour break
Fun work place
Telecommunication Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time their working with different groups of people. As well my enter actions with people in the many departments that was their as well the students
Pros
The people
Cons
some students
Enjoyable Atmosphere.
Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 18, 2013
I work the overnnight shift, so a typical night for me is signing in & out all student guests. Taking time to talk with the students so they know that they are safe when I'm on duty.
I learned thru the students how hard college really is. What they learn & take with them in life has me motivated to apply fro a class.
The management at St. Joseph's University are good. They make sure that I have what I may need & responding very quickly in all incidents
I believe the hardest part of any job is what you make it. I don't let the job work me, I work the job. Meaning I do what is expected of me & more in a sufficient about of time where all my duties for that shift is completed.
The enjoyable part of my job is able to get up & go to work. A lot of times I may say "I don't want to go to work!", but I'm saying it as I'm walking out the door on my way to work.
Pros
Good benefits & working environment.
Cons
Two months off in summer with no pay or unemployment.
productive fun workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2014
typical work day was to check my emails, enter data into the banner server we used, check in with my superior to see if anything was needed to do as far as reviewing my work
management was great, and my co-workers were all motivated individuals with great work ethic. the hardest part of the job was when I had to stuff envelopes for my boss knowing that I had greater potential than something as simple as that task
the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was helping St. Joe's to connect with their alumni and constituents
Pros
close to where i lived, my boss let me set my own hours
Cons
it was only part time so there were no health benefits
Amazing opportunities for growth, but limited growth within institution.
Administration (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 4, 2014
Great benefits, amazing work-life balance, free higher education, wonderful community. The only problem is that there is no track for advancement, and wages are below industry rates. I know that after I leave SJU I will never find a job that offers so many benefits and a culture that seems to care so much for its employees.
Pros
Tuition Remission, Work Life Balance, PTO and Sick leave, Spiritual development
Cons
Little room for advancement, low pay.
Productive and Fast paced environment
Public Safety Lead Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 30, 2014
Majority of the time its busy but I've learned how to multi-task and be proficient with obtaining information. Management is fair for the most part. They try to create a enjoyable work environment. The co-workers are friendly and enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance all aspects of the job duties. The most enjoyable part is learning new things about the job
Pros
Health benefits and uniform allowances
Cons
Short breaks and not enough Vacation time
Solid educational institution
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 3, 2018
SJU is a reasonably expensive private parochial school. Students are generally good, motivated, and pleasant. Other faculty are serious about education, personable, and helpful. The university has high standards.
Pros
Good relationships with students.
Cons
Typical low adjunct pay.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 22, 2017
The University was a great place to work as a student. I gained valuable work experience that I may not have gotten elsewhere. My supervisors were all very pleasant and guided me well when I needed help in certain situations. However, as a part-time student worker, I did not have access to the full benefits package that is available to other workers. Hence I cannot speak to quality of the benefits provided by the University.
Typical university
Periodicals Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2017
Good place to work. Jesuit university. Great campus. Pay not great but lots of perks and benefits. Straddles Philadelphia and suburbs. Cliqueish place.
No just driving.
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 25, 2018
On May of 2016 we sign a come back arrangement for September 2016. Received notes our jobs were outsource on July 2016. Good working place. Worked evening shift for years.
It's a nice enviroment, people are very friendly.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 31, 2017
I like working for SJU. Faculties and other staff members are super friendly and laid back. Admins work 4 days a week and every weekend is a long weekend which is something I don't like but it's okay as the benefits are great. Full tuition reimbursement.
Easy going and considerate
Library Technician/Stacks Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 1, 2017
A typical day working at Saint Joseph's is very busy.

I have learned a whole lot during my many years working there.

My management team very good with time off when taking vacations or sick time.

The workplace culture is good except times when staff gets over zealous thinking that they are in charge when they are not.

The hardest part of the job is getting along with certain staff members.

The most enjoyable part of the job is during the holidays the staff shows some spirit of giving.
Pros
Book store discount
Cons
Very high parking fees
A Fun place to work.
Gate Attendant/Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, Pa. 19131October 27, 2013
A excellent place to work at. Free College Tuition excellent fringe Benefits. The pay scale could be upgraded a little. My Co-workers, Supervisors and Management was exceptional.
Pros
A excellent place to work at. The staff and Students are very Freindly.
Cons
My position was only 8 months out of a year.
great place to work and ride my bike at the same time
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 23, 2014
This employer has one of the best benefits packages I have ever seen. The campus is very safe and I feel very comfortable working there. I have the opportunity to bike patrol the campus as my job. It also gives me an opportunity to get paid for staying in shape by riding my bike.
Pros
riding my bike all day
Cons
no place to each your lunch
Fun and Challenging
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 18, 2014
Being a Graduate Teaching Assistant is challenging.

Not only do you have to take good care of your students, but also get
your own course work done well.

I enjoy helping others and make progress together with them. I also love my major which always make me full of passion!
Pros
learning while support myself
Cons
salary not as good as some other university